1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Duo★Offensive Strategy!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by NoahStar, Jan 1, 2013.

1. NoahStar

NoahStar

Introduction★
    Hello! My name is Noah. I've been a huge fan of competitive battling and Smogon University for about 6 and a half years now! I've never really bothered to make a forum account because I never really needed to post in the forums until now. This team has a pretty nice story behind it.

I am currently playing a Pokemon MMO and am one of the best battlers on the game (nobody really knows about comp battling and the metagame in an MMO is drastically different than standard). After about 6 months of searching, I was finally able to find a Gible and train it into a very fine Garchomp--my favorite Pokemon. My goal right now is to make the perfect team to complement Garchomp's amazing typing and offensive prowess. Since I always use the battle simulators to test out my in-game team, I figured I might as well try to make a competitive team centered around Garchomp as well.

The basis of my team actually comes from when Salamence was banned to Ubers a few years ago. I remembered reading his new analysis in the uber section and something really caught my attention. Salamence and Rayquaza made an excellent offensive core; not in the fact that they were of different types and could get the most coverage, but because they shared the perfect offensive typing and could work in tandem to completely decimate teams!

I wanted to try this for myself and see what would make a great offensive partner with Garchomp.

The Team
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Teambuilding
    The Team
    [​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Substitute

My main Pokemon and the center of the team. After receiving the Shell Smash pass from Smeargle, Garchomp can plow giant holes in teams so Salamence can clean up in the endgame. Thanks to the BW sleep mechanics, I'm almost always able to get the pass and put up a sub before my opponent wakes up. If I can keep the sub up, Garchomp can actually just sweep the team by himself. I have yet to see anybody pass SS to a Garchomp and, evidently, neither has anyone else. This set has taken a bunch of people by surprise and usually they are not prepared to face a +2 Garchomp behind a sub who also has +2 in speed. Its like fighting a SD set and a scarf-chomp set all in one!

[​IMG]
    Forretress @ Red Card
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Forretress gives me entry hazard support as well as spin support. Gyro Ball hurts a lot of ice types that I need off the field before I can start my sweep with Garchomp or Salamence. I use Red Card over Leftovers or Shed Shell because my team is slightly weak to set up sweepers. With Red Card, I can phaze out these set up sweepers while laying down entry hazards so they'll have a hard time coming back in to set up.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

Rotom-W helps my team tremendously by getting rid of the Pokemon that Garchomp and Salamence can't take down--namely physical walls. With a Choice Specs, Hydro Pump 2HKO's specially defensive Scizor, OHKO's Hippowdon, and OHKO's Tyranitar after rocks. Volt Switch can OHKO-2HKO all Politoed, Skarm (after rocks), Tentacruel, Jellicent, Tornadus-T, and Slowbro. Trick wrecks Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. HP Ice takes care of opposing dragons that I don't feel comfortable trying to take on with Garchomp.

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Roost

Now that Genesect is banned from OU, Scizor finally has a chance to shine again as the top bug/steel. Scizor has one main job: get rid of all Mamoswine/Kyurem/other less important ice types. With a specially defensive set, Scizor can survive a Hidden Power Fire from non-specs variants of the Lati twins and hit back with Bug Bite. He can also take a surf from Politoed and repeated Draco Meteors from Latios/Latias. Scizor is also my go-to guy when dealing with Terrakion as it can really give my team problems.

[​IMG]
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 Spd / 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Spore
    - Baton Pass
    - Ingrain

This poor guy is really underrated. Yes it is hard to pass Shell Smash in today's meta but its definitely justifiable once Garchomp gets the boosts. I can generally come in on a wall or something non-threatening and use SS while they bring me down to my sash then use Spore. At this point there is a ton of pressure on my opponent. They can stay in and try to wake up while I pass to Garchomp and then risk letting me get a free sub or switch to something else that will still have to take a +2 Outrage. Ingrain is really only so Skarmory and Hippodwon can't phaze out Garchomp. In emergency situations, I can even SS pass to Rotom-W who can then fire off +2 specs Hydro Pumps which OHKO everything that doesn't resist it. It goes without saying that Smeargle is very crucial to my strategy.

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
    Lonely Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Claw

It goes without saying that Salamence is the best user of Moxie and a fantastic endgame cleaner. Once Garchomp has done its job of weakening my opponents' teams Salamence can come and and finish them off. Usually by the time this guy comes in, the opponent only has 2-3 weakened Pokemon left. I can then pick these guys off with Outrage. Salamence really does make an excellent partner with Garchomp!

Conclusion:
    While this team is pretty good, I have found that I still have problems with Mamoswine if the opponent keeps him away until late-game. I also have problems with Technician Breloom leads as I never lead with Salamence of Garchomp--the only 2 Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO it.

I am honestly pretty proud of this team. I finally found 2 Pokemon that can work in tandem to pull off the perfect dual-sweep! I will continue to test how this team does both on Pokemon Showdown! and on the MMO I am playing. If you have any suggestions or comments I would love to hear them! Thanks and wish me luck!★
  2. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi,
    your team is cool, although it seems Rain Teams are really a nightmare for you. None of your pokemon can take boosted Water attacks: both Salamence and Rotom-W take 75%+ from a SpecsToed Hydro Pump, and both are unable to KO back a healthy Toed (Volt Switch does so only 6% of the times if Rocks are not on the field, which is common if Toed leads); Keldeo only makes the thing worse. Smeargle could be used to gain an early advantage against them, however you always risk a prediction on Spore, and if they carry Specs RestTalk Sleep Talk Tornadus-T and switch into Spore, that's a very bad piece of news for you. Furthermore, your offensive core is stopped by some pokes commonly used in Rain teams: Bronzong takes nothing from Salamence in Rain, and even +2 LO Garchomp is unable to OHKO with anything, and even Ferrothorn only has a measly 12.5% chance to be OHKO'd after SR by +2 Chomp (both can obviously hit extremely hard back with Gyro Ball or HP Ice in Zong's case).

Now, your team has a very clear game plan, and I don't feel changing too much of it would be beneficial to its success; the only thing I really think it's necessary to do is to change Rotom-W into a Specially Defensive version. SpD Rotom-W can absorb Tornadus-T somewhat, a thing that Specs can't really do, and can take Hydro Pumps much better than your actual version. You say than your Rotom is useful to remove physical walls, but even a SpD version is a bitch for almost all of them: Ferrothorn is burned and then Volt Switched out, Skarmory, Donphan, Hippowdon are hit SE by some attack (and don't appreciate burns), and if you use a ChestoRest set, you can even ignore their Scalds / Toxics and recover to full in one single turn. I do agree that this doesn't immediately eliminate walls as Specs does, but it gives you better resilience against common threats and doesn't fare that bad even in its original role, so it seems like a very good change to me.

Rotom-W (open)
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
    Calm | 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest

Hope my rate is helpful somewhat. Good luck!
  3. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

(sorry for my english)
    Hi, your team is good. However, I see a little 'weak teams with Tornadus-T especially, against which little can be done.
    I would suggest to put Rotom-W Sdefense with this Evs Spread 252 HP / 168 Sdef / 84 Def with Leftovers, Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave to overcome this problem. This Rotom-W is resistant both by special side than on a physical
    Also I would try on Garchomp Dragon Claw> Outrage to not just stand on a move
  4. Intergalactic

Intergalactic

Hello there, NoahStar.

I find myself in agreement with ganj4lF on the points he raises, but I would also like to add that, even with the change in Rotom-W set, you still face a huge threat from Drought teams, with the common coverage moves used on them - Fire-types, Grass-types and Ice-types - hitting all but one of your Pokémon for super effective damage - and let's be honest, Smeargle isn't going to be standing up against that on the entire team's behalf. As it stands right now, your team faces a 6-0 at the hands of anybody using a Victreebel, let alone the rest of their team.

With the two Steel-types you already have, it's a balanced team, definitely, but I do have a suggestion that patches up your large Drought weakness amazingly well while still keeping the synergy you have, as well as the offensive presence - I suggest Offensive Heatran > Scizor.

While you may not take to the idea of replacing Scizor, Heatran works fantastically well with the rest of your team, taking all of the types that hit you for huge damage - Fire-type for Forretress, Ice-type for Garchomp and Salamence - with ease, taking little-to-no damage itself. Beyond that, it can hit back well with its coverage moves, and easily take on most threats commonly seen on Drought teams.

In addition to that, the only other change I can advise - if the Heatran is accepted - would be Hidden Power Ice > Stealth Rock on Forretress (2 Spd IVs give a Hidden Power of Ice, Base 70) - fantastic for catching Garchomps and the like by surprise. As well as Leftovers > Red Card for the recovery that it really needs to be effective. Forcing the opponent out may seem good at first, but with no way of recovering lost HP, it may not stick around for as long as you need.

Congratulations with the success, it's nice to see Baton Pass still being used well in teams, good luck with the team, and I hope I helped in some way.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Air Balloon | Flash Fire
    Timid | 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd | 2 Atk / 30 Def
    Fire Blast | Earth Power | Hidden Power Ice | Stealth Rock

[​IMG]
    Forretress @ Leftovers | Sturdy
    Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef | 2 Spd
    Gyro Ball | Hidden Power Ice | Spikes | Rapid Spin
  5. NoahStar

NoahStar

Thank you so much for the feedback so far. I will definitely try using a specially defensive Rotom-W instead of a specs set because Ganj4lf has made a very good point.

I am very weary about switching out Scizor for Heatran only because once the Air Balloon is gone, my team has will lose a check to Mamoswine which is very crucial to my sweep. Although I do love using Balloon Heatran, the Earthquakes and Superpowers from Mamoswine scare me. Heatran would also make me a bit weaker to Breloom and Terrakion and force me to rely on bringing out Salamence or Garchomp out too early.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)