UU Dugtrio

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Taken over from namehtmas who wrote most of the overview, other options, checks and counters, and the Focus Sash set
Overview
########
Being the only fully evolved Pokemon to have the ability Arena Trap gives Dugtrio a niche in in UU; it can pick off and revenge kill many threats, as Arena Trap renders them unable to escape. It also has an excellent Speed stat, only being outsped by Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Noivern while also Speed tying with Alakazam. However, not all is well for Dugtrio, as it has a relatively low Attack stat for an offensive Pokemon and is extremely frail, falling to even some resisted attacks. Because of this, Dugtrio is a high-risk, high-reward Pokemon that only works well if used correctly. Also, Arena Trap only traps grounded Pokemon, so Flying-types, Levitate users, and Ghost-types can switch out to a more suitable counter. While it does have its downsides, Dugtrio's Speed and trap-and-kill utility earns it a spot on many teams.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Sucker Punch / Memento
ability: Arena Trap
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB move that deals significant damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Stone Edge hits the Flying- and Bug-types that resist Earthquake super effectively and forms the famous EdgeQuake combination. Aerial Ace is used to pick off threats such as Roserade and Shaymin with low HP and deals heavy damage to Heracross. Sucker Punch is mostly a filler move, but the priority can come in handy for picking off faster threats and getting the jump on Alakazam. Memento is also an option in the last slot to give a sweeper a chance to set up after Dugtrio has done its work.

Set Details
========

The EVs are used to maximize Dugtrio's Attack and Speed, which are the stats that Dugtrio should be depending on the most. A Jolly nature is recommended over Adamant because the Speed is absolutely crucial to Dugtrio's success, but Adamant can be used to guarantee a 2HKO on Blissey. A Choice Band is used to boost Dugtrio's Attack to decent levels. Also, because of Arena Trap, no prediction is required as the opponent can't switch unless it is a Ghost- or Flying-type or has the ability Levitate.

Usage Tips
========

This Dugtrio set should be used for removing threats, revenge killing, and cleaning up late-game. It can trap and KO major threats to your team using its high Speed stat. Also, double switch into Pokemon that Dugtrio can take out. For example, you can bait Empoleon, double switch into Dugtrio, and then remove it with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Poison-, Steel-, Ground-, Rock-, Fire-, and Electric-types make good partners as they can sweep more easily after their checks are removed. For example, Lucario likes the removal of Nidoqueen, which Earthquake hits super effectively, Calm Mind Slowbro appreciates having Electric-types out of its way, and even walls such as Florges can benefit as Earthquake hits Poison- and Steel-types super effectively. Blissey also like the removal of Lucario, which otherwise decimates her with Close Combat. Other Pokemon Dugtrio can effectively trap and KO include Mega Ampharos, Tentacruel, Arcanine, Jirachi, and Mega Houndoom. Dugtrio is also good at removing offensive threats to your team because of its high Speed, so even defensive Pokemon make good partners for Dugtrio. They can also switch into attacks that Dugtrio can't take.

Reversal
########
name: Reversal
move 1: Reversal
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge / Memento
move 4: Stealth Rock / Sucker Punch / Memento
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

At low HP, Reversal becomes the most powerful move Dugtrio possesses and has good coverage. If Focus Sash activates, it reaches 200 Base Power, making it more powerful than Earthquake after STAB. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move, but keep in mind that it is less powerful than Reversal when at low HP. Stone Edge provides coverage against Bug- and Flying-types, and the three combined have perfect neutral coverage. Stealth Rock can be used in the last slot if your team lacks a setter, and it gives Dugtrio something to do other than attack when trying to get to low HP. Memento can be used in the last slot too for situations where Dugtrio is stuck against something it can't beat and you want to give another sweeper a chance to set up. Sucker Punch can be used for a priority move as well.

Set Details
========

The chosen EVs maximize Attack and Speed, which are the only stats that matter for Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail. Focus Sash guarantees that Dugtrio can do something on the first turn and helps get into the low HP range so Reversal can be effective. A spread of 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe can be used to guarantee that Dugtrio will be in the 2% range after Stealth Rock and two Seismic Tosses.

Usage Tips
========

You must be very careful when using Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail and will fall to even some resisted attacks if its Focus Sash is broken. This set should be used exclusively for revenge killing and should never switch in manually, except on a double switch. It makes an excellent check to Blissey as it takes at minimum three Seismic Tosses to KO, so Dugtrio can hit her hard with Reversal.

Team Options
========

Dugtrio excels as removing opponents weak to Ground- and Fighting-type moves, so any Pokemon that like those removed appreciate its support. Bulky Water-types in particular make good teammates because Dugtrio can remove Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Cacturne that can usually set up on them. Dugtrio also appreciates a spinner or Defogger so its Focus Sash can stay intact.

Other Options
########

A Life Orb set can be used for late-game cleaning, but it is generally outclassed by more powerful Pokemon with similar Speed. Toxic can be used to break down walls, but any damage at all done to Dugtrio will severely cripple it for the rest of the time it is alive. A Substitute + Liechi Berry set can be used, but it can be hard to get into Berry range because of Dugtrio's frailty (though its high Speed stat is very useful). It should be noted, however, that a +1 Reversal can OHKO Blissey.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon That Can Escape From Arena Trap**: Flying-types, Ghost-types, and Levitate users are the only Pokemon capable of switching out of Arena Trap, so they can switch out to a more suitable counter.

**Bulky Grass- and Water-types**: Bulky Grass- and Water-types can usually survive a hit from Dugtrio and OHKO back with their super effective STAB moves.
Overview
########
  • Only fully evolved mon with arena trap
  • Can trap and kill a lot of relevant threats in uu
  • Very good speed stat
  • Very frail, and attack stat is supbar for an offensive mon
Choice Band
########
move 4: Sucker Punch

Moves
========

• Earthquake is a powerful STAB move
  • Stone Edge is for coverage mostly to hit Flying- and Bug-types and forms the EdgeQuake combo
  • Aerial Ace is to pick off threats such as Shaymin and Roserade with low HP and does major damage to Heracross
  • Sucker Punch is mostly filler but the priority can come in handy

Set Details
========

• EVs and nature are to maximize Attack and Speed, the stats Dugtrio should depend on
  • Choice Band is to increase Dugtrio's mediocre Attack to decent levels, helping in revenge kill threats

Usage Tips
========

• Should be used to revenge kill opponents and clean late-game using its excellent Speed
  • Can trap and KO major threats to your team

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that appreciate the removal of threats Dugtrio can take out
  • Some walls such as Blissey appreciate Dugtrio because it can remove threats to them

Trapper
########
name: Trapper
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock / Memento

Moves
========

• Reversal - Hits for 200 BP after focus sash activates, fighting gets good coverage and allows you to revenge a lot of things
  • Earthquake - Standard STAB
  • Stone Edge - Hits flying and bug types that resist the other two moves (note: you won't be trapping flying types)
  • Stealth Rock - Set up at full health when reversal doesn't do much, allowing sash to activate
  • Memento - Cripple a mon you can't KO and allow for something else to come in and sweep

Set Details
========

• EVs maximize Speed and Atk, the only stats that matter for Duggy
  • Focus Sash guarantees getting an attack off, and allows Duggy to easily get in to max damage range for Reversal

Usage Tips
========
  • Have to be careful when to use Dugtrio as it is very frail
  • Should be used exclusively for revenge killing

Team Options
========
  • Team options are pretty general, as Duggy gets rid of specific mons
  • Duggy excels at getting rid of types weak to Fighting and Ground, so mons that appreciate those types being gone (for instance, Suicune generally appreciates Duggy being able to remove Toxicroak; most offensive teams like being able to get rid of Mega Manectric)
  • Defogger/Spinner so that sash can say intact

Other Options
########

• Choice Band
  • Life Orb
  • Toxic for walls
  • Aerial Ace can be used to hit Heracross
  • Sucker Punch can be used for priority, though it is very weak

Checks & Counters
########

It should be noted that Dugtrio has no effective counters as by definition a counter needs to be able to switch in.

**Flying-types, Ghost-types, and Levitate users**: Flying-types, Ghost-types, and Levitate users are the only Pokemon capable of switching out of Arena Trap.

**Bulky Grass- and Water-types**: Bulky Grass- and Water-types can usually survive a hit from Dugtrio and OHKO back with their super effective STAB moves

Last edited:
OK so I gave you the OP, do what we said in the other thread. I'm not entirely sure that the Sash set should be removed simply because Sash + Reversal guarantees it'll beat Blissey, while CB needs Adamant to 2HKO her (and that's ugly because you can't rk CM Raikou or NP Dog, meaning it shouldn't be the first nature).

Edit: CM Raikou is not that common and NP Dog took a hit in usage, both mainly due to Blissey, but at least the latter is still a threat meaning Jolly should be the first slash. I can see Sash being OO tho, but I'd like more input.

Last edited:

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
hey umm sorry I was out of town without internet when I got the 24 hour notice...I was planning on finishing dugtrio after the whole drops thing was sorted out but since QC doesn't want that I'd be more than happy to finish it tomorrow so if I could have the analysis back I would really appreciate it :S

EDIT: also, you also specifically asked me if you could take it to which I responded and then still went ahead and asked to take it from me even after I explained why

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I added Choice Band so can somebody make sure that looks good. After that, I will do the write up

Ummm yeah you should probably give this back... especially considering he told you he was planning on working on it :/

Seems kind of rude to me tbh :o

Ununhexium

Tbh you can have it back if you really want it idgaf but it was inactive for like 20 days prior and you said "after the drops sort themselves out" or something. That's like a month.

You can take it back just next time beware I am not falling for that "I was gonna" bs

Tbh you can have it back if you really want it idgaf but it was inactive for like 20 days prior and you said "after the drops sort themselves out" or something. That's like a month.

You can take it back just next time beware I am not falling for that "I was gonna" bs
I think what he meant by "the drops sorting out" was if shit like Blissey would be BL'd or not, which is pretty important.

Ununhexium

Yeah but it was not updated since may 11 which is about 20 days before the drops even dropped...

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yeah I let it sit for a bit because I had finals and stuff until mid-late may and by the time I was gonna start working on it again (I think the 28th in my original thread), but drops were happening not too long after and with the radical change to those entailed I thought it would be best to just wait it out...if there really is a big sense of urgency to get this done now I'll have no problem doing it (same goes with the other analysis I have at 2/3 right now). I'm not trying to bs you or anything, I just legitimately thought waiting out the 2 weeks wouldn't be a bad idea to get a good grasp on what's going to stay and what's going to go.

Last edited:
yeah, one quick tip: the third move on the sash set should be stone edge/memento, as opposed to just stone edge; eq/rev/sr/memento is a viable combination.

Last edited:
nah, what i meant was:

after you do it, this is 3/3

Last edited by a moderator:
No this is not ready for GP, we got some work to do on this.

-In overview, you talk like Arena Trap keeps EVERYTHING in. You need to mention that it only traps grounded foes as levitators and flyers have no forced obligation to stay in vs Duggy.
-usage tips. Dugtrio is put on a team to trap and kill specific mons in order to allow for those to sweep so in usage, the player should be focussing on trying to bait in a situation where Dugtrio can trap these problem mons. For example, double switching from a water type on a predicted switch to Empoleon in order to trap Empoleon to stop it defogging is an example of how Dugtrio plays. It is a high risk-high reward mon and due to it's ability the reward in making successful predictions is far greater than with say double switching to Heracross on Empoleon since Empoleon isn't forced to stay in. However, this doesn't always have to be the case. Dugtrio basically forces the opponent to not KO your teams mons with things like Electric-Types without the risk of being trapped next turn, so it plays by putting constant doubt into the mind of the opponent.
-Ok team options, idk wtf is going on there but it needs to be geared to Dugtrio taking out Electric-,Steel-,Fire-,Poison- and Rock-Types since these are the mons it can hit Super Effectively. It can take out other mons with STAB EQ but for the most due to Duggy's low attack it should be taking out these mons. For example, a pokemon that likes these types being removed is Florges since Steel and Poison hit SE and Fire-Types can come in on Moonblasts and retaliate with things like STAB V-Create, Flare Blitz, etc. So team options should be pushed to maximum Dugtrio's supporting capabilities and ability to trap and KO problem pokemon. Don't just put Florges cause I said it, think of other examples such as Lucario enjoying Poison-Types like Nidoqueen being removed or water types like CM slowbro enjoying Electric types being removed. Dugtrio aims to remove checks and counters to its teammates and due to Arena Trap, can basically pick and choose what is necessary for a particular mon to sweep etc. Basically a poor man's Mega Gengar if you will.
-mention sub liechi in oo as it can reliably trap and KO blissey without having to worry about being toxic stalled since it can sub on toxic, force blissey to attack and continue subbing to liechi + reversal range where blissey dies as seen below
+1 252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 854-1006 (119.6 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-In C&C, you say 'no mon can switch out of duggy' then proceed to list 3 of mons that can. So reword that too, counters are limited to mons that can actually switch out of Dugtrio.
**Flyers, Levitators, ghost types** etc etc

Make all those changes, call me back and you can have your official QC 3/3.

Change team options for the sash set to better reflect it's ability to take out specific counters to other teammates. Not Ground and fighting since neither of them are weak to EQ and also slash Adamant after Jolly on CB since it 2HKO'es Blissey with STAB EQ.

Once that is done QC 3/3

Ununhexium

Change team options for the sash set to better reflect it's ability to take out specific counters to other teammates. Not Ground and fighting since neither of them are weak to EQ
I didn't say they were... I meant to say that it uses its Fighting- and Ground-type moves

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Being the only fully evolved Pokemon to bear to have the ability Arena Trap provides gives Dugtrio's a niche in the metagame. This allows it to pick off and revenge kill many threats in UU, as Arena Trap renders them unable to escape from it. It also has an excellent Speed stat, only being outsped by Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Noivern, while also Speed tying with Alakazam. However, not all is well for Dugtrio, as it has a relatively low Attack stat for an offensive Pokemon, and it is extremely frail, falling to even some resisted attacks. Because of this, Dugtrio is a high-risk,(AC) high-reward Pokemon that only works well if played used correctly. Also, Arena Trap only traps grounded Pokemon, so Flying-types, Levitate users, and Ghost-types can switch out to a more suitable counter. While it does have its downsides, Dugtrio's Speed and trap-and-kill utility earns it a spot on many teams.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB move that deals a significant damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Stone Edge hits the Flying- and Bug-types that resist Earthquake super effectively, and forms the famous EdgeQuake combination. Aerial Ace is used to pick off threats such as Roserade and Shaymin with low HP, and it also deals heavy damage to Heracross. Sucker Punch is mostly a filler move, but the priority can come in handy for picking off faster threats and getting the jump on Alakazam. Memento is also an option in the last slot to give a sweeper a chance to set up after Dugtrio has done its work.

Set Details
========

The EVs are used to maximize Dugtrio's Attack and Speed, which are the stats that Dugtrio should be depending on the most. A Jolly nature is recommended over Adamant because the Speed is absolutely crucial to Dugtrio's success, but an Adamant nature can be used to guarantee a 2HKO on Blissey. A Choice Band is used to boost Dugtrio's Attack to decent levels. Also, because of Arena Trap, no prediction is required as the opponent can't switch unless it is a Ghost- or Flying-type or has the ability Levitate.

Usage Tips
========

This Dugtrio set should be used for removing threats to your team, revenge killing, and cleaning up late-game using its high Speed and good Attack after Choice Band (What else would it use?). It can trap and KO major threats to your team using its high Speed stat. Also, double switch into Pokemon that Dugtrio can take out. For example, you can bait Empoleon, double switch into Dugtrio and trap Empoleon, and then remove it with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the removal of specific threats make good partners for Dugtrio, as they can more easily finish off your opponent's team after their threats are removed. (redundant) Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Poison-, Steel-, Ground-, Rock-, Fire-, and Electric-types make good partners as they can sweep more easily after their checks are removes. For example, Lucario likes the removal of Nidoqueen, which Earthquake hits super effectively,; Calm Mind Slowbro appreciates having Electric-types out of its way, and even walls such as Florges can benefit as Earthquake hits Poison- and Steel-types super effectively. Blissey also like the removal of Lucario which otherwise decimates her with Close Combat. Other Pokemon Dugtrio can effectively trap and KO include Mega Ampharos, Tentacruel, Arcanine, Jirachi, Mega Houndoom, and Chandelure (lazy qc imo, how can this guy trap ghost-types????). Dugtrio is also good at removing offensive threats to your team because of its high Speed, so even defensive Pokemon make good partners for Dugtrio. They can also switch into attacks that Dugtrio can't take.y appreciate Dugtrio because it can remove threats to them (what?)

Reversal
########

Moves
========

At low HP, Reversal becomes the most powerful move Dugtrio possesses and has good coverage. If Focus Sash activates, it reaches 200 Base Power, making it more powerful than Earthquake after STAB. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move, but keep in mind that it is less powerful than Reversal when at low HP. Stone Edge provides coverage against Bug- and Flying-types, and the three combined have perfect neutral coverage. Stealth Rock can be used in the last slot if your team lacks a setter, and gives you something to do other than attack when trying to get to low HP. Memento can be used once Dugtrio is stuck against something it can't beat and you want to give another sweeper a chance to set up. Sucker Punch can be used for a priority move.

Set Details
========

The chosen EVs maximize Attack and Speed, which are the only stats that matter for Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail. Focus sash guarantees that Dugtrio can do something on the first turn and helps get into the low HP range so Reversal can be effective. A spread of 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe can be used to guarantee that Dugtrio will be in the 2% range after Stealth Rock and two Seismic Tosses.

Usage Tips
========

You must be very careful when using Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail and will fall to even some resisted attacks. This set should be used exclusively for revenge killing and should never switch in manually, except on a double switch. It makes an excellent check to Blissey as it takes at minimum three Seismic Tosses to KO, so Dugtrio can hit her (is it 100% female?) hard with Reversal.

Team Options
========

Anything that appreciates certain Pokemon gone appreciate the utility Dugtrio provides. It excels as removing opponents weak to Ground- and Fighting-type moves, so any Pokemon that like those removed appreciate Dugtrio. Bulky Water-types in particular like Dugtrio because he can remove Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Cacturne that can usually set up on them. Like the Choice Band set, (can't mention other sets) Dugtrio does well against any Pokemon weak to Earthquake and Reversal, so it can remove them if they are threats to your team. Dugtrio also appreciates a spinner or Defogger so its Focus Sash can stay intact.

Other Options
########

A Life Orb set can be used for late-game cleaning, but it is generally outclassed by more powerful Pokemon with similar Speed. Toxic can be used to break down walls, but any damage at all done to Dugtrio will severely cripple it for the rest of the time it is alive. A Substitute + Liechi Berry set can be used, but can be hard to get into Berry range because of its frailty (though its high Speed stat is very useful). It should be noted, however, that a +1 Reversal can OHKO Blissey.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon that can escape from Arena Trap**: Flying-types, Ghost-types, and Levitate users are the only Pokemon capable of switching out of Arena Trap, so they can switch out to a more suitable counter.

**Bulky Grass- and Water-types**: Bulky Grass- and Water-types can usually survive a hit from Dugtrio and OHKO back with their super effective STAB moves.
GP 1/2

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
Being the only fully evolved Pokemon to have the ability Arena Trap gives Dugtrio a niche in the metagame UU; it can This allows it to pick off and revenge kill many threats in UU, as Arena Trap renders them unable to escape (linked the two sentences since one logically leads to the other). It also has an excellent Speed stat, only being outsped by Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Noivern, (remove comma) while also Speed tying with Alakazam. However, not all is well for Dugtrio, as it has a relatively low Attack stat for an offensive Pokemon, (remove comma) and is extremely frail, falling to even some resisted attacks. Because of this, Dugtrio is a high-risk, high-reward Pokemon that only works well if used correctly. Also, Arena Trap only traps grounded Pokemon, so Flying-types, Levitate users, and Ghost-types can switch out to a more suitable counter. While it does have its downsides, Dugtrio's Speed and trap-and-kill utility earns it a spot on many teams.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB move that deals significant damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Stone Edge hits the Flying- and Bug-types that resist Earthquake super effectively, (remove comma) and forms the famous EdgeQuake combination. Aerial Ace is used to pick off threats such as Roserade and Shaymin with low HP, (remove comma) and deals heavy damage to Heracross. Sucker Punch is mostly a filler move, but the priority can come in handy for picking off faster threats and getting the jump on Alakazam. Memento is also an option in the last slot to give a sweeper a chance to set up after Dugtrio has done its work.

(Keep in mind that you shouldn't bifurcate two verb phrases with a comma. "I went to play football, and kicked someone in the nuts" ---> "I went to play football and kicked someone in the nuts". Check out this great link on ]commas for more info)

Set Details
========

The EVs are used to maximize Dugtrio's Attack and Speed, which are the stats that Dugtrio should be depending on the most. A Jolly nature is recommended over Adamant because the Speed is absolutely crucial to Dugtrio's success, but Adamant can be used to guarantee a 2HKO on Blissey. A Choice Band is used to boost Dugtrio's Attack to decent levels. Also, because of Arena Trap, no prediction is required as the opponent can't switch unless it is a Ghost- or Flying-type or has the ability Levitate. (Doesn't this last sentence about prediction belong more in Usage Tips? I know you're mentioning the ability here, but that should be obvious enough :])

Usage Tips
========

This Dugtrio set should be used for removing threats to your team, revenge killing, and cleaning up late-game. It can trap and KO major threats to your team using its high Speed stat. Also, double switch into Pokemon that Dugtrio can take out. For example, you can bait Empoleon, double switch into Dugtrio, and then remove it with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Poison-, Steel-, Ground-, Rock-, Fire-, and Electric-types make good partners for Dugtrio as they can sweep more easily after their checks are removed. For example, Lucario likes the removal of Nidoqueen, which Earthquake hits super effectively, Calm Mind Slowbro appreciates having Electric-types out of its way, and even walls such as Florges can benefit as Earthquake hits Poison- and Steel-types super effectively. Blissey also like the removal of Lucario, (add comma) which otherwise decimates her with Close Combat. Other Pokemon Dugtrio can effectively trap and KO include Mega Ampharos, Tentacruel, Arcanine, Jirachi, and Mega Houndoom. Dugtrio is also good at removing offensive threats to your team because of its high Speed, so even defensive Pokemon make good partners for Dugtrio. They can also switch into attacks that Dugtrio can't take.

Reversal
########

Moves
========

At low HP, Reversal becomes the most powerful move Dugtrio possesses and has good coverage. If Focus Sash activates, it reaches 200 Base Power, making it more powerful than Earthquake after STAB. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move, but keep in mind that it is less powerful than Reversal when at low HP. Stone Edge provides coverage against Bug- and Flying-types, and the three combined have perfect neutral coverage. Stealth Rock can be used in the last slot if your team lacks a setter, and it gives you Dugtrio something to do other than attack when trying to get to low HP. Memento can be used in the last slot too for situations where once Dugtrio is stuck against something it can't beat and you want to give another sweeper a chance to set up. Sucker Punch can be used for a priority move as well. (if there are several moves slashed in a moveslot, always emphasize that there is a choice between the two)

Set Details
========

The chosen EVs maximize Attack and Speed, which are the only stats that matter for Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail. Focus Sash guarantees that Dugtrio can do something on the first turn and helps get into the low HP range so Reversal can be effective. A spread of 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe can be used to guarantee that Dugtrio will be in the 2% range after Stealth Rock and two Seismic Tosses.

Usage Tips
========

You must be very careful when using Dugtrio as it is incredibly frail and will fall to even some resisted attacks if its Focus Sash is broken. This set should be used exclusively for revenge killing and should never switch in manually, except on a double switch. It makes an excellent check to Blissey as it takes at minimum three Seismic Tosses to KO, so Dugtrio can hit her hard with Reversal.

Team Options
========

Anything that appreciates certain Pokemon gone appreciate the utility Dugtrio provides. It Dugtrio excels at removing opponents weak to Ground- and Fighting-type moves, so any Pokemon that like those removed appreciate Dugtrio its support (gosh so many 'appreciate's ._.). Bulky Water-types in particular like Dugtrio make good teammates because he Dugtrio can remove Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Cacturne that can usually set up on them. Dugtrio does well against any Pokemon weak to Earthquake and Reversal, so it can remove them if they are threats to your team. (You already said that) Dugtrio also appreciates a spinner or Defogger so its Focus Sash can stay intact.

Other Options
########

A Life Orb set can be used for late-game cleaning, but it is generally outclassed by more powerful Pokemon with similar Speed. Toxic can be used to break down walls, but any damage at all done to Dugtrio will severely cripple it for the rest of the time it is alive. A Substitute + Liechi Berry set can be used, but it can be hard to get into Berry range because of its Dugtrio's frailty (though its high Speed stat is very useful). It should be noted, however, that a +1 Reversal can OHKO Blissey.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon That Can Escape From Arena Trap**: Flying-types, Ghost-types, and Levitate users are the only Pokemon capable of switching out of Arena Trap, so they can switch out to a more suitable counter.

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)