1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Early rushdown team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Jambourine, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Jambourine

Jambourine

I've lurked in the competitive pokemon community for a year maybe and with the advent of black and white and the boredom of college lectures I've finally downloaded PO and started trying to make a competitive team. I did choose UU since it seemed like the most fun environment and reasonably accessible. I made a team based on pokes I liked with what I thought was good synergy and offense in mind, built to force switches and get quick powerful stat boosts on them. I do not have a spinner nor entry hazards but I'm kind of unwilling to sack anyone for them.

[​IMG]
    Bropunny (Lopunny) (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Klutz
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Switcheroo
    - Substitute
    - Fake Out
    - Baton Pass

[​IMG]
    Batsu (Crobat) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Taunt
    - Roost
    - Super Fang
    - Brave Bird

[​IMG]
    /rk9/ (Arcanine) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Wild Charge
    - Flare Blitz
    - Crunch

[​IMG]
    Pingu (Empoleon) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Agility
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot

[​IMG]
    Corsage (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Quiver Dance
    - Giga Drain
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

[​IMG]
    Athos (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Close Combat
    - Swords Dance
    - Taunt
    - Stone Edge

Most immediately, I have a lot of potential leads. Arcanine anti-leads pretty well, Crobat does really well against fighting type and fake-out leads while outspeeding everything and taunting, and Lopunny is a very successful trick lead that usually lets me get a sub'd poke right off the bat, in addition to crippling whatever lead they have. I've noticed a substancial weakness to fire and no ground pokes to sponge electricity, and I'm very reliant on crobat to come on on ground or fighting attacks which my team is also somewhat weak to. I know ground, fighting, and fire are very bad types to be weak. Perhaps I should run flash fire on the Arcanine?

I really could stand to have something else that resists or is immune to fighting type, ground type, and can efficiently trick scarfs around, since it would naturally replace the Lopunny who's kind of a gimmick on my set. I think the obvious answer is Rotom but I'm not really sure which form I would use. I'm also somewhat unwilling to kill Lopunny just because I like it. I'm also thinking about swapping Arcanine for Houndoom since I want the psychic and fire immunities and if I run sucker punch it kind of makes up for the loss of extremespeed. Houndoom seems like a good counter for Victini which I run into a lot. I also need someone to take care of ghost types but I recently put crunch onto arcanine and he does pretty well there now. I figure having one dark move somewhere is more important than two fighting moves, but I'm really not sure because of the endless utility of fighting.

I'm really interested to hear what sets/pokemon I could run better with my current strategy for additional coverage. I love setup moves so I try to run at least one on every single poke I have. I wouldn't mind a nasty plotter. Also should I ditch fake out on my Lop for encore? It does like no damage, even if it is free, and encore helps late game after I've already ditched the scarf. Alternatively, I would love to give it some attack EVs over HP and instead give it like Focus Punch or Jump Kick, focus punch working well with the trick scarf sub strategy and jump kick working well if it's too late for that. Honestly it seems like a waste of a sub to leave lop-ears in with the sub since it's better on virtually everyone else.

Also I really want at least one toxic SOMEWHERE but don't know what to replace. Should I put it on crobat over super fang? Seems like they kind of fill the same niche. But super fang and taunt have really helped me vs Registeel and I would lose that if I swapped it out, not to mention my team really isn't built to stall.

Please go easy, this is my second ever team and the first posted here.
  2. Robisaurus

Robisaurus

Fake out does break sashes tho.

Not what youre looking for, but I like to run this Lanturn set

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 192 Def / 100 SAtk / 176 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Confuse Ray
    - Toxic
    - Scald
    - Discharge

It could resist water, fire and ice moves and absorb electric attacks as well as spreading status and forcing switches preparing for a sweep. As for Rotom forms I'd give Rotom-C a shot
  3. Jambourine

Jambourine

I'd also like to point out that I was really nervous about my first team so I was really afraid to improvise. I know just about all of these are very standard smogon sets. I was gonna run crobat with a choice band and with basically a completely different moveset. I'd like to know how I can slightly modify their moves so they can cover each other better. I also wouldn't mind switching out Lilligant since I'm running her purely for coverage and I can't really switch into her without passing her a sub because she's so frail. I should be running a different water type than Empoleon too so I can resist fire and stuff since as I understand it that's generally the point of that core. I don't really want a fire/water/grass core really, but they seem very good in UU and I don't really know what else to use. I like the Lanturn set though, Lanturn is a cool pokemon. I definitely don't struggle with ice though but the fire resist of any water type is appealing.

Some pokemon I'd like to consider:
    Choice banded Weavile (or maybe sashed or scarfed? I'd run a choice poke but I don't really have a safe wall to switch into when things look bad and I'd hate to death fodder it every time it comes out)
    Nasty Plot Mismagius (for levitate, fighting resist, and quick easy setup)
    Trick Rotom (because it does what lopunny does with better coverage and the ability to actually attack)
    Alteria (for a few status and support moves plus sponginess and fighting/ground/fire/water/grass/bug resists)

I have no intention of replacing Crobat and Cobalion. They're pulling their weight and then some and have been since I got them. Everyone else is there tentatively though.
  4. Jambourine

Jambourine

Okay, I swapped out the Lopunny for a Trick Rotom. I'm using the heat version but I really would like to use the default version for superior typing and immunities. Is it worth the stat drop and move changes? Everything else is largely the same. Also, which pokemon I suggested or otherwise would work well with my team? Is it wise to have so many setup pokemon? I used to have a spinner/stealth rock user/physical wall in donphan but I really didn't feel like he fit very well. Should I throw on a stall/utility poke for stall's sake? Maybe Ferroseed?
  5. puregenius

puregenius

for magi a pretty standard set

252 spa 252 spe 4hp

shadow ball
    hp fight
    sub
    nasty plot

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)