Dummy Subs and Sportsmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is still an overcomplicated attempt to enforce sportsmanship that requires the addition of even more complicated exceptions to cover something that makes it take one extra minute to order

seriously why is it necessary to add something to the rules because somebody couldn't take one minute to cover somebody doing something dumb like that

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
oh god I can't believe you guys are considering creating a rule out of sheer laziness.

Don't try to fool anyone here. If sportmanship were a concern the "illegal = reorder" general rule would have never been revisited. Or this discussion would certainly not be restricted to "dummy subs". The fact that you are keeping that and arguing about removing the harshness just out of "Dummy Subs" means you are saying like "you can continue to suffer due to illegal actions I will continue to captalize on it. But I don't admit that I end up being the one harmed here." or better "you should be mean only to the user of illegal subs not to the other player". So yeah, in the end a patch like that on dummy subs would make make the player have EVEN LESS sportmanship. Since not only he can captalize on illegal actions by his opponents but also he can't be harmed if he didn't captalize or ignored the illegality. In fact, he will get a second chance to captalize.

I am putting my foot down on the matter and as far as I am concerned, this discussion has no merits and disgusts me to no end. Luckily for you I am only 1/4 of the mod team and my putting my foot down doesn't have any actual repercussions. But seriously? This makes me sick. opening all tabs and using ctrl+f takes less than a minute. Reordering takes days. We are slow enough as it is. No need to make it even slower just because the player ordering last doesn't want to be caught as victim of their own laziness.

Endure - Shadowstrike - Phantom Force
IF Will-o-Wisp or Encore and you are to use Endure, THEN Shadowstrike + Shadowstrike that action instead
IF Encore A2 then Shadow Sneak and push back
Chill ~ Will-o-Wisp ~ dig (suspend)
11:30:31 PM <Alakazam> [6:29pm] TIBot: Alakazam can't learn Will-O-Wisp.

Having been tricked by a sub for a move i dont have, I find no reason to be salty. It's a trap and I fell for it, simple as that. I suppose it's a slightly different scenario, but it's still a substitution referencing an uncarried move. (i was in class then ok ;_;)

This is more or less relevant to this I think.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I'm mostly ('disgusted' is a wee bit of a strong word ¬¬) in agreement with Frosty here. It's not a mammoth task to check your movepools (202 Refs are tested on it). Re-orders take too long, and we decided that illegal subs don't activate into struggle when we were making the gae more newbie-friendly.

If it's a cultural issue, then the only solution would be to make sure you check your subs and your opponent's subs, and if they're wasting subs or pulling cheap tricks, you can punish them and revert the cultural shift.

What is wrong with Ooraloo's solution? Idgi. We have already visited and revisited subs before, so why is this an issue now?

Edit: It doesn't encourage laziness, infact it discourages laziness in both cases of ordering first or second.

What is the real argument against Ooraloo's solution here?

What is wrong with Ooraloo's solution? Idgi. We have already visited and revisited subs before, so why is this an issue now?

Edit: It doesn't encourage laziness, infact it discourages laziness in both cases of ordering first or second.

I dont think anyone actually was referring to it; most have been commenting wrt texas' idea i think.
Idk though, might just be me + the fact that i never even saw that lol.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

It is the antithesis to the whole point of stopping Struggle surmounting from a Substitution which we clearly decided we did not want to help newer players out.

---

Anyhow, I have never been too strong on the issue but we have half the mod team vehemently against this and I was never really for this in the first place (I said I would only support Texas' idea if it we ABSOLUTELY MUST implement a measure).

The thing is, while this is an issue, it's an issue that easily circumvented by not being lazy and actually taking 1-2 minutes of your time to check if they actually have the moves they say they are using. If someone makes a dummy and you fall for it, then it's your fault for not checking. If they get caught out, then it's their fault that their "gambit" did not go to plan. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I see no reason to punish this through Struggle as per above.

Telling people to "just not do it" means diddly squat because it's an "honour code" and honour codes are like a wall made of playing cards; some people might not want to break down the wall, but some will and find it's easy to break down and not worry about any backlash from it, ruining the whole point of the honour code. This is why I am not going to endorse such a thing in this ASB. I believe that when people play ASB, they should not be held back by stigmas associated with legal tactics and that those who want to play to win should be allowed to play to win (and those who want to play for fun should be allowed to play for fun as well) and telling people not to do something goes against this. If you so desperately do not wish to deal with dummy subs, then make an arena with a house rule stopping them from happening.

With that, I am going to side with my two colleagues against this and give this whole issue the veto hammer as there is no point continuing this if the mod team does not wish to have such a rule implemented in ASB. It was worth discussing a little at least and putting it in the spotlight but on the whole, it's just not worth pursuing because again (mod team not wanting it aside), it's only a rule to accompany laziness by making a foolproof gambit—that's only beneficial to the user if the opponent does not know what they are doing—worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)