Gen 3 Earthquake Weak

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Umby, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Umby

Umby I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Nidoking (M) @ Leftovers
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam
    - Lovely Kiss

Heracross (M) @ Leftovers
    - Counter
    - Curse
    - Megahorn
    - Rest

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast / Pursuit
    - Rock Slide
    - Screech

I forgot why I added Screech. Might work well with pursuit, but then I can't hit Steelix.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Substitute
    - Surf
    - Swords Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    - Light Screen
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Whirlwind

I don't know why I like this set lately.

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers
    - Psychic
    - Reflect
    - Rest
    - Toxic

Needsmorespikes.
  2. Borat

Borat

I never liked Curse/Counter on Heracross.

Screech is a great move on Tyranitar - it's just most GSCers aren't quite up to par intellectually and fear straying away from standards.

Hydro Pump for the guaranteed 3hko on Skarmory.

Any reason you're running LS over Reflect in a physical metagame?

Hypno is iffy; what exactly is it suppose to do? I think Snorlax should occupy this slot.
  3. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Light Screen sets up Tentacruel pretty well. I can see Reflect being useful if he decides to run Belly Drum Snorlax in the last slot, though.

Sleeptalk Heracross is the way to go on this team, as you're already lacking a sleep absorber in the first place. Continuous Seismic Tosses to the incoming Skarmory until it Rests can get BDlax a turn to set up if you run it.
  4. Borat

Borat

Light Screen doesn't help Tentacruel any more than Reflect does; it's EQ vs Tbolt, and I'd put my money on EQ being more common.
  5. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Raikou/Zapdos, whom switch into Tentacruel often, no longer become solid Tentacruel counters when it has LS support.
  6. Borat

Borat

Snorlax is another oh-so-common Tentacruel switch.

And I'd much rather avoid Snorlax than Raikou/Zapdos.
  7. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

I suppose so, if that's your opinion, but LS still has its merits against electrics. Especially since Snorlax is easy to force to rest, possibly giving forth a small opening for Tentacruel to set up on, whilst Raikou/Zapdos (whose primarily role is usually Resttalkers), can still beat Tentacruel while asleep. Light Screen helps with that scenario where Reflect doesn't if both are on the same team.
  8. Borat

Borat

I'll take my chances, since reflect does benefit the team much more than LS ever will (gives heracross an extra s-toss/counter opportunity, provide the EQ-weak team with extra protection, and the much more physical-weak team than special-weak). While on topic, nothing switches to my/Chris's classic EQ/RS/HP Fly Marowak without taking at least 2/3-3/4.
  9. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

I think we're straying from the argument, as his team has both Reflect and Light Screen, but you were wondering why Light Screen was there at all, which is where my posts come to place.

Anyway, a fast(er than Marowak) bulky water type would do you some good, unless you want to grab a Skarmory. =\ I don't know what you would replace, though, as Tentacruel is a great pokemon.
  10. Borat

Borat

Actually, I assumed he'd automatically replace Hypno with Snorlax, thus losing Reflect (unless you decide to use Reflect Snorlax, which I can tell you from experience that it's a waste).
  11. Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus

I do believe I switched it to a stalking Snorlax.
  12. Shadow Sunny

Shadow Sunny

you know what would go well with that Team a forry

Forettress
    @ Leftovers

-Spikes
    -Earthquake
    -Zap Cannon
    -Explosion/HP:Bug
  13. Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus

Except Forretress doesn't get Earthquake in GSC.
  14. Shadow Sunny

Shadow Sunny

whoops ehe heh looks like I played on modded servers too much :(

in any case Rapid spin is more useful than EQ even if it did actually get it so go with that
  15. Borat

Borat

Doesn't get ZC either.

In any event, Spikers shouldn't be used unless it plays a key part of the team's strategy. It should never be used as a mere 12.5% nuisance per switch, but rather a key focal point. Spikes is an entire pokemon slot completely wasted otherwise; you can kid yourselves all you want about how Cloyster can surf/ib too, but the fact remains that surf/ib coming from Cloyster is a joke and nothing more than a false illusion of usefulness. You can lie to yourself and hide behind the fact that forretress is a great physical wall with great defense and typing, but guess what -- it can't do the key thing most physical walls can: p-haze. And while he walls Marowak/Rhydon decently, so what, he can't do shit to them either. "Winning" and merely "not losing" are two completely difference concepts. And if you're using it primarily as a p-passer/spinner, you know damn well Starmie fits the bill hundreds of times better.

I'm a bit surprised that I missed this: Drumzard beats this team beginning turn 1. Both your counters are 50/50 crapshoots, which isn't anything to rely on. And believe me, Forretress won't alleviate the Drumzard weakness.
  16. Gengzor

Gengzor

i agree with borat

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)