dude - game over! viva las vegas!

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to dude!

In the recent past, there was quite a lot of issues regarding the 2v1 system and its flaws. This culminated in Mekkah creating a thread declaring that the 2v1 system is dead (or should be). Whilst many of us were in agreement at the time due to the clear flaws of the game, very few other formats have shown to be more balanced. Viva style became very popular, as did multi-faction, but these still had clear flaws or kinks in their system. After the relatively mundane big_bigest_mafia, dak and I decided we wanted to host a mafia, but we had no idea what we wanted to host. In the end, we decided to ask the public and there was a resounding outcry for "2v1 that works". Hopefully, that is what we will have created in dude, but either way you should definitely give the rest of the thread a thorough read - along with any rules on the anonymous forums.

The most notable change we have made in our mafia is in regards to the lynch system. Instead of your standard lynch, 5 democratically elected 'Council Members' will decide amongst themselves who will be lynched. A majority vote for one user will result in them being lynched. In the event of an initial tie, the users with the most votes will be sent to a second round of voting to decide the fate of the users in question. Ties are probably possible, but the game has hopefully been engineered so that these are a rare, if not non-existent, factor in the game. You may be thinking that this removes an aspect of the game that every gets to take part in, and in many ways you are probably right. However, everyone is eligible vote in council elections or be on the council, adding a new spice to proceedings. Just as a side note, election votes are PM'd to the anonymous user Ballot Box and will contain Smogon Names not anonymous aliases.

The elections, however, will provide the opportunity for multiple village leaders to come out and obviously for everyone to participate in the game at least a bit. Elections will be frequent and cyclical, so it is necessary that you know how the phases will work. The council is elected for a period of two lynch decision and the elections will take place in the last Night of the councillors' term of office. An exception to that is Night Zero, which will not have any elections because there will not be any organisation yet. There will be a special election phase know as Day 0 between Night Zero and Day One where this election will be taking place. To sum it up descriptively, the elections will be taking place on Day 0, Night Two, Night Four, Night Six et cetera.

Furthermore, the elections aren't quite as simple as that for example votes for the council are not completely democratic. Members of the village faction will be able to vote for 3 users - each vote counting for the same - whereas members of the mafia, or any neutrals there might be, will only have one vote for the council. Continuing the idea that multiple village leaders will be able to step-up and collaborate, one user may only be a council member for two consecutive councils and then that user will be ineligible for the following council. To spice things up a bit, there may be some roles that interact with the council or are specific to lynching methods, but I guess you may find this out soon enough!

This system also completely removes the possibility of the omnipresent stealth lynch, meaning even disorganised villages can still control the day. In essence, we have tried to add balance to 2v1 system through a complete reshuffle of the lynch mechanics. Obviously, this is basically a 'test-run' for future games as this has pretty much never been done before. UncleSam's system in Metroid Prime mafia was probably a step towards this method, but a very short one in my opinion in comparison to this complete reshuffle.

Apart from this, everything else is pretty much as you would expect it to be. So basically, just revel in this new system and enjoy it!

Bender list: [43]

Agape
Altair
Amelia
askaninjask
Bass
billymills
CaptKirby
CrabNebula
Da Letter El
Dubulous
Earthworm
evan
Exarius
Fishin
Flounder
Gmax
imperfectluck
Jackal
Jigglypuffers42
Lesm46
Lightwolf
LonelyNess
macle
MATAMATO
Mekkah
midou
Outlaw
pookar
porygon3
Raikage
RBG
reyscarface
Rodan
the_pugilist
Thorns
thunda
UncleSam
Veedrock
vonFielder
Yeti
zerowing
zorbees

Sorry to anyone that didn't get in! There was way more demand than spots, so we couldn't even let every proven, let alone many new, player in. But don't be disappointed, there may still be need for substitutes and we will be sure to contact some of you if this is the case.

Now all this monologuing aside, it is time to play dude

The game's official channel is #freemobile and this can be used to launch your political campaigns or simply just talk about the game. Feel free to contact either of the hosts at any time. You will have a PM in your inbox on the anonymous forums and the aliases/passwords are being sent out at the moment.

Have fun!

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
all PMs should be out, please notify dak or myself if you didn't get one and should've, or there is an issue with your login or something.

Bender list: [43]

Agape
Free tip to anybody playing: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT trust anything Agape says. Assume he is wolf/mafioso/anything else bad that could pop up. Even if your role PM claims you 2 to be in a team, do not trust a single word he says, and propose a lynch on him the very first opportunity. That is all.

P.S. You could step away from the Pepperoni pizza enough to post this? Damn.

Free tip to anybody playing: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT trust anything Agape says. Assume he is wolf/mafioso/anything else bad that could pop up. Even if your role PM claims you 2 to be in a team, do not trust a single word he says, and propose a lynch on him the very first opportunity. That is all.

P.S. You could step away from the Pepperoni pizza enough to post this? Damn.
Agreed.

P.S. this is my 200th post! wooo! ;)

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
grr my whole plan was to claim i am not playing jeez, and you go and post only the people in

now what xD

jks ur all dead

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys it's me, LonelyNess.

I'm Jackie Chan, your hooker, and I'm running this show.

CLAIM TO ME OR BE CAST UNDER IMMEDIATE SUSPICION.

I'll be coming for you.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, my fellow Boardwalkers.

I am going to be straight here. I have never been so disappointed with the role that I have received in the history of every big mafia game that I have ever played. While I might be sounding a bit grandiose here, it is the truth. And while this game was relatively exclusive at 43 people, I doubt I am the only one who feels this way. Even more certain, you can bet that the bigger named players do not have similar sentiments, and if anything are already planning amongst themselves on how they will manipulate the course of this game.

But why should we let that ruin our enjoyment of an otherwise ambitious game?

For all of my disappointment, I am very excited about the elections mechanic that this game has introduced to us. While the actual day of the election is ways off, I don't think it is a bad idea to at least throw my name into the ring.

But first, before I go further, I would like to get a few misconceptions out of the way. It is true that I have somewhat of a history of trolling and being only 50% serious in certain mafia games, so you might be thinking that everything in this post is just a ploy, but as I have already said, these are my real feelings about the game so far. I really want to get elected early on not just to give myself some more enjoyment out of a possibly bland experience, but rather so that I can give everyone else who is in the same boat a say in the grand scheme of things. Secondly, had I not made this somewhat long post right now, I would lose some momentum to the more well known players who I am sure are also intending on getting their voices heard. I know this from experience, especially after what happened during the previous viva style games. While this game in particular is 2v1, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful, because the election system could also allow just a few elite players to dominate this game.

But I alone am not enough, of course. The council will be 5 members strong, and so we will need at least 2 other likeminded individuals to join the cause. For now, however, I want to start getting some momentum early so that we, the lowly citizens of the Boardwalk do not lose out to the more organized mafia families. I do not expect anyone to trust me 100%, and if anything, we should all refrain from revealing too much, but at the very least, the Boardwalk needs to get organized, especially those like me who got handed crappy roles like me but want to actually contribute much more to this game.

Anyone interested in getting a campaign going, in the name of the commoners of the Boardwalk, should contact me, with all of the disclaimers implied above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)