Dunsparce (QC: 0/2)

[Overview]

<p>Dunsparce is a fairly weak Pokemon, and should be left alone due to it's below-average stats and lack of effectiveness. It suffers competition from Bouffalant and Stoutland. However, if you like this Pokemon, or if you favor the mini gimmicks that Dunsparce provides, this Pokemon can be a decent choice. </p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Return / Body Slam
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Protect
item: Chople Berry
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This goal of this set is to maximize Dunsparce's Attack and Speed in order to last longer on the battlefield. Body Slam is a decent STAB normal move. Rock Slide is good, however since Dunsparce is fairly slow, it's only really effective in Trick Room. Zen Headbutt is good for dealing with Fighting Pokemon that give Dunsparce trouble. The choice between Protect and Thunder Wave can be a tough one.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Adamant nature is ideal for Dunsparce due to it's low speed. Chople Berry is good for lasting longer against a Super-Effective fighting move, which threatens Dunsparce the most. One thing that makes Dunsparce decent, is his ability: Serene Grace, an ability that adds the possibility of additional effects. Also, his ability makes Thunder Wave more of a viable choice.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The other options tag lists other things that the Pokemon can do. This includes, but is not limited to, general purpose changes that can be made to any set, such as using a different ability; moves that aren't really recommended and why; and sets that are decent if used properly, but not successful enough to warrant a full analysis.</p>

<p>You can mess around with Dunsparce's move slots quite a bit. It is possible to have Thunder Wave and Protect, however you would be missing an attack move. Additionally, Body Slam could be an alternate choice for a chance of Paralysis, as well as some steady damage. If you are looking for a different item to use with Dunsparce, the best choice is a Sitrus Berry to restore HP if there are a lack of opposing fighting-type attacks. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dunsparce is threatened by common Pokemon such as Terrakion, Hitmontop, and especially Conkelldurr. He works fine in Trick Room, but isn't effective against full fledged weather teams. Also, Dunsparce is vulnerable against the majority of Substitute users if he isn't paired with a strong attacking lead. His greatest asset is his ability, which should be used to your advantage.</p>

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Headbutt is only good when looking for a flinch. With Dunsparce's terrible Speed stat, it's only viable in Trick Room. I'd go with Return instead.

Rock Slide > EQ for Serene Grace, but again, too slow.

Lol Bite.

What about a Trick Room set along the lines of this:

[SET]
name: Trick Room Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Earthquake / Rock Slide
move 3: Bite / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Protect / Thunder Wave
item: Chople Berry / Focus Sash
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

Same Moveset, just different evs, ivs, and nature, also added Focus Sash due to frailness.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wondering why you would want Thunder Wave on a Trick Room team.

Rock Slide > EQ still.
Too lazy to run damage calcs, but I don't think Bite does any significant damage at all, and you definitely don't want to rely on the flinch rate to win you games.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'd even consider putting body slam on the main set to try and paralyze some pokemon
dunsparce isn't strong at all so its best use is to just abuse serene grace as much as possible imo

Wondering why you would want Thunder Wave on a Trick Room team.

Rock Slide > EQ still.
Too lazy to run damage calcs, but I don't think Bite does any significant damage at all, and you definitely don't want to rely on the flinch rate to win you games.
I took off Earthquake and Thunder Wave.

Thank you for your corrections! :)

i'd even consider putting body slam on the main set to try and paralyze some pokemon
dunsparce isn't strong at all so its best use is to just abuse serene grace as much as possible imo
Dunsparce isn't that strong, you're right.

I also added Body Slam.

I would consider listing Rock Slide as Dunsparce's primary attack. The only reason to bother with Dunsparce in VGC is that gloriously high ~79% chance to flinch at least one of your opponents. So Dunsparce can actually move before opponents can attack him, I'd recommend suggesting partners that can induce Tailwind or Trick Room while still being able to attack and take advantage of the flinch support. Pokemon like Zapdos, Latios, and Reuniclus come to mind.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As a not TR Pokemon I think Body Slam is better than Return.

Your comments are also still all about Headbutt and Earthquake, but I'm assuming you realize that.

As a not TR Pokemon I think Body Slam is better than Return.

Your comments are also still all about Headbutt and Earthquake, but I'm assuming you realize that.
I just edited the comments about the old set.

Thank you! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)