Durant (GP 2/2)

[pimg]662[/pimg]

Current Analysis

[Overview]

<p>Life is tough for Durant—it gets preyed upon by the NU Pokemon, Heatmor! On a more serious note, Durant struggles to distinguish itself from Scizor, which packs the same typing, higher Attack, an enhanced movepool, and greater overall bulk. However, Durant has a few things that set it apart from not only Scizor, but the rest of the tier as well. It gets access to Hustle, which boosts its Attack to one of the highest in the game. In addition, it sports a base Speed stat of 109, which allows it to just barely outpace Pokemon such as Infernape and Terrakion. Finally, while it has a somewhat shallow movepool, it is enough to cover many relevant threats in OU and 2HKO them all with the appropriate move after a +1 boost from Hone Claws.</p>

<p>Although Durant looks extremely difficult to stop, it has a number of flaws. Its Special Defense is downright awful, and it will almost never take a neutral special hit. While its Speed is good for outpacing some Pokemon, it finds itself barely outsped by many special attackers, including Latios, Gengar, and Starmie. Also, while Hustle is Durant's big selling point, the accuracy drop that comes with it can be fatal. It has Hone Claws to fix this, but this is difficult to set up with Durant's bad special bulk. Overall, Durant is a high-risk, high-reward Pokemon, and must be considered as such when being placed onto a team.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Thunder Fang
move 4: Hone Claws / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
evs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If Durant has any hope of competing in the OU environment, this is arguably the best set it can have. Thanks to Hustle, it hits very hard, even compared to the titans of OU, and its Speed allows it to outpace common Pokemon such as Terrakion, allowing it to be a formidable offensive threat. Iron Head is the main STAB option, and hits even Pokemon that resist it for considerable damage. Superpower was BW2's gift to Durant—it is Durant's best option against the omnipresent Steel-types in OU, and OHKOes Pokemon that previously could defeat Durant, such as Heatran. Despite Thunder Fang's low Base Power, it hits Tentacruel, Jellicent, and Gyarados for massive damage, and these three are usually Pokemon that Durant struggles against.</p>

<p>The last slot comes down to personal preference, as well as confidence. As mentioned in the overview, Hone Claws is difficult to set up, but it complements Hustle well. After one boost, it fixes Durant's accuracy problems while allowing it to power through some of its usual checks—Thundurus-T, for example, is OHKOed by Iron Head at +1 despite resisting the move. However, Durant finds it hard to set this move up due to the prevalence of Choice Scarf users and faster special attackers that can threaten to destroy it easily due to Durant's bad special bulk. If this is a problem, X-Scissor is another STAB option. While it doesn't gain that much additional coverage, it is still a reliable, powerful STAB move, and can also do a good amount of damage to Psychic-types such as Deoxys-D.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Durant to maximize its offensive prowess. A Jolly nature is mandatory to outspeed fully invested Pokemon at base 108 Speed or lower. Because Durant has a unique Speed tier, it can move the other 4 EVs from Speed to HP to help it take hits slightly better. The choice of item is based off the the 4th move; if Durant has Hone Claws, then it should use a Life Orb to increase its damage output by as much as possible. If the set is only using attacking moves, a Choice Band is a decent alternative, as it allows Durant to hit harder than if it had a Life Orb. A Lum Berry could protect it from status, which otherwise makes Durant nearly useless, but foes can usually just outright KO it with a special move, so its usage is limited at best.</p>

<p>If you didn't get the memo by now, Durant's Special Defense sucks, so naturally its best partners are those that can take special hits. Heatran in particular is a good partner, as it can take special hits well and has Flash Fire to absorb hits from Fire-type moves, Durant's only weakness. Tyranitar is also a good partner, as not only is it incredibly bulky on the special side, but it also sets up a sandstorm which Durant happens to be immune to. Both Pokemon can also learn Stealth Rock, which allows Durant to secure some KOs on Pokemon. Gravity is an interesting option to help Durant out, as it increases the accuracy of its moves without the need of Hone Claws or an item. Both forms of Landorus are the most common users of the move in OU since they get mileage out of the move themselves. Weavile is also an effective partner, as it can defeat several Pokemon that Durant fears, such as Gengar, Starmie, Latios, and Tornadus.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Durant has a shallow movepool, but it has a few other options. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are coverage moves that Durant gets, but Durant covers most Pokemon in OU with its other moves. It does have the advantage of getting a nice hit on Zapdos, however. Agility or Rock Polish are decent options, as Durant isn't weak to any priority moves and the opponent will have a tough time outspeeding it at +2. However, Scizor's access to Bullet Punch and Swords Dance makes Scizor superior in most cases.</p>

<p>Thunder Wave is always a useful support option, but Durant's low special bulk makes it hard to use. Baton Pass can be used to pass off a boost at the last minute, but Durant will rarely even have the opportunity to use Hone Claws in the first place. Substitute is useful mainly because it is the only way Durant is going to take a special hit from a Pokemon such as Starmie. As a side note, do not use Wide Lens—even though it somewhat improves Durant's accuracy, it doesn't offer any additional power, which is Durant's main (and really only) advantage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to the immediate power it brings onto the field, Durant can be tricky to stop. Without Rock Slide, defensive Zapdos is the best check, as it avoids a 2HKO from all of Durant's moves other than Rock Slide even at +1. Choice Scarf Magnezone or Magneton can switch into any of Durant's moves other than Superpower and trap and OHKO it with Thunderbolt. Jellicent, Tentacruel, and most other bulky Water-types can switch into an Iron Head, survive one Thunder Fang, and hit hard with Scald, potentially burning or outright OHKOing Durant. However, a much safer way to defeat Durant is by revenge killing it. To put it bluntly, any Pokemon either holding a Choice Scarf or that has a base Speed over 109 with a neutral special attack is going to either force Durant out or destroy it. Examples of these Pokemon include Starmie, Gengar, or Tornadus, and if Durant has Hone Claws, these Pokemon will discourage its setup heavily. Be warned that some of these Pokemon, such as Alakazam and Gengar, must sometimes rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast, while Durant can OHKO some of them in return.</p>

Please put Stone Edge in the last slot. Without it you get stopped by Landorus-T and I, Thundurus-T, Dragonite, Salamence, etc. Stone Edge is 10x better; Iron Head should be slash #2 and T-fang should be AC, at best.
For reference:
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 255 HP/0 Def Landorus-T: 53.66% - 63.09% (2 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 255 HP/0 Def Landorus-T: 32.2% - 37.7% (3-4 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 0 HP/0 Def Thundurus-T: 50.5% - 59.2% (2 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 0 HP/0 Def Thundurus-T: 167.89% - 197.99% (Guaranteed OHKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 60 HP/0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 86.69% - 102.07% (18.75% chance to OHKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs 60 HP/0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 28.4% - 33.43% (4-5 hits to KO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 51.41% - 60.45% (2 hits to KO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 30.79% - 36.44% (3-4 hits to KO)

Please put Stone Edge in the last slot. Without it you get stopped by Landorus-T and I, Thundurus-T, Dragonite, Salamence, etc. Stone Edge is 10x better; Iron Head should be slash #2 and T-fang should be AC, at best.
For reference:
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 255 HP/0 Def Landorus-T: 53.66% - 63.09% (2 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 255 HP/0 Def Landorus-T: 32.2% - 37.7% (3-4 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 0 HP/0 Def Thundurus-T: 50.5% - 59.2% (2 hits to KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 0 HP/0 Def Thundurus-T: 167.89% - 197.99% (Guaranteed OHKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 60 HP/0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 86.69% - 102.07% (18.75% chance to OHKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs 60 HP/0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 28.4% - 33.43% (4-5 hits to KO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 51.41% - 60.45% (2 hits to KO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 30.79% - 36.44% (3-4 hits to KO)
Why is Iron Head not in any of these Calculations?

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs 252 HP/0 Def Landorus-T: 64.4% - 75.65% (2 hits to KO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs 252 HP/176 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 61.86% - 72.88% (2 hits to KO)

This does more than a Stone Edge thanks to STAB. Nope.

252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs 60 HP/0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 52.07% - 61.24% (2 hits to KO)

This 2HKOs, which makes it about as reliable as Stone Edge considering Stone Edge misses quite a bit, even with Hone Claws.

252 +1 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs 0 HP/0 Def Thundurus-T: 75.25% - 88.63% (2 hits to KO)

This damage barely secures a OHKO if Stealth Rock is up. Durant also outspeeds the Snake-Genie thing unless it has a Choice Scarf, so he can get a boost and attack. Good luck with him!

So essentially, with Stealth Rock, all 4 of them are losing if you decide to run Iron Head. Without Stealth Rock, 2 or 3 of them are losing anyway. With Stone Edge, you beat Dragonite and Thundurus-T all the time but are left with a weaker attack that misses about 20% of the time. I'd rather just set up Stealth Rock.

Skarmory shits on this thing, I would list it as a counter.

Viability of a Choice Band set?
Skarmory is 2HKOed by +1 Thunder Fang and +1 Superpower and cannot do anything back to him except Whirlwind. I'll add him as more of a last resort.

Choice Band is mentioned in OO. It is similar to other Choice Users, but with much more Power. It misses a lot though, so Scizor is much more reliable (and gets U-turn/Priority)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been playtesting this, and sadly my Aunt Dura hasn't been getting much action.

There are a few things that play as a huge advantage for this thing. Revenging via priority isn't safe - Choice Band Bullet Punch from Scizor does 42.6% - 50.4%. The problem is that its 109 Speed isn't quite trolly enough as 111 is - commonly being outsped by Lati@s and co. is a major hindrance to this thing. Also, I found the best partner for this thing to be Weavile. Weavile knocks the faster Pokemon Durant has trouble with.

Honestly, I don't think it's that great in OU. The good news is there's a lot of physical Pokemon you can set up on. The bad news is that you're limited to move options (and IMO you want Iron Head - Gliscor stopping a sweep is stupid). I wouldn't really use this over Scizor who has access to a more powerful STAB Bug-type attack in Bug Bite, U-turn to escape, and Bullet Punch to bypass its Speed issue.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
A liability unless it sets up and OHKO'd by even resisted special attacks - is it really worth it for *omg*713*omg Atk which, btw, isn't that impressive at all considering Lucario and Terrakion hit 700 and 714 respectively after a boost but hit much harder thanks to their better movepools. I hate to shoot it down because it's a pretty cool little dude but I can't think of a single situation where something else isn't better.

If anything I'd be more inclined to use CB because 713 is crazy good for a Choice Bander (off my head only Medicham at 720 exceeds that figure in OU) but the accuracy issue would case too many woes for my liking and the limited movepool means it doesn't hit as hard as you might think (for example, a Jolly CB heracross hits significantly harder with Megahorn than this thing does with X-Scissor, and it's more accurate too!)

tldr screw this thing

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC APPROVED (1/3)

Durant's a boss. Maybe you should mention that with Superpower it can now defeat Heatran (its biggest counter) and deal heavy damage to offensive pkmn that resist its STAB combo (like Keldeo... +1 Superpower actually Ohkoes).

What about a Wide Lens set? That's what I run, and I've found it works pretty well (Or is it "works pretty good"?)
Durant @ Wide Lens
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Serious Nature
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

You should also slash in a Lum Berry on the Hone Claws set, because this guy can't do shit if he's paralysed or burned.

What about a Wide Lens set? That's what I run, and I've found it works pretty well (Or is it "works pretty good"?)
Durant @ Wide Lens
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Serious Nature
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

You should also slash in a Lum Berry on the Hone Claws set, because this guy can't do shit if he's paralysed or burned.
While that looks like an OK set (except the nature), the only problem is compared to the rest of the OU tier, it doesn't hit quite as hard. By this point, it also seems like more of a reason to use Choice Band Scizor over this particular Durant. I'll mention it in OO though.

I'll put a Lum Berry in AC... Durant needs all the power it can get before it bites the dust, and it is easier to just kill it with a special move rather than send in your wall and status it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only reason wide lens deserves a mention in this analysis is to explain why not to use it. Hustle is Durant's one distinguishing feature, the one reason to use it in OU. To use Wide Lens is to pass up on Durant's main strength, initial power. With Wide Lens, Durant is utterly mediocre and still not accurate at all. Life Orb and Choice Band are the only moves worth considering on this thing.

Finally, you should consider forgoing X-Scissor, since as far as I can tell you don't miss out on too much, besides avoiding the stat drops from superpower. Basically it's just hitting Psychic types (reuniclus, latis, deoxys-d) super effectively.

edit: by giving up your item slot you effectively lose out on a large amount of power. Wide Lens Durant is outclassed by numerous OU Pokemon carrying a Life Orb, since they are usually more powerful and more accurate. Also those numbers are not quite right: 0.8*1.1 = 0.88 i.e a 12% drop.

The only reason wide lens deserves a mention in this analysis is to explain why not to use it. Hustle is Durant's one distinguishing feature, the one reason to use it in OU. To use Wide Lens is to pass up on Durant's main strength, initial power. With Wide Lens, Durant is utterly mediocre and still not accurate at all. Life Orb and Choice Band are the only moves worth considering on this thing.

Finally, you should consider forgoing X-Scissor, since as far as I can tell you don't miss out on too much, besides avoiding the stat drops from superpower. Basically it's just hitting Psychic types (reuniclus, latis, deoxys-d) super effectively.
Wait I don't understand. What Wide Lens does is change hustle from a 20% accuracy drop to a 10% one. As in, in stead of moves having 80% Accuracy they have 90%, no setup required. Wide Lens doesn't affect power.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
He is saying that running Wide Lens removes your ability to run a power boosting item, such as Life Orb or Choice Band. Quite frankly, I agree with jc104, especially when you have Hone Claws to help take care of that accuracy problem.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

EDIT

Approval based on the suggestions the PK Gaming will post shortly

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi

I talked it over with my fellow QC members, and we decided that the main set should look like this:

move 4: Hone Claws / X-scissor
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Iron Head / Superpower / Thunder Fang are non-negotiable. When I tested out Durant I always ran into Pokemon who could stop me (Jellicent, Gyarados, etc). I am aware that HC can turn some of those checks into 2hkoes, but it's simply not enough at times. In actuality you are rarely going to pull off a HC. It has utility against stall teams (in fact HC destroys stall teams; it's the reason why the move is still listed as a main option) but against offensive teams you'll struggle to land pull them off (outside of choiced locked pokemon I guess.) Once you actually "get one" however, it's extremely difficult to find a Pokemon that straight up takes it on. Honestly, half of the time you don't even "need" HC's power boost (well, you do if don't want to rely on Durant's shaky accuracy...) since it really wrecks most of BW Ou.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive can probably have Choice Band slashed as an item or talked about on the set comments. Im just glad I'm not the only one who had an awkward time setting up Hone Claws.

Changed the main set... from here, I will edit the counters soon, because now some Pokemon just don't really work (Jellicent is a big one)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice work, Swamp Rocket! I have some suggestions.

[Overview]
Convenient speed that lets it outrun common Pokemon like Terrakion.
Mention that Durant still gets trolled by missing out in outgunning Latias, Latios, Gengar, Espeon, and Tornadus-I, all of which are barely faster than Durant.

[Offensive]

~ Change the EVs to 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe. It does not need max Speed to be faster than Terrakion & co, so the extra point is meaningless in a speed tier only shared by other Durant. In the other hand, 8 HP provides Durant a "Life Orb HP Number," which is ever slightly more meaningful.

[Set Comments]
Hone Claws is very difficult to set up, but if it does set up, it can power through some of Pokemon that would usually counter it, such as Keldeo and Dragonite.
Ummm, +0 Thunder Fang does 82-97% to Keldeo and +0 Iron Head 73-85% to Dragonite without MultiScale (81% chance to OHKO after SR). They aren't counters or even checks to begin with - please provide a better example.

[Additional Comments]

~ Gravity support would be worthy of a mention - it would solve Hustle's accuracy problems and make Durant a more reliable Sweeper. With Gravity being more accessible thanks to BW2 tutors, there is no reason to mention Gravity support, imo.

[Other Options]

~ Rock Polish / Agility would prevent Durant from being revenged by Scarfers / 110+ Speed mons. Not weak to any priority moves helps here, too.

~ Thunder Wave is always nice

~ Sleep Talk & Endeavor

[Checks & Counters]
If it runs Iron Head, Jellicent and Tentacruel can wall it and hit it with a Special Water STAB. Bulky Gyarados has Intimidate and can also can wall it, but has to hit Durant's physical defense.
This makes very little sense, since Durant is packing Thunder Fang to pick off Water-types. I guess if Jellicent and Tentacruel are near max HP and switch into Iron Head, they can survive a Thunder Fang and retaliate with a crippling Scald. But yea, definitely re-word that.
If it runs Thunder Fang, Gliscor can easily take anything Durant has and Dragonite is able to as well. Salamence can also activate Intimidate and take on Durant's attacks without worry.
This makes little sense since you still have Iron Head. FYI, Iron Head does a hefty 41-48% to Gliscor; combine that with 24% chance of flinch and the damage is going to add up. After an Intimidate Salamence is taking 54-64%. I already explained Dragonite. Gliscor is still a decent check, but certainly not Dragonite or Salamence.
Any Choice Scarfed Pokemon or Pokemon above 109 speed with a neutral special move like Gengar or Starmie will force Durant out.
Probably worth mentioning that Gengar must risk that 30% Focus Miss if it wants to take out Durant without HP Fire. This makes Gengar a relatively shaky check. Tornadus-T and Latios would be more solid checks.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Its a tough life for Durant--it gets preyed upon by the NU Pokemon Heatmor! On a more serious note, Durant struggles to disinguish itself from Scizor, which packs the same typing, a higher attack, an enhanced movepool, and a greater overall bulk. However, Durant has a few things that distinguish it from not only Scizor, but the rest of the tier as well. It gets access to Hustle, which boosts its attack to one of the highest in the game. In addition, it sports a base speed stat of 109, which allows it to barely outpace Pokemon such as Infernape and Terrakion. Finally, while it has a somwhat shallow movepool, it is enough to cover many relevant threats in OU and 2HKO them all with the appropriate move after a +1 boost from Hone Claws.</p>

<p>Although Durant looks extremely difficult to stop, it has a number of flaws. Its Special Defense is downright awful, and it will almost never take a neutral special hit. While its Speed is good for outpacing some Pokemon, it finds itself barely outsped by many special attackers, (AC) including Latios, Gengar, and Starmie. Also, while Hustle its Durant's big selling point, the accuracy drop it gives can be fatal. It has Hone Claws to fix this, but this is difficult to set up with Durant's bad special bulk. Overall, Durant is a high-risk, high-reward Pokemon, and must be considered as so when being placed onto a team.</p>

[SET]

move 4: Hone Claws / X-scissor
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If Durant has any hope of competing in the OU environment, this is arguably the best set it can have. Thanks to Hustle, it hits very hard, even compared to the titans of OU, and its Speed allows it to barely outpace common Pokemon such as Terrakion, allowing it to be a formidable offensive threat. Iron Head is the main STAB option, and hits even Pokemon that resist it for considerable damage. Superpower was BW2's gift to Durant--it is its best option against the omnipresent Steel-types in OU, and it OHKOs Pokemon that previously could defeat Durant, (AC) such as Heatran. Despite Thunder Fang's low Base Power, it hits Tentacruel, Jellicent, and Gyarados for massive damage, and these three are usually Pokemon Durant struggles against.</p>

<p>The last slot comes down to personal preference, as well as confidence. As mentioned in the overview, Hone Claws is difficult to set up, but it complements Hustle well. After one boost, it fixes Durant's accuracy problems while allowing it to power through some of its usual checks-- Thundurus-T, for example, is OHKOed by Iron Head at +1 despite resisting the move. However, Durant finds it hard to set this move up due to the prevalence of Choice Scarf users and faster special attackers that can threaten to destroy it easily due to Durant's bad special bulk. If this is a problem, X-Scissor is another STAB option. While it doesn't gain that much additional coverage, it is still a reliable, powerful STAB move. Add something about getting coverage against psychics...Jirachi, Reuniclus, Deoxys-D?</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p> The given EVs allow Durant to maximize its offensive prowess. A Jolly nature is manditory to outspeed fully invested Pokemon at base 108 speed or lower; since Durant has a unique speed tier, it can move the other 4 EVs from Speed to HP to help it take hits slightly better. The choice of item is based off the choice of the 4th move--if Durant has Hone Claws, then it should use a Life Orb to increase its damage output by as much as possible. If the set is only using attacking moves, a Choice Band is a decent alternative, as it allows Durant to hit harder than if it had a Life Orb. A Lum Berry could protect it from status, which makes Durant nearly useless, but foes can usually just outright KO it with a special move, so its usage is limited at best. </p>

<p>If you didn't get the memo by now, Durant's Special Defense sucks, so naturally, its best partners are those that can take these hits. Heatran in particular is a good partner, as it can take special hits well and has Flash Fire to absorb hits from Fire-type moves, which is Durant's only weakness. Tyranitar also is a good partner, since not only it incredibly bulky on the special side, but it also sets up a Sandstorm which Durant happens to be immune to. Both Pokemon can also learn Stealth Rock, which allows Durant to secure some KOs on Pokemon. Gravity is an interesting option to help Durant out, as it increases the accuracy of its moves without the need of Hone Claws or an item. Skarmory also loses its Flying-type, making it unable to phaze Durant. Gravity only grounds skarmory, which is kind of useless since it doesn't get earthquake. Both forms of Landorus are the most common users of the move in OU since they get mileage out of the move themselves. Although not OU, Weavile is also an effective partner, as it can defeat several Pokemon Durant fears, such as Gengar, Starmie, Latios, and Tornadus with its STAB moves while they are all incapable of outspeeding Weavile.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Durant has a shallow movepool, but it has a few other options. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are coverage moves that Durant gets, but Durant covers most Pokemon in OU with its other moves. It does have the advantage of getting a nice hit on Zapdos, however. Agility or Rock Polish are decent options, as Durant isn't weak to any priority moves and the opponent will have a tough time outspeeding it at +2 it makes it so it cannot be revenge killed. However, Scizor's access to Bullet Punch and Swords Dance makes Scizor superior in most cases.</p>

<p>Thunder Wave is always a useful support option, but Durant's low bulk makes it hard to use. Baton Pass can be used to pass off a boost at the last minute, but Durant will rarely even have the opportunity to use Hone Claws in the first place. Substitute is useful mainly because it is the only way Durant is going to take a special hit from a Pokemon like Starmie. As a side note, do not use Wide Lens--even though it somewhat improves Durant's accuracy, it doesn't offer any additional power, which is Durant's main (and really only) advantage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p> Due to the immediate power it brings into the field, Durant can be tricky to stop. Without Rock Slide, however, Defensive Zapdos is the best check, as it avoids a 2HKO from Durant's moves other than Rock Slide even at +1. Scarfed Magnezone or Magneton can switch into any of Durant's moves other than Superpower, tapping it and OHKOing it with Thunderbolt. Jellicent, Tentacruel, and most other bulky waters can switch into an Iron Head, survive one Thunder Fang, and hit it hard with Scald, potentially burning it or outright OHKOing it. However, a much safer way to defeat Durant is by revenge killing it. To put it bluntly, any Pokemon either holding a Choice Scarf or has over 109 base speed with a neutral special attack is going to either force Durant out or destroy it. Examples of these Pokemon include Starmie, Gengar, or Tornadus, and if Durant has Hone Claws, these Pokemon will discourage its set up heavily. Be warned that some of these Pokemon (ie Alakazam and Gengar) must sometimes rely on Focus Blast, which is inaccurate, while Durant can OHKO some of them in return.</p>

Implemented the above check, except the Skarmory exclusion in the Gravity part. It may not have Earthquake, but it gets Superpower, which is enough to destroy a Roosted Skarmory.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
However, durant will always always always be faster than skarmory, which means it will never get a roost of unless under trick room...but two gimmicky field effects at once? Gravity specifically doesn't make skarm's flying type go away, also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)