Dugtrio [QC 0/3]

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is very heavily based on my own XY Preview (like some of it is C/Ped). Let me know if I need to change up the prose and I will.

Overview
########

Dugtrio is one of few usable trappers in the OU metagame. While it has an inferior ability to Gothitelle and Wobbuffet, Dugtrio is the only trapper that is either fast or a physical attacker. This provides Dugtrio with a clear niche in the metagame, as the best suited Pokemon to remove a wide assortment of opponents. However, since it is incredibly frail and not overly powerful, Dugtrio will require substantial support from teammates and a good amount of prediction in order to successfully trap the threats you are aiming to eliminate.

SET NAME
########
name: Trapper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Reversal
move 4: Stealth Rock / Memento / Sucker Punch
ability: Arena Trap
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

The first three moves are all typical coverage for Dugtrio. While Fighting coverage may appear redundant with Dugtrio's Ground STAB, it provides Dugtrio a stronger hit against the very important Tyranitar after being brought down to its Focus Sash.

The final moveslot can be played in three interesting ways. Memento provides help to your team if you have a notable set up sweeper that can become very threatening in one move, such as Azumarill, Talonflame, or Volcarona. On the other hand, Sucker Punch will provide Dugtrio with some protection against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users as well as an extra priority move against many Pokemon that your team might struggle with otherwise. However, if neither of those two options are particularly necessary, Stealth Rock Dugtrio provides the most general utility of them all

Set Details
========

The recommended EVs and Nature are both very straightforward. Dugtrio's only strengths are Speed and Attack, which complement its incredible Arena Trap ability and enable it to trap many notable Pokemon in OU.

Focus Sash is the preferred item since it provides Dugtrio protection while it 2HKOs many of the targets it fails to OHKO.

Usage Tips
========

Use this set to target many Pokemon: Volcarona, Klefki, Heatran, Excadrill, Heliolisk, Magnezone, Dragalge, Ninetales, Lucario, and, most notably, Tyranitar. Dugtrio is not super strong, so many of these threats won't be KOed without prior damage.

Plays very well with U-turn and Volt Switch on predicted switch-ins of these targets.

Plays best with Rapid Spin, Defog or Magic Bounce support, so that Dugtrio's Focus Sash stays intact.

Team Options
========

It is generally best to pair Dugtrio with a teammate that particularly struggles with the Pokemon Dugtrio can remove.

Dugtrio plays best when you can lure in the Pokemon you aim to be trapping. For example, Scizor's presence on the field against a weakened foe in the range where Bullet Punch is a KO may cause your opponent to switch in their Heatran. A predicted U-turn instead will enable you to remove Heatran with Dugtrio and clear Scizor's way later.

Other Options
########

Since the standard Focus Sash set has underwhelming power, an alternative set using Choice Band or Life Orb can be used.

However, it is important to note that it will have a much harder time finding the appropriate time to trap and remove its targets when it doesn't have the security of a Focus Sash. For example, if you switch in Focus Sash Dugtrio as Volcarona uses Quiver Dance, you can safely use Stone Edge the next turn. Dugtrio lacking Focus Sash will instead be knocked out.

Checks & Counters
########

The best way to render Dugtrio useless is to not use anything it is particularly effective at trapping, since if it traps one of your non-Levitating, Flying-, Ghost-type Pokemon, you can't switch out to a check or counter.

Additionally, since Dugtrio is so reliant on Focus Sash remaining intact, keeping your entry hazards up will severely limit Dugtrio's viability.

Dugtrio is incredibly frail and can be revenge killed by almost anything. Some priority users, such as Weavile and Scizor, and almost anything that outspeeds it with a Choice Scarf, are great options.

But you don't have to outspeed Dugtrio to beat it. Many things also don't mind Dugtrio's attacks and are good options despite being slower, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Skarmory.

Definitely mention genesect ask team options, they literally go together perfectly. Talonflame as well, for both mons their counters are wrecked by duggy, and have u turn to get it in safely

I've had really good success in the past using a scarfed set, it's very likely only an OO mention at best but the pool of things that it can revenge is so much bigger, especially late game.

Also I think Memento has more utility than Stealth Rock, Dugtrio never wants to risk taking a hit with its god awful bulk, and Memento ensures that Dugtrio will always have something productive to do when its trapping duties are over.

Definitely mention genesect ask team options, they literally go together perfectly. Talonflame as well, for both mons their counters are wrecked by duggy, and have u turn to get it in safely
Duggy can't take Rotom-W, Air Balloon Heatran & Tyranitar/Mega if sash is broken, which users with said Pokemon will play to preserve said Pokemon or keep rocks down.

Still an okay Pokemon but not as good as a weather dominated meta like BW2 OU.

Duggy can't take Rotom-W, Air Balloon Heatran & Tyranitar/Mega if sash is broken, which users with said Pokemon will play to preserve said Pokemon or keep rocks down.

Still an okay Pokemon but not as good as a weather dominated meta like BW2 OU.
I'm not saying its a great mon, but a good player will not allow its sash to be broken, and air balloon tran isn't a problem if u uturn on it. Also, while it can't trap rotom, rotom is only a talonflame counter, not a genesect counter. So it traps 3/4 talonflame counters and heatran for genesect

I actually running my dugtrio with max speed, attack, and with an expert belt. Stone Edge, beat up, Earthquake, and rock smash.

I actually running my dugtrio with max speed, attack, and with an expert belt. Stone Edge, beat up, Earthquake, and rock smash.
Rock Smash's low BP along with Dugtrio's barely average Attack stat is not worth it at all. Night Slash is a always a better option over Beat Up anyways however on Dugtrio at least. It NEEDS that sash as it's bulk is terrible to do it's job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)