Dusclops

I faced this set in ShowDown being used by someone by the name of PILEdriver. Immediately the uniqueness and creativity of the set struck me. However, not only is it creative, it works really well, as I have heard from other people that I myself faced when I had built a decent team around this particular set.

[Overview]
  • Great bulk with eviolite
  • Rather disappointing offensive movepool
  • Good supportive/defensive movepool with moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Rest
  • Has trouble dealing with huge offensive powers such as Chandelure (as most walls, however).

[Set]
Name: Curse Stall
Move 1: Curse
Move 2: Mean Look
Move 3: Rest
Move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Careful / Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

[Set comments]
  • This traps opponents (Mean Look) and afflicts them with a status condition (W-o-W, Toxic or preferably Curse)
  • Heals up using Rest after reliably taking a hit because of natural bulk and Eviolite support and can continue taking hits while burning turns of sleep.
  • Is a great check to physical and special attackers, with a few exceptions such as Chandelure and Nidoking, because of W-o-W to lower attack and Special Bulk because of the Eviolite, EVs and Nature.
  • Gives a surprise factor as Duslops is mostly physically defensive.
  • Toxic can be used to clear out of nasty pests that Will-o-Wisp's constant damage can't take care of but this leaves Dusclops more vulnerable to physical attacks.
  • Cannot attack opponents and leaves it vulnerable as a set-up fodder.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Generally Taunt users that can shut uslops completely down and force it to switch or Struggle.
  • Chandelure
  • Nidoking
  • Bisharp (If it has set up a sub to block the W-o-W and can SD once and 2HKO with Night Slash)
  • Cofagrigus (Can Rest off damage and heal Toxic/W-o-W)

I'm not seeing how this set is worth a teamslot at all. You're relying on the opponent switching something into Dusclops as you Mean Look than you can Curse and outstall - but having just cut your hp by 50%, most Pokemon will easily beat you. Let's see a list of the things you can't beat:
- any Pokemon that does more than 25% damage
- anything with Taunt
- Anything With U-turn or Volt-switch
- anything with Baton Pass
- anything Toxic-Immune with reliable recovery, or just anything with reliable recovery if you're not using Toxic.
- Anything with Phazing

That's such a huge list of Pokemon that I really don't see how this is very useful. Even on full stall there will be very few Pokemon that don't have reliable recovery and don't have the ability to deal 25% and don't have Roar or Whirlwind and don't have Taunt... Against a good player with a good team, this is going to be deadweight most of the time. Even if the opponent has a Pokemon without any of the listed features, you're relying on it being their Dusclops switch. This is so unlikely I'm not sure how you saw it get kills...

I'm not an official QC member, but I would bet a genuine amount of money this nowhere close to getting approved without a lot more explanation fo how it actually kills things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)