PU Dusknoir

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
QC: WhiteDMist / Anty / Galbia
GP: GatoDelFuego / P Squared
Original Skeleton by: Psywaves

Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker, with its Ghost typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable, physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of coverage moves. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak and Trick to cripple opposing foes. Unfortunately, a lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Shadow Sneak
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
move 4: Trick / Pursuit
ability: Frisk
item: Choice Band
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash super effectively. Ice Punch hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff and Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Poliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by locking it into a single move with Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. Running 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout a foe's item, as it helps against foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to keep entry hazards from being removed. Use Trick to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela, as they can shrug off any of its attacks with ease, but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge against frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter, as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-types such as Dodrio and Jumpluff get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle benefit from Dusknoir's ability to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Mightyena and Poliwrath can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciate Dusknoir's ability to Pursuit trap Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Sand Rush Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Arbok, make for good partners. Pokemon that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, such as Tangela, make for good partners as well; examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past, such as Avalugg, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature with Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak, but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist-XL, which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move while bluffing being Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their STAB attacks, but they must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard is running Pursuit, it can hit Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out. Knock Off users in general cripple Dusknoir by removing its Choice Band; without its Choice Band, Dusknoir lacks offensive presence.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Carracosta, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir. Poliwrath and Pelipper can cripple Dusknoir with status by means of Scald, Avalugg can heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks with Recover or retaliate with Avalanche, Carracosta can use Knock Off to remove Dusknoir's Choice Band, and Tangela can simply attack Dusknoir with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm. However, most need to be wary of Trick. Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp cripples Dusknoir for the rest of the match by lowering its Attack, while Toxic puts Dusknoir on a timer by whittling away at its health each turn.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Haunter and Misdreavus can outspeed Dusknoir and hit it hard with their super effective STAB moves, assuming that Dusknoir is not locked into Shadow Sneak. Gourgeist can survive a Shadow Sneak or Ice Punch and proceed to burn Dusknoir with Will-O-Wisp, heal off any damage taken with Synthesis, or 2HKO Dusknoir with Foul Play.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It should have 44 speed to beat base 50's like piloswine to possibly get a free trick off (especcially nice vs knock off lickilicky). Also although i was prolly the one to mention it, i feel pursuit should be moved moves as trick is too important in this metagame filled with pokes like poliwrath and piloswine.
I will go through this in more detail later but just a few tips;
Lickilicky isnt a great team mate as it and noir fit into completely different playstyles
Also you might want to change a bit with the last point in TO like maybe add something like tangela with pelipper as baracle/jumpluff dont really hate pelipper
Also remove cm in oo

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It should have 44 speed to beat base 50's like piloswine to possibly get a free trick off (especcially nice vs knock off lickilicky). Also although i was prolly the one to mention it, i feel pursuit should be moved moves as trick is too important in this metagame filled with pokes like poliwrath and piloswine.
I will go through this in more detail later but just a few tips;
Lickilicky isnt a great team mate as it and noir fit into completely different playstyles
Also you might want to change a bit with the last point in TO like maybe add something like tangela with pelipper as baracle/jumpluff dont really hate pelipper
Also remove cm in oo
Implemented the changes Anty. Can check again.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- Points 2 and 3 are not too necessary, but you can merge them together I guess.

That's about all I can see actually. I'll let the other QC members go through this with a finer tooth combing, but I am satisfied so good job! :)

qc approved
1/3

TONE

Overview
########
- Points 2 and 3 are not too necessary, but you can merge them together I guess.

That's about all I can see actually. I'll let the other QC members go through this with a finer tooth combing, but I am satisfied so good job! :)

qc approved
1/3
Thanks for the check WhiteDMist :)

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
TONE114 it was noted that many parts of this skeleton were copied from the NU Dusknoir analysis. This is not ok. Please do your own work. First thing to do is provide PU specific examples in all areas, especially the Overview, Team Options, and Usage Tips. Secondly, the write up ABSOLUTELY MUST be in your own words. The entire QC team will be keeping an eye on this as well, so make sure you do so. Finally, you need to give credit to the skeleton's original author.

TONE

TONE114 it was noted that many parts of this skeleton were copied from the NU Dusknoir analysis. This is not ok. Please do your own work. First thing to do is provide PU specific examples in all areas, especially the Overview, Team Options, and Usage Tips. Secondly, the write up ABSOLUTELY MUST be in your own words. The entire QC team will be keeping an eye on this as well, so make sure you do so. Finally, you need to give credit to the skeleton's original author.
I pretty much reworked the entire analysis while still keeping the points Anty mentioned previously mentioned. It wasn't my intention to copy from another person's work, but I'll refrain from doing so in future analysis I write.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is looking really good, in TO give examples of pokes which appreciate pursuit, as you are only using it for team mates who hate psychics (and to a lesser extent, ghosts)

TONE114 QC 2/3

TONE

This is looking really good, in TO give examples of pokes which appreciate pursuit, as you are only using it for team mates who hate psychics (and to a lesser extent, ghosts)

TONE114 QC 2/3
Implemented. Thans for the check Anty.

TONE

Analysis has been written and is ready for a final check.

Add dwebble to entry hazards users and simipour to tpunch targets as dusknoir is a nice check

3/3

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AM check
Add
Remove
Comment

Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker thanks to its Ghost-typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types in the tier as a spinblocker such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of other coverage moves at its disposal. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak, (RC) and Trick to cripple opposing foes (explain how Trick cripples foes and what you would use it against). A lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB, and thanks to its priority attack and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash. Ice Punch is a nice option in the third slot, as it hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super-(RH)effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to nail the likes of hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by forcing it to be locked locking it into a single move because of Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boosts boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible at the cost of being locked into a move. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, as it helps aganist against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as picking helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to block entry hazards from being removed from the opponent's side of the field. Use Trick on to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir have has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela (how does Dusknoir struggle against them?), but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge aganist frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-tyes such as Dodrio and Jumpluff gets get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle help Dusknoir function as a spinblocker to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry by means of hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weakness, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciates appreciate Dusknoir's Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, (AC- this sentence implies that Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Stoutland are Ghost- and Psychic-types) such as Sand Rush Stoutland, the aforementioned Poliwrath, and Arbok, (AC) makes make for good partners. Pokemon who that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, (AC) such as Tangela, (AC) make for good partners as well.; (change period to semicolon) Examples examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has a multitude of coverage options at its disposal, several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can opt to run a SubPunch set run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being played used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past such as Avalugg, (AC) while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can opt to run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish Nature nature (what moves would such a set be running?), but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist (which one?), (AC) which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB attacks while bluffing being choice locked Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type pokemon Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their respective STAB attacks, but must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard happens to be is running Pursuit, then they it can hit a Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir and either cripple it with status, set up themselves their offenses, heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks, Knock Off remove Dusknoir's Choice Band with Knock Off, or just simply deal more damage to it attack Dusknoir, though most need to be wary of Trick. (This is very difficult to follow; do your best to specifically state what each of your examples will do to Dusknoir.) Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp cripples Dusknoir for the rest of the match (how so?), while Toxic puts Dusknoir on a timer (again, how so?).

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Haunter and Misdreavus can outspeed Dusknoir and hit Dusknoir it hard with their super effective STAB moves and outspeed Dusknoir, assuming that Dusknoir is not locked into Shadow Sneak. Gourgeist can live survive a Shadow Sneak or Ice Punch and proceed to burn Dusknoir with Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, heal off any damage taken with Synthesis, or 2HKO Dusknoir with Foul Play.

TONE

AM check
Add
Remove
Comment

Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker thanks to its Ghost-typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types in the tier as a spinblocker such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of other coverage moves at its disposal. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak, (RC) and Trick to cripple opposing foes (explain how Trick cripples foes and what you would use it against). A lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB, and thanks to its priority attack and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash. Ice Punch is a nice option in the third slot, as it hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super-(RH)effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to nail the likes of hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by forcing it to be locked locking it into a single move because of Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boosts boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible at the cost of being locked into a move. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, as it helps aganist against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as picking helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to block entry hazards from being removed from the opponent's side of the field. Use Trick on to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir have has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela (how does Dusknoir struggle against them?), but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge aganist frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-tyes such as Dodrio and Jumpluff gets get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle help Dusknoir function as a spinblocker to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry by means of hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weakness, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciates appreciate Dusknoir's Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, (AC- this sentence implies that Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Stoutland are Ghost- and Psychic-types) such as Sand Rush Stoutland, the aforementioned Poliwrath, and Arbok, (AC) makes make for good partners. Pokemon who that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, (AC) such as Tangela, (AC) make for good partners as well.; (change period to semicolon) Examples examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has a multitude of coverage options at its disposal, several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can opt to run a SubPunch set run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being played used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past such as Avalugg, (AC) while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can opt to run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish Nature nature (what moves would such a set be running?), but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist (which one?), (AC) which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB attacks while bluffing being choice locked Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type pokemon Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their respective STAB attacks, but must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard happens to be is running Pursuit, then they it can hit a Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir and either cripple it with status, set up themselves their offenses, heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks, Knock Off remove Dusknoir's Choice Band with Knock Off, or just simply deal more damage to it attack Dusknoir, though most need to be wary of Trick. (This is very difficult to follow; do your best to specifically state what each of your examples will do to Dusknoir.) Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp cripples Dusknoir for the rest of the match (how so?), while Toxic puts Dusknoir on a timer (again, how so?).

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Haunter and Misdreavus can outspeed Dusknoir and hit Dusknoir it hard with their super effective STAB moves and outspeed Dusknoir, assuming that Dusknoir is not locked into Shadow Sneak. Gourgeist can live survive a Shadow Sneak or Ice Punch and proceed to burn Dusknoir with Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, heal off any damage taken with Synthesis, or 2HKO Dusknoir with Foul Play.
Amcheck implemented. Thanks for the lookthrough Snobalt.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TONE114

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker, (AC) with thanks to its Ghost typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable, (AC) physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of coverage moves. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak and Trick to cripple opposing foes by locking them into a move such as Avalugg and Tangela who have no problems taking any of Dusknoir's attacks. A lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash. Ice Punch hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by locking it into a single move because of with Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible at the cost of being locked into a move. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, as it helps against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to block keep entry hazards from being removed from the opponent's side of the field. Use Trick to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela, (AC) as they can shrug off any of its attacks with ease, but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge against frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter, (AC) as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-types such as Dodrio and Jumpluff get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Entry hazard setters such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle help Dusknoir function as a spinblocker benefit from Dusknoir's ability to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciate Dusknoir's Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Sand Rush Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Arbok, make for good partners. Pokemon that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, such as Tangela, make good partners as well; examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past such as Avalugg, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature with Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak, but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist-XL, which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move while bluffing being Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their STAB attacks, but must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard is running Pursuit, then it can hit Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir. (period) Poliwrath and Pelipper can and either cripple it Dusknoir with status by means of Scald from Poliwrath and Pelipper, set up their offenses, Avalugg can heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks with Recover or retaliate with Avalanche, X can remove Dusknoir's Choice Band with Knock Off, and Tangela can simply attack Dusknoir with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm. (period) However, though most need to be wary of Trick. Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp cripples Dusknoir for the rest of the match by lowering its Attack, while Toxic puts Dusknoir on a timer by whittling away at its health which each turn.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Haunter and Misdreavus can outspeed Dusknoir and hit it hard with their super effective STAB moves, assuming that Dusknoir is not locked into Shadow Sneak. Gourgeist can survive a Shadow Sneak or Ice Punch and proceed to burn Dusknoir with Will-O-Wisp, heal off any damage taken with Synthesis, or 2HKO Dusknoir with Foul Play.

1/2

Last edited:

TONE

TONE114

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker, (AC) with thanks to its Ghost typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable, (AC) physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of coverage moves. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak and Trick to cripple opposing foes by locking them into a move such as Avalugg and Tangela who have no problems taking any of Dusknoir's attacks. A lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash. Ice Punch hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by locking it into a single move because of with Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible at the cost of being locked into a move. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, as it helps against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to block keep entry hazards from being removed from the opponent's side of the field. Use Trick to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela, (AC) as they can shrug off any of its attacks with ease, but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge against frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter, (AC) as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-types such as Dodrio and Jumpluff get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Entry hazard setters such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle help Dusknoir function as a spinblocker benefit from Dusknoir's ability to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciate Dusknoir's Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Sand Rush Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Arbok, make for good partners. Pokemon that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, such as Tangela, make good partners as well; examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past such as Avalugg, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature with Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak, but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist-XL, which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move while bluffing being Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their STAB attacks, but must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard is running Pursuit, then it can hit Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir. (period) Poliwrath and Pelipper can and either cripple it Dusknoir with status by means of Scald from Poliwrath and Pelipper, set up their offenses, Avalugg can heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks with Recover or retaliate with Avalanche, X can remove Dusknoir's Choice Band with Knock Off, and Tangela can simply attack Dusknoir with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm. (period) However, though most need to be wary of Trick. Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

**Status**: Will-O-Wisp cripples Dusknoir for the rest of the match by lowering its Attack, while Toxic puts Dusknoir on a timer by whittling away at its health which each turn.

1/2
Implented. Thanks for the two checks GatoDelFuego.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2 :)
add remove comment
Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker, with its Ghost(remove dash)typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable, physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of coverage moves. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak and Trick to cripple opposing foes. Unfortunately, a lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash super effectively. Ice Punch hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting and Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath Poliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by locking it into a single move with Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. Running 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, (aren't all foes opposing? hehe) as it helps against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to keep entry hazards from being removed. Use Trick to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela, as they can shrug off any of its attacks with ease, but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge againist against frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter, as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-types such as Dodrio and Jumpluff get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle benefit from Dusknoir's ability to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena and Poliwrath (did that to match order) can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciate Dusknoir's ability to Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Sand Rush Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Arbok, make for good partners. Pokemon that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, such as Tangela, make for good partners as well; examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past(comma) such as Avalugg, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature with Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak, but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist-XL, which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move while bluffing being Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their STAB attacks, but they must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard is running Pursuit, then it can hit Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Carracosta, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir. Poliwrath and Pelipper can cripple Dusknoir with status by means of Scald(period, or comma? up to you) Avalugg can heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks with Recover or retaliate with Avalanche, Carracosta can use Knock Off to remove Dusknoir's Choice Band, and Tangela can simply attack Dusknoir with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm. However, most need to be wary of Trick. Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

TONE

GP 2/2 :)
add remove comment
Overview
########

Dusknoir carves out a niche for itself in PU as a bulky, offensive spinblocker, with its Ghost(remove dash)typing giving it an immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. However, Dusknoir faces competition from other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, Haunter, and Gourgeist. Dusknoir also lacks a strong, reliable, physical Ghost-type STAB attack despite having a wide range of coverage moves. It does set itself apart from other Ghost-types in the tier with a priority move in Shadow Sneak and Trick to cripple opposing foes. Unfortunately, a lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest also hinders Dusknoir's ability to reliably spinblock over the course of a match.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move and serves as a means to bypass Dusknoir's poor Speed. Earthquake provides great neutral coverage alongside Shadow Sneak, hitting Steel-types such as Pawniard and Probopass as well as Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash super effectively. Ice Punch hits Grass-types such as Roselia and Jumpluff, while also hitting and Ground-types such as Marowak and Torterra super effectively. Alternatively, Thunder Punch can be used to hit Pelipper, Simipour, and Polliwrath Poliwrath harder while still hitting Flying-types such as Dodrio, Togetic, and Ninjask. Trick can cripple an opposing wall by locking it into a single move with Choice Band. Pursuit is an option over Trick, as it allows Dusknoir to take advantage of switches forced against frail Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Haunter and Kadabra.

Set Details
========

212 HP EVs and maximum Attack EVs boost Dusknoir's overall bulk and offensive presence. Running 44 EVs in Speed allows Dusknoir to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Piloswine and possibly cripple them with Trick. An Adamant nature gives an additional boost to Dusknoir's Attack stat. Choice Band is the preferred item, as it provides Dusknoir with a means to hit as hard as possible. Frisk is the preferred ability to scout an opposing foe's item, (aren't all foes opposing? hehe) as it helps against opposing foes bluffing being Choice-locked as well as helping you pick the best time to use Trick.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Dusknoir in on a predicted Rapid Spin to keep entry hazards from being removed. Use Trick to cripple Pokemon Dusknoir has trouble with such as Avalugg and Tangela, as they can shrug off any of its attacks with ease, but keep in mind that Dusknoir's attacking power will be limited without Choice Band. If Pursuit is run in the last moveslot, use it as a means to get the edge againist against frail Pokemon such as Kadabra and Haunter, as both fear Shadow Sneak. Be mindful of what move Dusknoir locks itself into. Normal- and Dark-types such as Stoutland and Pawniard can take advantage of Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak, while Flying-types such as Dodrio and Jumpluff get a free turn on Dusknoir locked into Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Whirlipede, Dwebble, Roselia, Probopass, and Barbaracle benefit from Dusknoir's ability to keep entry hazards up. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Purugly are solid partners for Dusknoir, as they stop foes from removing entry hazards with Defog. Dark- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Mightyena and Poliwrath (did that to match order) can cover Dusknoir's Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses, making them good partners. Pokemon that appreciate Dusknoir's ability to Pursuit trapping of Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Sand Rush Stoutland, Poliwrath, and Arbok, make for good partners. Pokemon that appreciate physical walls crippled by Trick, such as Tangela, make for good partners as well; examples include Barbaracle, Carracosta, Ursaring, and Jumpluff.

Other Options
########

Dusknoir has several other coverage moves, such as Fire Punch and Rock Slide, though Dusknoir would rather not give up any of the listed options. Shadow Punch is more powerful than Shadow Sneak, though the move lacks priority and is still weak even with a Choice Band. Dusknoir can run Substitute alongside Focus Punch, though it is better off being used as an offensive spinblocker, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath can run a SubPunch set better. Toxic can be used to wear down walls that Dusknoir has trouble getting past(comma) such as Avalugg, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Pawniard. Dusknoir can run a defensive set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature with Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak, but such a set is generally outclassed by Gourgeist-XL, which has access to reliable recovery in Synthesis. Spell Tag is an option to boost Dusknoir's Ghost-type STAB move while bluffing being Choice-locked.

Checks and Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-type Pokemon such as Pawniard and Mightyena threaten Dusknoir with their STAB attacks, but they must beware of switching in on an attack they don't resist. If Pawniard is running Pursuit, then it can hit Dusknoir locked into Shadow Sneak or Pursuit on the switch for a great amount of damage or set up Swords Dance as Dusknoir switches out.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with good physical bulk, such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, Carracosta, Pelipper, and Tangela, can take at least two hits from Dusknoir. Poliwrath and Pelipper can cripple Dusknoir with status by means of Scald(period, or comma? up to you) Avalugg can heal off damage taken from Dusknoir's attacks with Recover or retaliate with Avalanche, Carracosta can use Knock Off to remove Dusknoir's Choice Band, and Tangela can simply attack Dusknoir with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm. However, most need to be wary of Trick. Many physically bulky Pokemon can take on Dusknoir depending on the move it is locked into.

Implemented. Thanks for the check P Squared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)