Dunsparce (BW2 Update)

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Code:
[B][U]To-Do List:[/U][/B]
I. Fix any errors pertaining to the content of the analysis. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]

II. Receive two QC Checks, fixing any mistakes along the way. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]

III. Fully write out the analysis after the 2nd QC Check. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]

IV. Receive the final QC Check when the written work has been looked over. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]

V. Correct any obvious grammar-prose mistakes before handing it to GP. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]

VI. Receive two GP Checks, and have this analysis on-site. [[B][COLOR="Yellow"]✓[/COLOR][/B]]
Dunsparce

3/3: | tennisace | EBeast | Treecko |
2/2: | sirndpt | GatoDelFuego |

[Overview]
  • Not that amazing of a Pokemon from first glance.
  • Mediocre offensive stat; its defensive stats are decent, however.
  • Seriously outclassed as a team supporter.
  • Can run a defensive ParaFlinch set thanks to Serene Grace and Coil, and underestimating its physical walling capabilities is a mistake.
  • Does pretty well walling special attacks as well.
  • Glare allows Dunsparce to cripple fast sweepers.
  • Has a recovery option in Roost, increasing its longevity.
  • Powerful offensive threats, namely CB Sawk, can break through Dunsparce easily.
  • Overlooked in the NU tier, but its niche can aid a team with proper support.

[SET]
name: ParaFlinch
move 1: Glare / Body Slam
move 2: Coil
move 3: Headbutt / Rock Slide
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • The only set Dunsparce should be running; Serene Grace allows Dunsparce to have a great niche with ParaFlinch.
  • Thanks to Coil, Roost, and viable defensive stats, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While it can't handle many special attackers, it makes for a pretty good physical wall; Even after a Swords Dance, a 252 Samurott can only 2HKO Dunsparce with Waterfall; two Coils usually does the trick in terms of bulk. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce, and in return, it can paralyze it.
  • The goal of this set is to paralyze it, then either let a teammate set up without fear of being outsped, or to continually flinch the opponent.
  • Glare is recommend for paralyzing the adversary. While its initial accuracy may be noticed, after a Coil, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to test your luck with Serene Grace, or simply have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, having a 60% chance to paralyze the foe.
  • Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall, as well as raising its offensive prowess.
  • While Headbutt is a STAB move, Rock Slide provides more coverage, so the choice is between that. Either way, they are both flinching moves that ties with the paraflinching strategy.
  • Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch, and maintaining its HP throughout the match.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Serene Grace is the staple to the set, as it allows Dunsparce to continually immobilize the opponent.
  • Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity.
  • Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights.
  • Bite is an option for the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still staying in the paraflinch theme.
  • Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses T-Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, it can hit Ground-types, something T-Wave cannot do.
  • Substitute is an option, as status cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.
  • Since Dunsparce's job is to spread paralysis to the adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott both are setup Pokemon that aren't very fast, so they'd appreciate slower opponents. Samurott can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't physically touch.
  • CB Golurk is a great partner as it likes outspeeding offensive Pokemon to destroy them and can beat Golem and Gigalith.
  • Toxic Spikes and Toxic bothers Dunsparce, as it slowly deprives it of HP. A cleric, such as Musharna and Miltank (the former can deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, while the latter can aid in paralysizing Pokemon as well) are great choices. A Rapid Spin user usually isn't necessary, but if Toxic Spikes are too much to handle, Wartortle and Armaldo are good choices; Wartortle can potentially burn an opponent with Scald, which makes Dunsparce more difficult to defeat.
  • Even with Special Defense investment, Dunsparce is still lacking in that department. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, it takes the physical attacks for them.
  • Ghost-types, such as Golurk and Misdreavus, bring grief to Dunsparce, as it can't scar them. Skuntank is a great counter to both of them (fearing Wow from Missy).

[Other Options]
  • While Dunsparce has only one viable set, there are also many other options that it can consider that requires more team support.
  • RestTalk set is viable with Coil and an attack move, but unless Dunsparce starts setting up, it can easily be beaten.
  • Aqua Tail is an alternative coverage move against Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon, but doesn't offer much beyond that.
  • A Curse + Gyro Ball combo is also a viable option, as it raises Dunsparce's Attack and Defense, while making Gyro Ball stronger by moving slower than its adversary.

[Checks and Counters]
  • With Coil, Dunsparce becomes increasingly difficult to defeat physically, so the best way to handle it is to get rid of it before it sets up.
  • Special attackers - Dunsparce's subpar Special Defense is a flaw to be taken advantage of. Kadabra, Gardevoir, and Shell Smash Gorebyss all can tear through Dunsparce. However, they must be careful of Glare, which will immobilize them.
  • Fighting-types and strong physical attackers, specifically Sawk, Gurdurr, and Swords Dance Armaldo, can handle Dunsparce.
  • Ghost-types, namely Golurk and Misdreavus, take very little damage from any of Dunsparce's attacks, and can either attack back, or status it.
  • The majority of physical walls, such as Gigalith, Golem, and Alomomola, can take any of Dunsparce's attacks and retaliate back.
  • Taunt users can prevent Dunsparce from using Glare and Coil; Misdreavus and Liepard are prime choices. Misdreavus also can wall any of Dunsparce's attacks, and is immune to its STAB moves.
  • Toxic is something that completely checkmates Dunsparce as it has no way of removing status by itself.
  • Pokemon that can potentially brush off paralysis, such as Shed Skin Dragonair and Roselia, can can set up on Dunsparce, or lay hazards, as its attacks isn't going to harm either of them. Offensive Roselia can get rid of Dunsparce as well.
  • Bulky Substitute users, such as Eelektross, can avoid the paralysis of Dunsparce, and set up behind the Sub. Eelektross in particular can also phaze Dunsparce out with Dragon Tail, preventing it from setting up. Serperior can do the same.
  • Tangela can wall Dunsparce, doesn't really mind taking a paralysis, and can use Leech Seed to slowly drain its HP, or use Sleep Powder to immobilize it.
  • If Dunsparce is statused itself, it can be rendered useless. WoW Misdreavus and Probopass can status Dunsparce, while taking little from any of its attacks.
  • If you can stop Dunsparce before it can ParaFlinch, then it won't be much of an issue to defeat. Most Pokemon are generally faster than it, but if not, having a Choice Scarf user can help you.

[Overview]

<p>Even when Dunsparce was first introduced, it was ignored and neglected. Now, Dunsparce has entered a new low in usage; it isn't recommended on any serious NU team, as there are many other Normal-types in the tier that can outclass Dunsparce in many aspects. The only reason Dunsparce should ever be looked upon is its access to Glare and its ability, Serene Grace, together granting it a niche with a high paraflinch chance. With that said, Dunsparce cannot just fit onto any team; serious support is needed for it to be of use.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A paraflinch set is the only thing Dunsparce should be running, as it takes advantage of its one niche, but it also relies on luck. Thanks to Coil, Roost, and its viable defenses, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While its Special Defense isn't great, it is enough to tank hits. To reach an acceptable level of bulk, two Coils are usually needed. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce; in return, it can paralyze Jynx. The goal of this set is to paralyze the opponent and either switch into a teammate to set up or continually flinch the opponent.</p>

<p>Glare is recommended in the first moveslot; while its initial accuracy might not be perfect, after a Coil boost, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, boasting a 60% chance to paralyze the foe. Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall aincreasingly its offensive prowess. Choosing which move to use in the third moveslot reflects on the choice of the first moveslot. If Body Slam is used, Rock Slide is recommended, as having two similar STAB moves of the same type generally isn't a good idea. If Glare is used, Headbutt is the move of choice. Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch and maintaining its HP throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Serene Grace is the key aspect to the set, as it allows Dunsparce to consistently immobilize the opponent. Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity. Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights. As for other move options, Bite can be used in the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still attaining the paraflinch strategy. Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses Thunder Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, but can hit Ground-types, something Thunder Wave cannot. Finally, Substitute is an option, as status completely cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.</p>

<p>Since Dunsparce's goal is to spread paralysis to your adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott and Choice Band Golurk aren't very fast, so they'll appreciate slower opponents. They can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't scar. Status conditions annoy Dunsparce, so clerics such as Musharna and Miltank are great choices; the former being able to deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, while the latter can heal statuses that are inflicted on Dunsparce while aiding in spreading paralysis to Pokemon. Poison-types such as Skuntank are good allies, as they can absorb the dreaded Toxic Spikes that Dunsparce despises. Even when it's fully invested in Special Defense, Dunsparce is still weak to special attacks. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them. Finally, Ghost-types such as Golurk and Misdreavus bring grief to Dunsparce, only fearing the rare Bite. Skuntank is a good counter to both of them, only fearing of Misdreavus's Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Dunsparce only has one viable set, it has many other options that require much more team support. A RestTalk set is viable with Coil, but unless Dunsparce can set up quickly, it will be easily defeated. Aqua Tail is an alternative coverage move against Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon, but it doesn't offer much beyond that. Finally, a combination of Curse and Gyro Ball is plausible, as it not only raises Dunsparce's Attack and Defense, but it makes Gyro Ball stronger by moving slower against its adversary.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dunsparce is in most cases very easy to defeat, but if it begins setting up with Coil or spreads paralysis to your team, it becomes increasingly difficult to defeat. Taunt users, specifically Misdreavus and Liepard, are prime choices to shut down Dunsparce. Pokemon that can potentially brush off paralysis, such as Shed Skin Dragonair, Gurdurr, and Roselia, can easily set up on Dunsparce. Substitute users such as Serperior and Eelektross can avoid Dunsparce's Glare and phaze it out with Dragon Tail before it can set up.</p>

<p>There is a plethora of Pokemon that can outright KO Dunsparce; most special attackers such as Gardevoir can tear through Dunsparce, but they must be wary of Glare. Fighting-types and strong physical attackers, such as Sawk and Swords Dance Armaldo, can handle Dunsparce easily.</p>

<p>Ironically, if Dunsparce is statused, it is rendered useless. Misdreavus and Probopass can status Dunsparce and take very little from its attacks. Toxic also completely checkmates Dunsparce, as it has no way to remove status by itself. Lastly, the majority of physical walls, such as Alomomola and Golem, can sponge any of Dunsparce's attacks.</p>

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, this is now ready to be looked at through QC! I have to say: I have rarely used Dunsparce prior to making this analysis, so learning and using it was difficult. Anyways, it's in Skeleton form. :)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I haven't been doing this for a while but I was thinking that usually having two slashed slots means that first slashes go together and the second slashes go together?

Well, the main thing is, I think having no STAB moves on something as weak as dunsparce is shooting yourself in the foot. As for Ghost-types that are immune to Normal, you do not want to stay in on Misdreavus or Golurk, as Rock Slide isn't doing much to either of them anyways. Unless Acrofloon is wildly popular, Rock Slide as its only attacking option isn't what I'd go for. And it's pointless to try and dent Regirock or Golem with a non-STAB Rock Slide, either. And that bonus power means that you have to flinch less times to kill that same threat.

Those two are my main reasons for giving Headbutt the first slash over Rock Slide. At the very least mention how 2 - normal moves is dumb (glare at least does something to that golurk / missy), and having no STAB is also dumb. But others can chime in / disagree because I haven't played for much and the dumb ladder really isn't helping me get back into the meta when I'm facing Pidgeots and Shuckles.

Governess

@ Amarillo, you make some very valid points. And yeah, I didn't realize the the slashes go with each other, so switching Headbutt for the first slash makes sense. If anyone has an argument with that, feel free to mention it, but it makes sense in my head. Thank you, Amarillo. :)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

yams covered all my problems

you don't need to list that many things that check and counter dunsparce i don't think, but i'll have to look at it again when you do the full writeup

i also wouldn't mention special based sets in AC because that's a whole other level of terrible in addition to the level of terrible that is dunsparce

Governess

Thank you, tennisace. I removed all of the specially based sets in OO. Also, I probably won't mention ALL of the Pokemon in the C&C; just wanted to display how many Pokemon can beat Dunsparce, I'll remove a few once I write it. Implemented check. :]

Governess

My apologies for double posting, but bumping this; is there anything else that needs to be added / fixed to it?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dunsparce sweeps FLCL and prevented him from breaking 1500 on PO. :''(

[Set Comments]
I want you to elaborate more for the second point. You say that even after a Swords Dance Samurott can only 2HKO Dunsparce, but the Mystic Water set OHKOes Dunsparce and the Lum Berry set won't be paralyzed by Glare/Body Slam. You should be more specific about how many Coils it takes for Dunsparce to start tanking physical hits well.

When talking about Glare, say that it paralyzes any Pokemon (excluding Limber Stunfisk but lol), including Ghost-type Pokemon.

[Additional Comment]
I would pick better partners for AC. SubBU Braviary and SD Samurott aren't supposed to go fast. Braviary uses its bulk to sweep through and Samurott has Aqua Jet for faster things. You can keep Samurott but change the mention from SD to Mixed Samu. Add CB Golurk as a partner as it likes outspeeding offensive Pokemon to destroy them and can beat Golem and Gigalith.

[Checks and Counters]
Lickilicky is not a physical wall, remove it from the list. Add Toxic here as something that completely checkmates Dunsparce as it has no way of removing status by itself.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Governess

Thank you, EBeast. I'm busy atm, so I'll implement this check tomorrow; itll be written soon.

EDIT: Implemented check, will write this soon.

Governess

My apologies for double posting, but I have written up Dunsparce; it's ready for one last look at from QC! :)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Haven't done too much of this - I do realize that the standards for fluff and things were changed quite a bit, so do whatever you please with it and i dont think im even qc anymore lol

Back in the GSC era, Dunsparce was deemed worthy of usage with a variety of options to choose from
I'd doubt that it was the case, it's just an average normal type, nothing more than a mid- UU tier normal type. You can't be talking about OU because it's completely outclassed by Snorlax / P2 / Ursaring. If you're talking about GSC UU, and say if it's a dominent threat in there, irrelevant. Don't particularly see a need for this, idk, you might go for a more relevant hook, dunno, like how it's a useless piece of thing other than serene grace since forever.

More of a nitpick thing but instead of 'Poison status conditions' you might simply say 'status conditions' because burn hurts it hard, and you can't flinch anything when Dunsparce paralyzed.

most special attackers, such as Gardevoir and Shell Smash Gorebyss, can tear through Dunsparce, but they must be wary of Glare
252 SpA Life Orb Gorebyss Surf vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dunsparce: 188-224 (46.53 - 55.44%) -- 14.84% chance to 2HKO.

You don't counter a Gorebyss on the switch-in, but 1v1 you have a high chance of beating it, or at least neutering its threat. Note that not everyone even runs Life Orb, in which case you can actually just switch it on the smash and it won't even die to a hit.

I ctrl-f'ed "luck" and the only part I found was about Body Slam paralysis. Possibly you might want to mention how luck-based this whole paraflinch is, and how unreliable the thing can be if it doesn't actually end up flinching things because you'll take a lot of damage in the process of spreading paralysis.

yellow is a cute color; make amarillo's changes

"While it can't handle special attackers" is sort of deceptive, since it is running max SpDef and its SpDef is only 5 base points from being the same as its Def. Rephrase this to reflect that, while its SpDef isn't great, it's not bad either. Also, it can't really tank a +2 Waterfall from Samurott:

252 +2 Atk Mystic Water Samurott (+Atk) Waterfall vs 252 HP/0 Def Dunsparce: 95.05% - 112.13% (68.75% chance to OHKO)

Go ahead and remove that completely.

Glare has 90% accuracy, which I wouldn't really call lackluster either.

Since the only hazard that really bothers Dunsparce is Toxic Spikes, I'd rather see a mention of Poison-types to absorb them, particularly Skuntank since it can handle Ghost-types, than I would a mention of spinners. They really aren't that necessary otherwise. In fact, you can cut the mention of Rapin Spin users and just throw a mention of Skuntank's ability to absorb Toxic Spikes when you talk about it in the AC.

Add Gurdurr to checks and counters, as it's super bulky and gets an attack boost from Guts when it's paralyzed.

Otherwise this is fine. Make these changes, and I'll give you a stamp~

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
amcheck

[Overview]

<p>Even when Dunsparce was first introduced, it was ignored and neglected. Now, Dunsparce has entered a new low of usage; it isn't recommended on any serious NU team, as there are many other Normal-types in the tier that outclasses Dunsparce in many aspects. The only reason Dunsparce should ever be looked upon is its adored move,its access to Glare, and its ability, Serene Grace; together granting it a niche with paraflinch. With that said, Dunsparce cannot fit on any team; serious team support is needed for it to be of use on the team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A paraflinch set is the only thing Dunsparce should be running, as it takes advantage of its one niche, but it also relies on luck. Thanks to Coil, Roost, and its viable defenses, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While its Special Defense isn't great, it is at an acceptable level to tank hits. That being said, it functions as a decent physical wall. To reach an acceptable level of bulk, two Coils are usually needed. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce; in return, it can paralyze Jynx. The goal of this set is to paralyze the opponent and either switch into a teammate to set up or continually flinch the opponent.</p>

<p>Glare is recommended in the first moveslot; while its initial accuracy might not be perfect, after a Coil boost, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, boasting a 60% chance to paralyze the foe. Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall and also increasinges its offensive prowess. Choosing which move to use in the third moveslot reflects on the choice of the first moveslot. If Body Slam is used, Rock Slide is recommended, as having two similar STAB moves of the same type generally isn't a good idea. If Glare is used, Headbutt is the move of choice. Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch and maintaining its HP throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Serene Grace is the key aspect to the set, as it allows Dunsparce to consistently immobilize the opponent. Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity. Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights. As for other move options, Bite can be used in the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still attaining the paraflinch strategy. Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses Thunder Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, it can hit Ground-types, something Thunder Wave cannot do. Finally, Substitute is an option, as status completely cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.</p>

<p>Since Dunsparce's goal is to spread paralysis to the adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott and Choice Band Golurk aren't very fast, so they'll appreciate slower opponents. They can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't scar. Status conditions annoy Dunsparce, as it can easily cripple Dunsparce. A cleric, such as Musharna and Miltank, are great choices; the former being able to deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, and the latter can heal statuses that are inflicted on Dunsparce while aiding in spreading paralysis to Pokemon. Poison-types such as Skuntank is a good partner, as it can absorb the dreaded Toxic Spikes that Dunsparce despises. Even when it's fully invested in Special Defense, Dunsparce is still weak to special attacks. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them. Finally, Ghost-types such as Golurk and Misdreavus bring grief to Dunsparce, only fearing the rare Bite. Skuntank is a great counter to both of them, who only worries of Midreavus's Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Dunsparce only has one viable set, it has many other options that require much more team support. A RestTalk set is viable with Coil, but unless Dunsparce can set up quickly, it will be easily defeated. Aqua Tail is an alternative coverage move against Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon, but it doesn't offer much beyond that. Finally, a combination of Curse and Gyro Ball is plausible, as it not only raises Dunsparce's Attack and Defense, but it makes Gyro Ball stronger by moving slower against its adversary.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dunsparce is in most cases very easy to defeat, but if it begins setting up with Coil or spreads paralysis to your team, it becomes increasingly difficult to defeat it. Taunt users, specifically Misdreavus and Liepard, are prime choices to shut down Dunsparce. Pokemon that can potentially brush off paralysis, such as Shed Skin Dragonair, Gurdurr, and Roselia, can easily set up on Dunsparce. Substitute users such as Serperior and Eelektross can avoid Dunsparce's Glare and phaze it out with Dragon Tail before it can set up.</p>

<p>There is a plethora of Pokemon who can outright KO Dunsparce; most special attackers such as Gardevoir can tear through Dunsparce, but they must be wary of Glare. Fighting-types and strong physical attackers, such as Sawk and Swords Dance Armaldo, can handle Dunsparce.</p>

<p>Ironically, if Dunsparce is statused, it can be rendered useless. Misdreavus and Probopass can status Dunsparce and take very little from its attacks. Toxic is also something that completely checkmates Dunsparce, as it has no way to remove status by itself. Lastly, the majority of physical walls, such as Alomomola and Golem, can sponge any of Dunsparce's attacks.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Even when Dunsparce was first introduced, it was ignored and neglected. Now, Dunsparce has entered a new low of usage; it isn't recommended on any serious NU team, as there are many other Normal-types in the tier that outclass Dunsparce in many aspects. The only reason Dunsparce should ever be looked upon is its its access to Glare, and its ability, Serene Grace; together granting it a niche with paraflinch. With that said, Dunsparce cannot fit on any team; serious team support is needed for it to be of use on the team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A paraflinch set is the only thing Dunsparce should be running, as it takes advantage of its one niche, but it also relies on luck. Thanks to Coil, Roost, and its viable defenses, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While its Special Defense isn't great, it is at an acceptable level to tank hits. That being said, it functions as a decent physical wall. To reach an acceptable level of bulk, two Coils are usually needed. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce; in return, it can paralyze Jynx. The goal of this set is to paralyze the opponent and either switch into a teammate to set up or continually flinch the opponent.</p>

<p>Glare is recommended in the first moveslot; while its initial accuracy might not be perfect, after a Coil boost, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, boasting a 60% chance to paralyze the foe. Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall and also increases its offensive prowess. Choosing which move to use in the third moveslot reflects on the choice of the first moveslot. If Body Slam is used, Rock Slide is recommended, as having two similar STAB moves of the same type generally isn't a good idea. If Glare is used, Headbutt is the move of choice. Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch and maintaining its HP throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Serene Grace is the key aspect of the set, as it allows Dunsparce to consistently immobilize the opponent. Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity. Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights. As for other move options, Bite can be used in the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still attaining the paraflinch strategy. Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses Thunder Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, it can hit Ground-types, something Thunder Wave cannot do. Finally, Substitute is an option, as status completely cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.</p>

<p>Since Dunsparce's goal is to spread paralysis to the adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott and Choice Band Golurk aren't very fast, so they'll appreciate slower opponents. They can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't scar. Status conditions annoy Dunsparce, as it can easily cripple Dunsparce. A cleric, such as Musharna and Miltank, are great choices; the former being able to deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, and the latter can heal statuses that are inflicted on Dunsparce while aiding in spreading paralysis to Pokemon. Poison-types such as Skuntank is a good partner, as it can absorb the dreaded Toxic Spikes that Dunsparce despises. Even when it's fully invested in Special Defense, Dunsparce is still weak to special attacks. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them. Finally, Ghost-types such as Golurk and Misdreavus bring grief to Dunsparce, only fearing the rare Bite. Skuntank is a great counter to both of them, who only worries of Midreavus's Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dunsparce is in most cases very easy to defeat, but if it begins setting up with Coil or spreads paralysis to your team, it becomes increasingly difficult to defeat it. Taunt users, specifically Misdreavus and Liepard, are prime choices to shut down Dunsparce. Pokemon that can potentially brush off paralysis, such as Shed Skin Dragonair, Gurdurr, and Roselia, can easily set up on Dunsparce. Substitute users such as Serperior and Eelektross can avoid Dunsparce's Glare and phaze it out with Dragon Tail before it can set up.</p>

<p>There is a plethora of Pokemon who can outright KO Dunsparce; most special attackers such as Gardevoir can tear through Dunsparce, but they must be wary of Glare. Fighting-types and strong physical attackers, such as Sawk and Swords Dance Armaldo, can handle Dunsparce.</p>

<p>Ironically, if Dunsparce is statused, it can be rendered useless. Misdreavus and Probopass can status Dunsparce and take very little from its attacks. Toxic is also something that completely checkmates Dunsparce, as it has no way to remove status by itself. Lastly, the majority of physical walls, such as Alomomola and Golem, can sponge any of Dunsparce's attacks.</p>

Hi Governess! Cool analysis.

I made an amcheck:

Additions
Deletions
Comments
[Overview]

<p>Even when Dunsparce was first introduced, it was ignored and neglected. Now, Dunsparce has entered a new low of in usage; it isn't recommended on any serious NU team, as there are many other Normal-types in the tier that can outclass Dunsparce in many aspects. The only reason Dunsparce should ever be looked upon is its access to Glare, and its ability, Serene Grace;, together granting it a niche with paraflinch. Each side of a semicolon has to be an independent clause. With that said, Dunsparce cannot fit on any team; serious team support is needed for it to be of use on a the team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A paraflinch set is the only thing Dunsparce should be running, as it takes advantage of its one niche, but it also relies on luck. Thanks to Coil, Roost, and its viable defenses, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While its Special Defense isn't great, it is at an acceptable enough level to tank hits. This sentence is correct, I just feel that That being said, it functions as a decent physical wall. To reach an acceptable level of bulk, two Coils are usually needed. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce; in return, it can paralyze Jynx. The goal of this set is to paralyze the opponent and either switch into a teammate to set up or continually flinch the opponent.</p>

<p>Glare is recommended in the first moveslot; while its initial accuracy might not be perfect, after a Coil boost, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, boasting a 60% chance to paralyze the foe. Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall and increasesing its offensive prowess. Choosing which move to use in the third moveslot reflects on the choice of the first moveslot. If Body Slam is used, Rock Slide is recommended, as having two similar STAB moves of the same type generally isn't a good idea. If Glare is used, Headbutt is the move of choice. Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch and maintaining its HP throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Serene Grace is the key aspect to the set, as it allows Dunsparce to consistently immobilize the opponent. Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity. Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights. As for other move options, Bite can be used in the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still attaining the paraflinch strategy. Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses Thunder Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, but it can hit Ground-types, something Thunder Wave cannot do. In this instance, your used 'not only', so you have a contrary statement afterwards. You do this, but you need the 'but'. Finally, Substitute is an option, as status completely cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.</p>

<p>Since Dunsparce's goal is to spread paralysis to the your adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott and Choice Band Golurk aren't very fast, so they'll appreciate slower opponents. They can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't scar. Status conditions annoy Dunsparce, as it can easily cripple Dunsparce. A cleric, such as Musharna and Miltank, are great choices; the former being able to deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, and while the latter can heal statuses that are inflicted on Dunsparce while aiding in spreading paralysis to Pokemon. Due to the fact that you use two differenet actions ('being able to' and 'can heal') you can't use 'and'. 'While' works perfectly here. Poison-types such as Skuntank is are a good partners, as they it can absorb the dreaded Toxic Spikes that Dunsparce despises. Even when it's fully invested in Special Defense, Dunsparce is still weak to special attacks. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them. Finally, Ghost-types such as Golurk and Misdreavus bring grief to Dunsparce, only fearing the rare Bite. Skuntank is a great counter to both of them, who only worries of Midreavus's Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

Governess

Thank you, GCSChris; it was a very nice amcheck (lots of careless mistakes on my part ^^;) I implemented everything but 1 thing:

Your suggested change said:
Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them.
There is suppose to be a comma there, because it is separating the additional info (the three listed Pokemon) from the gist of the sentence.

Other than that, great job! I think this analysis is ready to be looked at by an official GP!

on phone so no fancy formatting

actually no you know what lemme try this

A cleric, such as Musharna and Miltank, are great choices;

Poison-types such as Skuntank are good partners, as it can

Skuntank is a great counter to both of them, who only worries of Midreavus's Will-O-Wisp.

(all in AC)

Governess, you should be able to spot/ fix the mistakes yourself! (feel free to VM if you'd like to double-check anyway, but just a heads up that I probably won't be able to get to it for a day or two.)

cbt and GCSChris, nice work~

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Governess

Ok, I think I found the errors in those three sentences (if not, feel free to point it out, wasn't completely sure about the first one; the other two I could spot it.

It only needs one more GP check to go on-site!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP is love, GP is life

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Even when Dunsparce was first introduced, it was ignored and neglected. Now, Dunsparce has entered a new low in usage; it isn't recommended on any serious NU team, as there are many other Normal-types in the tier that can outclass Dunsparce in many aspects. The only reason Dunsparce should ever be looked upon is its access to Glare, (RC) and its ability, Serene Grace, together granting it a niche with a high paraflinch chance. With that said, Dunsparce cannot just fit onto any team; serious team support is needed for it to be of use on a team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A paraflinch set is the only thing Dunsparce should be running, as it takes advantage of its one niche, but it also relies on luck. Thanks to Coil, Roost, and its viable defenses, Dunsparce can run a defensive set. While its Special Defense isn't great, it is enough to tank hits. That being said, it functions as a decent physical wall. To reach an acceptable level of bulk, two Coils are usually needed. Special attackers have some issues with it as well: Jynx can only 2HKO Dunsparce; in return, it can paralyze Jynx. The goal of this set is to paralyze the opponent and either switch into a teammate to set up or continually flinch the opponent.</p>

<p>Glare is recommended in the first moveslot; while its initial accuracy might not be perfect, after a Coil boost, Glare is a dangerous move, as it can paralyze any Pokemon, even Ground-types. However, if you want to have a STAB move for Dunsparce, Body Slam can be used, boasting a 60% chance to paralyze the foe. Coil is an important move to the set as well, as it allows Dunsparce to be an decent physical wall aincreasingly its offensive prowess. Choosing which move to use in the third moveslot reflects on the choice of the first moveslot. If Body Slam is used, Rock Slide is recommended, as having two similar STAB moves of the same type generally isn't a good idea. If Glare is used, Headbutt is the move of choice. Roost is the final move of the set, healing Dunsparce in a pinch and maintaining its HP throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Serene Grace is the key aspect to the set, as it allows Dunsparce to consistently immobilize the opponent. Leftovers increases Dunsparce's longevity. Dunsparce runs a defensive EV spread so it can tank as much attacks as possible, rather than attacking. 252 Special Defense EVs help balance Dunsparce's defenses after a Coil boost, and a Careful nature maximizes it, raising it to acceptable heights. As for other move options, Bite can be used in the third moveslot to deal with Ghost-types while still attaining the paraflinch strategy. Thunder Wave can be used in the first moveslot for a reliable 100% accuracy, unlike Glare. However, after a Coil, Glare outclasses Thunder Wave, as it not only has reliable accuracy, but can hit Ground-types, something Thunder Wave cannot do. Finally, Substitute is an option, as status completely cripples Dunsparce. It works well with Roost, allowing Dunsparce to survive much longer. However, finding a moveslot for it can be difficult.</p>

<p>Since Dunsparce's goal is to spread paralysis to your adversary, Pokemon that appreciate slower opponents are good partners to Dunsparce. Mixed Samurott and Choice Band Golurk aren't very fast, so they'll appreciate slower opponents. They can also deal with Golem and Gigalith, two Pokemon Dunsparce can't scar. Status conditions annoy Dunsparce, as it can easily cripple Dunsparce. so clerics such as Musharna and Miltank are great choices; the former being able to deal with Tangela, a Pokemon that walls Dunsparce, while the latter can heal statuses that are inflicted on Dunsparce while aiding in spreading paralysis to Pokemon. Poison-types such as Skuntank are good allies, (AC) as it they can absorb the dreaded Toxic Spikes that Dunsparce despises. Even when it's fully invested in Special Defense, Dunsparce is still weak to special attacks. Special walls, such as Gardevoir, Regice, and Flareon, can take the special attacks for Dunsparce; in return, Dunsparce takes the physical attacks for them. Finally, Ghost-types such as Golurk and Misdreavus bring grief to Dunsparce, only fearing the rare Bite. Skuntank is a good counter to both of them, only fearing of Misdreavus's Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dunsparce is in most cases very easy to defeat, but if it begins setting up with Coil or spreads paralysis to your team, it becomes increasingly difficult to defeat. Taunt users, specifically Misdreavus and Liepard, are prime choices to shut down Dunsparce. Pokemon that can potentially brush off paralysis, such as Shed Skin Dragonair, Gurdurr, and Roselia, can easily set up on Dunsparce. Substitute users such as Serperior and Eelektross can avoid Dunsparce's Glare and phaze it out with Dragon Tail before it can set up.</p>

<p>There is a plethora of Pokemon who that can outright KO Dunsparce; most special attackers such as Gardevoir can tear through Dunsparce, but they must be wary of Glare. Fighting-types and strong physical attackers, such as Sawk and Swords Dance Armaldo, can handle Dunsparce easily.</p>

<p>Ironically, if Dunsparce is statused, it can be is rendered useless. Misdreavus and Probopass can status Dunsparce and take very little from its attacks. Toxic is also something that completely checkmates Dunsparce, as it has no way to remove status by itself. Lastly, the majority of physical walls, such as Alomomola and Golem, can sponge any of Dunsparce's attacks.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Governess

Thank you, Gato. If nothing else needs to be fixed, this analysis is ready to go on-site! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)