Druddigon

[OVERVIEW]

While it is generally outclassed by other Dragons such as Haxorus and Salamence, Druddigon has a niche in UU as a Dragon-type Stealth Rock setter, bringing all the resistances of a Dragon-type while having the ability to support its team with entry hazards. Tyrantrum is another Pokemon in UU capable of performing this role, but it is better off attacking or sweeping in most cases. Druddigon also benefits from its good coverage, most notably a powerful Gunk Shot to surprise Fairy-types, particularly alongside a Roseli Berry, along with a good priority move in Sucker Punch. A solid mix of bulk, power, and support moves such as Glare also make it worth using. However, Druddigon's poor Speed, lack of recovery, and merely average bulk really hinder it and make it easy to wear down.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock Setter
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fire Punch / Earthquake
move 4: Gunk Shot / Glare / Sucker Punch
item: Roseli Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force / Mold Breaker
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Claw provides Druddigon with a consistent STAB move that hits neutral targets for good damage. Fire Punch has near-perfect coverage with Dragon Claw, taking advantage of Sheer Force and beating Pokemon like Forretress, Cobalion, and Whimsicott. Earthquake is an alternative for beating Steel-types, particularly Empoleon, and takes advantage of Mold Breaker to ignore Levitate from Bronzong and Rotom-H as well as Filter and Solid Rock from Mega Aggron and Rhyperior. Gunk Shot hits Fairies such as Florges, Aromatisse and Whimsicott hard, especially with the boost from Sheer Force. Sucker Punch can also be used as a moderately strong priority move that helps to compensate for Druddigon's low Speed and can be used to deal some damage right before Druddigon faints or to pick off a weakened threat. Glare paralyzes foes, slowing them down and potentially giving Druddigon and its teammates free turns.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Druddigon's bulk and power, and 20 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Mega Aggron and Tangrowth. An alternative EV spread of 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe can be used to outspeed Empoleon and Dragalge, which is especially good if using Earthquake. Sheer Force should be used when running Fire Punch or Gunk Shot, while Mold Breaker allows Druddigon to bypass Magic Bounce from Espeon and Mega Absol when using Stealth Rock and Levitate when using Earthquake. Roseli Berry thwarts Fairy-types and is really useful when running Gunk Shot to tank a hit and retaliate hard. Leftovers provides passive recovery, granting Druddigon more longevity. Life Orb is best used with Sheer Force, notably allowing Druddigon to 2HKO Doublade with Fire Punch or Earthquake, as well as OHKO Aromatisse with Gunk Shot, specially defensive Empoleon with Earthquake after Stealth Rock damage, and Forretress with Fire Punch if its Sturdy is broken or if it has Overcoat. Life Orb also guarantees the OHKO on Mega Beedrill with Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Druddigon is best used on teams that need a Stealth Rock setter and appreciate the resistances of a Dragon-type. This set is generally good to use as a lead depending on the team matchup. Getting Stealth Rock up as early as possible is good for chipping away at your opponent's team. Druddigon can also set up Stealth Rock on common offensive threats that it checks such as Rotom-C, Rotom-H, Darmanitan, Entei, and Doublade. When running Sucker Punch, make sure that Druddigon stays healthy for the late-game in case to needs to revenge kill or check a dangerous sweeper. When using Roseli Berry, do not switch into Fairy-type moves with it; rather, it should be used to tank a Fairy-type move and retaliate with Gunk Shot. With Glare, Druddigon can act as a good pivot and provide paralysis support for the team.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Doublade, Entei, Mega Beedrill, Crobat, Mega Aggron and Chandelure complement Druddigon well by taking on Fairies if it isn't running Roseli Berry + Gunk Shot to lure and KO them. Poison Jab on Mienshao as well as Iron Tail on fellow Dragons and Mega Absol make for good lures to Fairies as well. Bulky Steel- and Fairy-types such as Doublade and Florges provide a good defensive backbone for Druddigon as well thanks to their resistances to Ice-, Dragon-, and Fairy-type moves. Sweepers such as Slurpuff and Feraligatr appreciate having Whimsicott, Forretress, and Doublade lured and KOed, as well as the chip damage from Stealth Rock. Fighting- and Dark-types pair well with Gunk Shot Druddigon to benefit from its ability to lure and eliminate Fairies.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Druddigon can use a defensive set with Rough Skin to check physical attackers such as Mega Beedrill, Darmanitan, and Cobalion. Choice Band can be used to wallbreak, but Druddigon is largely outclassed by Haxorus and Tyrantrum in this role, as they are even stronger and are not held back by terrible Speed. Assault Vest is an option to check a large portion of special attackers, but without recovery or Stealth Rock, it's not very useful.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Whimsicott, Gardevoir, and Florges can give Druddigon trouble, but they're all vulnerable to Gunk Shot and, in Whimsicott's case, Fire Punch. Roseli Berry can help Druddigon tank Moonblast from these threats as well.

**Steel-types**: Mega Aggron, Cobalion, and Doublade can switch into most of Druddigon's attacks but, at least in Doublade's and Cobalion's cases, take significant damage from Fire Punch and Earthquake.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl, Azelf, Cobalion, Mandibuzz, and Krookodile can use Taunt to prevent Druddigon from using Glare or Stealth Rock temporarily.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just to save you some work, uh you're not supposed to write the analysis up until it's gotten 2 QC checks, so yeah before that all the stuff should be in bullet points, with the exception of Checks and Counters if I'm not mistaken.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You should definitely mention in the Overview that it's highly outclassed by other Dragons like Mence and Haxorus barring the few unique attributes it has.

Stealth Rock set
  • I reckon Sheer Force should be the primary ability. Custap Forry is not that common or effective, Espy and Mega Absol are destroyed by Dragon Claw anyway, and Bronzong is nailed by SF-boosted Fire Punch. Keep a mention of Mold Breaker in Set Details and list its pros, but for me the main ability should definitely be SF as it's more consistently useful.
  • Fire Punch should be the primary option in the third slot as it offers excellent coverage alongside Dragon Claw and is boosted by Sheer Force. Slash it with EQ which can be used to hit Empoleon.
  • The first option in the last slot should be Gunk Shot I think, as it destroys Fairies on the switch and is boosted by SF too. It can be slashed with Glare, which is very effective on a tankish set like this, and Sucker Punch which offers cool priority.
  • EVs look fine but mention a spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe in Set Details if outspeeding Emp is not that important for the team, as the extra bulk is handy when tanking hits from the likes of Gatr, Rotom-C, or Darmanitan.
  • Mention Roseli Berry as an option to lure in and beat Fairies.
  • In Usage Tips mention that its typing and bulk makes it a nice check to common offensive threats like Entei, Cobalion, Rotom-C, and Doublade.
I'm not sure if Druddi should have any other set onsite honestly. The all-out offensive set is largely outclassed by Haxorus and Mence and the defensive Rough Skin set is outclassed by FatMence and rather ineffective due to the ubiquity of Fairies and Steels and its lack of resistances. Glare / Dragon Tail / SR / EQ is basically a defensive version of the first set and is simply not as effective as it doesn't take advantage of Druddi's main selling points - Sheer Force and the 120 base Attack.

Druddigon's niche in UU is being a Dragon-type that can set up Stealth Rock and hit really hard, and that's what the analysis should focus on. Everything else should be in other options. dodmen Bouffalant what do you think?

approve of the above, i think ass vest should be removed from oo. same with sub. move the rough skin set to oo. only other thing i think is that roseli should at the very least get a slash, i've never really found the lefties recovery /too/ useful on a set like this.

Made the changes that IronBullet suggested. Is Mold Breaker alright as a secondary slash on the set? I strongly feel that it's useful simply for easing prediction against the Magic Bounce users and ignoring Levitate, Filter, Solid Rock, etc.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah slashing MB sounds fine to me, it's useful enough to warrant that. Be sure to mention that if using MB then use Earthquake instead of Fire Punch :)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Dragon type SR setter (mention it faces competition from SR Tyrantrum as Dragon-type SR setter; however, Tyrantrum is better off attacking)
  • Good coverage; can surprise Fairies with Gunk Shot (plus Roseli Berry)
  • Solid mix of bulk, power and support moves (such as Glare)
  • Priority in Sucker Punch (not sure if this is relevant, but this priority is weak against neutral targets as it is unSTABed)
  • Often competes for a slot with fellow Dragons like Salamence and Haxorus
  • Really lacking speed
  • No recovery; easily worn down
  • Bulk is good, but not stellar

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock Setter
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fire Punch / Earthquake
move 4: Gunk Shot / Glare / Sucker Punch
item: Leftovers / Roseli Berry
ability: Sheer Force / Mold Breaker
nature: Adamant
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Dragon Claw provides a consistent STAB move to hit neutral targets with
  • Dragon Tail is an option to phase, but this set lacks to bulk to use it as effectively as the defensive set (remove this mention since the defensive set was moved to OO)
  • Fire Punch hits has perfect coverage with Dragon Claw, notably hitting Forretress and Whimsicott, and takes advantage of Sheer Force
  • Earthquake hits Steel types like Empoleon, Cobalion and Mega Aggron for super effective damage and takes advantage of Mold Breaker for hitting Mega Aggron, Rhyperior, Bronzong and Rotom-H for (more) damage
  • Sucker Punch is a moderately strong priority move that helps to compensate for Drudiggon's low speed and can be used to get a final hit or pick off a weakened threat
Set Details
========
  • EVs outspeed Pokemon with uninvested base 60 speed or below, notably Empoleon, while mainting as much strength as possible
  • 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe can be used if outspeeding Empoleon is not a concern
  • Sheer Force gives extra power to Fire Punch and Gunk Shot
  • Mold Breaker allows it to bypass Magic Bounce from Espeon and Mega Absol and works especially well with Earthquake
  • Combination of offensive presence, priority and natural bulk
  • Roseli Berry lures Fairies and is really useful when running Gunk Shot
  • Leftovers provides passive recovery for Drudiggon to get an extra hit or two in

Usage Tips
========

• Generally good to use as a lead depending on the team matchup; getting SR up as early as possible is good for slowly chipping away at your opponent's team
  • Can also set up SR on common offensive theats that it checks such as Rotom-C, Rotom-H, Cobalion, Entei and Doublade
  • If your opponent has a dangerous sweeper that is vulnerable to Sucker Punch, be sure to save it for late game
Mention here that it is a good pivot with Glare, providing paralysis support for the team
Mention that it shouldn't be switching into Fairies with Roseli Berry, but rather luring them by tanking a Moonblast and proceeding to OHKO with Sheer Force boosted Gunk Shot.
Mention that Druddigon should be on teams that appreciate the resistances of a Dragon-type, but lack a Stealth Rock setter.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that can beat fairies like Florges and Whimsicott or lure them effectively
  • Doublade, Entei, Mega Beedrill, Crobat, Mega Aggron and Chandelure work really nicely as Fairy checks
Combine the two above points into one
  • Poison Jab Mienshao is a good lure along with Iron Tail on fellow Dragons or Mega Absol
  • Bulky Steel and Fairy types like Doublade and Florges provide a good defensive backbone

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• A Life Orb + Sheer Force set can be used to wallbreak and lure Fairies more efficiently, but lacks bulk and cannot afford to use Stealth Rock, one of the moves which gives it a niche
  • A defensive set with Rough Skin can be used to check physical attackers like Mega Beedrill, Darmanitan and Cobalion

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Fairy-types such as Whimsicott and Florges as they are immune to Druddigon's STAB yet they both fear Gunk Shot

Steel-types such as Bronzong, Mega Aggron, and more yet they fear Fire Punch / Earthquake (depending on which move you run, the Steel-type checks will vary)

Taunt users such as Mega Aerodactyl, Cobalion, Mandibuzz, and Krookodile can force Druddigon to not cripple via Glare or set up Stealth Rock.
Pretty solid analysis overall. Implement this and if a real QC member approves, I think this can be your 1st QC check lol.

I think the main reason to use Mold Breaker Druddigon is because it bypasses Magic Bounce when using Stealth Rocks or Glare rather than hitting Levitate users with EQ which Haxorus can do already.

Implemented NV's suggestions finally (was really busy with college work this weekend). I kept the Sucker Punch mention in the overview because I feel that it deserved to be mentioned as an important niche for Druddigon over the other Dragons and Stealth Rock users and helps with the speed issue, but I you feel strongly about it, I'll take it out.

In the intro, reword "often competes for a slot" to something that gets across the point that Druddigon is much more niche than other Dragons.

1/3 nice work!

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This seems fine, I just think outspeeding Empoleon when Fire Punch is the primary slash is pretty strange. I'd also wager that Roseli is better than lefties, especially on an offensive set. Druddigon isn't going to generate too many free turns and the extra HP saved from Roseli would probably outweigh the passive recovery from lefties. Also, Life Orb isn't different from the other sets so I'm not too sure why it's listed in Other Options. The only difference between Life Orb and Lefties sets is that you relegated LO to OO for some reason. LO is a perfectly decent option on the SR set as listed. Notable things from LO are a 2hko on Max HP Empo after any chip, a 2hko on Doublade after any chip, a solid chance to ohko forre, an ohko on aromatisse, and a few others. Dudes like Feraligatr and Slurpuff who appreciate Doublade, Forre, Whimsi getting lured can be good teammates. They also appreciate rocks tremendously.

In the intro, reword "often competes for a slot" to something that gets across the point that Druddigon is much more niche than other Dragons.

1/3 nice work!
Does "generally outclassed" do the trick?
This seems fine, I just think outspeeding Empoleon when Fire Punch is the primary slash is pretty strange. I'd also wager that Roseli is better than lefties, especially on an offensive set. Druddigon isn't going to generate too many free turns and the extra HP saved from Roseli would probably outweigh the passive recovery from lefties. Also, Life Orb isn't different from the other sets so I'm not too sure why it's listed in Other Options. The only difference between Life Orb and Lefties sets is that you relegated LO to OO for some reason. LO is a perfectly decent option on the SR set as listed. Notable things from LO are a 2hko on Max HP Empo after any chip, a 2hko on Doublade after any chip, a solid chance to ohko forre, an ohko on aromatisse, and a few others. Dudes like Feraligatr and Slurpuff who appreciate Doublade, Forre, Whimsi getting lured can be good teammates. They also appreciate rocks tremendously.
I had a Life Orb set on there before, but I never considered putting SR since I didn't have any HP investment on that set. Having Life Orb makes sense now that the main set has both HP investment and Sheer Force. Added all of this.

Should Leftovers be removed completely now that we have both Roseli and LO on there or is it still useful enough to warrant a slash?

Also changed the EV spread from 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe to 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe because the difference in HP is pretty negligible and outspeeding Meggron and Tangrowth is pretty nice.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
  • Actually I think Life Orb should be the third slash. Agree with Roseli being the primary option, but I reckon Lefties deserves to be the secondary option at least just because it goes well with Druddi's nice natural bulk and allows it to switch into resisted attacks more easily.
  • Fighting-types and Dark-types like Hera, Mienshao, Mega Absol, and Sharpedo also appreciate having Fairies lured and KOed so mention them as options for teammates.
  • Choice Band in OO.
  • "Dragon type SR setter; competition from Tyrantrum, but Tyrantrum is generally better off just attacking or sweeping" - it doesn't really face competition from Tyrantrum as it never runs SR, so I think it should be reworded to something like "Only Dragon-type user of Stealth Rock in UU besides Tyrantrum, which is generally better off just attacking".
Nice work, QC 2/3 after the above is implemented!

• Actually I think Life Orb should be the third slash. Agree with Roseli being the primary option, but I reckon Lefties deserves to be the secondary option at least just because it goes well with Druddi's nice natural bulk and allows it to switch into resisted attacks more easily.
  • Fighting-types and Dark-types like Hera, Mienshao, Mega Absol, and Sharpedo also appreciate having Fairies lured and KOed so mention them as options for teammates.
  • Choice Band in OO.
  • "Dragon type SR setter; competition from Tyrantrum, but Tyrantrum is generally better off just attacking or sweeping" - it doesn't really face competition from Tyrantrum as it never runs SR, so I think it should be reworded to something like "Only Dragon-type user of Stealth Rock in UU besides Tyrantrum, which is generally better off just attacking".
Nice work, QC 2/3 after the above is implemented!
Added. What does Band offer over Haxorus and Tyrantrum out of curiosity? Don't see much unique outside of Fire Punch tbh.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
Nothing much, but it's still an item that Druddi can viably run so might as well suggest it. Well other than Fire Punch there's Sheer Force Gunk Shot too, and Sucker Punch priority. Mention it but just say that such sets are highly outclassed by Hax and Tyrant as you mentioned. Assault Vest probably also deserves a mention too but say that in running it you lose out on what actually makes Druddi viable in UU, which is SR.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Was waiting for 3rd QC. I'll get to writing it in paragraph form then.
If you weren't aware, which seems likely judging from this post, you're supposed to write-up the analysis once it's gotten 2 QC checks before getting the third. Just letting you know for future reference.

" getting notable 2HKOs on Empoleon with Fire Punch"

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Druddigon Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 161-190 (43.2 - 51%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

i would instead change that to say that it has a good chance to ohko empo with eq after rocks

is glare really that good in the last slot? idk para is nice and all but hitting fairies / chipping shit with sucker seems more useful to me, thoughts IronBullet dodmen?

not really much to say otherwise, this looks pretty good (although i guess you could mention in the first bit of team options that they're good partners if drudd isn't running roseli gunk), would just like other qc opinions

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
Agree with the EQ change. From my experience using Druddi I actually think Glare provides a nice bit of utility that warrants a second slash at least. The order it's in right now i.e. GS / Glare / Sucker Punch looks fine to me. I think it's better than Sucker anyway which is pretty unreliable and rather weak without STAB or Sheer Force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)