LC Duskull [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Which Duskull Set Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Overview
########

At first glance, Duskull may seem like a great wall, but due to its abysmal HP, and its weakness to the ever-present Knock Off, it makes for a mediocre wall at best. Duskull has to rely on status to kill foes, which is not a very effective strategy, as Duskull has no reliable recovery. Duskull finds itself being dead weight for most teams, as it is outclassed in almost everything it can do and cannot successfully harm most of the LC metagame. Duskull's few strengths do not outweigh its many weaknesses, leaving it a poor choice for a slot on a team. That being said, Duskull can be used effectively on some stall teams that rely on entry hazards.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Pain Split
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Shadow Sneak
ability: Levitate
item: Eviolite
evs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Duskull's only form of somewhat reliable recovery comes in Pain Split, and while Duskull can take a few hits, its lack of recovery can really limit how long Duskull can last. Will-O-Wisp is Duskull's most reliable way of dealing damage; it can also cripple some sweepers and limit the potential of physical wallbreakers. Substitute allows Duskull to survive a few more turns and can be used for scouting. Shadow Sneak is Duskull's best way of attacking non-passively due to its priority and Duskull's lack of other decent options. This also helps deal damage to Pokemon such as Abra who could not be damaged by Duskull otherwise.

Set Details
========

Eviolite helps Duskull take hits much better, the EV spread hits Eviolite numbers with a Careful nature. Levitate allows Duskull to avoid Earthquakes.

Usage Tips
========

Will-O-Wisp can be used to burn physical attackers, but you should try to avoid burning Pokemon with Guts such as Timburr. Try and use Substitute on obvious switches or when the opponent has no way to effectively damage Duskull. Substitute can also help to get off a more effective Pain Split. Knock Off is the bane of Duskull's existence, as it removes Duskull's item and does massive damage in the process.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can absorb Knock Off such as Mienfoo, Shellos and Trubbish make for good teammates. Momentum-grabbing moves like U-turn and Volt Switch can effectively be used with Duskull and entry hazard setters. Duskull's niche is that as a Ghost-type, it can keep entry hazards on the field.
Other Options
########

Curse is difficult to utilize because Duskull can be whittled down easily. Toxic isn't very useful, due to how common switches are. Rest and Sleep Talk provide what can be considered reliable recovery, but when Duskull is asleep, it becomes more of setup bait than it already is. Memento can support sweepers, but Duskull is difficult to use on fast-paced teams, due to it being counter-momentous. Hex and Shadow Ball are both STAB moves, but Duskull's low Special Attack means that these attacks will do meager damage to anything even somewhat bulky. Haze can limit setup sweepers, but most sweepers can still beat Duskull without a boost. Taunt could be used, but Duskull's low Speed will usually allow at least one setup or status move to be used before Taunt is deployed. Destiny Bond is very limited due to Duskull's abhorrent Speed.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt**: Taunt can leave Duskull crippled, as it can only use Shadow Sneak to defend itself.
**Ghost types**: Shadow Sneak does not OHKO any relevant Ghost-types, while most can OHKO or 2HKO Duskull with a super effective STAB move.
**Substitute**: If a Substitute user is not weak to Shadow Sneak, it can effectively shut Duskull down.
**Setup Sweepers**: Setup sweepers that do not care about being burned such as Omanyte, Scraggy, and Timburr will continue sweeping like nothing ever happened. As Duskull can not effectively damage them, Duskull is left as set-up bait.
**Clerics and Status absorbers**: Clerics and status absorbers such as Knock Off Lickitung and RestTalk Chinchou can completely shut Duskull down.
**Fire-types**: Fire-types are completely immune to Will-O-Wisp and can shut Duskull down. Ponyta and Larvesta can burn and heal with Morning Sun, while Pokemon like Houndour can easily trap Duskull with Pursuit.
**Knock Off**: Pokemon such as Pawniard, Scraggy, and Mienfoo can use Knock Off to deal significant damage and remove Eviolite, rendering Duskull susceptible to being KOed.

Last edited:
Everything needs to be in bullet points. Furthermore, checks and counters should be formatted like:

**Knock Off**: Knock Off removes Eviolite etc. etc.

Actually, I think the only set should be:

The Undead Cannot Die
########
name: The Undead Cannot Die
evs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpD

Duskull isn't a really good Pokemon, so I don't think a Curse set is all that viable.

Everything needs to be in bullet points. Furthermore, checks and counters should be formatted like:

**Knock Off**: Knock Off removes Eviolite etc. etc.

Actually, I think the only set should be:

The Undead Cannot Die
########
name: The Undead Cannot Die
evs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpD

Duskull isn't a really good Pokemon, so I don't think a Curse set is all that viable.
Yeah, just realized that I needed it in bullet form, but for some reason the commands for bullets don't show up so I'll need to use the manual command codes. The Curse set does okayish, but I'll take it off if anybody else objects. Otherwise, I still kinda want to slash Wisp with Toxic, but I might need to test a little more.

Adding on to Mysteria's post, be sure to implement the format exactly. If you have any other questions as to what the formatting looks like, take a look at another thread in this very sub-forum, preferably one not in paragraph form. The formatting is important for when they upload these analyses to the site. Also, Mysteria's set is much better due to it being less convoluted, as there are much less slashes.

Curse should not be a main set, put that in Other Options, if that. Curse is one of those moves that is hard to utilize well in Little Cup, and it is especially true for the Ghost-type pokemon like Duskull who lack reliable recovery, like Recover. All Curse is doing for Duskull is wearing it down, and making it harder to switch-in on what it wants to. Toxic should also stay in Other Options due to it being a poor status here in Little Cup; Little Cup is such a fast-paced metagame that pokemon very rarely stay in for too long, and most of the time you'd rather want Duskull to burn switch-ins and reduce their Attack stat.

Last edited:
Adding on to Mysteria's post, be sure to implement the format exactly. If you have any other questions as to what the formatting looks like, take a look at another thread in this very sub-forum, preferably one not in paragraph form. The formatting is important for when they upload these analyses to the site. Also, Mysteria's set is much better due to it being less convoluted, as there are much less slashes.

Curse should not be a main set, put that in Other Options, if that. Curse is one of those moves that is hard to utilize good in Little Cup, and it is especially true for the Ghost-type pokemon like Duskull who lack reliable recovery like Recover. All Curse is doing for Duskull is wearing it down, and making it harder to switch-in on what it wants to. Toxic should also stay in Other Options due to it being a poor status here in Little Cup. Little Cup is such a fast-paced metagame that pokemon ver rarely stay in for too long, and most of the time you'd rather want Duskull to burn switch-ins and reduce their Attack stat.
Alright, I'll add all that in when I can get the bullet format done, just recently got teh commands, it'll be in within the next 20 mins or so.

OK, so your bullet points are still kinda weird. If need be, type your points up like this by yourself:

- Eviolite helps tank hits
- 196 HP EVs add to bulk

and so on. If you really want to use bullet points, use this button:

upload_2014-11-11_9-44-54.png

the one on the very left. It's on the toolbar above the text box aka the place you type replies. That will allow for bullet points, so it would look like:

• Eviolite helps tank hits
  • 196 HP EVs add to bulk
Set Details
========
  • Eviolite is used for tanking hits to a better extent and is Duskull's claim to fame.
  • The EVs are useful for tanking specially-based attacks.
  • The careful nature adds a boost to the already great Sp. D

ok, gl

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
You're overselling Duskull's viability here; Duskull is honestly quite terrible at best and almost never worth a team slot, and this needs to be emphasized.
Normally the Overview is in bullet points as well at this stage in the analysis, but since you've already written it up, I'll just edit my suggestions in:

Despite its high Defense and Special Defense stats, Duskull makes for a mediocre wall because of its abysmal HP stat and weakness to the omnipresent Knock Off. A lack of offensive presence forces Duskull to rely on status moves to wear down its opposition, a mostly ineffective strategy due to Duskull's lack of reliable recovery. More often than not, Duskull will find itself a dead weight, as it is outclassed in almost anything it can do and is simply unable to significantly harm the majority of the metagame. Duskull's strengths are far too badly offset by its far more prominent weaknesses, rendering it an overall poor choice for a team.

Feel free to reword, but I think you understand what I'm trying to emphasize.
I would also like to mention that Stall teams are actually quite strong right now, but Duskull doesn't function very well on them due to its lack of decent recovery options (Pain Split isn't reliable at all) while not being able to offer much in return for the support it would require to last (considering how it has less survivability than the Rapid Spinners it's trying to block).

The Undead Cannot Die:
A more appropriate name for this set would probably be "Utility".
Change the EV spread to 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD, maintaining the current nature.

Moves:
Remove Rest and Protect from the descriptions because they're not in the main set and not really worth using anyway.

Set Details:
Eviolite is not Duskull's claim to fame; Eviolite is arguably the single best item in LC, and there are far more Pokemon that can effectively use it than otherwise.
Describe the EV spread I suggested earlier instead here. 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD with a Careful nature hits Eviolite numbers and maximizes Duskull's mixed bulk.

Usage Tips:
Remove the point you currently have because it isn't really saying anything.
Mention what not to burn (like on Guts users such as Timburr).
Mention when to use Substitute (like on predicted switches).
Mention that Duskull should be wary of Knock Off.

Team Options:
I don't see why Duskull is a particularly effective teammate to what was described in the first and third points, so remove those.
Mention Knock Off absorbers, such as Trubbish and Mienfoo, as possible teammates.
Mention hazard setters, such as Ferroseed, because Duskull can hinder Rapid Spin attempts once or twice.

Other Options:
Describe why the given moves are not worth using (Confuse Ray is unreliable, Duskull doesn't need to cut down on its survivability any more with Curse, Toxic doesn't offer as much as Will-O-Wisp).
Add Rest + Sleep Talk as a possible method of more reliable recovery than Pain Split, but mention that this will leave Duskull as even worse set-up bait than it already is.
Mention Memento as a possible method of supporting fast sweepers, but that Duskull should generally not be used on offensive teams due to how badly it reduces momentum.
Mention Shadow Ball and Hex as possible STAB moves, but that Duskull's pitiful Special Attack means that these can easily be shrugged off by anything remotely bulky.

Checks and Counters:
Since we changed the EV spread, remove all of the current sections except for the Knock Off section. Just for future reference, neither Munchlax or Dratini are very good sweepers by any stretch, and Scraggy isn't top tier, either.
Mention that Knock Off will also heavily damage Duskull in addition to removing its Eviolite. Give examples of strong Knock Off users (Pawniard, Mienfoo, Scraggy).
Add a section on Fire-types because they are immune to Will-O-Wisp. Ponyta and Larvesta can burn and whittle Duskull down while utilizing Morning Sun to easily outlast Duskull, while Houndour can put Duskull in a checkmate position with Pursuit.
Add a section on clerics and status absorbers, such as Knock Off Lickitung and RestTalk Chinchou, because they can heal off Will-O-Wisp and wear Duskull down while Duskull will struggle to do anything in return with its weak Shadow Sneak.
Add a section on Set-up sweepers that do not mind burn, such as Timburr, Omanyte, and Scraggy, who can take advantage of Duskull's lack of offensive presence to freely set up.
Add a section on Substitute and mention that it almost entirely neutralizes Duskull if the user is not weak to Shadow Sneak.

Just for future reference, neither Munchlax nor Dratini are relevant physical sweepers in the current metagame.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude at any point, but a Duskull analysis is pretty tough to write given how Duskull is sort of really bad. I'm going to withhold QC for the time being because a good portion of the analysis is being rewritten, so I just want to make sure that neither of us miss anything significant; if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
OK, so your bullet points are still kinda weird. If need be, type your points up like this by yourself:

- Eviolite helps tank hits
- 196 HP EVs add to bulk

and so on. If you really want to use bullet points, use this button:

View attachment 29781

the one on the very left. It's on the toolbar above the text box aka the place you type replies. That will allow for bullet points, so it would look like:

• Eviolite helps tank hits
  • 196 HP EVs add to bulk
Set Details
========
  • Eviolite is used for tanking hits to a better extent and is Duskull's claim to fame.
  • The EVs are useful for tanking specially-based attacks.
  • The careful nature adds a boost to the already great Sp. D

ok, gl
For some apparent, the text box does not appear for me ;-;, but I'll try to fix it up.

Overview:
You're drastically overshooting Duskull's viability here; Duskull is honestly absolutely terrible at best and almost never worth a team slot, and this needs to be emphasized.
Normally the Overview is in bullet points as well at this stage in the analysis, but since you've already written it up, I'll just edit my suggestions in:

Despite its high Defense and Special Defense stats, Duskull makes for a mediocre wall because of its abysmal HP stat and weakness to the omnipresent Knock Off. A lack of offensive presence forces Duskull to rely on status moves to wear down its opposition, a mostly ineffective strategy due to Duskull's lack of reliable recovery. More often than not, Duskull will find itself a dead weight, as it is outclassed in almost anything it can do and is simply unable to significantly harm the majority of the metagame. Duskull's strengths are far too badly offset by its far more prominent weaknesses, rendering it an overall poor choice for a team.

I would also like to mention that Stall teams are actually quite strong right now, but Duskull doesn't function very well on them due to its lack of decent recovery options (Pain Split isn't reliable at all) while not being able to offer much in return for the support it would require to last (considering how it has less survivability than the Rapid Spinners it's trying to block).

The Undead Cannot Die:
Change the EV spread to 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD, maintaining the current nature.

Moves:
Remove Rest and Protect from the descriptions because they're not in the main set and not really worth using anyway.

Set Details:
Eviolite is not Duskull's claim to fame; Eviolite is arguably the single best item in LC, and there are far more Pokemon that can effectively use it than otherwise.
Describe the EV spread I suggested earlier instead here. 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD with a Careful nature hits Eviolite numbers and maximizes Duskull's mixed bulk.

Usage Tips:

Team Options:
I don't see why Duskull is a particularly effective teammate to what was described in the first and third points, so remove those.
Mention Knock Off absorbers, such as Trubbish and Mienfoo, as possible teammates.
Mention hazard setters, such as Ferroseed, because Duskull can hinder Rapid Spin attempts once or twice.

Other Options:
Describe why the given moves are not worth using (Confuse Ray is unreliable, Duskull doesn't need to cut down on its survivability any more with Curse, Toxic doesn't offer as much as Will-O-Wisp).
Add Rest + Sleep Talk as a possible method of more reliable recovery than Pain Split, but mention that this will leave Duskull as even worse set-up bait than it already is.
Mention Memento as a possible method of supporting fast sweepers, but that Duskull should generally not be used on offensive teams due to how badly it reduces momentum.
Mention Shadow Ball and Hex as possible STAB moves, but that Duskull's pitiful Special Attack means that these can easily be shrugged off by anything remotely bulky.

wip, I'll finish this in a bit
I'll add that all in later today, currently doing some stuff that I need to take care of, but thanks!

Overview:
You're overselling Duskull's viability here; Duskull is honestly quite terrible at best and almost never worth a team slot, and this needs to be emphasized.

The Undead Cannot Die:

Moves:

Set Details:

Usage Tips:

Team Options:

Other Options:

Checks and Counters:
Since we changed the EV spread, remove all of the current sections except for the Knock Off section. Just for future reference, neither Munchlax or Dratini are very good sweepers by any stretch, and Scraggy isn't top tier, either.
Mention that Knock Off will also heavily damage Duskull in addition to removing its Eviolite. Give examples of strong Knock Off users (Pawniard, Mienfoo, Scraggy).
Add a section on Fire-types because they are immune to Will-O-Wisp. Ponyta and Larvesta can burn and whittle Duskull down while utilizing Morning Sun to easily outlast Duskull, while Houndour can put Duskull in a checkmate position with Pursuit.
Add a section on clerics and status absorbers, such as Knock Off Lickitung and RestTalk Chinchou, because they can heal off Will-O-Wisp and wear Duskull down while Duskull will struggle to do anything in return with its weak Shadow Sneak.
Add a section on Set-up sweepers that do not mind burn, such as Timburr, Omanyte, and Scraggy, who can take advantage of Duskull's lack of offensive presence to freely set up.
Add a section on Substitute and mention that it almost entirely neutralizes Duskull if the user is not weak to Shadow Sneak.

Just for future reference, neither Munchlax nor Dratini are relevant physical sweepers in the current metagame.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude at any point, but a Duskull analysis is pretty tough to write given how Duskull is sort of really bad. I'm going to withhold QC for the time being because a good portion of the analysis is being rewritten, so I just want to make sure that neither of us miss anything significant; if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Done! Don't worry btw, no hard feelings. You gave me a lot of tips I'll use in later analysis' anyways.

If you could fix the formatting, specifically have it left-aligned instead of middle, that'd be great and I'll get to QCing it afterwards. :)

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Attack isn't everything in LC; just leave it at Duskull lacking offensive presence, forcing it to ineffectively use status moves instead.

Team Options:
Give examples for each of these points, like Mienfoo for Knock Off absorbing and U-Turning, Chinchou specifically for Volt Switch, Ferroseed for setting up hazards, and Archen for all three.

Checks and Counters:
Specify that set-up sweepers will use Duskull as set-up bait.
I wouldn't say that Fire-types can easily kill Duskull, just that Duskull can't threaten them at all.

good job
QC 1/3

Overview:
Attack isn't everything in LC; just leave it at Duskull lacking offensive presence, forcing it to ineffectively use status moves instead.

Team Options:
Give examples for each of these points, like Mienfoo for Knock Off absorbing and U-Turning, Chinchou specifically for Volt Switch, Ferroseed for setting up hazards, and Archen for all three.

Checks and Counters:
Specify that set-up sweepers will use Duskull as set-up bait.
I wouldn't say that Fire-types can easily kill Duskull, just that Duskull can't threaten them at all.

good job
QC 1/3
Added everything, sorry I couldn't get to this sooner.

Overall just try to fix up the formatting issues you have such as your nature, EVs, and adding spaces between sections such as between Moves and Set Details.

Usage tips:
You could mention Substituting to get to a lower HP for a more effective Pain Split.

Team Options:
Archen isn't exactly the best example for a Knock Off absorber. I'd mention Shellos instead.
If you're going to say pokemon with Volt Switch and U-turn for teammates, they only synergize well with Duskull if you're using hazards as well, so either specify this or take out the point entirely and just leave it as Duskull synergizes with Hazard Setters because of its ability to spin block.

Other Options:
Remove the Confuse Ray point entirely. I think you should remove the RestTalk point as well as the set would have essentially no practical purpose to ever be used.
Talk about why you might use the options you have listed along with why they're generally outclassed.
Mention Destiny Bond and Taunt, but it's generally too slow to effective use them.
Haze to be able to check set-up sweepers but most sweepers will generally beat it anyway.

Nice job, Duskull's pretty bad so I imagine this was tough :P QC 2/3.

Overall just try to fix up the formatting issues you have such as your nature, EVs, and adding spaces between sections such as between Moves and Set Details.

Usage tips:
You could mention Substituting to get to a lower HP for a more effective Pain Split.

Team Options:
Archen isn't exactly the best example for a Knock Off absorber. I'd mention Shellos instead.
If you're going to say pokemon with Volt Switch and U-turn for teammates, they only synergize well with Duskull if you're using hazards as well, so either specify this or take out the point entirely and just leave it as Duskull synergizes with Hazard Setters because of its ability to spin block.

Other Options:
Remove the Confuse Ray point entirely. I think you should remove the RestTalk point as well as the set would have essentially no practical purpose to ever be used.
Talk about why you might use the options you have listed along with why they're generally outclassed.
Mention Destiny Bond and Taunt, but it's generally too slow to effective use them.
Haze to be able to check set-up sweepers but most sweepers will generally beat it anyway.

Nice job, Duskull's pretty bad so I imagine this was tough :P QC 2/3.
Implemented. Thanks. What do you mean by formatting issues in nature and EVs? Am I doing it wrong? (Sorry, this is my first analysis.)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Implemented. Thanks. What do you mean by formatting issues in nature and EVs? Am I doing it wrong? (Sorry, this is my first analysis.)
Basically, its just fixing the small details to match all of the other analyses here. For example,
What you have for the set should look like this:

Utility
########
name: Utility
evs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD

I'd suggest just copying and pasting this into the analysis.
Also, you really should change the overview to bullet points, as it is not supposed to be in paragraph form until it receives 3 checks.

I know I'm not involved in LC at all, but I'm just trying to help a newcomer out.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
- I feel like you should end this with something optimistic, as although Duskull is outclassed in its role, there has to be some reason to merit its use. End on a good note.

Set Details:
- Mention the spread the EVs hit before Eviolite

Usage Tips:
- Not only does Knock Off cripple Duskull, but it deals massive damage to it coming off of a decent Attack stat

Team Options:
- Mention Trubbish, as it can absorb Knock Off and set Toxic Spikes / Spikes

Checks and Counters:
- Taunt shuts down Duskull (outside of Shadow Sneak)
- Gastly can handle Duskull 1v1, surviving Shadow Sneak and OHKOing with Shadow Ball (idk if this is worthy noting, as Gastly cannot switch into a Shadow Sneak or Substitute)

(just some calcs for reference)
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 116+ SpD Eviolite Duskull: 18-23 (85.7 - 109.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
116 Atk Duskull Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Gastly: 12-14 (63.1 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anywho, nicely written, especially for your first analysis QC 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)