Doubles Dusclops

QC Checks: Pocket, Lolk, Audiosurfer
GP Checks: horyzhnz, Calm Pokemaster

Overview
########

Dusclops is one of the most durable Trick Room setters due to a number of factors. The first is its great bulk when equipped with Eviolite, which allows it to take almost any two hits and set up Trick Room. Its base 20 Speed compliments this nicely, as it makes Dusclops extremely fast under Trick Room as well. Dusclops also has a nice support movepool that includes gems such as Will-O-Wisp, Helping Hand, Taunt, and Disable, which allows it to support its team with ease. Its Ghost typing also gives it the added benefit of being able to take on top-tier threats such as Mega Kangaskhan with relative ease. However, Dusclops has a long list of shortcomings that stop it from being a common sight in the Doubles metagame. It has extremely low offensive presence and must rely on Night Shade for damage, often making it a sitting duck during different points in the match. While other Trick Room setters can run Mental Herb and Safety Goggles to help ensure that Trick Room gets set up, Dusclops is helpless against common anti-Trick Room tactics such as Taunt, Spore, and Sleep Powder, which can prevent it from doing its job. The large rise in the use of Knock Off has also hurt Dusclops a ton, as it is now much more vulnerable to losing its previous Eviolite. Finally, Dusclops's lack of reliable recovery outside of Pain Split means it can find itself getting worn down quite easily throughout the course of the match.

Defensive Trick Room
################
name: Defensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Night Shade
move 4: Helping Hand / Taunt / Disable
ability: Pressure / Frisk
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
ivs: 0 Speed
nature: Sassy

Moves
======

Trick Room is the most important move on this set, as it allows Dusclops to make slower teammates much faster. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Garchomp. Night Shade is Dusclops's only real way to do direct damage to the opponent and is preferred over Seismic Toss due to its ability to hit Ghost-types. Helping Hand is used in the last spot in order to boost the power of a partner's next move. Taunt can be used in the last slot as well, as Dusclops can Taunt quickly when under Trick Room, stopping support moves such as Spore, Protect, opposing Taunt, and opposing Trick Room. It should be noted, however, that Taunt is only really effective under Trick Room, as Dusclops is much too slow otherwise. Finally, Disable can also be used in the last slot to stop your opponent from using a move which can take Dusclops's partner out.

Set Details
=========

Eviolite is the best item for Dusclops, boosting its defensive stats to sky-high levels and ensuring that Dusclops is not outclassed by its evolution, Dusknoir. Pressure is used on Dusclops as it is the only ability legal with Helping Hand. If Helping Hand is not being used, however, then Frisk is the preferred ability in order to scout your opponent's item. The EVs give Dusclops balanced defenses, allowing it to take both physical and special hits. A Sassy nature further helps balance Dusclops's stats while also speeding it up under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs are used to further speed up Dusclops under Trick Room. Pain Split is another option for the fourth slot, as it gives Dusclops a way to heal its HP; it is unreliable, however, and means that Dusclops must forgo a support move.

Usage Tips
=========

Only lead with Dusclops if you have a quick Taunt, Fake Out, or Safeguard user, as Trick Room leads can be quite obvious. It is usually best to pivot Dusclops into the battle to maximize your momentum. Taunt users such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados completely shut Dusclops down. As such, if you see one of these Pokemon in Team Preview, it is best to either send Dusclops in when these Pokemon have been eliminated or wait until you know it can set up Trick Room safely. Dusclops is best paired with either a support Pokemon to help guarantee that Trick Room goes up, or an offensive Pokemon that can make up for its terrible offensive presence. Night Shade is best used to sufficiently weaken your opponent's Pokemon so that other Pokemon can KO them.

Team Options
===========

Pokemon that appreciate Trick Room are almost necessary partners for Dusclops, as they can take advantage of the move it's meant to set up. Notable Trick Room attackers include Heatran, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, and Mega Mawile. A second Pokemon to set up Trick Room, such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Jellicent, can be helpful for when Dusclops has been taken out. Fake Out users such as Hitmontop and Scrafty are very helpful, as they can immobilize one of your opponent's Pokemon and almost guarantee Trick Room is set up. Rage Powder and Follow Me users such Amoonguss and Togekiss can also help make sure Dusclops sets Trick Room up. Safeguard users, such as Cresselia and Meowstic, can help Dusclops avoid Spore, meaning that it can set up Trick Room more easily. Dark-type Pokemon make great partners for Dusclops, as they resist the two types that it is weak to. Scrafty has Fake Out and can beat both Dark- and Ghost-types with its dual STABs, while Bisharp receives a Defiant boost from Scrafty's Intimidate and has priority Sucker Punch. Fast Taunt users such as Terrakion and Prankster Thundurus, are also helpful due to their ability to Taunt slower Taunt users before Dusclops gets Taunted.

Other Options
##########

Dusclops has a few other options at its disposal. The first are Rain Dance and Sunny Day, which can be used on dedicated weather teams looking for weather support. However, Dusclops can't hold Damp Rock or Heat Rock due to its dependence on Eviolite, making these sets outclassed by other weather setters. Gravity is an interesting move that Dusclops has access to, and it can be used by teams looking to take advantage of inaccurate moves. Imprison + Protect can be helpful to prevent the opponent's from stalling Trick Room turns with Protect, but it usually isn't worth the moveslots. Skill Swap can be used to cripple Pokemon reliant on their abilities, such as Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan. Swagger can also be used in tandem with Lum Berry to give your teammate an Attack boost. Finally, Haze can be used to stop your opponent from setting up as well as neutralize Intimidate on your side of the field.

Checks & Counters:
##############

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Spore, Sleep Powder, and Knock Off greatly hinder Dusclops's ability to support its team. Taunt users, such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados, all force Dusclops to resort to Night Shade, making it practically useless. Sleep-inducers such as Breloom and Venusaur can also put Dusclops to sleep, stopping it from being able to set up Trick Room. Knock Off users such as Scrafty, Bisharp, Landorus-T, and Conkeldurr can not only hit Dusclops for super effective damage, but also remove its Eviolite, making it a lot easier to take out.

**Offensive Type Advantage**: While Dusclops is almost never taken out in one hit, the combination of super effective moves from both opponents can eliminate Dusclops before it can set up Trick Room. Even if they don't outright KO, they can still do quite a lot of damage. Some notable powerful attackers include Tyranitar, Aegislash, Bisharp, Chandelure, Weavile, (Mega) Gengar, Greninja, and Darkrai.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Shaymin-S, and Latios don't mind Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate back with a powerful STAB attack. Special attackers with access to reliable recovery can also effectively stall Dusclops out.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Night Shade is actually better than Seismic Toss, since it lets Dusclops deal with Ghost-types, which are more numerous than Normal-types (Kangaskhan). Mega Kanga is ruined by burn anyways.

Just like Cresselia, I would personally maximize Dusclops's support capabilities. Thus I would not use Protect on Dusclops, since it has no problems surviving hits. Instead I would use the final slot for support options, such as Helping Hand, Disable, and Taunt. Disable is cool, because you can prevent the opponent from using a move it needs to take down Dusclops's partner. Taunt is usually seen on fast Pokemon, but it actually works on Dusclops, too. Coupled with a Fake Out user, it can Taunt the likes of Thundurus while the opponent flinches. Dusclops can then set up Trick Room without worries. Once Trick Room is up, Dusclops can use its slower Speed to Taunt Amoonguss before it can spam Spore, prevent opposing users from reversing the dimensions back to normal by using Trick Room, or stall out Trick Room turns with Protect / Wide Guard. As you can see there are many uses for Taunt on Dusclops.

So the moveset changes that I suggest:

move 3: Helping Hand / Disable / Taunt
move 4: Night Shade

Mention in either Set Details or Usage Tips that Dusclops can forego Night Shade to stack up on support options / Pain Split. Also move Sunny Day / Rain Dance description in OO to here, since this set puts these weather summoning moves to devastating use.

Slash Frisk with Pressure, because Dusclops without Helping Hand would prefer that ability.

Explain EVs please.

I'd remove Counter from OO, since Dusclops has low base HP. I would also remove Destiny Bond, since it's most likely that the opponent would focus their assaults on Dusclops's partner. Remove Icy Wind, because the last thing Dusclops want is give Bisharp more firepower. Remove Taunt, since it's already displayed in the set analysis. Replace Confuse Ray with Swagger, which can be used to boost the attack of your physical sweeper holding a Lum Berry. Move Sunny Day / Rain Dance to the main set descriptions (no need to slash it into the moveset, though).

Add Imprison + Protect to prevent opponents from stalling TR turns with Protect (Imprison also prevents the opponent from resetting TR with Trick Room). Skill Swap is always worth a mention to cripple ability-dependent Pokemon.

Night Shade is actually better than Seismic Toss, since it lets Dusclops deal with Ghost-types, which are more numerous than Normal-types (Kangaskhan). Mega Kanga is ruined by burn anyways.

Just like Cresselia, I would personally maximize Dusclops's support capabilities. Thus I would not use Protect on Dusclops, since it has no problems surviving hits. Instead I would use the final slot for support options, such as Helping Hand, Disable, and Taunt. Disable is cool, because you can prevent the opponent from using a move it needs to take down Dusclops's partner. Taunt is usually seen on fast Pokemon, but it actually works on Dusclops, too. Coupled with a Fake Out user, it can Taunt the likes of Thundurus while the opponent flinches. Dusclops can then set up Trick Room without worries. Once Trick Room is up, Dusclops can use its slower Speed to Taunt Amoonguss before it can spam Spore, prevent opposing users from reversing the dimensions back to normal by using Trick Room, or stall out Trick Room turns with Protect / Wide Guard. As you can see there are many uses for Taunt on Dusclops.

So the moveset changes that I suggest:

move 3: Helping Hand / Disable / Taunt
move 4: Night Shade

Mention in either Set Details or Usage Tips that Dusclops can forego Night Shade to stack up on support options / Pain Split. Also move Sunny Day / Rain Dance description in OO to here, since this set puts these weather summoning moves to devastating use.

Slash Frisk with Pressure, because Dusclops without Helping Hand would prefer that ability.

Explain EVs please.

I'd remove Counter from OO, since Dusclops has low base HP. I would also remove Destiny Bond, since it's most likely that the opponent would focus their assaults on Dusclops's partner. Remove Icy Wind, because the last thing Dusclops want is give Bisharp more firepower. Remove Taunt, since it's already displayed in the set analysis. Replace Confuse Ray with Swagger, which can be used to boost the attack of your physical sweeper holding a Lum Berry. Move Sunny Day / Rain Dance to the main set descriptions (no need to slash it into the moveset, though).

Add Imprison + Protect to prevent opponents from stalling TR turns with Protect (Imprison also prevents the opponent from resetting TR with Trick Room). Skill Swap is always worth a mention to cripple ability-dependent Pokemon.
All done.

EV's are meant to give Dusclops the best mixed bulk possible. I'm not the best at EV spreads, so if you have a better one I'd love to hear it. :)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Read over your set descriptions - you still mention Seismic Toss and Protect...

Also this spread gives Dusclops more bulk: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD, Sassy Nature.
Pain Split can be used instead of Night Shade to allow yourself a way to heal while also damaging the opponents. It's very reliant on the amount of HP your opponent's at, though.
No need to put a negative spin on Pain Split, which is a legitimate damage-dealing health recovery move for a Pokemon with such low base HP. Say that Pain Split can be use instead of the support options in the last slot.

Mention that additional support options; such as Disable, Taunt, and Sunny Day; or Pain Split can be used over Night Shade, at the expense of being Taunt bait.
Dusclops movepool is actually surprisingly good, including moves such as Haze, Swagger, and Toxic. However, a lot of these moves are either counter-productive, are done better by other Pokemon, or just aren't worth using over another moves already listed on the set.
If it's counter-productive or not worth the moveslot then don't mention it. We only want to mention worthwhile options. That said, Swagger can pair well with a physical partner holding Lum Berry. Haze may also be good for removing attack drops from Intimidate, etc.

Read over your set descriptions - you still mention Seismic Toss and Protect...

Also this spread gives Dusclops more bulk: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD, Sassy Nature.
No need to put a negative spin on Pain Split, which is a legitimate damage-dealing health recovery move for a Pokemon with such low base HP. Say that Pain Split can be use instead of the support options in the last slot.

Mention that additional support options; such as Disable, Taunt, and Sunny Day; or Pain Split can be used over Night Shade, at the expense of being Taunt bait. If it's counter-productive or not worth the moveslot then don't mention it. We only want to mention worthwhile options. That said, Swagger can pair well with a physical partner holding Lum Berry. Haze may also be good for removing attack drops from Intimidate, etc.
Done

Overview:
  • Mention that Spore is a common and easy method to stop Trick Room as well. Add this to checks and counters as well.
  • No reliable recovery
  • Mega Kanga counter! Idk if it's necessary to mention, but so many butts in Doubles are worrying about it so might as well. You could add a bullet about its typing and its perks i guess and sneak it in.
Set:
  • Put Taunt before Disable, I see more perks with it.
Set Details:
  • Move any move mentions that aren't in the set to other options.
Team Options:
  • Safeguard support against Spore leads also :o
Usage Tips:
  • Don't lead with Dusclops unless you have a quick Taunt/Safeguard partner because Trick Room leads are obvious af and easily counterable. Try to pivot it in for maximum momentum gain.
Checks & Counters:
  • Any special attacker can switch in reasonably safely, deal some damage, and not worry about WoW. Any special attacker with recovery will outlast Dusclops 1v1.

Overview:
  • Mention that Spore is a common and easy method to stop Trick Room as well. Add this to checks and counters as well.
  • No reliable recovery
  • Mega Kanga counter! Idk if it's necessary to mention, but so many butts in Doubles are worrying about it so might as well. You could add a bullet about its typing and its perks i guess and sneak it in.
Set:
  • Put Taunt before Disable, I see more perks with it.
Set Details:
  • Move any move mentions that aren't in the set to other options.
Team Options:
  • Safeguard support against Spore leads also :o
Usage Tips:
  • Don't lead with Dusclops unless you have a quick Taunt/Safeguard partner because Trick Room leads are obvious af and easily counterable. Try to pivot it in for maximum momentum gain.
Checks & Counters:
  • Any special attacker can switch in reasonably safely, deal some damage, and not worry about WoW. Any special attacker with recovery will outlast Dusclops 1v1.
Ok all done.

I didn't really know what tag to put Special Attackers under, so I just made a new one if that's alright.

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention I didn't move Pain Split down to OO because in my experience it's good enough for Set Details, and honestly I'm going to stand by that :x

Last edited:
First off, Dusclops is not one of the best Trick Room setters in Doubles, because it is vulnerable to every anti-Trick Room strategy in the book. Other Mons can hold Mental Herbs or Safety Goggles, or have abilities that help them set up, or have enough offensive presence to force out threats. Dusclops is a sitting duck. Make sure you are not to enthusiastic about Dusclops, because it is pretty mediocre.

First off, Dusclops is not one of the best Trick Room setters in Doubles, because it is vulnerable to every anti-Trick Room strategy in the book. Other Mons can hold Mental Herbs or Safety Goggles, or have abilities that help them set up, or have enough offensive presence to force out threats. Dusclops is a sitting duck. Make sure you are not to enthusiastic about Dusclops, because it is pretty mediocre.
You're right, I did oversell it a lot D: Hopefully that sounds better?

Just a few things I noticed when reading through this...

Overview:
  • The set has Night Shade, not Seismic Toss.
  • Separate Knock Off from the sentence about stopping Trick Room, because Dusclops lives most Knock Off and can set up Trick Room still. It is still important to note that Knock Off is everywhere, though, because it does drastically shorten its lifespan later in the match.
  • Remove the last sentence because it is fluff.
Moves:
  • Move Pain Split to Set Details, because it is not directly in the set.
Set Details:
  • Don't say Pressure is the preferred ability (because Frisk is better), just say that Helping Hand is the preferred attack, and you need Pressure to use it.
Usage Tips:
  • Your sentences kinda conflict each other. In the beginning you talk about how you should lead with partners that help it set up Trick Room, then you say you shouldn't lead with it. I would put the don't lead with Dusclops part in the beginning of the paragraph and then talk about pivoting it in when a partner is available that can help it set up.
  • Also put BURN EVERYTHING IT CAN in here.
Other Options:
  • I'd take out Toxic because it has no point in Doubles at all.
Checks & Counters:
  • In special attackers, take out the "either immune to," because all special attackers don't mind a burn. The wording just stuck out as weird to me idk.
I appreciate your productivity with getting this done :>

Just a few things I noticed when reading through this...

Overview:
  • The set has Night Shade, not Seismic Toss.
  • Separate Knock Off from the sentence about stopping Trick Room, because Dusclops lives most Knock Off and can set up Trick Room still. It is still important to note that Knock Off is everywhere, though, because it does drastically shorten its lifespan later in the match.
  • Remove the last sentence because it is fluff.
Moves:
  • Move Pain Split to Set Details, because it is not directly in the set.
Set Details:
  • Don't say Pressure is the preferred ability (because Frisk is better), just say that Helping Hand is the preferred attack, and you need Pressure to use it.
Usage Tips:
  • Your sentences kinda conflict each other. In the beginning you talk about how you should lead with partners that help it set up Trick Room, then you say you shouldn't lead with it. I would put the don't lead with Dusclops part in the beginning of the paragraph and then talk about pivoting it in when a partner is available that can help it set up.
  • Also put BURN EVERYTHING IT CAN in here.
Other Options:
  • I'd take out Toxic because it has no point in Doubles at all.
Checks & Counters:
  • In special attackers, take out the "either immune to," because all special attackers don't mind a burn. The wording just stuck out as weird to me idk.
I appreciate your productivity with getting this done :>
Ok, implemented everything. Sorry for all the mistakes 0_0

Also, I decided to keep Pain Split in moves for a number of reasons. Firstly, I feel as though because Pain Split is a move, it should go in the Moves section. Secondly, I feel it's really awkward to be reading the details of the set (Such as EVs, nature, etc) and have Pain Split pop up at you as an option, something you'd expect to see in Moves. Finally, I've mentioned other options move-wise in the Moves section in previous analyses and it had worked out fine. Hope you're OK with this!

Also hahaha yes, I've been sick for the past few days so I've just been working on analyses lol ^.^

Nah, I am cool with Pain Split being closer to the set instead of OO, it is just typical format for moves that aren't in the set that you still want to be mentioned to go in set details. Idk wut analyses you did before, but as far as I know, it has always gone there. :o

Nah, I am cool with Pain Split being closer to the set instead of OO, it is just typical format for moves that aren't in the set that you still want to be mentioned to go in set details. Idk wut analyses you did before, but as far as I know, it has always gone there. :o
No I know, I just think it sound absolutely terrible with Pain Split stuck on the end of Set Details, as it feels out of place when you're reading it. Idk maybe that's me, but I'll move it for ya. :)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • you can cut down on some of the partner examples for the teammate part of the defensive set
  • ludicolo really shouldnt be mentioned as a fake out partner since it really isn't used in trick room ever, top and scrafty are sufficient examples.
  • when mentioning taunt, be sure to mention that it can really only stop things when it's under trick room, as otherwise most things outspeed it
other than that looks p. good. lemme know when eevrything stated is implemented

• you can cut down on some of the partner examples for the teammate part of the defensive set
  • ludicolo really shouldnt be mentioned as a fake out partner since it really isn't used in trick room ever, top and scrafty are sufficient examples.
  • when mentioning taunt, be sure to mention that it can really only stop things when it's under trick room, as otherwise most things outspeed it
other than that looks p. good. lemme know when eevrything stated is implemented
Ok, I think I've done everything :)

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LightningLuxray
add or change
remove

comments
Overview
########

Dusclops is one of the most durable Trick Room setters due to a number of factors. The first is its great bulk when equipped with Eviolite, which allows it to take almost any two hits and set up Trick Room. Its base 20 Speed compliments this nicely, as it makes Dusclops extremely fast under Trick Room as well. Dusclops also has a nice support movepool that includes gems such as Will-O-Wisp, Helping Hand, Taunt, and Disable, which allows it to support its team with ease. Its Ghost typing (no hyphen) also gives it the added benefit of being able to take on top-tier threats such as Mega Kangaskhan with relative ease. However, Dusclops has a long list of shortcomings that stop it from being a common sight in the Doubles metagame. It Dusclops has extremely low offensive presence, and must rely on Night Shade for damage,(AC) This which means that Dusclops it can find itself a sitting duck on the battlefield during different points in the match. While other Trick Room setters can run Mental Herb and Safety Goggles to help ensure that Trick Room goes up gets set up, Dusclops is helpless against common anti-Trick Room tactics such as Taunt, Spore, and Sleep Powder, which can prevent it from doing its job. The large rise in the use of Knock Off has also hurt Dusclops a ton, as it now means it is now much more vulnerable to loosing losing his previous its precious Eviolite. Finally, Dusclops's lack of reliable recovery outside of Pain Split means it can find itself getting worn down quite easily throughout the course of the match.

Defensive Trick Room
################

Moves
======

Trick Room is the most important move on this set, as it allows Dusclops to make slower teammates much faster. Will-O-Wisp is another important move, as it's great for crippling physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Garchomp. Night Shade is Dusclops's only real way to do direct damage to the opponent, and is preferred over Seismic Toss due to its ability to hit Ghost-types. Helping Hand is used in the last spot in order to boost the power of your teammates' next move. Taunt can be used in the last slot as well, as under Trick Room Dusclops can Taunt quickly as Dusclops can Taunt quickly when under Trick Room, stopping support moves such as Spore, Protect, opposing Taunt, and opposing Trick Room. It should be noted, however, that Taunt is only really effective under Trick Room, as Dusclops is much too slow to utilize Taunt well outside of it. Finally, Disable can also be used in the last slot to stop your opponent from using a move, which can potentially save a teammate from fainting.

Set Details
=========

Eviolite is the best item for Dusclops, as it boosts Dusclops's defensive stats to sky-high levels and makes it so that Dusclops is not outclassed by its evolution, Dusknoir. Pressure is used on Dusclops as it is the only ability legal with Helping Hand. If Helping Hand is not being used, however, then Frisk is the preferred ability in order to scout your opponent's item. The EVs give Dusclops balanced defenses, allowing it to take hits both physically and specially both physical and special hits. A Sassy nature further helps balance Dusclops's stats while also speeding it up under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs are used to further boost Dusclops's Speed under Trick Room. Pain Split is another option for the fourth slot, as it gives Dusclops a way to heal its HP. It is unreliable, however, and means that Dusclops must forgo a support move.

Usage Tips
=========

Only lead with Dusclops if you have a quick Taunt, Fake Out, or Safeguard user, as Trick Room leads can be quite obvious. It is usually best to pivot Dusclops into the battle can to maximize your momentum. Taunt users,(RC) such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados completely shut Dusclops down. As such, if you see one of these Pokemon in Team Preview, it is best to either send Dusclops in when these Pokemon have been eliminated or wait until you know you can set up Trick Room safely. Dusclops is best paired with either a support Pokemon to help guarantee that Trick Room goes up, or an offensive Pokemon who can make up for Dusclops's terrible offensive presence. Night Shade is best used to put your opponent's Pokemon into a range so that where your other Pokemon can KO it.

Team Options
===========

Pokemon who appreciate Trick Room are almost necessary partners for Dusclops, as they can take advantage of the move it's meant to set up. Notable Trick Room attackers include Heatran, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, and Mega Mawile (you have an extra full stop). A second Pokemon to set up Trick Room,(RC) such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Jellicent,(AC) are can be helpful for if Dusclops has been taken out. Fake Out Pokemon users,(RC) such as Hitmontop and Scrafty,(RC) are very helpful, as they can immobilize one of your opponent's Pokemon and almost guarantee that Trick Room is set up. Rage Powder and Follow Me users,(RC) such Amoonguss and Togekiss,(RC) can also help make sure Dusclops gets sets Trick Room up. Safeguard users, such as Cresselia and Meowstic, can help Dusclops avoid Spore, meaning that it can set up Trick Room more easily. Dark-type Pokemon make great partners for Dusclops, as they resist the two types that Dusclops is weak to. Scrafty has Fake Out and can beat both Dark- and Ghost-types with its dual STABs, while Bisharp receives a Defiant boost from Scrafty's Intimidate and has priority Sucker Punch. Fast Taunt users, such as Terrakion and Prankster Thundurus, are helpful due to their ability to Taunt slower Taunt users before they Taunt Dusclops.

Other Options
##########

Dusclops has a few other options at its disposal. The first two are Rain Dance and Sunny Day, which can be used on dedicated weather teams looking for weather support. However, Dusclops can't hold Damp Rock or Heat Rock due to its dependence on Eviolite, making these sets outclassed by other weather setters. Gravity is an interesting move that Dusclops has access to, and can be used by teams looking to take advantage of the move. Imprison + Protect can be helpful to prevent the opponent's from stalling Trick Room turns with Protect, but it usually isn't worth the moveslots. Skill Swap can be used to cripple Pokemon reliant on their abilities, such as Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan. Swagger can also be used in tandem with Lum Berry to give your teammate an Attack boost. Finally, Haze can be used to stop your opponent from setting up, as well as curing neutralizing Intimidate on your side of the field.

Checks & Counters:
##############

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Spore,(AC) and Sleep Powder, and Knock Off both greatly hinder Dusclops's ability to support its team. Taunt users, such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados, all force Dusclops to resort to Seismic Toss (don't you mean Night Shade?) , making it practically useless. Sleep inducers users such as Breloom and Venusaur can also put Dusclops to sleep, stopping it from being able to set up Trick Room. Knock Off users, such as Scrafty, Bisharp, Landorus-T, and Conkeldurr can not only hit Dusclops for super effective damage, but can also removes its Eviolite, making Dusclops a lot easier to take out.

**Offensive Type Advantage**: While Dusclops is almost never taken out in one hit, the combination of super effective moves from both opponents can eliminate Dusclops before it can set up Trick Room. Even if they don't outright KO, they can still do quite a lot of damage. Some notable powerful attackers include Tyranitar, Aegislash, Bisharp, Chandelure, Weavile, (Mega) Gengar, Greninja, and Darkrai.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers,(RC) such as Charizard Y, Heatran, Shaymin-Sky, and Latios don't mind Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate back with a powerful STAB attack. Special attackers with access to reliable recovery can also effectively stall Dusclops out.

GP 1/2

edit: really sorry calm, forgot to use a placeholder and I was halfway through my check when you posted :[

LightningLuxray
add or change
remove

comments
Overview
########

Dusclops is one of the most durable Trick Room setters due to a number of factors. The first is its great bulk when equipped with Eviolite, which allows it to take almost any two hits and set up Trick Room. Its base 20 Speed compliments this nicely, as it makes Dusclops extremely fast under Trick Room as well. Dusclops also has a nice support movepool that includes gems such as Will-O-Wisp, Helping Hand, Taunt, and Disable, which allows it to support its team with ease. Its Ghost typing (no hyphen) also gives it the added benefit of being able to take on top-tier threats such as Mega Kangaskhan with relative ease. However, Dusclops has a long list of shortcomings that stop it from being a common sight in the Doubles metagame. It Dusclops has extremely low offensive presence, and must rely on Night Shade for damage,(AC) This which means that Dusclops it can find itself a sitting duck on the battlefield during different points in the match. While other Trick Room setters can run Mental Herb and Safety Goggles to help ensure that Trick Room goes up gets set up, Dusclops is helpless against common anti-Trick Room tactics such as Taunt, Spore, and Sleep Powder, which can prevent it from doing its job. The large rise in the use of Knock Off has also hurt Dusclops a ton, as it now means it is now much more vulnerable to loosing losing his previous its precious Eviolite. Finally, Dusclops's lack of reliable recovery outside of Pain Split means it can find itself getting worn down quite easily throughout the course of the match.

Defensive Trick Room
################

Moves
======

Trick Room is the most important move on this set, as it allows Dusclops to make slower teammates much faster. Will-O-Wisp is another important move, as it's great for crippling physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Garchomp. Night Shade is Dusclops's only real way to do direct damage to the opponent, and is preferred over Seismic Toss due to its ability to hit Ghost-types. Helping Hand is used in the last spot in order to boost the power of your teammates' next move. Taunt can be used in the last slot as well, as under Trick Room Dusclops can Taunt quickly as Dusclops can Taunt quickly when under Trick Room, stopping support moves such as Spore, Protect, opposing Taunt, and opposing Trick Room. It should be noted, however, that Taunt is only really effective under Trick Room, as Dusclops is much too slow to utilize Taunt well outside of it. Finally, Disable can also be used in the last slot to stop your opponent from using a move, which can potentially save a teammate from fainting.

Set Details
=========

Eviolite is the best item for Dusclops, as it boosts Dusclops's defensive stats to sky-high levels and makes it so that Dusclops is not outclassed by its evolution, Dusknoir. Pressure is used on Dusclops as it is the only ability legal with Helping Hand. If Helping Hand is not being used, however, then Frisk is the preferred ability in order to scout your opponent's item. The EVs give Dusclops balanced defenses, allowing it to take hits both physically and specially both physical and special hits. A Sassy nature further helps balance Dusclops's stats while also speeding it up under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs are used to further boost Dusclops's Speed under Trick Room. Pain Split is another option for the fourth slot, as it gives Dusclops a way to heal its HP. It is unreliable, however, and means that Dusclops must forgo a support move.

Usage Tips
=========

Only lead with Dusclops if you have a quick Taunt, Fake Out, or Safeguard user, as Trick Room leads can be quite obvious. It is usually best to pivot Dusclops into the battle can to maximize your momentum. Taunt users,(RC) such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados completely shut Dusclops down. As such, if you see one of these Pokemon in Team Preview, it is best to either send Dusclops in when these Pokemon have been eliminated or wait until you know you can set up Trick Room safely. Dusclops is best paired with either a support Pokemon to help guarantee that Trick Room goes up, or an offensive Pokemon who can make up for Dusclops's terrible offensive presence. Night Shade is best used to put your opponent's Pokemon into a range so that where your other Pokemon can KO it.

Team Options
===========

Pokemon who appreciate Trick Room are almost necessary partners for Dusclops, as they can take advantage of the move it's meant to set up. Notable Trick Room attackers include Heatran, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, and Mega Mawile (you have an extra full stop). A second Pokemon to set up Trick Room,(RC) such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Jellicent,(AC) are can be helpful for if Dusclops has been taken out. Fake Out Pokemon users,(RC) such as Hitmontop and Scrafty,(RC) are very helpful, as they can immobilize one of your opponent's Pokemon and almost guarantee that Trick Room is set up. Rage Powder and Follow Me users,(RC) such Amoonguss and Togekiss,(RC) can also help make sure Dusclops gets sets Trick Room up. Safeguard users, such as Cresselia and Meowstic, can help Dusclops avoid Spore, meaning that it can set up Trick Room more easily. Dark-type Pokemon make great partners for Dusclops, as they resist the two types that Dusclops is weak to. Scrafty has Fake Out and can beat both Dark- and Ghost-types with its dual STABs, while Bisharp receives a Defiant boost from Scrafty's Intimidate and has priority Sucker Punch. Fast Taunt users, such as Terrakion and Prankster Thundurus, are helpful due to their ability to Taunt slower Taunt users before they Taunt Dusclops.

Other Options
##########

Dusclops has a few other options at its disposal. The first two are Rain Dance and Sunny Day, which can be used on dedicated weather teams looking for weather support. However, Dusclops can't hold Damp Rock or Heat Rock due to its dependence on Eviolite, making these sets outclassed by other weather setters. Gravity is an interesting move that Dusclops has access to, and can be used by teams looking to take advantage of the move. Imprison + Protect can be helpful to prevent the opponent's from stalling Trick Room turns with Protect, but it usually isn't worth the moveslots. Skill Swap can be used to cripple Pokemon reliant on their abilities, such as Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan. Swagger can also be used in tandem with Lum Berry to give your teammate an Attack boost. Finally, Haze can be used to stop your opponent from setting up, as well as curing neutralizing Intimidate on your side of the field.

Checks & Counters:
##############

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Spore,(AC) and Sleep Powder, and Knock Off both greatly hinder Dusclops's ability to support its team. Taunt users, such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados, all force Dusclops to resort to Seismic Toss (don't you mean Night Shade?) , making it practically useless. Sleep inducers users such as Breloom and Venusaur can also put Dusclops to sleep, stopping it from being able to set up Trick Room. Knock Off users, such as Scrafty, Bisharp, Landorus-T, and Conkeldurr can not only hit Dusclops for super effective damage, but can also removes its Eviolite, making Dusclops a lot easier to take out.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers,(RC) such as Charizard Y, Heatran, Shaymin-Sky, and Latios don't mind Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate back with a powerful STAB attack. Special attackers with access to reliable recovery can also effectively stall Dusclops out.

GP 1/2

edit: really sorry calm, forgot to use a placeholder and I was halfway through my check when you posted :[
Ok, all implemented, thanks so much!

This is ready for its second check :D

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########

Dusclops is one of the most durable Trick Room setters due to a number of factors. The first is its great bulk when equipped with Eviolite, which allows it to take almost any two hits and set up Trick Room. Its base 20 Speed compliments this nicely, as it makes Dusclops extremely fast under Trick Room as well. Dusclops also has a nice support movepool that includes gems such as Will-O-Wisp, Helping Hand, Taunt, and Disable, which allows it to support its team with ease. Its Ghost typing also gives it the added benefit of being able to take on top-tier threats such as Mega Kangaskhan with relative ease. However, Dusclops has a long list of shortcomings that stop it from being a common sight in the Doubles metagame. Dusclops It has extremely low offensive presence, (remove comma) and must rely on Night Shade for damage, which means that it can find itself often making it a sitting duck on the battlefield during different points in the match. While other Trick Room setters can run Mental Herb and Safety Goggles to help ensure that Trick Room gets set up, Dusclops is helpless against common anti-Trick Room tactics such as Taunt, Spore, and Sleep Powder, which can prevent it from doing its job. The large rise in the use of Knock Off has also hurt Dusclops a ton, as it is now much more vulnerable to losing its previous Eviolite. Finally, Dusclops's lack of reliable recovery outside of Pain Split means it can find itself getting worn down quite easily throughout the course of the match.

Defensive Trick Room
################

Moves
======

Trick Room is the most important move on this set, as it allows Dusclops to make slower teammates much faster. Will-O-Wisp is another important move, as it's great for cripples physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Garchomp. Night Shade is Dusclops's only real way to do direct damage to the opponent, (remove comma) and is preferred over Seismic Toss due to its ability to hit Ghost-types. Helping Hand is used in the last spot in order to boost the power of your teammates' a partner's next move. Taunt can be used in the last slot as well, as Dusclops can Taunt quickly when under Trick Room, stopping support moves such as Spore, Protect, opposing Taunt, and opposing Trick Room. It should be noted, however, that Taunt is only really effective under Trick Room, as Dusclops is much too slow to utilize Taunt well outside of it otherwise. Finally, Disable can also be used in the last slot to stop your opponent from using a move, which can potentially save a teammate from fainting that can take Dusclops's partner out.

Set Details
=========

Eviolite is the best item for Dusclops, as it boosts Dusclops's boosting its defensive stats to sky-high levels and makes it so that ensuring that Dusclops is not outclassed by its evolution, Dusknoir. Pressure is used on Dusclops as it is the only ability legal with Helping Hand. If Helping Hand is not being used, however, then Frisk is the preferred ability in order to scout your opponent's item. The EVs give Dusclops balanced defenses, allowing it to take hits both physical and special hits. A Sassy nature further helps balance Dusclops's stats while also speeding it up under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs are used to further boost Dusclops's Speed (technically, 0 IVs lowers its Speed stat) speed up Dusclops under Trick Room. Pain Split is another option for the fourth slot, as it gives Dusclops a way to heal its HP; it is unreliable, however, and means that Dusclops must forgo a support move.

Usage Tips
=========

Only lead with Dusclops if you have a quick Taunt, Fake Out, or Safeguard user, as Trick Room leads can be quite obvious. It is usually best to pivot Dusclops into the battle to maximize your momentum. Taunt users such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados completely shut Dusclops down. As such, if you see one of these Pokemon in Team Preview, it is best to either send Dusclops in when these Pokemon have been eliminated or wait until you know you it can set up Trick Room safely. Dusclops is best paired with either a support Pokemon to help guarantee that Trick Room goes up, or an offensive Pokemon who that can make up for Dusclops's its terrible offensive presence. Night Shade is best used to put sufficiently weaken your opponent's Pokemon into a range where so that your other Pokemon can KO it them.

Team Options
===========

Pokemon who that appreciate Trick Room are almost necessary partners for Dusclops, as they can take advantage of the move it's meant to set up. Notable Trick Room attackers include Heatran, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, and Mega Mawile. A second Pokemon to set up Trick Room, (add comma) such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Jellicent, can be helpful for when Dusclops has been taken out. Fake Out users such as Hitmontop and Scrafty are very helpful, as they can immobilize one of your opponent's Pokemon and almost guarantee Trick Room is set up. Rage Powder and Follow Me users such Amoonguss and Togekiss can also help make sure Dusclops sets Trick Room up. Safeguard users, such as Cresselia and Meowstic, can help Dusclops avoid Spore, meaning that it can set up Trick Room more easily. Dark-type Pokemon make great partners for Dusclops, as they resist the two types that Dusclops it is weak to. Scrafty has Fake Out and can beat both Dark- and Ghost-types with its dual STABs, while Bisharp receives a Defiant boost from Scrafty's Intimidate and has priority Sucker Punch. Fast Taunt users, (remove comma) such as Terrakion and Prankster Thundurus, (remove comma) are also helpful due to their ability to Taunt slower Taunt users before they Taunt Dusclops gets Taunted. (I know it's obvious, but in this sentence "they" can refer to Terrakion and Thundurus too)

Other Options
##########

Dusclops has a few other options at its disposal. The first are Rain Dance and Sunny Day, which can be used on dedicated weather teams looking for weather support. However, Dusclops can't hold Damp Rock or Heat Rock due to its dependence on Eviolite, making these sets outclassed by other weather setters. Gravity is an interesting move that Dusclops has access to, and it can be used by teams looking to take advantage of the move powerful, inaccurate moves. Imprison + Protect can be helpful to prevent the opponent's from stalling Trick Room turns with Protect, but it usually isn't worth the moveslots. Skill Swap can be used to cripple Pokemon reliant on their abilities, such as Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan. Swagger can also be used in tandem with Lum Berry to give your teammate an Attack boost. Finally, Haze can be used to stop your opponent from setting up, as well as neutralize Intimidate on your side of the field.

Checks & Counters:
##############

**Utility Moves**: Taunt, Spore, Sleep Powder, and Knock Off both greatly hinder Dusclops's ability to support its team. Taunt users, such as Thundurus, Terrakion, and Gyarados, all force Dusclops to resort to Night Shade, making it practically useless. Sleep-inducers users such as Breloom and Venusaur can also put Dusclops to sleep, stopping it from being able to set up Trick Room. Knock Off users, (remove comma) such as Scrafty, Bisharp, Landorus-T, and Conkeldurr can not only hit Dusclops for super effective damage, but also remove its Eviolite, making Dusclops it a lot easier to take out.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Shaymin-S, and Latios don't mind Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate back with a powerful STAB attack. Special attackers with access to reliable recovery can also effectively stall Dusclops out.

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)