Durant (Analysis)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/632.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Despite Durant's nonthreatening appearance, it is actually a very potent sweeper. With the useful Bug / Steel typing, a great 109 base Speed, and an impressive base 109 Attack, made even more impressive by Hustle, Durant has many fantastic offensive merits. However, Durant is not without flaws—only acceptable physical bulk and abysmal special bulk make it difficult to set up consistently. Hustle's power boost is invaluable, but the accuracy drop the ability brings can cost games. Despite these flaws, Durant is a great sweeper capable of destroying unprepared teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Hone Claws
move 1: Hone Claws
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: Iron Head
item: Life Orb
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hone Claws is a natural boosting move for Durant to use, further boosting its power while compensating for Hustle's drop in accuracy. With only one turn of setup, Durant reaches a massive 713 Attack, which, coupled with its nice base 109 Speed, allows it to sweep teams. X-Scissor is Durant's primary STAB move and packs reliable power and accuracy (as reliable as you can get with Hustle). Rock Slide provides good coverage against Flying-types. Stone Edge can be used, but Rock Slide is generally preferred since it achieves the necessary KOs with better accuracy. While this is a set where one would certainly like to have a Ground- or Fighting-type attack to cover Steel-types, Durant's shallow movepool comes up short. The best one can do is pack Iron Head, which at least gets a STAB boost. Because Durant is walled by Steel-types, they should be removed before attempting a sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature with a standard 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread gives Durant maximum sweeping potential, and allows it to outspeed key threats such as Victini and Zapdos. Thunder Fang and Baton Pass are usable in the last slot over Iron Head, but the former cannot OHKO the bulky Water-types it would be used against and the latter has very situational uses.</p>

<p>Durant enjoys having teammates who can take threatening attacks that it cannot handle. Deoxys-D and Chansey make great partners due to their phenomenal bulk, which allows them to absorb the special attacks Durant has trouble with while supporting the team with hazards. Rotom-H can defeat many of Durant's counters, including Gligar and Suicune, with the correct move, while Magneton and Dugtrio can be used to trap and kill opposing Steel-types. Flash Fire Pokemon, including Arcanine and Houndoom, can come into the common Fire-type attacks aimed at Durant, picking up a boost to their own Fire-type attacks to potentially start a sweep.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: X-Scissor
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Thunder Fang
item: Choice Band
ability: Hustle

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set forgoes the use of a boosting move for immediate power. With a Choice Band, Durant can 2HKO a good portion of the metagame without a turn of setup. X-Scissor and Iron Head are the primary STAB attacks, hitting many pokemon hard. Rock Slide is used to hit Flying-type Pokemon, such as Zapdos, while Thunder Fang is Durant's best move against bulky Water-types. While this set hits very hard, one should be wary it does nothing to alleviate Hustle's accuracy drop.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Baton Pass may be used over Thunder Fang to allow Durant to scout the opponent switch-ins, but the ability to 2HKO Suicune after Stealth Rock is quite useful. Entry hazard support is appreciated to make sure bulky opponents such as Chansey, Milotic, and Suicune are 2HKOed. Bulky teammates such as Deoxys-D and Chansey can be used to set up hazards, while absorbing special onslaughts aimed at Durant. Flash Fire Pokemon such as Arcanine and Houndoom are useful to cover up Durant's terrible quadruple weakness to Fire-typed moves.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Durant has a small movepool, so it does not have many other options. Its only way of dealing with Steel-types is Dig, which is essentially rendered useless due to the turn it takes to dig (telegraphing its use to the opponent), and its ineffectiveness against the many Flying-types and Levitate users. A pure Baton Pass set is possible with Agility or Hone Claws, but UU has many other candidates for Baton Passing such as Gorebyss and Mew, who have better boosting moves and superior bulk and reliability. A Swarm set abusing Substitute is possible, but this strategy is not as effective without the release of the Salac or Liechi Berries.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The biggest counters to Durant are Steel-types. They wall everything Durant can possibly do and set up in front of it. Otherwise, Gligar can take just about everything Durant can throw at it due to its high defense. Finally, faster Pokemon—especially those holding a Choice Scarf—can take out Durant due to its negligible bulk.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Durant gets Truant as its Dream World ability. This ability is one of the worst in the entire game. A gimmick set using Truant and Entrainment can be used in tandem with Dugtrio, although it is not recommended.</p>

Durant's bulk isn't "above average" whatsoever, take out the mention of that.

Slowbro isn't a counter at all, +1 LO X-Scissor 2HKOs.

Capitalize all of the moves, as I am a Grammar Nazi and this annoys me

Though a complete gimmick, Traunt+Make friends is actually really useful to cause switches.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Durant's bulk isn't "above average" whatsoever, take out the mention of that. i said his attack is abovoe average. his physical bulk is decent with 112 base defense.

Slowbro isn't a counter at all, +1 LO X-Scissor 2HKOs. oh crap thanks. i meant milotic

Capitalize all of the moves, as I am a Grammar Nazi and this annoys me
ill do that
Though a complete gimmick, Traunt+Make friends is actually really useful to cause switches.traunt isnt even released yet, and even then i dont think gimmick sets can make the analysis.

This is not a huge deal, but some of your bulleted points are capitalized while others aren't. Please capitalize them. I ran an identical set to the first one you posted and it worked well for me. Good job.

breh

強いだね
there is literally so little to Durant that I think you've mentioned almost everything in terms of set options. Add metion of Agilipassing and that's all that there is left, lol (oh and also gimmick Endure/Substitute Swarm sets, if you want xD)

Registeel is also a hard counter to non-dig varieties. It 3HKOes with Seismic Toss; not sure how Iron Head fares. It also paralyzes it.

Uhh... partner with eviolite magneton?

prem

failed abortion
there is literally so little to Durant that I think you've mentioned almost everything in terms of set options. Add metion of Agilipassing and that's all that there is left, lol (oh and also gimmick Endure/Substitute Swarm sets, if you want xD)

Registeel is also a hard counter to non-dig varieties. It 3HKOes with Seismic Toss; not sure how Iron Head fares. It also paralyzes it.

Uhh... partner with eviolite magneton?
ya i was gonna name magneton as a partner, but i havent seen many steels in uu. dig is just never happening. but ill add in most of it

I think Baton Pass should be given a bigger mention and perhaps a slash as it allows Durant to escape Magneton, while at the same time possibly giving a teammate a Hone Claws boost. Pair that up with something with Flash Fire to take the inevitable HP Fire attack like Arcanine and you got a monster already at +1 with a +2 Flare Blitz. While there are "better" Baton Passers, in this case it allows Durant to escape a counter and provide a teammate with a boost to take out said counter.

prem

failed abortion
holy shit thanks... i missed that.

I think Baton Pass should be given a bigger mention and perhaps a slash as it allows Durant to escape Magneton, while at the same time possibly giving a teammate a Hone Claws boost. Pair that up with something with Flash Fire to take the inevitable HP Fire attack like Arcanine and you got a monster already at +1 with a +2 Flare Blitz. While there are "better" Baton Passers, in this case it allows Durant to escape a counter and provide a teammate with a boost to take out said counter.
let me test it out more. from my time on the ladder, i haven't seen a single magneton. flash fire team mates seem useful, especially hondoom, who can come on victini and +1 pursuit it to death. scarf victini is a problem anyway though

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Man Durant hits too hard...

Anyway, I'd add a Choice Band set:

ability: hustle

The counters section needs an update. Milotic is definitely NOT a counter because X-scissor 2HKOes. Mention Empoleon in its place as he checks Durant with moderate defense investment.

Thats all. Comply with my changes and I'll stamp this thread.

prem

failed abortion
Man Durant hits too hard...

Anyway, I'd add a Choice Band set:

The counters section needs an update. Milotic is definitely NOT a counter because X-scissor 2HKOes
. Mention Empoleon in its place as he checks Durant with moderate defense investment.

Thats all. Comply with my changes and I'll stamp this thread.
milotic might not be a counter, but it is a check, which i believe you add there. it really just has to take one hit and scald which will do massive damage as well as almost burn them. in the written up part i seperate who is a check from a counter, but miloitic is still applicable in the checks and counters section right? if not i will just remove mentions of it

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Milotic is a very weak check because it relies on a 30% burn chance to beat it. (and it cannot switch into X-scissor period) don't even bother mentioning Slowbro he takes too much from X-scissor. Please, just remove them both.

Edit: QC APPROVED (1/3)

prem

failed abortion
What would Staraptor even do? Rock Slide will hurt Staraptor.
if durant isnt faster than staraptor, this happens:

Staraptor@Choice Band (252 EVs, +Nature) Brave Bird vs Aianto (4/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 107.3 ~ 126.7% (277 ~ 327 HP)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good to me, though the first set needs a different name-- something more drab, not to mention that both of the sets are using Hustle.

"Hone Claws Sweeper" would be my suggestion.

Otherwise,

QC Approved 2/3

prem

failed abortion
cool at that time i had only one set, so it was applicable. but changed. only more to go!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just as an fyi for the future-- flavorful "nicknames" are only allowed when they are really common and standardized. Generally speaking, the name should simply be descriptive.

prem

failed abortion
Cool thanks. I'll get to writing this up probably by next tuesday due to finals and stuff, but i should have it done within a week or 2

breh

強いだね
Red is remove, blue is add, bold is commentary

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Despite Durant’s look unintimidating appearance, he is actually a very potent sweeper. With good Bug-Steel typing a useful dual type, great 109 base sSpeed, and hHustle boosted base 112 aAttack, Durant is a very potent sweeper. Not everything is going well for it thoughHowever, Durant is not without his flaws - ; with only acceptable physical (I'm not sure if you're supposed to capitalize physical/special) bulk and abysmal special bulk make it difficult to always set up. Due to hHustle, all of his moves accuracy all have an initial accuracy drop which can cost a game the accuracy of all of his moves has an initial drop, which can cost games. Despite these flaws, Durant is a great sweeper capable of completely destroying (Maybe use a word more colorful than destroying? That's pretty trivial, though.) unprepared teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Hone Claws
move 1: Hone Claws
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: Iron Head
item: Life Orb
ability: hHustle

[Set Comments]
<p>Due to Hustle’s accuracy drop, Hone Claws is a natural boosting move to useBecause it simultaneously restores the accuracy of Durant's moves and boosts its attck, Hone Claws is a natural boosting move for Durant to use. With only one turn of set up, Durant reaches a massive 713 attack, which, (make sure you don't miss that added comma to the left) coupled with his nice base 109 sSpeed allows him to sweep teams. X-Scissor is the Durant's primary STAB move too use, while and Rock Slide provides good coverage against fliers Flying-types. Stone Edge may be used, but because Rock Slides achieves all of the necessary killsKOes (may want to mention it also has terrible initial accuracy), it is a lesser option. Iron head is used as a secondary STAB due to Durant’s shallow movepool. It should be noted that this set is horrendously walled by steel types, and as such, should have all steel types removed before attempting a sweep Because Durant is handily walled by Steel-types, one should take care to remove them before attempting a sweep.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A Jolly nature along with a standard 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is used to gives Durant maximum sweeping potential, while outspeeding and allows it to outspeed key threats such as like Victini and Zapdos. Thunder Fang and Baton Pass may be used are usable in the last slot over Iron Head, but Thunder Fang cannot OHKO the bulky waters Water-types it would be used for, while and Baton Pass has a only situational use to switch out of counters.</p>

<p>As with every sweeper, Eentry hazard support is greatly appreciated as with every sweeper, turning and turns many 2HKOs into OHKOs and some 3HKOs into 2HKOs (this part seems excessive, but that's just me... it turns the part into a run-on). Deoxys-D and Chansey make great partners with due to their great phenomenal bulk and access to entry hazards,. The two can absorb absorbing hits Durant obviously cannot take, while and support the team with hazards. Rotom-H can defeat many of Durant’s counters, including Gligar and Suicune, with the correct move, while Magneton and Dugtrio can be used to trap and kill opposing sSteel-types (make sure not to miss that hypen). Flash Fire pPokemon, including Arcanine and Houndoom, (make sure not to miss the two commas in this sentence) can come into the common fFire-type attacks aimed at Durant at no cost.</p>

[Set Comments]

<p>This set forgoes the use of a boosting move for immediate power. With a Choice Band equipped, Durant can 2HKO a good portion of the metagame without a turn of set up. X-Scissor and Iron Head are the Durant's primary STAB attacks, hitting and hit the many pokemon hard like a truck. Rock Slide is used to hit fliers Flying-types, such as Zapdos, (make sure not to miss that comma) hard, while Thunder Fang is used to hit Suicune harder than anything else. While this set hits very hard, because of Hustle’s accuracy drop, attacks may miss, (don't miss the comma) which may be detrimental to a battle.</p>

[Additional comments]

<p>Baton Pass may be used over Thunder Fang as a scout to allow Durant to scout out the opponent, but the ability to 2HKO Suicune after Stealth Rocks is quite useful. Entry hazard support is appreciated to make sure many Kos KOs occur. Because of this, bulky teammates such as Deoxys-D and Chansey are usable can be used to set up hazards while absorbing onslaughts aimed at Durant. Flash Fire pokemon such as Arcanine and Houndoom are greatly appreciated useful in their ability to cover up Durant’s terrible x4 Fire weakness quadruple weakness to Fire-type moves.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Durant has a small movepool, so he does not have many other options. His only way of dealing with sSteel-types is Dig, which is easy to see coming and counter, making it a lesser option. A pure bBaton pPass set is possible with Agility or Hone Claws, but this is highly outclassed by Gorebyss and Mew, (comma) who can pass much better boosts. A sSwarm set abusing Substitute is possible, but Durant's main purpose is its high attack boosted by Hustle, and without Pinch berries, this strategy is not effective anyway but the strategy is not very effective without the release of the Salac and Liechi Berries.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The biggest counters to Durant is are sSteel-types. They wall everything Durant can possibly do and set up in front of it. After Steel types its main counter includes Otherwise, Gligar, who can take just about everything Durant can use throw at it with due to its high defense. Finally, faster pokemon Pokemon, or choice scarfed pokemon - especially those holding a Choice Scarf - can take out Durant due to its terrible defenses.</p>

[Dream World]

<p> Durant gets Truant as its Dream World Ability. This ability is fantastically terrible, and should never be used on a competitive set. A gimmick set using Truant and Make friends Entrainment can be used in tandem with Dugtrio, although it is not recommended.</p>

nice analysis.

remember to add hyphens when discussing typing and remember to capitalize all moves, pokemon, abilities, etc.

also, I might have missed a few of these: make sure that you're consistent with gender. either refer to durant as it, she, or he and stick to it throughout the entire analysis.

looking back, though, this is missing a set that has recently become popular: the ever annoying set of baton pass/substitute/agility/filler

basically, you pass it defence boosts and then nothing kills it; it gets more speed and can also run iron defence.

Before anyone checks this, make sure to fix all the English names; Specifically, Make Friends is now Entrainment.

prem

failed abortion
ok, added in Breludicolo's changes while fixing the entrainment mistake. i mixed up which one was japanese and which one was english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)