Dusclops

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

DUSCLOPS - GHOST
40 / 70 / 130 / 60 / 130 / 25
Pressure: Doubles PP Usage.​

Lv1: Fire Punch, Lv1: Ice Punch, Lv1: ThunderPunch, Lv1: Gravity, Lv1: Bind, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Night Shade, Lv1: Disable, Lv6: Disable, Lv9: Foresight, Lv14: Astonish, Lv17: Confuse Ray, Lv22: Shadow Sneak, Lv25: Pursuit, Lv30: Curse, Lv33: Will-o-Wisp, Lv37: Shadow Punch, Lv42: [M506], Lv49: Mean Look, Lv58: Payback, Lv61: Future Sight

Imprison
Destiny Bond
Pain Split
Grudge
Memento
Faint Attack
Ominous Wind
Dark Pulse
Skill Swap

TM04 - Calm Mind, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM19 - Telekinesis, TM21 - Frustration, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM41 - Torment, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM56 - Fling, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM63 - Embargo, TM66 - Payback, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM77 - Psych Up, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM92 - Trick Room, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM04 - Strength

Pre Evolution Stone: Raises Def and Sp.Def 50% for an Not Fully Evolved Pokemon.

I know you may be thinking "WTF? Why not Dusknoir??", but there's a purpose. When Dusclops is holding the Pre evolution Stone, he becomes bulkier than Dusknoir and Deathkan. He reaches an amazing 591 Defense with it, and has good Sp.Def too. He can also Will-O-Wisp things and use Pain Split for healing.

Potential Sets:

Wall
Dusknoir @ Pre Evolution Stone
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def Bold
~Shadow Punch / ThunderPunch / Ice Punch
~Seismic Toss
~Will-O-Wisp
~Pain Split

-Much Higher Defense compared to other Ghost- Walls

-Access to Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split, to make him even bulkier.

-Pairing Dusclops With Blissey would be a good Walling Combo, Since Blissey can take on the Special Attackers and can Wish out to Dusclops, while Duclops takes on the Physical Attackers that plague Blissey.

Rest-Talker:
Dusclops @ Pre Evolution Stone
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
~Night Shade
~Will-O-Wisp
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

-Has a form of recovery other than Pain Split.

-Can PP Stall things / Stall them with Will-O-Wisp

Opinions?

Defenses are scary for sure, but the problem is this is shaping up to be a very offensive meta, and dusk can't really do much besides inflict status or stall a bit.

Also pain split is VERY unreliable and shouldn't even be counted as a means of recovery. This is coming from a long term Dusknoir user :P

What could this guy possibly do to threats such as shadow tag Shanderra (just to name one off the top of my head)? 40 base hp would be ripped to shreads.

Could Dusclops just be an ass and use Calm Mind?

whatever evs, nature etc

-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/ Rest
-Pain Split/ Sleep Talk/ Will-o-Wisp

I know, Dusclops special attack sucks... but with Will-o-Wisp and Calm Mind raising your SpD Dusclops could go on forever. Or maybe not.
Just throwing this out there.

Wouldn't "unevolved" imply Duskull? Dusclops is technically not "unevolved" since it in fact evolves from Duskull.

Actually, it applies to both. Non-evolved pokemon such as Duskull will get a 50% boost to both defensive stats, pokemon who are evolved, but still have a stage to go (such as Duskclops) get a 30% boost to both defensive stats, and fully evolved pokemon get... nothing.

EDIT: Ninja'd...

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

whatever evs, nature etc

-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/ Rest

I know, Dusclops special attack sucks... but with Will-o-Wisp and Calm Mind raising your SpD Dusclops could go on forever. Or maybe not.
I was thinking about making a Bold CM moveset. Great minds think alike. :D

Actually, it applies to both. Non-evolved pokemon such as Duskull will get a 50% boost to both defensive stats, pokemon who are evolved, but still have a stage to go (such as Duskclops) get a 30% boost to both defensive stats, and fully evolved pokemon get... nothing.

EDIT: Ninja'd...
No, even second-stage evolutions still get the full boost. The 30% increase was a miscalculation.

Manaphy

Defenses are scary for sure, but the problem is this is shaping up to be a very offensive meta, and dusk can't really do much besides inflict status or stall a bit.
Just to get you a feel on how good his Defenses are, they are in the Base 200+ Range. That's Bulkier than Deoxys-D, which says a lot. Now, Dusclops can also Use Will-O-Wisp, so basically any non-Fire/Guts Physical Attacker is screwed against Dusclops. Shanderra could be a Problem, but you do live his Shadow Ball IIRC and you do hit him SE, so it's not like it could come in and set up +6 CMs and a Substitite.

Just to get you a feel on how good his Defenses are, they are in the Base 200+ Range. That's Bulkier than Deoxys-D, which says a lot. Now, Dusclops can also Use Will-O-Wisp, so basically any non-Fire/Guts Physical Attacker is scrweed against Dusclops. Shanderra could be a Problem, but you do live his Shadow Ball IIRC and you do hit him SE, so it's not like it could come in and set up +6 CMs and a a Substitite.

I can't see this being used much in OU especially since he loses the lefties, but I'm just looking at this realistically. He really can't do anything to special sweepers besides wall them, and since he lacks a reliable recovery, he'll be downed easier than you seem to think.

Again, 200 base defenses are huge, but sandstorm/rocks and no leftovers will do him in.

Manaphy

I can't see this being used much in OU especially since he loses the lefties, but I'm just looking at this realistically. He really can't do anything to special sweepers besides wall them, and since he lacks a reliable recovery, he'll be downed easier than you seem to think.

Again, 200 base defenses are huge, but sandstorm/rocks and no leftovers will do him in.
Sanstorm is going be dramatically less Common due to Politoed and Ninetales, (Also Dusclops Walls a lot of the Swift Swimmers) The loss of lefties doesn't hurt it as much as you think.

The Reliable Recovery Part seems to be the biggest issue, but that can be fixed with Wish. Which gives me an Idea, Pairing Dusclops With Blissey would be a good Walling Combo, Since Blissey can take on the Special Attackers and can Wish out to Dusclops, while Duclops takes on the Physical Attackers that plague Blissey.

Sanstorm is going be dramatically less Common due to Politoed and Ninetales, (Also Dusclops Walls a lot of the Swift Swimmers) The loss of lefties doesn't hurt it as much as you think.

The Reliable Recovery Part seems to be the biggest issue, but that can be fixed with Wish. Which gives me an Idea, Pairing Dusclops With Blissey would be a good Walling Combo, Since Blissey can take on the Special Attackers and can Wish out to Dusclops, while Duclops takes on the Physical Attackers that plague Blissey.
Adding to that, it could maybe even stop those pesky Psychics that attempt to stop Blissey with their new toy, Psycho Shock.
Considering their other attacks aren't STAB'ed, it can hit them with STAB/Night Shade(almost guarantees 3HKO to most psychics) and the pre-evolution stone to bump his SpD to respectable levels.
However, the super effective shadow ball which is carried by just about any Psychic sweeper might be problematic.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Something about Dusclop's 70 Atk screams Use Night Shade
in one of the pre-4th gen games i believe duskull/dusclops could be Tutored to learn both Night Shade & Seismic Toss.

WoW/Pain Split/Night Shade/Seismic Toss looks okay to me
(Duskull can learn Pain Split from the HGSS tutor so it is not an egg move keeping this a legal set)

whatever evs, nature etc

-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/ Rest

I think it might just be best to go with Calm Mind/Ice Beam/Rest/Sleep Talk since right now, Toxic Spikes kills it. Come to think of it, this might actually work better than Stallrein if you can somehow keep them from setting up since they can't spin away your entry hazards.

Edit: Duskull got Pain Split in Gen 3 by breeding it with Misdreavous so Pain Split+Seismic Toss wouldn't be an illegal combination.

Manaphy

in one of the pre-4th gen games i believe duskull/dusclops could be Tutored to learn both Night Shade & Seismic Toss.

WoW/Pain Split/Night Shade/Seismic Toss looks okay to me
(Duskull can learn Pain Split from the HGSS tutor so it is not an egg move keeping this a legal set)
He learns Seismic Toss and Night Shade?

I'm putting that in..

With such huge defenses has anyone considered maybe...mean look & ghost curse? It's such a fun combo, but seldom used due to cutting 1/2 your own HP. If he can take a hit at half, he could rest?

Why not go with a Calm or Careful nature, run 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def? If he has access to Will-o-wisp, he can take still take advantage of his monstrous Defense while sporting a high Sp. Def as well, right?

I miss lefties on sets like this but I guess it's a necessary evil...+50% is ALOT. Seems too much to be true.

Edit: Taken from the thread about the item this whole thing is based around:

Wichu said:
Just tested the item.
For unevolved Pokémon that can evolve (e.g. Munchlax, Gligar, Porygon), it boosts both defenses by 50%.
For middle-stage Pokémon (e.g. Porygon2, Dusclops, Chansey), it boosts them only by 30%.
For unevolved Pokémon that don't evolve (e.g. Heracross, Dunsparce, Suicune), it has no effect.

EDIT: It would be great for a few more people to test, though. I might be wrong with those numbers (I'm pretty certain, though).

I miss lefties on sets like this but I guess it's a necessary evil...+50% is ALOT. Seems too much to be true.

Edit: Taken from the thread about the item this whole thing is based around:
To clarify something though/avoid confusion, as Wichu noted a bit later in that same thread...
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3015398&postcount=68

By the way, I double-checked the damage calculations, and it turns out I made a mistake. The 1.5x boost applies to all NFE Pokémon, including middle-stage ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)