1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dual Hazards + Volt Turn (Hyper Offense)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Qwertyaaaaaa, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Qwertyaaaaaa

Qwertyaaaaaa

Hi this is my Hyper Offense team. I'm using dual hazards along with volt turn to help keep up offensive pressure.

[​IMG]

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Magic Coat
    - Night Shade

This is my lead, Deoxys-D. This is not your average Deoxys-D moveset. It's custom built to handle threats that usually threaten it. When I usually use Deoxys-D I usually have trouble with Pokemon such as Dragonite who see my Deoxys-D as setup fodder. With red card, I force a switch and I'm usually able to get off a stealth rock all of my spikes. Magic Coat is to bouce back taunts and status. Night shade is for those pesky substitute users who see my Deoxys-D as substitute fodder. From my experience it usually only has trouble when something is powerful enough to 2HKO it.

[​IMG]

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    - Overheat
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

This is my Infernape. It is a mixed attacker, which I find useful for destroying SkarmBliss and SkarmChans cores. U-turn allows me to keep great offensive momentum and it generally just works very well alongside my Jolteon and Scizor. U-turn spam between Infernape and Scizor helps when dealing with bulky psychics. Stone Edge is useful as it hits a lot of things that think they can come in on Infernape and completely wall it

[​IMG]

Jolteon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my Jolteon. It's incredible base speed and decent special attack often come in handy. It also serves as my check to Tornadus-T. It works well with Infernape thanks to Volt Switch. thanks to volt switch, I can easily switch out against Ferrothorn that try to wall me into my Infernape, which poses an immediate threat to it with its overheat. Shadow Ball hits things like Latios, Gengar and Alakazam. Hidden Power Ice hits various dragons. IT's also very useful for prediction. I like sending out Joleton when I know the opponent doesn't want his precious bulky water to die. I predict the inevitable switch into Ladorus or Garchomp and blast them with Hidden Power Ice.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

This is my Scizor, my steel type and priority user. As you may have already noticed, I like using it along with Infernape and Jolteon. Especially along with Infernape as Infernape resists obvious fire type attacks that people will use to try to fry Scizor. But let's talk about how badass this guy is. with his Choice Band boosted bullet punch. It's good for saving my ass against many threats such as weakened dragonite with +1 in attack in speed. Hell this thing is just good at checking dragons period. It's a steel. With Stealth Rock and Spikes up it has the potential to plow though teams that don't have bullet punch resist. Pursuit is good for trapping Choiced Latias or Latios. I honestly haven't found much of a use for Superpower on Scizor to ell you the truth. It's till one of the most valuable menber of my team though.

[​IMG]

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

The fact that Salamence is one of my favorite pokemon coupled with his amazing light game sweeping ability is the reason why this guy is on my team. It's pretty simple. I generally wait until late game, after I kill most/all of it's checks to send him out, boost with Dragon Dance, and sweep. Hard to stop, considering that this amazing combination of attacks is only resisted by Heatran with an Air Balloon. When used late game my Salamence is usually only stopped by random choice scarf users.

[​IMG]

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Giga Drain

Gengar is my spin blocker. It fits in very well with the overall theme of my team, which is hyper offense. If the opponent does not have anything faster or anything with priority, it has absolutely amazing sweeping potential after both stealth rock AND spikes are out. Shadow Ball has nice stab, Focus Miss er... Focus Blast (Sometimes I consider HP fighting) hits stuff liek tyranitar and the like, Thunderbolt is for the Water and Flying types, and Giga Drain hits walls like Quagsire and Gastrodon.
  2. BlankZero

BlankZero

I like the idea, but you could be running a FAR more efficient Deo-D set. I'll give you two I think would do better for your team.

First Set:

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Skill Swap

This set is aimed at not only getting hazards up and ruining normal setters (other Deo-D's, Forry/Ferro, etc), but can also screw up Magic Bounce users that feel like coming in to bounce back Hazards (Espeon and Xatu). Skill Swap isn't affected by Magic Bounce, and Mental Herb will help with faster Taunt users, allowing you to Taunt back. Skill Swap also ruins things like Jirachi's Serene Grace, Dugtrio's Arena Trap, and even some Levitate users will be a bit screwed (Rotom-W for one.) This set isn't a "standard set", but the person who brought it my attention, Princess Bri, is a very skilled user, and it works magic as both a lead and Anti-lead.

Second set:

Deoxys-Defense @ Fire Gem
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt

Once again, fast Taunt to ruin setup users, but this time, you have a bit of backup too. this is the Suicide Lead Deo-D. Setup hazards and die, but try to keep them off your side at the same time. Gem-Boosted HP Fire will break Ferrothorn, bring Forry to Sturdy, as well as Defensive Skarmory and will even mess up Scizor trying to U-Turn you to death, or even Bug Bite. the weakness here is losing the Mental Herb/Skill Swap invincibility for a bit of surprise factor.

I hope this helps.

Also, I'm sure you'll hear this a lot, but get rid of Infernape please.

Good Luck!
  3. Qwertyaaaaaa

Qwertyaaaaaa

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those.

also, what's wrong with Infernape?
  4. BlankZero

BlankZero

Honestly it's just not a very good Pokemon. It's attacking stats are nice, but it just falls short in OU with how frail it really is. You'd almost be better off running Choice Scarf Darmanitan over it.
  5. Asek

Asek A heart of stone, a smoking gun
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hi

Cool team. First off change your scizor spread to 248HP/ 252Atk/ 8SpD. This will maximize you're switch ins to stealth rocks and can come in handy in some situations when you need to keep that little bit of health. I would also use Outrage > Dragon Claw on salamence. I think the lock in effect is worth it for the large power buff you recieve, allowing you to have a larger power output quicker and really hurting the opponent's team with only 1 turn of set up needed to be an absolute monster.

You're gengar set could be changed to make better use of the hazards Deoxy is providing. I would use the Subdisable set so you gain a Pseudo PHazer to rack up damage with your hazards. It also stops starmie from switching into you and nuking you with an attack to then spin away your hazards, as substitute keeps you nice and safe from those situations. Disable is just good to force things out in general, choices pokemon and pokemon who only carry one move to hit gengar will all be forced out by a timely disable. This is an incredibly efficient method to protect and abuse your hazards at the same time, and can definitly do more than your current set.

Seconding changing infernape to another pokemon, I'm not sure what to atm because I'm tired and have to work lol. I guess you could try out Choice Band Terrakion in this slot, he blows through skarmbliss and is incredibly hard to switch into, carries the same speed tier with a better secondary STAB, more power but alas he doesn't have U-Turn so if you really need a U-Turn fighter then I guess mienshao or infernape are you're best bets. I strongly reccomend you do try CB Terrakion, as it just makes infernape look bad with its amazing high power attacks just being too much for many teams to handle, most relying on a revenge killer to beat him, so you can know you will be doing serious damage each time you switch in.

GL with the team
    sets (open)
    Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
    Trait: Levitate
    EV's: 252SpA/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Substitute/ Disable/ Shadow Ball/ Focus Blast

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
    Trait: Justified
    EV's: 252Atk/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Close Combat/ Stone Edge/ X-Scissor/ Quick Attack
  6. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Hi there,

Cool team you have here! At first, I suggest you to change Dragon Claw into Outrage on Salamence only because Outrage has more power and with 1 turn of setup, Salamence becomes a war machine which can destroy everything. I'd use also Lum Berry, replacing Life Orb. Salamence doesn't need other fire power now that it has Outrage and Lum Berry allows to setup on Politoed, Heatran, Tentacruel, Breloom and so on without worrying to get an annoying status from Scald, Toxic, Thunder Wave and Spore. Then, your team hasn't a Choice Scarf pokèmon and because of this it's weak to a lots of setupper like Volcarona and Dragonite, therefore I suggest you to change Infernape into Choice Scarf Terrakion. I will post its set later in this rate. Finally, as already said Asek, I'd change Scizor's EV spread to 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef. 248 EVs on HP allows to take less damages from Stealth Rock and that can be useful in many occasions.

Hope I helped with this rate, good luck!

Terrakion's set:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - X-Scissor
  7. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi there,

Interesting Hyper Offense team you got here. The main issue I did see with this team is the lack of a Choice Scarf Pokemon. You really have no insurance whatsoever against opposing Choice Scarfers / stat boosters, meaning you may be forced to sack something everytime one switches in or even risk being swept down to having no way to beat it. There are a couple ways to fit a scarfer into your team, the easiest being to switch Salamence over a to Choice Scarf set, and drop Dragon Dance for Outrage. Salamence is probably one of the most potent users of Choice Scarf when combined with Moxie allowing for easy late game sweeping. Alternatively something like Choice Scarf Terrakion / Keldeo would work fine over Infernape, as Infernape is very mediocre in this metagame due to Rain and has a lot of common counters. You may want to try out both on the same team, mainly because you really have nothing to switch into anything that poses some offensive presence, meaning you might be forced to sack a Pokemon everytime something switches in.

If you don't want to use both scarfers, then I think you could slightly modify one of your sets slightly to help out against the plethora of Pokemon that cause you trouble. Right now, it's a little worrying that your only Dragon resist is Scizor, who still risks taking a huge amount of Dragon moves upon switching in. If you change your EV spread to 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SDef then you gain some insurance against Dragons, namely Latios and Latias as Specs Draco Meteor will never 2HKO meaning you can Pursuit trap them and remove them making it easier for Salamence to sweep. It also gives you some extra insurance against Gengar and Politoed, who are also big threats to this team.

Agreeing with BlankZero, you're really not getting the move out of your Deoxys-D with your current moveset. The main reason to use Deoxys-D on Hyper Offense is because of how good it is at setting up and preventing hazards, something that will make life easier for Scizor and Salamence. I'd strongly recommend dropping Red Card for Mental Herb, and trying out Taunt over Night Shade. Mental Herb gives you an edge against opposing Taunt leads such as Terrakion, whereas Taunt stops you from being setup fodder, just like Night Shade. You may also want to try out Thunder Wave on Deoxys-D, probably over Magic Coat as I'd argue that slowing down Tornadus-T / Keldeo / Terrakion is a lot more important for your team than bouncing back hazards -- not to mention that Mental Herb + Taunt does a good job of doing it anyway.

Also looking over your Jolteon set, I did notice something. Jolteon is your main check to Tornadus-T, but doesn't really hit all that hard. Given that you said Jolteon is useful for prediction, why not try out Substitute + Baton Pass > Volt Switch + Shadow Ball? Given that you have no Rapid Spinner and Jolteon is running Life Orb, you'll be worn down very quickly, while this set requires minimal prediction. Substitute and Baton Pass allows you to pass Substitutes over to your team mates, most notably the scarfers (if you choose to use them!) blocking hits from your opponent and making it much easier to sweep. You may also want to run Leftovers over Life Orb on Jolteon, compensating for the fact that you will be making a lot of Substitutes. Just something to try out, given your team is very offensive I think it will work nicely.

Good luck!
  8. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

Hi there.
    It is a very good hyper offense, it is effective and strong, and then I see Jolteon, it is an interesting pokemon and it has a very good speed, with Life Orb it may be a very good sweeper.
    But I see that you are weak against Latios/Latias Calm minder or Life Orb with Hidden Power Fire because Scizor bander can't outspeed Latias and Latios and after a calm mind Gengar or Jolteon does not kill with Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Ice (252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. + 1 252 HP / 0 + SpD Latias: 166-198 (28.3 - 54.39(1)(c) %) - 3.13% chance to 2HKO) / / /(252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 0+ SpD) Latias: 101-120 (27.74 - 32.96%) - possible 4HKO)
    Deoxys-D can not the outspeed and Salamence also, I suggest you to Scizor in Choice Scarf, I explain you: Scizor Scarf with its 65 bases in Speed, it has 370 speed if it has the "Jolly" nature, Scizor Scarf can outspeed Starmie/Latios/Latias/Terrakion/Gengar/Çelebi, then the opponent can rarely switch against Scizor if he has Hidden power Fire, Now you can come easily and kill him with the Uturn move.

But now that you have Scizor Scarf Reuniclus Bulky CM is a problem for your team because you do not have much luck with Uturn for the 2HKO and Reuniclus CM Bulk has Recover (252 Atk Scizor U turn vs. 252 HP / 252 + Def Reuniclus: 200-236 (47.16 - 55.66%) - 18.75% chance to 2HKO) then even if you own Gengar, Reuniclus is 2HKO by ShadowBall after a Calm mind (252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. + 1 252 HP / 4 SpD) Reuniclus: 260-307 (61.32 - 45.0%) - guaranteed 2HKO)
    And then you possess Gengar, that's good but it has no good defense, it is not hard to kill him, and then if the opponent has a Tentacruel or Forretress/Donphan, Gengar can not come often because it does not paint split and Starmie 2HKO Gengar, I suggest you put Sableye on Gengar , Sableye is a pokemon interesting for your team, it has an ability (Prankster) , with Will-O-Wisp it can burn a physical sweepers if he wants to move and it can be treated with Recover then it is 3HKO by Surf of Starmie (252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 252 HP / 252 + SpD Sableye: 123-145 (40.46 - 47.69%) - guaranteed 3HKO) then Sableye is the best counter against reuniclus because it can not touch with Focus Blast or Psyshock.

Scizor
    Show Hide
    Scizor (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch/Night Slash
    - Iron Head
    - Superpower

Sableye
    Show Hide
    Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Night Shade/Foul Play
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Taunt

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Scizor--->Choice Scarf>Choice Bander
    Gengar--->Sableye

Hope I Helped and Good Luck with your Team.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)