Dugtrio (Analysis)

You may want to mention the unique niche Dugtrio has in Gravity teams. Under Gravity, flying and Levitating pokemon are no longer uneffected by Arena Trap, which makes it a very succesful revengekiller and late-game cleaner. Also, Stone Edge gets 100% accuracy under Gravity, which elevates the 'need' for Claw Sharpen.

I believe return might be a decent asset, as it has great coverage all around, yes dugtrio usually needs a super effetctive hit, but honestly it can't always get one. I would atleast mention it in OO.

This is ready for GP checks. I'll post so in the GP queue as well.

I'm just going to add a couple more damage calculations. I still need a suggestion as to where to put it in the analysis.

-Zane

Edit: I just saw the previous posts...

I'll mention Gravity support. However, it's a waste of turns, in my opinion, to use Dugtrio, when you can just rape everything with Landorus or Excadrill.

Return shouldn't really be an option. Dugtrio pretty much relies on super effective hits to do anything. It doesn't have the power to do anything significant with Return (or a non-STAB, neutral hit, really), and Dugtrio becomes walled by Ghost-types with Substitute. Even though Shadow Claw's use is so specific and unlikely, it's still WAY more useful than Return, honestly. Stone Edge and Earthquake are good enough to do neutral damage to most things. It's just really not worth a slot in my opinion.

Your EVs don't hit the correct speed teir. 216 EVs outpaces +Natured Base 115's, not 212. As of right now, you tie with any +Natured Base 115 that doesn't carry a 30 Speed IV Hidden Power.

...how did nobody seriously notice that?

Your EVs don't hit the correct speed teir. 216 EVs outpaces +Natured Base 115's, not 212. As of right now, you tie with any +Natured Base 115 that doesn't carry a 30 Speed IV Hidden Power.

...how did nobody seriously notice that?
Fixed.

I copy and pasted from my word document. I guess I forgot to fix that awhile back. It was correct when I was in QC, but I forgot that it was still screwed up in my document.

-Zane

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AGH I lost my first check

stupid expiring tokens

whatever I did it again

GP Check [1/2]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Dugtrio has always been an unorthodox choice for an OU team. As the best abuser only fully-evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio is a fantastic revenge killer. Dugtrio also has blazing speed Speed and a passable offensive movepool. However, while its lackluster base attack Attack can be assisted improved by Choice Band and Life Orb, it still lacks enough muscle to push through most healthy enemies. Furthermore, its defenses are certainly not capable of handling much more than a weak priority attack, and its high-speedhigh Speed can be overcome by opposing Choice Scarfers Scarf users. In addition, Dugtrio is almost begging to be trapped by Pursuit. In this generation, Dugtrio welcomes the coming of many grounded competitive threats. Unfortunately, it quickly realizes that their defenses are higher, as well. It also finds that a Ground-type STAB is less reliable than ever due to the introduction of Air Balloon. Luckily, with the introduction of valuable sandstorm sweepers, the ubiquitous Tyranitar becomes more and more important to remove – a task which Dugtrio is eager to fulfill.</p>

[SET]
name: Revenge Killer
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Shadow Claw / Substitute
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the notorious "EdgeQuake" combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many may be able to switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent strike weapon against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types like Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias if they decide to stay in the fray. It is also a utility Its priority also comes in useful in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, used in order to successfully attack which will cause damage even if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, and so on. And while Dugtrio is extremely speedy, the priority is valuable for its ability to strike the Choice Scarf Gengar and Latios first.</p>

<p>Choice Band is a great idea on Dugtrio, as it helps it become as threatening as possible, right off the bat. Arena Trap also significantly reduces the need for prediction on grounded enemies, which makes Choice Band the preferred item. However, choosing a Life Orb can expand Dugtrio's [remember, don't use curly apostrophes] capabilities,(comma) and also makes Dugtrio less easy to set up on once it has performed a revenge killing. It also allows Dugtrio to revenge kill foes with Air Balloon, as it can pop the item with Shadow Claw and then switch to Earthquake to finish the opponent off.</p>

<p>If holding Life Orb rather than Choice Band, Substitute becomes an additional option. Substitute allows Dugtrio to ease prediction when attempting to revenge kill a Levitating or Flying-type foe who is likely to switch. But, most importantly, it also defends Dugtrio from Pursuit and Sucker Punch. While the only common choice Choice-locked Electric-type attacks come from the levitating Rotom-A, Substitute can help by scouting the switch-in, possibly creating an opportunity for a 2HKO.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Thanks to the new found flexibility, Life Orb also allows Dugtrio to pop switch-ins’ (such as Heatran or Cobalion's) Air Balloons with Shadow Claw, and swiftly KO with a super-effective Earthquake. As a reminder, Shadow Claw is usually preferred to burst Air Balloons, as it has reliable accuracy, whereas the stronger Stone Edge has suspicious reliability. However, successfully popping Air Balloons takes a great sense of prediction, and false intuition may easily lead to the departure of dear Dugtrio.</p>

[Dedicating a whole paragraph to this is not really necessary imo]

<p>While Dugtrio is begging for all the power it can get, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed threats as fast as such as Timid Starmie, Raikou, and Azelf, along with other threats such as +1 Speed Jolly Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Lapras [Lapras is hardly common, I don't really think it's worth mentioning...]. As such, a A Jolly nature, as opposed to an Adamant nature, also allows Dugtrio to outspeed common and threatening 108 base Speed threats, including Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape.</p>

[If you're going to mention all of these, you might as well mention Gengar, Latios, and the like as well]

<p>The EVs maximize Dugtrio's damage output, while allowing it to outpace opponents with up to 115 base Speed. The rest are invested into defense Defense, in order to hopefully survive weak priority attacks, or a Pursuit Dugtrio decides not to flee from.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While a completely healthy Dugtrio can survive a Pursuit from an enemy like Scizor or Spiritomb and squeeze in one or two last attacks, Pursuit spells an end for the triple mole. That is unless of course the opponent is weakened enough to be taken out before Dugtrio faints. In fact, Dugtrio is almost always better off staying in battle when confronting a Pursuit user. It cannot survive a Pursuit if switching, but may be able to survive long enough to defeat the opponent first. However, Dugtrio may want to switch if it is liable to be set up on. Unfortunately, the lack of Life Orb damage tells the opponent whether or not Dugtrio is choice locked. The opponent with Pursuit may also be resistant or immune to Dugtrio's chosen move.</p>

[I don't like removing information from analyses, it's true, but I don't think you really need to say all this about Dugtrio as it's made more or less apparent by "Dugtrio has trouble with Pursuit"]

<p>As for team mates, ask not what you can do for Dugtrio, but what Dugtrio can do for you! One of the most indispensible talents that Dugtrio offers is its ability to reliably eliminate Tyranitar [only Adamant CB Duggy can OHKO 252 HP Ttar 100% of the time with SR. Perhaps mention that?]. As such, teammates with a fear of the rock dinosaur, such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar, greatly benefit from Dugtrio's presence, such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar. Teammates with significant weaknesses to Electric- or Rock-type Pokémon Pokemon or attacks are also likely to benefit from Dugtrio. Some examples include Gyarados, Volcarona, Tornadus, and Thundurus. As such, Dugtrio can also work well on Drought and Drizzle teams as a reliable way to remove the most common Sandstream Sand Stream user from the match. As a bonus, Drought teams also rid Dugtrio of its Water-type weakness.</p>

<p>If there's one thing the team can do for Dugtrio, it's providing Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock support is especially important to Dugtrio, as it helps deter Flying-types from switching onto the field during the match. Oppositely On the other hand, Spikes support brings many grounded enemies into KO range. As such, Deoxys-S is a great teammate, as it can effectively provide both [Maybe mention Forretress and Ferrothorn here as well?]. In return, Dugtrio can destroy Tyranitar, who loves to switch in on supportive Deoxys-S variants. While not critically detrimental to its duties, Dugtrio also hates Spikes on its side of the battlefield, as it keeps prevents it from surviving weak priority attacks and Pursuit. As such, a Magic Mirror Bounce Xatu is a great idea for a partner, and it additionally draws in Electric- and Rock-type attacks while keeping entry hazards off of the field. Magic Mirror Bounce Espeon may be used instead if it meshes better with the remainder of the team. Both Xatu and Espeon greatly appreciate the removal of Tyranitar, as well, which can allow them to run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Fighting. Both Magic Mirror Bounce Xatu and Espeon are also conveniently capable of reliably setting up dual screens, which can allow Dugtrio to handle a hit and successfully carry out 2HKOs. Rapid Spin support may be used instead, and Starmie, who can attract Electric-type attacks and handle many Levitating and Flying-type Pokémon Pokemon, fits the role very well.</p>

<p>Dugtrio also has a unique niche on a Gravity team, as Flying-types and Levitating Pokémon can now become trapped and hit with a 100% accurate Stone Edge. Gravity will also nullify the effects of opposing Air Balloons, allowing Earthquake to be a reliable, strong STAB attack. Still, the duration of Gravity is usually better spent sweeping with Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

[Gravity is hardly common and not really worth devoting an entire paragraph to, especially when, as you say, there are better options available]

[Other Options]

<p>Memento is an interesting and rather exclusive option, if using a Life Orb. Thanks to team preview, Dugtrio often realizes when it has successfully done its job for the team. Afterwards, Dugtrio can often become dead weight compared to set-up sweepers. Conveniently, Memento allows a teammate to set up and sweep, once Dugtrio has assassinated a certain threat. If using Memento, teammates such as Shell Smash Cloyster, Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Swords Dance Terrakion are grateful of for the safe opportunity to set up.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace is also useful as the last move. It can remove a team's weakness to Heracross, Breloom, or Virizion. Unfortunately, it has little utility outside of these threats. Rock Slide is an option over Stone Edge for higher accuracy and a useful flinch chance, but is strongly discouraged due to its weak base power Base Power, especially when placed alongside uncomplimentary to Dugtrio's modest Attack stat. As an illustration of its lesser base power Base Power, Rock Slide has the same base power Base Power as a resisted STAB Earthquake on Grass-type foes. Night Slash can easily replace Shadow Claw, as they have almost identical type coverage. However, while no Pokémon Pokemon is immune to Night Slash, it is weak against the Fighting-types that plague the metagame. Chansey and Blissey are the only common Normal-types in the metagame, and a Choice Band Night Slash does not have the power to handle them, anyways. Night Slash also triggers the ability Justified, while Shadow Claw does not, and simultaneously supplies neutral damage to most users.</p>

<p>Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack boosting move, and a set consisting of Hone Claws, Substitute, Earthquake, and Stone Edge can be used. Still, team preview will remind the opponent to remove Dugtrio before using a choice Choice-locked Electric-type attack. Encore support from a teammate such as Whimsicott can open opportunities to boost up, but lasts too few turns for Dugtrio to gain enough boosts to efficiently sweep. Air Balloon is also a surprising option as an item on a Hone Claws set, in order to unexpectedly sneak into the fray on choice Choice-locked Ground-type attacks and easily boost to +6. Unfortunately, there are stronger, more reliable Ground-type sweepers, such as Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

<p>As previously described, an Adamant nature is tempting for Dugtrio, who is itching for any additional strength, but will unfortunately bring Dugtrio's maximum possible Speed down to that of a 105 base Speed Pokémon Pokemon. This implies means that Dugtrio will now be outsped by any faster opponent (most notably Terrakion, Virizion, Starmie, Gengar, Raikou, +1 Speed Jolly Tyranitar, and so on), along with being forced to a speed Speed tie with Mienshao and Zoroark. If one opts to use an Adamant nature Dugtrio, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe is best. However, it is greatly encouraged to select a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Dugtrio can overcome enemy Choice Scarf users and other +1 Speed enemies, such as Choice Scarf Terrakion or Choice Scarf Heatran. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO nearly as many enemies beforenearly anything you'd want it to; in fact, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is unlikely to OHKO any opponent who does not receive super effective damage from Earthquake or Stone Edge. Additionally, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is also no longer able still unable to use an Adamant nature, as threats such as Terrakion and Mienshao will still give it speed Speed troubles. For most teams, Wobbuffet is usually a better choice to reliably eliminate Choice Scarfed Scarf threats.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>While Dugtrio does not essentially have any "counters" if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, it does have many opponents and obstacles to be wary of. As such, it is discouraged to employ Dugtrio as a revenge killer against Flying-type or Levitating Pokémon Pokemon, who may freely switch out. Beware of the following confrontations…</p>

<p>Azumarill can effortlessly destroy Dugtrio with Aqua Jet. Skarmory can come in with its impenetrable Defense and throw down Spikes as Dugtrio flees. An Ice Shard from Mamoswine and Weavile can slaughter Dugtrio, while the latter often wields a powerful Pursuit as well. Dragonite's Life Orb ExtremeSpeed has an 87.17% chance to KO a full-health Dugtrio, and is also immune to Ground-type attacks and Arena Trap. Bronzong is immune to Earthquake and Arena Trap, resistant to Stone Edge, and its high Defense stat lets it handle Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Claw as it flattens Dugtrio with Gyro Ball. Dugtrio is not going to defeat Hippowdon or Gliscor anytime soon, due to their reliable recovery and high defense Defense. Porygon2 can use Trace to copy Arena Trap, and utilize its great bulk and reliable recovery to fire an Ice Beam and take Dugtrio down. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion are resistant to most of its moveset.</p>

<p>Anything faster than Dugtrio can generally kill it with a neutral STAB attack. A common mistake that can spell death for Dugtrio is switching into an opponent which is unexpectedly Scarfed. It is vital to watch for the presence of Life Orb damage or Leftovers recovery when using Dugtrio. As such, sandstorm support from Tyranitar can also cause Leftovers to reveal itself, in case Stealth Rock is not on the field.</p>

<p>More so for Choice Band Dugtrio rather than Life Orb Dugtrio, Balloon dramatically hinders Dugtrio's presence, as the common Balloon users (such as Excadrill, Heatran, and other Steel-type Pokémon Pokemon) may easily endure any of Dugtrio's other moves, and faint KO Dugtrio with a STAB attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio gains Sand Force as its ability through the Dream World. While this is a fantastic ability for a Ground-type Pokémon Pokemon, Dugtrio loses its niche as an amazing abuser of Arena Trap. Switching to Sand Force would also cause Excadrill and Landorus to utterly outclass Dugtrio as a sandstorm sweeper.</p>

Cool beans.

Note that I took out some stuff that didn't seem all that relevant (all that going on about Pursuit, etc). Also, all discussion of items/EVs/nature/the like should go in AC, not set comments.

Mostly looks pretty good.

AGH I lost my first check

stupid expiring tokens

whatever I did it again

GP Check [1/2]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Dugtrio has always been an unorthodox choice for an OU team. As the best abuser only fully-evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio is a fantastic revenge killer. Dugtrio also has blazing speed Speed and a passable offensive movepool. However, while its lackluster base attack Attack can be assisted improved by Choice Band and Life Orb, it still lacks enough muscle to push through most healthy enemies. Furthermore, its defenses are certainly not capable of handling much more than a weak priority attack, and its high-speedhigh Speed can be overcome by opposing Choice Scarfers Scarf users. In addition, Dugtrio is almost begging to be trapped by Pursuit. In this generation, Dugtrio welcomes the coming of many grounded competitive threats. Unfortunately, it quickly realizes that their defenses are higher, as well. It also finds that a Ground-type STAB is less reliable than ever due to the introduction of Air Balloon. Luckily, with the introduction of valuable sandstorm sweepers, the ubiquitous Tyranitar becomes more and more important to remove – a task which Dugtrio is eager to fulfill.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the notorious "EdgeQuake" combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many may be able to switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent strike weapon against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types like Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias if they decide to stay in the fray. It is also a utility Its priority also comes in useful in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, used in order to successfully attack which will cause damage even if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, and so on. And while Dugtrio is extremely speedy, the priority is valuable for its ability to strike the Choice Scarf Gengar and Latios first.</p>

<p>Choice Band is a great idea on Dugtrio, as it helps it become as threatening as possible, right off the bat. Arena Trap also significantly reduces the need for prediction on grounded enemies, which makes Choice Band the preferred item. However, choosing a Life Orb can expand Dugtrio's [remember, don't use curly apostrophes] capabilities,(comma) and also makes Dugtrio less easy to set up on once it has performed a revenge killing. It also allows Dugtrio to revenge kill foes with Air Balloon, as it can pop the item with Shadow Claw and then switch to Earthquake to finish the opponent off.</p>

<p>If holding Life Orb rather than Choice Band, Substitute becomes an additional option. Substitute allows Dugtrio to ease prediction when attempting to revenge kill a Levitating or Flying-type foe who is likely to switch. But, most importantly, it also defends Dugtrio from Pursuit and Sucker Punch. While the only common choice Choice-locked Electric-type attacks come from the levitating Rotom-A, Substitute can help by scouting the switch-in, possibly creating an opportunity for a 2HKO.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Thanks to the new found flexibility, Life Orb also allows Dugtrio to pop switch-ins’ (such as Heatran or Cobalion's) Air Balloons with Shadow Claw, and swiftly KO with a super-effective Earthquake. As a reminder, Shadow Claw is usually preferred to burst Air Balloons, as it has reliable accuracy, whereas the stronger Stone Edge has suspicious reliability. However, successfully popping Air Balloons takes a great sense of prediction, and false intuition may easily lead to the departure of dear Dugtrio.</p>

[Dedicating a whole paragraph to this is not really necessary imo]

<p>While Dugtrio is begging for all the power it can get, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed threats as fast as such as Timid Starmie, Raikou, and Azelf, along with other threats such as +1 Speed Jolly Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Lapras [Lapras is hardly common, I don't really think it's worth mentioning...]. As such, a A Jolly nature, as opposed to an Adamant nature, also allows Dugtrio to outspeed common and threatening 108 base Speed threats, including Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape.</p>

[If you're going to mention all of these, you might as well mention Gengar, Latios, and the like as well]

<p>The EVs maximize Dugtrio's damage output, while allowing it to outpace opponents with up to 115 base Speed. The rest are invested into defense Defense, in order to hopefully survive weak priority attacks, or a Pursuit Dugtrio decides not to flee from.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While a completely healthy Dugtrio can survive a Pursuit from an enemy like Scizor or Spiritomb and squeeze in one or two last attacks, Pursuit spells an end for the triple mole. That is unless of course the opponent is weakened enough to be taken out before Dugtrio faints. In fact, Dugtrio is almost always better off staying in battle when confronting a Pursuit user. It cannot survive a Pursuit if switching, but may be able to survive long enough to defeat the opponent first. However, Dugtrio may want to switch if it is liable to be set up on. Unfortunately, the lack of Life Orb damage tells the opponent whether or not Dugtrio is choice locked. The opponent with Pursuit may also be resistant or immune to Dugtrio's chosen move.</p>

[I don't like removing information from analyses, it's true, but I don't think you really need to say all this about Dugtrio as it's made more or less apparent by "Dugtrio has trouble with Pursuit"]

<p>As for team mates, ask not what you can do for Dugtrio, but what Dugtrio can do for you! One of the most indispensible talents that Dugtrio offers is its ability to reliably eliminate Tyranitar [only Adamant CB Duggy can OHKO 252 HP Ttar 100% of the time with SR. Perhaps mention that?]. As such, teammates with a fear of the rock dinosaur, such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar, greatly benefit from Dugtrio's presence, such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar. Teammates with significant weaknesses to Electric- or Rock-type Pokémon Pokemon or attacks are also likely to benefit from Dugtrio. Some examples include Gyarados, Volcarona, Tornadus, and Thundurus. As such, Dugtrio can also work well on Drought and Drizzle teams as a reliable way to remove the most common Sandstream Sand Stream user from the match. As a bonus, Drought teams also rid Dugtrio of its Water-type weakness.</p>

<p>If there's one thing the team can do for Dugtrio, it's providing Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock support is especially important to Dugtrio, as it helps deter Flying-types from switching onto the field during the match. Oppositely On the other hand, Spikes support brings many grounded enemies into KO range. As such, Deoxys-S is a great teammate, as it can effectively provide both [Maybe mention Forretress and Ferrothorn here as well?]. In return, Dugtrio can destroy Tyranitar, who loves to switch in on supportive Deoxys-S variants. While not critically detrimental to its duties, Dugtrio also hates Spikes on its side of the battlefield, as it keeps prevents it from surviving weak priority attacks and Pursuit. As such, a Magic Mirror Bounce Xatu is a great idea for a partner, and it additionally draws in Electric- and Rock-type attacks while keeping entry hazards off of the field. Magic Mirror Bounce Espeon may be used instead if it meshes better with the remainder of the team. Both Xatu and Espeon greatly appreciate the removal of Tyranitar, as well, which can allow them to run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Fighting. Both Magic Mirror Bounce Xatu and Espeon are also conveniently capable of reliably setting up dual screens, which can allow Dugtrio to handle a hit and successfully carry out 2HKOs. Rapid Spin support may be used instead, and Starmie, who can attract Electric-type attacks and handle many Levitating and Flying-type Pokémon Pokemon, fits the role very well.</p>

<p>Dugtrio also has a unique niche on a Gravity team, as Flying-types and Levitating Pokémon can now become trapped and hit with a 100% accurate Stone Edge. Gravity will also nullify the effects of opposing Air Balloons, allowing Earthquake to be a reliable, strong STAB attack. Still, the duration of Gravity is usually better spent sweeping with Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

[Gravity is hardly common and not really worth devoting an entire paragraph to, especially when, as you say, there are better options available]

[Other Options]

<p>Memento is an interesting and rather exclusive option, if using a Life Orb. Thanks to team preview, Dugtrio often realizes when it has successfully done its job for the team. Afterwards, Dugtrio can often become dead weight compared to set-up sweepers. Conveniently, Memento allows a teammate to set up and sweep, once Dugtrio has assassinated a certain threat. If using Memento, teammates such as Shell Smash Cloyster, Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Swords Dance Terrakion are grateful of for the safe opportunity to set up.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace is also useful as the last move. It can remove a team's weakness to Heracross, Breloom, or Virizion. Unfortunately, it has little utility outside of these threats. Rock Slide is an option over Stone Edge for higher accuracy and a useful flinch chance, but is strongly discouraged due to its weak base power Base Power, especially when placed alongside uncomplimentary to Dugtrio's modest Attack stat. As an illustration of its lesser base power Base Power, Rock Slide has the same base power Base Power as a resisted STAB Earthquake on Grass-type foes. Night Slash can easily replace Shadow Claw, as they have almost identical type coverage. However, while no Pokémon Pokemon is immune to Night Slash, it is weak against the Fighting-types that plague the metagame. Chansey and Blissey are the only common Normal-types in the metagame, and a Choice Band Night Slash does not have the power to handle them, anyways. Night Slash also triggers the ability Justified, while Shadow Claw does not, and simultaneously supplies neutral damage to most users.</p>

<p>Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack boosting move, and a set consisting of Hone Claws, Substitute, Earthquake, and Stone Edge can be used. Still, team preview will remind the opponent to remove Dugtrio before using a choice Choice-locked Electric-type attack. Encore support from a teammate such as Whimsicott can open opportunities to boost up, but lasts too few turns for Dugtrio to gain enough boosts to efficiently sweep. Air Balloon is also a surprising option as an item on a Hone Claws set, in order to unexpectedly sneak into the fray on choice Choice-locked Ground-type attacks and easily boost to +6. Unfortunately, there are stronger, more reliable Ground-type sweepers, such as Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

<p>As previously described, an Adamant nature is tempting for Dugtrio, who is itching for any additional strength, but will unfortunately bring Dugtrio's maximum possible Speed down to that of a 105 base Speed Pokémon Pokemon. This implies means that Dugtrio will now be outsped by any faster opponent (most notably Terrakion, Virizion, Starmie, Gengar, Raikou, +1 Speed Jolly Tyranitar, and so on), along with being forced to a speed Speed tie with Mienshao and Zoroark. If one opts to use an Adamant nature Dugtrio, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe is best. However, it is greatly encouraged to select a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Dugtrio can overcome enemy Choice Scarf users and other +1 Speed enemies, such as Choice Scarf Terrakion or Choice Scarf Heatran. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO nearly as many enemies beforenearly anything you'd want it to; in fact, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is unlikely to OHKO any opponent who does not receive super effective damage from Earthquake or Stone Edge. Additionally, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is also no longer able still unable to use an Adamant nature, as threats such as Terrakion and Mienshao will still give it speed Speed troubles. For most teams, Wobbuffet is usually a better choice to reliably eliminate Choice Scarfed Scarf threats.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>While Dugtrio does not essentially have any "counters" if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, it does have many opponents and obstacles to be wary of. As such, it is discouraged to employ Dugtrio as a revenge killer against Flying-type or Levitating Pokémon Pokemon, who may freely switch out. Beware of the following confrontations…</p>

<p>Azumarill can effortlessly destroy Dugtrio with Aqua Jet. Skarmory can come in with its impenetrable Defense and throw down Spikes as Dugtrio flees. An Ice Shard from Mamoswine and Weavile can slaughter Dugtrio, while the latter often wields a powerful Pursuit as well. Dragonite's Life Orb ExtremeSpeed has an 87.17% chance to KO a full-health Dugtrio, and is also immune to Ground-type attacks and Arena Trap. Bronzong is immune to Earthquake and Arena Trap, resistant to Stone Edge, and its high Defense stat lets it handle Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Claw as it flattens Dugtrio with Gyro Ball. Dugtrio is not going to defeat Hippowdon or Gliscor anytime soon, due to their reliable recovery and high defense Defense. Porygon2 can use Trace to copy Arena Trap, and utilize its great bulk and reliable recovery to fire an Ice Beam and take Dugtrio down. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion are resistant to most of its moveset.</p>

<p>Anything faster than Dugtrio can generally kill it with a neutral STAB attack. A common mistake that can spell death for Dugtrio is switching into an opponent which is unexpectedly Scarfed. It is vital to watch for the presence of Life Orb damage or Leftovers recovery when using Dugtrio. As such, sandstorm support from Tyranitar can also cause Leftovers to reveal itself, in case Stealth Rock is not on the field.</p>

<p>More so for Choice Band Dugtrio rather than Life Orb Dugtrio, Balloon dramatically hinders Dugtrio's presence, as the common Balloon users (such as Excadrill, Heatran, and other Steel-type Pokémon Pokemon) may easily endure any of Dugtrio's other moves, and faint KO Dugtrio with a STAB attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio gains Sand Force as its ability through the Dream World. While this is a fantastic ability for a Ground-type Pokémon Pokemon, Dugtrio loses its niche as an amazing abuser of Arena Trap. Switching to Sand Force would also cause Excadrill and Landorus to utterly outclass Dugtrio as a sandstorm sweeper.</p>

Cool beans.

Note that I took out some stuff that didn't seem all that relevant (all that going on about Pursuit, etc). Also, all discussion of items/EVs/nature/the like should go in AC, not set comments.

Mostly looks pretty good.

Awesome. I had no idea how to correctly use "Choice-locked" and other fan-made terms. Nor did I know I've gotta follow "Adamant" with "nature" even if I'm using "Adamant" to describe Dugtrio... found that a little weird. But okay. All changes will be made once I can get to a computer again. And I have no idea how to even type a curly apostrophe... Wonder how that happened, lol.

If someone else wants to GP check it, just use bob's revision.

-Zane

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Edit: didn't see your notice about using BMB's edit, sorry!

Unofficial GeePee, don't mind me!
Omit
Add
Comments

[Overview]
<p>Dugtrio has always been an unorthodox choice for an OU team. As the best abuser of Arena Trap, Dugtrio is a fantastic revenge killer. Dugtrio has blazing speed and a passable offensive movepool. However, while its lackluster base attack can be assisted by Choice Band and Life Orb, it still lacks enough muscle to push through most healthy enemies. Furthermore, its defenses are certainly not capable of handling much more than a weak priority attack, and its high-s (no hyphen) Speed stat can be overcome by opposing Choice Scarfers users. In addition, Dugtrio is almost begging to be trapped by Pursuit. In this generation, Dugtrio welcomes the coming of many grounded competitive threats. Unfortunately, it quickly realizes that their defenses are higher, as well. It also finds that a Ground-type STAB is less reliable than ever due to the introduction of Air Balloon. Luckily, with the introduction of valuable sandstorm sweepers, the ubiquitous Tyranitar becomes more and more important to remove – a task which Dugtrio is eager to fulfill.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the notorious "EdgeQuake" (not quite sure if you actually need the quotes here, to be honest) combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many may be able to switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent strike against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types like Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias if they decide to stay in the fray. It is also a utility in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, used in order to successfully attack if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-o-Wisp, and so on. And wWhile Dugtrio is extremely speedy, the priority is valuable for its ability to strike the Choice Scarf Gengar and Latios first. </p>

<p>Choice Band is a great idea on Dugtrio, as it helps it become as threatening as possible, (no comma) right off the bat. Arena Trap also significantly reduces the need for prediction on grounded enemies, which makes Choice Band the preferred item. However, choosing a Life Orb can expand Dugtrio's (no curly apostrophes) capabilities.</p>

<p>If holding Life Orb rather than Choice Band, Substitute becomes an additional option. Substitute allows Dugtrio to ease prediction when attempting to revenge kill a Llevitating or Flying-type foe who is likely to switch out. But, mMost importantly, it also defends Dugtrio from Pursuit and Sucker Punch. While the only common cChoice-locked (this is questionable, don't see anything about this in Spelling and Grammar Standards) Electric-type attacks come from the levitating Rotom-A, Substitute can help by scouting the switch-in, possibly creating an opportunity for a 2HKO.</p>

<p>Thanks to the new found flexibility, Life Orb also allows Dugtrio to pop switch-ins’ (such as Heatran or Cobalion's) Air Balloons carried by common switch-ins such as Heatran or Cobalion with Shadow Claw, and swiftly KO with a super-effective (no hyphen on super effective) Earthquake. As a reminder, Shadow Claw is usually preferred to burst Air Balloons, as it has reliable accuracy, whereas the stronger Stone Edge has suspicious reliability. However, successfully popping Air Balloons takes a great sense of prediction, and false intuition may easily lead to the departure of dear Dugtrio.</p>

<p>While Dugtrio is begging for all the power it can get, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed threats as fast as Timid Starmie, Raikou, and Azelf, along with other threats such as +1 Speed Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Lapras. As such, a Jolly nature, as opposed to an Adamant nature, also allows Dugtrio to outspeed common and threatening 108 base Speed threats, including Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape.</p>

<p>The EVs maximize Dugtrio’s damage output, while allowing it to outpace opponents with up to 115 base Speed. The rest are invested into dDefense, in order to hopefully survive weak priority attacks, or a predicted Pursuit that Dugtrio decides not to flee from.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While a completely healthy Dugtrio can survive a Pursuit from an enemy like Scizor or Spiritomb and squeeze in one or two last final attacks, Pursuit spells an end for the triple mole., (comma) Thatis unless of course the opponent is weakened enough to be taken out before Dugtrio faints. In fact, Dugtrio is almost always better off staying in battle when confronting a Pursuit user. It cannot survive a Pursuit if switching, but may be able to survive long enough to defeat the opponent first. However, Dugtrio may want to switch if it is liable to be set up on. Unfortunately, the lack of Life Orb damage tells the opponent whether or not Dugtrio is choice locked. The opponent with Pursuit may also be resistant or immune to Dugtrio's (standard apostrophe) chosen move.</p>

<p>As for team(no space)mates, ask not what you can do for Dugtrio, but what Dugtrio can do for you! One of the most indispensible indispensable talents that Dugtrio offers is its ability to reliably eliminate Tyranitar. As such, teammates with a fear of the rock dinosaur greatly benefit greatly from Dugtrio, such as Latios, Deoxys-S, Espeon, or Gengar. Teammates with significant weaknesses to Electric- or Rock-type Pokémon or attacks are also likely to benefit from Dugtrio. Some examples include Gyarados, Volcarona, Tornadus, and Thundurus. As such, Dugtrio can also work well on Drought and Drizzle teams as a reliable way to remove the most common Sandstream user from the match. As a bonus, Drought teams also rids Dugtrio of its Water-type weakness.</p>

<p>If there’s one thing the team can do for Dugtrio, it’s providing Stealth Rock. (sort of made redundant by the next sentence) Stealth Rock support is especially important to Dugtrio, as it helps deter Flying-types from switching onto the field switching in during the match., Oppositely, while Spikes support brings many grounded enemies into KO range. As such, Deoxys-S is a great team(no space, one word)mate, as it can effectively provide both. In return, Dugtrio can destroy Tyranitar, who loves to switch in on supportive Deoxys-S variants. While not critically detrimental to its duties, Dugtrio also hates Spikes on its side of the battlefield, as it keeps it from surviving weak priority attacks and Pursuit. As such, a Magic Mirror Bounce Xatu is a great idea for a partner, and it additionally draws in Electric- and Rock-type attacks while keeping entry hazards off of the field. Magic Mirror Bounce Espeon may be used instead if it meshes better with the remainder of the team. Both Xatu and Espeon greatly appreciate the removal of Tyranitar, as well, which can allow them to run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Fighting. Both Magic Mirror Xatu and Espeon are also conveniently capable of reliably setting up dual screens, which can allow Dugtrio to handle a hit and successfully carry out 2HKOs. Rapid Spin support may be used You may opt to use Rapid Spin support instead,; (semicolon) and Starmie, who can attract Electric-type attacks and handle many Levitating and Flying-type Pokémon, fits the role very well.</p>

<p>Dugtrio also has a unique niche on a Gravity team, as Flying-types and Llevitating Pokémon can now become trapped and hit with a 100% accurate Stone Edge. Gravity will also nullify the effects of opposing Air Balloons, allowing Earthquake to be a reliable, strong STAB attack. Still, the duration of Gravity is usually better spent sweeping with Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Memento is an interesting and rather exclusive option, if using a Life Orb. Thanks to team preview, Dugtrio often realizes when it has successfully done its job for the team. Afterwards, Dugtrio can often become dead weight compared to set up sweepers. Conveniently, Memento allows a team mate to set up and sweep, (no comma) once Dugtrio has assassinated a certain threat. If using Memento, team(no space)mates such as Shell Smash Cloyster, Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Swords Dance Terrakion are grateful of for the safe opportunity to set up.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace is also useful as the last move., as Iit can remove a team's (apostrophe) weakness to Heracross, Breloom, or Virizion. Unfortunately, it has little utility outside of these threats. Rock Slide is an option over Stone Edge for higher accuracy and a useful flinch chance, but is strongly discouraged due to its weak base power uncomplimentary to Dugtrio’s modest Attack stat. As an illustration of its lesser base power, Rock Slide has the same base power as a resisted STAB Earthquake on Grass-type foes. Night Slash can easily replace Shadow Claw, as they have almost identical type coverage. However, while no Pokémon is immune to Night Slash, it is weak against the Fighting-types that plague the metagame. Chansey and Blissey are the only common Normal-types in the metagame, and a Choice Band Night Slash does not have the power to handle them, anyways. Night Slash also triggers the ability Justified, while Shadow Claw does not, and simultaneously supplies neutral damage to most users foes.</p>

<p>Hone Claws is Dugtrio’s only Attack boosting move, and a set consisting of Hone Claws, Substitute, Earthquake, and Stone Edge can be used. Still, team preview will remind the opponent to remove Dugtrio before using a choice locked Electric-type attack. Encore support from a team(no space)mate such as Whimsicott can open opportunities to boost up, but lasts too few turns for Dugtrio to gain enough boosts to efficiently sweep. Air Balloon is also a surprising option as an item on a Hone Claws set, in order to unexpectedly sneak into the fray on choice-locked Ground-type attacks and easily boost to +6. Unfortunately, there are stronger, more reliable Ground-type sweepers, such as Excadrill and Landorus.</p>

<p>As previously described, an Adamant nature is tempting for Dugtrio, who is itching for any additional strength, but will unfortunately, it brings Dugtrio's maximum possible Speed down to that of a 105 base Speed Pokémon. This implies that Dugtrio will now be outsped by any faster opponent (most notably Terrakion, Virizion, Starmie, Gengar, Raikou, +1 Speed (the context implies Speed) Jolly Tyranitar, and so on), along with being forced to a speed tie with Mienshao and Zoroark. If one opts to use an Adamant nature Dugtrio, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe is best. However, it is greatly encouraged to select a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Dugtrio can overcome enemy Choice Scarf users and other +1 Speed enemies, such as Choice Scarf Terrakion or Choice Scarf Heatran. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO nearly as many enemies before; in fact, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is unlikely to OHKO any opponent who does not receive super effective damage from Earthquake or Stone Edge. Additionally, Choice Scarf Dugtrio is also no longer able to use an Adamant nature, as threats such as Terrakion and Mienshao will still give it speed troubles outspeed Dugtrio (do you mean at +2 and +1, respectively?). For most teams, Wobbuffet is usually a better choice to reliably eliminate Choice Scarfed threats.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>While Dugtrio does not essentially have any counters per se, if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, it does have many opponents and obstacles to be wary of. As such, it is discouraged to employ Dugtrio as a revenge-killer against Flying-type or Llevitating Pokémon, who may freely switch out. Beware of the following confrontations... (no ellipsis)</p>

<p>Azumarill can effortlessly destroy Dugtrio with Aqua Jet. Skarmory can come in with its near impenetrable Defense and throw down Spikes as Dugtrio flees. An Ice Shard from Mamoswine and Weavile can slaughter Dugtrio, while the latter often wields a powerful Pursuit as well. Dragonite’s Life Orb ExtremeSpeed has an 87.17% chance to KO a full-health Dugtrio, and is also immune to Ground-type attacks and Arena Trap. Bronzong is immune to Earthquake and Arena Trap, resistant to Stone Edge, and its high Defense stat lets it handle Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Claw as while it flattens Dugtrio with Gyro Ball. Dugtrio is not going to defeat Hippowdon or Gliscor anytime soon, due to their reliable recovery and high defense. Porygon2 can use Trace to copy Arena Trap, and utilize its great bulk and reliable recovery to fire an Ice Beam and take Dugtrio down. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion are resistant to most of its moveset movepool.</p>

<p>More so for Choice Band Dugtrio rather than for Life Orb Dugtrio, Air Balloon dramatically hinders Dugtrio's presence, as the common Air Balloon users (such as Excadrill, Heatran, and other Steel-type Pokémon) may easily endure any of Dugtrio's other moves, and faint Dugtrio with a STAB attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio gains Sand Force as its ability through the Dream World ability. While this is a fantastic ability for a Ground-type Pokémon, Dugtrio loses its niche as an amazing abuser of Arena Trap. Switching to Sand Force would also cause Excadrill and Landorus to utterly outclass Dugtrio as a sandstorm sweeper. Excadrill and Landorus utterly outclass Sand Force Dugtrio as a sandstorm sweeper.</p>
lots of nitpicking but overall very good. If I missed any curly apostrophes, or team mates, make sure to correct them. Also, change all Pokémon to Pokemon.

Dugtrio wants 224 speed to outpace ScarfTar.
Shit. You're right. While Scarftar is a rather uncommon threat this generation (to my knowledge), I'd like a QC mod to confirm that 252 Atk / 32 Def / 224 Spe is a superior spread.

-Zane

Edit: Also, I'll go to a café and add the GP checks tomorrow. I hate this no internet bullshit. I still need another stamp, anyhow.

More Edit: Almost all of bob's changes have been made to the OP. Feel free to use the OP for GP-ing.

Okay. Updated with most of NixHex's modifications (some were further altered to allow smoothness of prose, and only one or two were ignored due to misinterpretation).

Removed the single mention of Garchomp in the calculations.

This SHOULD be done, however, I still need a QC mod to agree with changing the Speed EVs in order to outspeed +1 Jolly Tyranitar.

-Zane

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple of things:

- RE: The damage calcs. Honestly, I don't think they're really needed that much. Most people will be able to run a quick damage calculation, even in the middle of a battle, and certainly nobody will waste their time running down a long list of calculations. Damage calcs only really serve one purpose, and that's for "selling" a set, so that people will look at it and say "wow gosh look at that isn't it strong I'm going to use it". Most people know what Duggy is and isn't capable of, and you've explained most of the big targets already in the set comments.

- Move paragraph 3 to AC and merge paragraphs 4 and 5. It looks a bit neater that way.

- RE: The EVs, I don't think Dugtrio is really going to miss those two points in Defence in exchange for beating one more threat, however uncommon. Just change it, I guess, and if a QC team member disagrees then just change it back.

Couple of things:

- RE: The damage calcs. Honestly, I don't think they're really needed that much. Most people will be able to run a quick damage calculation, even in the middle of a battle, and certainly nobody will waste their time running down a long list of calculations. Damage calcs only really serve one purpose, and that's for "selling" a set, so that people will look at it and say "wow gosh look at that isn't it strong I'm going to use it". Most people know what Duggy is and isn't capable of, and you've explained most of the big targets already in the set comments.

- Move paragraph 3 to AC and merge paragraphs 4 and 5. It looks a bit neater that way.

- RE: The EVs, I don't think Dugtrio is really going to miss those two points in Defence in exchange for beating one more threat, however uncommon. Just change it, I guess, and if a QC team member disagrees then just change it back.
EVs changed and calculations removed for neatness (and because I'm too lazy to do the rest, anyhow...). Paragraphs 4 and 5 are merged.

However, may I ask why you want paragraph 3 in AC? It's describing the option of Substitute, which is slashed in the moveset... Thus, (unless I'm misinterpreting the point of the Set Comments section) it's appropriate there.

-Zane

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I want to suggest the inclusion of this set:

[SET]
name: Reversal
move 1: Reversal
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock / Sucker Punch
item: Focus Sash
nature: Hasty
ivs: 0 Def
evs: 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 224 Spe

This set is meant to be used on weather teams (mostly sun teams). Focus Sash and Reversal let Dugtrio switch in on and eliminate, respectively, Tyranitar more easily. It can also kill Politoed and Ninetales, of course, with Sash letting it switch in more easily. Focus Sash can also guarantee Stealth Rock if necessary.

I want to suggest the inclusion of this set:

[SET]
name: Reversal
move 1: Reversal
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock / Sucker Punch
item: Focus Sash
nature: Hasty
ivs: 0 Def
evs: 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 224 Spe

This set is meant to be used on weather teams (mostly sun teams). Focus Sash and Reversal let Dugtrio switch in on and eliminate, respectively, Tyranitar more easily. It can also kill Politoed and Ninetales, of course, with Sash letting it switch in more easily. Focus Sash can also guarantee Stealth Rock if necessary.
But Dugtrio is so extremely frail, that if there's a faster priority user or a faster multi-hit user, Dugtrio's Sash is history and it drops like a ton of lead in the process.

Oh, wait, I see how it's supposed to work. It either Endures or it gets hit with a powerful move that gets it to 1HP because of the Sash, then it Reversals and hits much of the metagame for pretty decent damage. Then it could either SR or Sucker Punch to wreak more havoc. Am I right?

EDIT: Forget about the Endure comment, I realize it doesn't have Endure. ._.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)