ORAS LC Drummerlanche

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DRUMMERLANCHE
A Little Cup Hyper Offense Gimmick Team
Concept courtesy of Rowan

Introduction:

This is my third RMT on these forums, and it is the most aggressive Hyper Offense team I have ever used in Little Cup by an enormous margin. The trinity of Belly Drummers wear down each other's checks allowing one to sweep while the other three Pokemon are capable revenge killers and do their best to facilitate a sweep. This team is a joke and was never meant to succeed, but it works better than I ever could have imagined, as the offensive pressure it applies creates multiple opportunities for one of the Belly Drummers to set up, and even if one is revenge killed, another one can come in and set up. This team is incredibly fun to ladder with, especially when you manage to set up with the secret weapon, and although it might not be consistently successful, you'll often find yourself able to raze your opponents to the ground.

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Trait: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Seed Bomb

Zigzagoon is the only Belly Drummer that sees significant use, but with good reason. After a Belly Drum, Zigzagoon is virtually unassailable, as it can repeatedly use its STAB Extreme Speed in order to sweep, out-prioritizing Fletchling's Acrobatics and Carvanha's Aqua Jet. Thief enables Zigzagoon to bolster its defenses with an Eviolite while preventing it from being walled by the likes of Pumpkaboo and Frillish. Seed Bomb removes Rock-types from the list of things that wall Zigzagoon, OHKOing practically anything weak to it and preventing Shell Smash users from getting the drop on me. Zigzagoon is generally what I aim to sweep with after Magby and Poliwag soften its counters, but depending on my opponents team, Zigzagoon can sometimes be the one paving the way for Magby or Poliwag to sweep. Zigzagoon sets up on a decent variety of foes, particularly if sent out after Diglett's Memento.

Magby @ Berry Juice
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 236 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 10 HP
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Magby essentially fills the same role as Zigzagoon. It sets up when given an opportunity or after a teammate has fallen and then works its foes over with a whopping 68 Attack stat after setting up. Magby's 83 base Speed stat also means its foot is in the door of the 19 Speed tier, and therefore is only outspeed by three unboosted Pokemon in the entire tier. Fire Punch is chosen over Flare Blitz, as Fire Punch nets most of the same KOes as Flare Blitz, and the recoil damage from Flare Blitz would hamper Magby's ability to sweep. Thunder Punch provides great type coverage with Fire Punch, allowing Magby to take down the likes of Archen, Vullaby, Slowpoke, and Skrelp. Mach Punch prevents Magby from being revenge killed by Carvanha and Fletchling after Stealth Rock and also allows Magby to beat Pawniard and Scarf Magnemite. Magby is especially deadly, as although it is more difficult to set up with than Poliwag or Zigzagoon, it is only walled by a healthy Chinchou and can only be revenge killed by Choice Scarf users - which in turn are made into easy setup bait from one of Magby's teammates.

Poliwag @ Berry Juice
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Encore
- Waterfall
- Return

Although Poliwag is probably the least potent of the three Belly Drum sweepers on the team, it is the one most capable of setting up thanks to its Water immunity and Encore, which it can easily use to punish opponents using Water-type moves or setting up entry hazards thanks to it also sitting in the 19 Speed tier. Poliwag is usually the first domino to fall in the Belly Drummer set, as in its aftermath, Magby or Zigzagoon usually find an opportunity to set up. Waterfall is Poliwag's STAB move which annihilates the likes of Archen, Drilbur, Hippopotas, and Larvesta and Return allows it to hammer Croagunk, Foongus, and Cottonee. Although Poliwag is the least likely of the trio to sweep, it can still utterly devastate pieces of teams.

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Memento

Diglett performs some important supporting roles for the team. It traps and revenge kills the likes of Ponyta, Croagunk, Chinchou, Pawniard and Magnemite, it sets up Stealth Rock which allows the Belly Drummers to secure important KOes, and it also provides Memento support for its teammates, allowing for a teammate to set up on a softer foe. Although Diglett is exceedingly frail, it's fast and strong enough to avoid taking damage at times, and even if it is brought down to its Focus Sash, it can still get off a vital Stealth Rock or Memento. Depending on my opponents team, if there are few opportunities for it to revenge kill, Diglett can be used as a suicide lead, setting up Stealth Rock before taking itself down and allowing a teammate to sweep. Sucker Punch is mostly used as a filler move, but it allows Diglett to finish off weakened priority users.

Pancham @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 140 HP / 100 Atk / 180 Def / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Pancham provides the team with pseudo-Memento support, as a slow Parting Shot will not only provide its teammate with a free switch, but also an opportunity to set up on a -1 opponent. Pancham is normally my lead for when leading with Diglett is inappropriate, as Pancham leads off well against most opposing leads. The Knock Off support it can provide softens opponents to the point where they can be easily picked off by Pancham's teammates, and Drain Punch is necessary for beating many of Zigzagoon and Poliwag's checks. Gunk Shot annihilates Cottonee and does severe damage to Spritzee. I've chosen a bulky spread, as Pancham needs to perform its role multiple times throughout a match.

Fletchling @ Berry Juice
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 36 SpA / 100 Spe
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpD
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Grass
- Snatch

Fletchling is the fourth Belly Drummer and the only Shell Smasher on the team. You may notice that my team is, ironically enough, extremely weak to Zigzagoon. After Fletchling revenge kills something like Croagunk or Mienfoo, this gives an opposing Zigzagoon a free opportunity to set up and run through my team. This is where Snatch Fletchling - a set I am enormously proud of inventing - comes in. I steal the Belly Drum from Zigzagoon, get healed to full health by Berry Juice, and destroy the team with priority Acrobatics coming off 60 Attack. Berry Juice is necessary for surviving an Extreme Speed after a Belly Drum, making it a necessary burden. Fletchling can also screw over Shell Smash sweepers. Tirtouga and Omanyte ordinarily see Fletchling as setup bait, but after Snatching a Shell Smash, Fletchling can OHKO them with HP Grass, in addition to doing substantial damage to Chinchou. U-turn allows Fletchling to provide the team with momentum, and the 100 Speed EVs allow Fletchling to outspeed most other Fletchling variants along with most Shell Smash sweepers before setting up.

Conclusion:

Give this team a try. Little Cup is probably the only tier where a team like this could work successfully. It might not be the most successful team in the world, but when played with carefully, many teams cannot stand against it. I've always considered myself a conservative player, but I surprised myself when I managed to bury players with the most hyper offensive team possible. I think I've explained the team very well, but feel free to ask me about anything.

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Trait: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Seed Bomb

Magby @ Berry Juice
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 236 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 10 HP
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Poliwag @ Berry Juice
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Encore
- Waterfall
- Return

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Memento

Pancham @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 140 HP / 100 Atk / 180 Def / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Fletchling @ Berry Juice
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 36 SpA / 100 Spe
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpD
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Grass
- Snatch

Last edited:
I'm not a good teambuilder buy any means, but doesn't Shell Smash Shellder offer more to the team than Poliwag?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)