1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Drugs.

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by bear, Jul 13, 2009.

1. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Abusing antidepressants is retarded - if they were abusable then they wouldn't be given to the mentally unstable... How hard is that to grasp?
  2. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

a few antidepressants take quite an important part in some suicide cocktails.

although to be fair, they are (relative) old antideps. psychs don't seem fond of prescribing them... although it does happen.
  3. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

yeah - generally the antidepressants have to be mixed. they're also common in "suicide cocktails" because that's what depressed people have on hand

disclaimer: don't fucking kill yourself
  4. tape

is a Pre-Contributor

your disclaimer made me laugh irl
  5. akuchi

akuchi chaos's bitch

Au contraire - tricyclics (well, Amitryptiline - the other tricyclics are nowhere near as widely used, though a couple of them have significant lethality) are used in a fairly well-regarded suicide 'cocktail', along with tranquillisers, an antiemetic and generally another drug that potentiates it. It's not used because it's commonly to hand - tryclics aren't really prescribed that much these days, and anyway you'd need to be saving your drugs for a very long time to get anywhere near the lethal amount (commonly accepted lethal amount of Amitryptiline is 7-9g, typical daily dosage is 75-150mg). Amitryptiline is used because though prescription-only, it's not a controlled substance (unlike other drugs commonly used in suicide, such as dextropropoxyphene/barbituates) so it's easy to get both online and get through customs. It is, however, lethal on it's own - death is via cardiotoxicity, the sedation isn't required, just makes it more comfortable for the user.

The most generally prescribed drugs to depressives are SSRIs - they're quite often used in suicide attempts/gestures, but they're pretty useless to top yourself with.

edit: and as an afterword, a couple of antidepressants are abusable - wellbutrin, and though not technically antidepressants things that may be prescribed off-label for depression that deal with dopamine/noradrenaline. Though it doesn't technically qualify as 'abuse', I know of people taking certain antidepressants (most notably mirtazapine, though some use tradozone) for sleeping troubles and I once knew a boy who was taking mirtazapine semi-regularly despite absence of depression because they wanted to lucid dream. Finally, antidepressants can be abused by stimulant users to try and avoid a comedown by pre-dosing with SSRIs - I've achieved some success in post-dosing with mirtazapine.
  6. Chubbs

Chubbs

Oh, I was wondering if you know of anything that can stop people dreaming, cause I could really use some. I keep getting these trippy nightmares and they freak me the fuck out to the point that when I get them I cant sleep for about 24 hours afterwards because I'm so freaked out.
  7. tape

is a Pre-Contributor

I'm one of those mirta guys. There are just so many off-label uses to it, it's amazing. I liked the sedation, personally.

But right now I sure could use it to boost my appetite and sleep like a normal person.

And I don't know, I tried mirta without a prescription and it didn't give me the annoyance ALL my other antideps gave me, mainly the whole nausea feeling. Who knows, maybe I'd be a happy, well-medicated person on mirta. But my psych denied it to me and I haven't been there in well over 8 months. I gave up.
  8. bombiron

bombiron

anyone dome DMT?
  9. akuchi

akuchi chaos's bitch

No, but I have done LSD and shrooms.

That's probably due to the antihistaminergic effect mirtazapine has (that's what causes the sedation, too) - have you considered trying one of the meds that didn't work for you before with an antihistamine as an antiemetic?

Are they actually just nightmares, or actual night terrors? Either way, drugs generally aren't the answer, since there's no telling what something that messes with your sleep patterns like that will do - it might get rid, or it might make it impossible to wake up from for more hours. Try meditation/counselling perhaos?
  10. tape

is a Pre-Contributor

I don't know, I don't have any plans to go back to a psychiatrist.
  11. bombiron

bombiron

i want more dreams if anything. even terrifying ones
  12. Llama

Llama

Yeah I could use some dreams, but considering I go to bed sober like 1-2 times a month, I never really dream. Although I had a dream the other night and it was amazing. One of the best dreams I have ever had, and I can still remember almost everything that happened in it, which never happens to me.

Anyways dreams aside, going back up to my school which is still on break, to chill and smoke a half in one smoke session with around 6-7 people. I'm thinking like 8 one gram blunts, and the rest for this fairly nice bong my friend has (2.5 feet tall, 3 perks, and a really nice design).
  13. bombiron

bombiron

just did some looking into and i guess vitamin b6 makes you dream really vividly, and a much higher chance of lucid dreaming, because of how it converts tryptophen into seratonin

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)