1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dual Regeneration

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Owen, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Owen

Owen

Well, this is my 4th RMT, and today I bring my dual regeneration team.

Now, the main aspect to this team is the heavily defensive core, so here it is.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Fang

The Weather Starter, Bulky Staller, and Supporter all at the same time. Hippowdon tends to be heavily underrated, and I really cannot see why, with stats like these he can even take hits from Pokemon like Terrakion, Salamence, and other godly attackers. He has Ice Fang to deal with pesky dragons and Ice types, Slack off for stall, Earthquake for stab, and Stealth Rock for entry hazards.

Slowbro (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Thunder Wave
    - Flamethrower
    - Slack Off

Normally, when you see a Slowbro, you're expecting maxed out Def and Leftovers, well with mine, this is not the case. With Rocky Helmet, Slowbro can take U-turn, and damage the attacker at the same time. Slack off is essential for stalling, and thunder wave can really cripple attackers such as Scizor and Terrakion.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Seismic Toss
    - Toxic
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

Chansey is here, although I am questioning whether or not I should keep it on the team. It takes SP.Atk moves really well, but that isn't a huge issue with Gastrodon and Amoonguss. Aromatherapy, and Toxic for support and Softboiled for stall. Seismic Toss simply for having a attack that actually does damage.

Gastrodon (M) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

With my team, there is many of weaknesses that Gastrodon covers. With it's great SP.Def, I don't have to worry about Hippowdon getting wrecked by water types, or ice types. Earth Power and Ice Beam offer great coverage, and Toxic and Recover are great when stalling.

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Clear Smog

The Second Regenerator is Amoonguss. Now, Amoonguss is a very good Pokemon to this team, as it can lure Pokemon in, hit with spore, switch out and have that Pokemon wreck them. Giga Drain and HP Ice for coverage, Clear Smog for getting rid of boosts.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor

To get rid of the slowness of my team, I added Terrakion as a choice band sweeper, as it offers great coverage for my team, and alot of it's attacks mean the end for many of the Pokemon of the OU tier.

Well, that's about it. Suggestions are more than welcome.
  2. clail

clail

looks like a pretty good team.
    i could see huge troubles with latias as it can basically set up on all your pokemon with a sub calm mind set. also heal bell screws this team over. as does any set up pokemon with rest/sleep talk.

I'd definitely recommend dropping sitrus berry for leftovers on gastrodon.

also, terrakion is still gonna get outsped by quite a few key pokemon. examples being all scarf users, alakazam, and the lati twins.
  3. Livio

Livio

Is your 4th rmt, why don t u use the pokemon sprites?anyway, let s go to rate.

I usuallly prefer special Hippodown with this evs spread 252hp/244spD/8spd, so you can set rocks more easily, overall on things like Ice beam Tyranytar or u may enter on Gengar that Chansey can t stop. Now you need a steel and a spinner too, because a Random Physical Dragon, like Bandnite, could 6-0 you, so my suggestion is to replace Forretress>Terrakion, now you have an hazard setter, a good steel and a spinner. The set could be this.. 252hp/252Def/4spD 0ivs spd and moveset of Spikes/Rapid Spin/Gyro Ball/Volt Switch. If you don t like Forretress another idea could be to replace Skarmory over Terrakion and And Starmie over Gastrodon. All that because you have already a ground type pokemon that can stop Volt chain, The set of Skarmory could be this 252hp/240Def/16spd, so it can Outspeed and Whirlwind others Skarmory, Classic set, bold with Shed Shell to lock eventually magnezione/magnetone with Hippo to retake momentum.

The Spread of Starmie could be this, 252Hp/36Def/220spd With Timid nature, and a moveset of Scald/Psyshock/Recover/Rapid Spin, with this you can Outspeed all its threat and have more entered on Keldeo/Terrakion or alive to a Tytar s Pursuit, you can also try to burn it but only if you are lucky XD. My other suggestion is to use Hidden Power Fire>Ice on Amoonguss, So opponents Scizor, Skarm or Forretress/ferrothorn cannot setupp on you.
    Well, now it s a stall team, because the core is not so offensive and only terrakion i thought was useless.

Hope i helped u, see yaa :)
  4. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey there,

First of all, your team has some problem with dragon types (mainly the physical dragons, you have Chansey to take the special attacks from Latios, Latias and Hydreigon) because it haven't one steel, and with Gengar, mainly the Substitute Pain Split one that can stall Chansey and beat easily the rest of your team. To solve the weakness to Gengar, I'd use Special Defensive Hippowdon in place of your current one, as already said Uomo Solo, it can switch into Gengar and block it easily (if it doesn't lose out a drop to special defense, of course). I'd use this EV spread on Special Defensive Hippowdon: EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef with Impish nature to have both defensive statistics high. Then, I'd use Skarmory in place of Terrakion to solve the weakness to dragons physical and to put the Spikes that are fundamentals in a stall team as your. I'd remove Terrakion because with the spikes you don't need a lategame sweeper and because Terrakion hasn't a good relevancy with the rest of team. You need only the spikes to destroy slowly the opponents' team. Then, I don't understand why you are using Sitrus Berry on your Gastrodon, I'd use Leftovers in place of Sitrus Berry because it's just a better item. Finally, I suggest you to use this EV spread on Amoonguss: EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef, 28 EVs on SAtk allow to break Keldeo's Substitute also after two Calm Mind, Keldeo can be problematic for this team (it can 6-0'd you quite easily, it can beat all your team members). Hope I helped, good luck!
  5. Owen

Owen

Thanks for the tips everyone, here is the team as it stands now:

Show Hide
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SDef
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Fang

Slowbro (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Thunder Wave
    - Flamethrower
    - Slack Off

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Protect
    - Will-O-Wisp

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Clear Smog

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    - Brave Bird
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind

It's been working very well, and even won me a small tournament, but I still feel like it could use a few touch ups. For example, Pokemon like Terrakion completely decimate my team, and I'm not sure what I could change to prevent that.
  6. Gimmick

Gimmick Electric potential

Hey Owen!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (Pictures make rating much easier)

So first off, I see a pretty well balanced stall core with some good synergy. There are two respectable sized problems, though: entry hazards and a lack of speed. In a team based around a Regenerator core, entry hazards will not be fun at all. Chansey will absolutely hate switching in as well, especially because it lacks Leftovers and will already take 6% from sand.

Even on stall teams, speed is very useful to stop set-up sweepers or more simply, fast and problematic Pokemon like Tornadus-T. Those with Superpower can easily toy around with your team, leaving you with some open holes that allow a sweep to happen. Just simply change Terrakion's item to a Choice Scarf and you should be fine. Since Substitute Toxicroak gets to your team (other than Hippowdon), try out Earthquake on Terrakion instead of Quick Attack. Scarf Quick Attack is probably one of the most pathetically weak moves out there and doesn't deal enough damage to be useful on a Scarf set. I know you already replaced Terrakion with Skarmory, but speed is arguably more important, especially when physically defensive Skarmory still takes around half from Tornadus-T's Hurricane.

Before I enter the realm of entry hazards, I want to mention that your EV spreads are somewhat inefficient and don't really accomplish anything. A well built stall team often has dedicated roles for their Pokemon. For example, a fully physically defensive Slowbro paired with a nearly fully specially defensive Amoonguss is hard to break. With mixed defenses on Slowbro, strong physical attackers like Dragonite and Terrakion will be able to get past you, leaving you only with your specially defensive Hippowdon. So, make Slowbro's EV spread max/max with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef. This will tremendously help with your Terrakion weakness as Slowbro easily switches into everything. Even CB Stone Edges. This still leaves you open to SubSD Terrakion since Slowbro's Scald won't be doing anything in Sand, so consider using Psyshock. It ignores the boosts of Sand and deals some significant damage. I don't know what moves you use the most or what you think are useful to you, so I'll leave the replacement up to you. I'd recommend Thunder Wave, though. Without Flamethrower, Ferrothorn seems like a bitch to kill. Scald allows you to spread Burns. Slack Off is way too important. Thunder Wave seems a bit iffy once a Scarf Terrakion is added to help out against DD Dragonite or Tornadus-T. And lastly, Slowbro really does want Leftovers on a Sand team. Taking an extra 6% per turn is definitely not something a wall wants to do. Yeah, I know, Rocky Helmet is a neat item and is pretty creative, but Leftovers prevents those 2HKOs from stuff like CB Terrakion's Stone Edge. Here's what the set should look like:
    Slowbro (open)
    [​IMG] (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Flamethrower
    - Slack Off

If you're set on using a Specially Defensive Hippowdon, you're definitely going to want to use another max/max EV spread with a + nature. It takes Special hits pretty much exponentially better. For example, a Sheer Force Landorus's Earth Power can't even 2HKO. With Hippowdon, escaping 2HKOs is so valuable simply because of Slack Off. As long as you can take 2 hits, you can attack and then Slack Off and continue the cycle. Plus, its defense is already so monstrous that it isn't even 2HKO'd by a Scarf Terrakion's Close Combat. Here's what it should look like:
    Hippowdon (open)
    [​IMG] (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock

Since you have both Amoonguss and Gastrodon, I'm not sure that you really need another special wall. Chansey is a good slot for replacement. After going through every spinner, I feel like a Forretress would benefit you the most. The steel typing is so desirable for this team. But even more important is its access to Spikes and Rapid Spin. Stacking more hazards while removing them from your side is the essence of stall, so Forretress fits quite nicely. The steel typing gives extra insurance against Dragons. I feel like a mixed defensive set would work well here, specifically against Deo-Gar teams so Gengar, who comes in to spinblock, can't do too much damage to Forretress.
    Forretress (open)
    [​IMG] (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Gyro Ball
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch / Toxic Spikes
    - Spikes

The Toxic Spikes are there really just for Jellicent which gives stall trouble. Putting up 3 layers of Spikes is hard enough for Forretress, so don't expect to get up 5 layers of hazards and spin. Volt Switch is generally a better option simply because it gains momentum and helps out when predicting a spinblocker to come in.

And that's it! Here's what the new team would look like:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Good luck with your future endeavors!

Summary of Changes

• [​IMG]
      • change Choice Band to Choice Scarf
      • change Quick Attack to Earthquake
    • [​IMG]
      • EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
      • change Thunder Wave to Psyshock
      • change Rocky Helmet to Leftovers
    • [​IMG]
      • EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
      • change Impish to Careful
    • [​IMG]
      • change to [​IMG]
        • Set (open)
          Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
          EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef
          IVs: 0 Spe
          - Gyro Ball
          - Rapid Spin
          - Volt Switch / Toxic Spikes
          - Spikes
  7. VN.

VN. the birds pt. 1
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi Owen, nice team

The first thing that popped out at me is the fact that this team is both beaten by and would desperately love to use, hazards. I'm gonna advocate putting Forretress over Slowbro. I feel like this is the best way to go for the team because without Chansey then Tornadus-T can just tear up this team. Aside from that, I don't really think you'd need another Water Resist since there's Amoongus and Gastrodon, while hazards will take care of U-Turning teams. Forretress also gives you a much needed Steel resist as something like SD Outrage Chomp and hazards could be a huge problem for this team. Silverlight isn't loading but I guarentee you that SD YacheChomp would 2hko or [probably OHKO] everything with a +2 Outrage if it has spikes support. Forretress can provide Spikes to support the rest of the team also, so you can threaten strong attackers more. Aside from the much-needed switch to Forretress, I'm seeing two things as problems, one is Drought teams and the other is SD Roost Scizor. Drought Teams can possibly overwhelm Blissey with something like a trapping Heatran or even Volcarona, and Hippowdon is going to have a hard time winning the weather war if it can't take attacks from Pokemon like Heatran or Ninetales when it has to change the weather [again, wish the calc was working lol]. As for SD Scizor I feel like it could have a hard time since there are 2 Pokemon with Scald, but late-game it could be a menace if some of your Pokemon are gone. Additionally, Slowbro can OHKO but it has to take a +2 Bug Bite first, so you could be in trouble if you needed Slowbro for another Pokemon [even with Regenerator], so a cunning opponent could easily employ this strategy against you. Anyways I suggest going for a full stall spread and swapping out Terrakion for a Gliscor. Terrakion is obviously great but I feel like its setup bait for Scizor for one thing and doesn't have the support of any other sweepers to weaken its counters, so a full stall team seems superior as Uomo Solo said. Gliscor easily takes on SD Scizor with Taunt and also beats stuff like Terrakion, Dragons, etc. In addition to this, it can act as a status absorber, making Breloom immediately less of a problem. Because of this fact, I also advocate putting Wish>Aromatherapy on Chansey, so that Forretress can have a lot better staying power and not falter against teams that have Ferrothorn or something, or keep it alive against Volt Turn when it has to take their Vswitches/Uturns.

[​IMG]
    Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    -Spikes
    -Gyro Ball [0 Speed IV]
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch

[​IMG]
    Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spd
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Taunt

Change Summary:
    Hippowdon: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef, Impish -> 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef, Careful
    Chansey: Aromatherapy->Wish

I think this will be a really good team with the changes, I'd even use it myself ;)
  8. M o t h

M o t h

I suggest you this spread to get a good entry against Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Gliscor and Mamoswine.
    Scald is useful for its random burn and I suggest you Earthquake for CMrachi.
    Leftovers is the best item in a stall team because +6% every turn can be crucial.

I think this is the only good set of Slowbro.
    Leftovers, as I said before, is the best item because without it you lost 6% every turn when the sand is on the field.
    Ice Beam because Slowbro is your only dragon check.

I think that Stun Spore is better because you have a wider choice of status and HP Ice is pretty useless.
    28 SAtk to break the sub of +2 Keldeo.

I suggest you Blissey because of item.

At the last, my suggestion is to replace Terrakion with Forretress because you haven't Rapid Spinner
    and a random dragon destroys your team.
    Volt Switch is one of the few things that saves Forretress in BW.
    HP Ice for Gliscor, Dragonite and other dragons.

I hope to be helpful, sorry for my bad English.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)