Eagle's Mainly Poetry Thread

Haha, guess you could call this before and after!

I definitely prefer this one.

EDIT: My fourth goddamn edit.

Hello Eagle, I apologize for bothering again, but the gif you made is 40.4 kb and as such is too large for an avatar (30kb.) While I'm here I may as well p;rovide feedback on your newer art. Your Yamask is brilliant; the background, mask, and unyeilding stare really emphasizes the ominous nature of the pokemon. As for Torterra, there is a reason that most artists when drawing this pokemon draw with an abreast, wide-view perspective; it is far easier to make it look menacing and powerful in this way. You have managed to do so. Based on this piece I suggest you work on drawing more 'powerful' pokemon as it's rather interesting with your style; redirect: Shelgon, Torterra. On your Stunfisk, the idea is entertaining, but in the newer version the shadow feels a bit... off to me. I'm not sure what it is about it; granted it's not much of an issue.

MDevil I believe this one will work. Thanks for your comments by the way! I'll try drawing larger pokemon after I finish espeon65's blasted impossible-to-draw Espeon (I struggle with drawing any eeveelution), and my Secret Santa Assignment.

About SuperStunfisk, I know the shading is a little queer for the generic shading pattern, but I kinda like it... meh, I don't disregard your point in any way, I just feel it works. And, um, I still need to finish that stupid Stunfisk, due to tiny nitpicks (I actually want to win MAC this time!)

Sorry Espeon65 and Matezoide, I'm bogged down with school work and artwork with deadlines, so I'm not gonna get your requests done this weekend. :(

Espeon65's... Espeon. (Sorry Imgur is bugging up so it only shows avatar size)

Also, a 20 minute painting, using nothing but card, black paint and white paint:

Sorry for the blur. (If you can't tell, it's a man sitting down with knees up, shirt under a suit, tie, that kinda stuff)

<EagleFour> I've just realised my 500th post is coming up
<EagleFour> I need to celebrate it somehow
<CBMeadow> I'm not sure how you might
<EagleFour> hmmmm
<CBMeadow> you could say EI BE A BETER USER NAO

Hello eagle4 digging the art stylle very uniq and true to you. If you ever have time would you possibly want to draw a Ditto? I know there easy to draw but I feel like your art style would have some fun with it. Time is no issue just do it if you want and thank you for great art.

I'm alive I'm alive

Sorry for my lack of activity in this thread, I blame it on illness, holidays, coming to terms with Photoshop and my general laziness. I apologise Matezoide for the wait, but here is your Primeape:

It didn't come out exactly the way I wanted (ugh the eyes), but I hope it's good enough. Here's the avatar size:

Okay, a minor announcement: After I complete Latias AND Latios (honestly?), I'm switchin' my style to one more suited to Photoshop. So er... yay.

Okay, i'll get your latias done on the weekend Princess Bri, don't you worry. Anyway, here's a random shark which I made a while ago.

Pretty crappy.

I present to you Ferrin! I know Chespin will evolve into a porcupine of some sort, or an armadillo or something, but I first thought that it would be a flying squirrel, and I'm sticking to that.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very cute, I'd say it's equally adorable to its basic stage. Sadly, the same can be said about its appearance. With the exception of its green wings and the different brown markings on its face, what you've drawn is a carbon copy of Chespin, and should be treated as such rather than an estimate of what its next stage may look like. Some general tips on how to draw latter stages are that they usually replace their black marble eyes with something else, along with more developed legs and arms rather than just stubby limbs.

The wings is a good feature which could work as an addition to the next stage, but with no changes made to the overall physique, it won't look like it evolved, and instead simply added a new garmet to itself.

As for the art itself, it appears that you've drawn the lineart with a mouse, which is a most daring practise, even for veteran artists. Until you get a tablet or similar, I suggest that you continue working with your scanned drawings and how to improve their quality instead (such as the loose pixels). I have a vague memory that you're using photoshop though, and if so, the pencil tool can be made to create paths, which you can then stroke with an appropriate brush size. Hook me up if you want more details about that method.

Very cute, I'd say it's equally adorable to its basic stage. Sadly, the same can be said about its appearance. With the exception of its green wings and the different brown markings on its face, what you've drawn is a carbon copy of Chespin, and should be treated as such rather than an estimate of what its next stage may look like. Some general tips on how to draw latter stages are that they usually replace their black marble eyes with something else, along with more developed legs and arms rather than just stubby limbs.

The wings is a good feature which could work as an addition to the next stage, but with no changes made to the overall physique, it won't look like it evolved, and instead simply added a new garmet to itself.

As for the art itself, it appears that you've drawn the lineart with a mouse, which is a most daring practise, even for veteran artists. Until you get a tablet or similar, I suggest that you continue working with your scanned drawings and how to improve their quality instead (such as the loose pixels). I have a vague memory that you're using photoshop though, and if so, the pencil tool can be made to create paths, which you can then stroke with an appropriate brush size. Hook me up if you want more details about that method.
Thanks for the critique! The idea I had in mind for my prevo sadly didn't turn out the way I wanted it too, and yeah, you're absolutely right about it looking too much like Chespin. Drawing with a mouse is a pain, but I sadly don't know if I'm dedicated enough to pokemon art to get myself a tablet... can you recommend any good tablets? I didn't use photoshop on Chespin, but the image below was used by photoshop. I would love some more info on that pencil method though

It's an improvement:

Princess Bri's request:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2s8687p.jpg

The fighting-type seems pretty tacked on, as the only thing that suggests it are boxing gloves, not the most original indicator of being a fighting-type. The body is definitely electric, but it seems just like a body shape coloured in yellow and blue with a lighting shape at the top to show electric, instead of combining this with a base concept or idea other than "generic electric thing". The screen showing an electrical wave as a mouth is probably the most inventive thing, and it's a pretty good idea, so maybe it could have been a good idea to start with an "electric machine" idea and design it from there, instead of putting that on a generic electric body and slapping on boxing gloves and calling it fighting type.

This is a first attempt, so to improve in future attempts, i think it's a good idea to start with a base concept or idea, like an animal to base it off or the electric machine idea or something, and then design it from there.
Good luck n_n

Thanks for the comment Ritter! When I first sketched it out, I had in mind a boxing electric pylon, but then I kinda got carried away :/

Spidow Bug/Dark

Hehe, thanks BKC! I'll get your Blaziken done after MAC, Megados' Ditto, Smeargle Card Project's Metapod and something else which I'm going to work on, so there might be a long wait, sorry about that :(

Also Bummer, I created this with your great feedback in mind, it's the second evo of Chespin:

Hope you like it! Lens flare makes everything better.

The lens flare is a nice addition.

I suggest you work from it, take that as your light source and add some shading to the character, it will really add some depth to the picture. Also your lineart needs tidying, especially for a picture of this style it really adds to the quality - despite being incredibly tedious.In my oppinion there is no good shortcut for lineart, time brings quality.

Also try and keep things in proportion, all arms, legs, fingers, claws should be the same size as other corresponding digits. Other things to consider are what looks natural - considering that this pokemon is based off an animal, it's best to give it animalistic characteristics: you'd be unlikely to see an animal with a square nose for example. (Obviously this doesn't apply for pokemon like Rotom.)

I like how you've tried to incorporate movement into the picture as wellwith the leafy rotar-blades, it's a nice touch. Personally I would suggest using blurs and focusing to create a sense of movement rather than solid lines which just obstruct the rest of the picture.

There's work to be done but it's a great concept, keep at it!

The lens flare is a nice addition.

I suggest you work from it, take that as your light source and add some shading to the character, it will really add some depth to the picture. Also your lineart needs tidying, especially for a picture of this style it really adds to the quality - despite being incredibly tedious.In my oppinion there is no good shortcut for lineart, time brings quality.

Also try and keep things in proportion, all arms, legs, fingers, claws should be the same size as other corresponding digits. Other things to consider are what looks natural - considering that this pokemon is based off an animal, it's best to give it animalistic characteristics: you'd be unlikely to see an animal with a square nose for example. (Obviously this doesn't apply for pokemon like Rotom.)

I like how you've tried to incorporate movement into the picture as wellwith the leafy rotar-blades, it's a nice touch. Personally I would suggest using blurs and focusing to create a sense of movement rather than solid lines which just obstruct the rest of the picture.

There's work to be done but it's a great concept, keep at it!
Thanks for the great critique! I've been reluctant to shade each art piece I do simply because I'm very amateur-ish at the whole process (Well, you have to start somewhere), and despite looking at angles of light sources and stuff when trying to shade, I just can't do it. I'll keep on trying, so hopefully I can get better. You have a good point with trying to include animalstic features in my work, I'll try that from now on too (I often forget that most pokemon are based off real animals). I know my lineart needs a definite improvement, it's one of the things which hold me down most of the time. Honestly, I don't think I have the patience or dedication to do proper lineart, but maybe I will in the future. Proportion is another good point, I'll work on it :)

Thanks for the great critique! I've been reluctant to shade each art piece I do simply because I'm very amateur-ish at the whole process (Well, you have to start somewhere), and despite looking at angles of light sources and stuff when trying to shade, I just can't do it.
My advice would be to start working on simple shapes. Create a flat circle in photoshop, paint on a really quick light source and work from there. See if you can make it look 3D. Then try other shapes, experiment - see what happens.

I find drawing from real life is the best, if you have a little bit of plasticine somewhere, just mould a strange shape and point a lamp at it. Then draw what you see.

Oh, and never shade using black and white. Shadows are not naturally that colour unless your whole picture is in greyscale. Use darker tones of the colour's you're already using instead of overlaying black and white.

Good luck :)

<Eagle4> okay what should i draw for my 600th post
<Eagle4> i'll draw the first answer
<RODAN> rodan
<Eagle4> okay

Not my 600th post but the cap art polls and whatnot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)