Eelektross (BW2 Revamp) [QC 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Overview]

<p>Eelektross is a very special Pokemon because it was the third Pokemon Game Freak decided to give no weaknesses thanks to its ability, Levitate. On top of it, Eelektross has an excellent movepool consisting of moves such as Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, and Flamethrower, giving Eelektross almost flawless coverage. Aside from its Speed, Eelektross has very good stats across the board, making it a very versatile Pokemon that can go both physically and specially offensive. Eelektross even has access to Coil, which allows it to become an effective bulky sweeper. Eelektross even has access to Coil making it a powerful bulky sweeper. Unfortunately, Eelektross has competition from other faster and powerful Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Galvantula, and Manetric who all have superb coverage. Eelektross may seem really good with these facts going for it, but it's just not as good in practice as on paper.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Leftovers / Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making good use of Eelektross's decent Special Attack, great bulk, and assortment of special attacks which makes it an excellent offensive pivot. Volt Switch grants Eelektross ability to scout while still hitting relatively hard. Flamethrower on the other hand, roasts any Grass-types such as Ferroseed, Rotom-C, and Lilligant that may try to come in and resist its STAB moves. Giga Drain takes care of any Pokemon that are immune to Eelektross STAB such as Lanturn, Sandslash, and Rhydon. Thunderbolt is an alternative STAB that nails bulky Water- and Flying-types harder such as Slowking, Mandibuzz, and Poliwrath.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Eelektross to hit hard as possible, tank hits, and outspeed univested Tangrowths(fluffy writing?). Leftovers are the preferred choice because it allows Eelektross to switch up moves while regaining crucial HP; though, Choice Specs provides more power and give you a chance of 2HKOing walls such as Uxie, Spiritomb, and Cryogonal. Life Orb could be used for an in-between Choice Specs and Leftovers, but the recoil hampers Eelektross's main draw over other Electric-types: no weaknesses. Speaking of items, Expert Belt can be used since Eelektross hits most of the tier for super effective damage, also there is no recoil damage and can bluff Choice Specs. More Speed can be used to outspeed neutral base 70s and 80s, but keep in mind the bulk loss is very noticeable(Add in specific evs for outspeeding base 70s and 80s?). Eelektross fourth move slot is very adaptable and can be changed for your team benefit. Superpower can replace Thunderbolt since it can 2HKO Normal-type such as Bouffalant, Clefable, and Lickilicky. Acid Spray acts as a pseudo Nasty Plot and can prove very useful since Eelektross's other moves already provide neutral coverage.</p>

<p>Since Eelektross forces many switches, hazard support from teammates such as Smeargle and Crustle are recommended to put pressure on the opponent from switching out. Paralysis support from Pokemon such as Uxie, Slowking, and Tangrowth are recommended to migate Eelektross horrendous Speed. Frail Pokemon such as Zangoose and Durant appreciate the slow Volt Switch, because it acts as a free switch-in and activates the former's Toxic Orb. The only Pokemon that resists Eelektross entire move set is Druddigon, so powerful attackers such as Aggron and Escavalier can tank hits from Druddigon while striking back with their respective STABs. Ice-types such as Rotom-F and Galceon can OHKO Druddigon with Blizzard.</p>

[SET]
name: Coil
move 1: Coil
move 2: ThunderPunch
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a different approach from the offensive pivot. Here, Eelektross utilizes its bulk and takes advantage of Coil to become an offensive and defensive threat. Despite ThunderPunch's low Base Power, it is a great STAB move and doen't give recoil unlike Wild Charge does. Drain Punch works well with conjunction of ThunderPunch because it gives Eelektross extra coverage and allows Eelektross to recover HP off Pokemon such as Lanturn and Ferroseed, who the former is immune and the latter resists its STAB. Substitute is a great option because with its great bulk, Eelektross's Substitute can survive a hit from defensive Pokemon such as Slowking, Lanturn, and Tangrowth. In addition, Substitute lets Eelektross avoid status and set up with Coil with more ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max HP and Special Defense with a Careful nature is crucial because without maximum investment Eelektross's Substitute can not survive a hit from the Pokemon mentioned above. Zap Cannon can be an alternative to ThunderPunch since it hits almost as hard while appreciating the accuracy boost and guarantees the opponent being paralysed, but you can easily can get PP stalled and lose to Calm Mind sweepers such as Uxie and Spiritomb. Dragon Tail is an acceptable option over Subsititute because it forces out threats; if you choose that option be sure to pair Eelektross up with hazard spreaders such as Ferroseed and Crustle. Aqua Tail may be used as another attacking option since you can hit Fire- and Ground-types harder. Eelektross is walled against defensive Pokemon such as Rotom, Amoongus, and Quagsire. Pokemon that carry appropriate coverage to check those kind of Pokemon make great teammates which include Entei, Manetric, and Moltres. Finally, Eelektross appreciates Heal Bell and Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefable since there are many Pokemon that can status Eelektross before it sets up a Substitute.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When looking at Eelektross you may have noticed it has a higher Attack than Special Attack. You may opt to Choice Band on Eelektross since it has many physical moves such as Wild Charge, Superpower, U-turn and Aqua Tail. The problem is, it faces a lot of competition from the offensive pivot who carries better coverage and Wild Charge gives recoil, hampering its bulk. Eelektross has quite a few of other moves it can use but it's better to use the ones that are already listed. Dragon Claw stands out the most as it hits Druddigon and Altaria super effectively, giving Eelektross a shot of doing heavy damage to them. Charge Beam is Eelektross only way of raising its Special Attack, but it's better off attacking off the bat with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. Eelektross has access to other moves such as Flash Cannon, Rock Slide, Signal Beam, and Crunch, but they don't add much to Eelektross's coverage. Finally, a defensive variant of Eelektross may be used since it has good bulk and moves such Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Light Screen to benefit teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Specially defensive Druddigon and Altaria easily counters both sets since they take little damage due to their sheer bulk and the two can phase out Eelektross. Clefable, Lickilicky, and specially defensive Gallade can take any hits from the offensive pivot while wearing down Eelektross with their respective move and keep themselves healthy with Wish. The Coil set is more easier to deal with because it is quite weak prior to any boosts. Taunt users such as Whimiscott and Misdreavus can prevent Eelektross to accumulate any boosts and the former can even Encore Eelektross into Coil or Substitute. Quagsire stops Coil Eelektross in a heart beat because it can ignore the stat boosts thanks to its ability, Unaware. Choice Band users such as Emboar, Entei, and Aggron all can outspeed Eelektross and OHKO it with their STABs, despite maximum HP investment, but they can't handle Eelektross after a few boosts.</p>

[Overview]

• Very good movepool consisting of Thunderbolt, Gigadrain, Superpower, and etc almost has flawless coverage.
  • No weakness thanks to Levitate (Can run triple Levitate with Magnet Rise and Air Ballon lol)
  • Can perform many roles such as physical attacker, special attacker and set up with Coil.
  • Average bulk of 85 / 85 / 85
  • Held back by its base 50 Speed.
  • Competition from other powerful and faster Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Galvantula, and Manetric who all have superb coverage.
  • One of those Pokemon that seems really good on paper but doesn't do as well in practise.

[SET]
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Volt Switch
item: Leftovers / Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Thunderbolt very good for nailing those bulky Water- and Flying-types such as Poliwrath, Slowking, and Mandibuzz
  • Flamethrower roasts any Grass-types such as Ferroseed, Rotom-C, and Lilligant.
  • Giga Drain hits Lanturn and Quagsire while giving pseudo recovery.
  • Volt Switch gives you momentum while still hitting hard.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• EVs allow the eel to hit as hard as possible, tank hits, and outspeed minimum speed investment Tangrowth.
  • More speed can be used to outspeed neutral base 60, 70, and 80 but the bulk loss is very noticeable.
  • Life Orb so you can switch moves but still hit hard but it's inferior to Leftovers and Choice Specs cause it hampers Eelektross bulk from the recoil.
  • Ebelt can be used since Eelektross hits most of the tier for super effective damage while there's no recoil damage and can bluff Choice Specs.
  • Superpower or Drain Punch 2HKOs Clefable which can easily Life Orb stall Eelektross and hits other Pokemon like Bouffalant, Absol, Aggron for super effective damage. If you opt to these options use Mild nature.
  • Acid Spray acts as pseudo Nasty Plot
  • Hazard support from Pokemon such as Smeargle and Crustle
  • Enjoys paralysis support from Pokemon such as Uxie, Slowking, and Tangrowth
  • Frail Pokemon such as Zangoose and Durant appreciate slow Volt Switch, as it essentially giving free switch in and activates the former's Toxic Orb.
  • Only Pokemon(?) that walls Eelektross is Druddigon, especially the specially defensive variant. So, powerful attackers such as Aggron and Escavalier can tank hits while hitting back with their own STABs. Ice-types such as Rotom-F and Glaceon can OHKO Druddigon with Blizzard.

[SET]
name: Coil
move 1: Coil
move 2: ThunderPunch
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Easily sets up on defensive Pokemon.
  • Eelektross makes good use of Coil since it has no weakness, bulky and almost never OHKOed.
  • ThunderPunch has low BP but it doesn't give recoil like Wild Charge
  • Drain Punch is excellent for recovery and helping out with coverage, especially against Pokemon such as Lanturn, Clefable, and Ferroseed.
  • Substitute is a great option because its sub allow you to live defensive Pokemon hits such as Slowking's Scald, Lanturn's Scald, and Tangrowth's Giga Drain.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Max HP and Special Defense with Careful nature make Eelektross as bulky as possible and let its sub survive hits.
  • Zap Cannon hits almost as hard as ThunderPunch but using Zap Cannon makes you lose to PP stall and CM sweepers such as Spiritomb and Sigilyph
  • Dragon Tail can force out Pokemon so it's decent to use when paired up with hazard spreaders such as Ferroseed and Crustle
  • Aqua Tail may be used to hit Fire- and Ground-types harder
  • Walled hard against defensive Pokemon such as Rotom, Amoongus, and Quagsire. Pokemon that carry the appropriate coverage such as Entei, Manetric and Moltres make decent checks to those walls.
  • Rather slow, so paralysis support is nice
  • Appreciates Heal Bell and Wish support Clefable pairs up nicely because of it's slow speed it can get status easily.

[Other Options]

• CB
  • Dragon Claw if you really want to hit Druddigon hard
  • Other moves such as Acrobatics, Charge Beam, Flash Cannon, and Rock Slide
  • Defensive variant with max HP and Special Defence with moves such as RestTalk, Toxic, Thunderwave and Light Screen
  • Not much else

[Checks and Counters]

• Specially defensive Druddigon and Altaria counters both sets taking little damage while the latter can Haze away any boosts that the Eel has accumulated.
  • Clefable, Lickilicky, and Gallade can take any hits of the special attacker set, wear down Eelektross with their respective move while healing themselves with Wish, but the former two must be wary of Superpower.
  • Coil is much more easier to deal with any phaser forces it out. Support Pokemon such as Whimsicott and Misdreavus can Taunt Eelektross while the former can Encore Eelektross into Coil or Substitute. Quagsire stops it cold as it can Toxic Eelektross and ignore the stat boosts.
  • CB users such as Medicham, Entei, and Aggron all can outspeed Eelektross and take it out with their STABs despite maximum HP investment.

I'd mention in AC for the Special Attacking set Pokemon that appreciate a slow Volt Switch, like Durant or Zangoose, as partners. They aren't the easiest thing to switch in, so having a slower Volt Switch can allow for a free switch in.

Icecream said:
For reference, if you're gonna name a set "All out attacker", I suggest you remove Choice items considering how contradictory that is.
I'm not sure on that cause Eelektross works fine with Choice Specs and I'm not sure what else to call it. If anyone has any suggestion feel free to mention.

@SpareAacount That is a good suggestion i'll add it in.

Ok, so writing this from a phone, so this is kinda short, but quick thoughts. Superpower or bust on the final move slot, drain punches recovery doesn't even compare to superpower's extra power in terms of usefullness. Also consider slashing or at least mentioning ebelt, eel has really nice SE coverage and feigns a choice set decently under the right conditions too (also prevents LO stall, helping it wall-break better). I really prefer Aqua Tail over Fire Punch on CB, not only are most Grass-types taking U-Turns poorly but the neutral coverage Aqua Tail offers makes it a really nice option when in doubt (even if it's primarily either charging or u-turning anyway). Plus locking into un-stabbed fire punch is just awful :(

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't actually play RU, but Hone Claws shouldn't even be in Other Options. Coil is better than Hone Claws as a move in every single way. It even has more PP.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I personally when i ran a similar coil set used Zap Cannon over ThunderPunch; i'm no god of RU but after 2 coil boosts they're hitting very similar power levels and he's virtually impossible to KO. the 8 PP is a letdown though, but i'd suggest at least testing it to form your own opinion

Ok I've played around with the Coil set for about 12ish matches and imo I think the Coil set is viable. You just need one opportunity to set up and you can usually take down 1-3 Pokemon and Eel is a bulky mofo. I'm using Substitute instead of Dragon Tail cause it lets eel live defensive Pokemon hits like Lanturn's Scald, Tangrowth's Giga Drain, Slowking Scald and more. I've tried out Zap Cannon over ThunderPunch but personally I don't like it cause I lost to CM Tomb and Sigilyph plus getting pp stalled but it's worth mentioning in AC cause 100% para is nice. I'll write in SC and AC for the Coil set tomorrow.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not going to do a full check just yet but i'll stop by and say i think Leftovers deserves a slash on the All-Out-Attacker set, possibly even the first slash, and Life Orb should probably either be slashed after both lefties and specs or put into the AC. Every time i've used Eelektross i've used it as an offensive pivot, using its good bulk and lack of weaknesses to switch in easily, do damage when needed, and get my teammates in with a slow Volt Switch. Leftovers helps maximimze Eel's potential as a pivot, giving it some passive recovery to help it last longer. On the other hand, while Life Orb gives a cool power boost, it really hampers Eel's bulk, which makes it a worse pivot overall and neuters one of the major qualities Eelektross has over the other Electric-types in the tier imo.

Ok I understand about Eelektross being offensive pivot. When I used it it was more like a wall breaker with Life Orb. Choice Specs now that I think of it should probably go to AC but i'll leave it for now for QC team to decide.
edit: I've been using Eel with lefites with Zangoose and i really like it I'm like 15-2 with the team. Fully support lefties as first slash.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The first set should probably be named Offensive Pivot, that's what it is, especially since most of the time you're using Volt Switch

I would move Superpower to AC along with the mention of a Mild nature (not Rash since I'd far rather be able to switch into stuff like Slowking)

Also move Specs to AC, Lefties and LO are just better imo

Eel is not a good Pokemon to use on a TR team from what I've seen; while it has extremely wide coverage and is slow, it's just not strong enough to dedicate a slot for it when I'd far rather use something like Marowak or Escavalier or Exeggutor that's going to actually destroy the opponent

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with Oglemi, Specs should be the first slash, Leftovers second or in AC, and LO in AC imo. My best success with Eel has come from using it as a bulky Specs user, sort of like Specs Lanturn but with way more power. All of RU's Ground-types are scared of Eel so there's very little risk in switching Eel in and firing off a powerful slow Volt Switch (which should be the first move on the set). Life Orb doesn't really help Eel accomplish that, and it cuts down on Eel's main advantage over other Electrics.

I'm not sure why you'd ever use CB. Wild Charge compromises Eel's bulk. U-turn is inferior to Volt Switch because Ground-types have no business switching in on Eel. Most of the Pokemon Superpower and Aqua Tail hit are hit nearly as hard or harder by Giga Drain or Flamethrower, and the others are easy to Volt Switch out of. It's not a terrible set but I don't see enough reason to use it over Specs, so I think it should go to OO.

I've used Eelektross quite a bit (acutally made a team and #14 ladder right now)and i've tried out Choice Specs and Leftovers. I found in prior experiences the power boost is quite nice but Eelektross hates being locked into a move. So I personally think Lefties should be slashed first and LO could go to AC and bump CS to second slash. CB eel i've tried it looks good on paper but mediocre in play. If it doesn't go to OO I think it should be 3rd set since I've had more success with Coil. Just my opinion but I'll let QC decide on what stands.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Choice Band Eelektross doesn't look that great to me to be honest, i'd probably move it down to the third set for not, but if the rest of QC thinks it should be in OO i have no problem with it going there.

i also think the C&C section needs to be beefed up a little bit, so here goes!

Clefable, Lickilicky, and Specially defensive Gallade should be mentioned as counters to the special attacker set, while they dont have a resistance to any of Eel's Attacks, they have enough pure bulk to take multiple Thunderbolts, Volt Switches, and Flamethrowers, and can wear down Eelektross in return with Body Slam, Seismic Toss, and Drain Punch respectively while keeping themselves healthy with Wish. Audino might be worth mentioning as well, although its not as common/good as the 3 i mentioned.

Altaria could be mentioned as an eel check as well, while its not resistant to Electric-type moves like Druddigon, it has reliable recovery in roost, and because Altaria outpaces Eelektross by quite a bit and roost removes its flying typing, Altaria can still wall Eelektross by roost stalling. Fraxure might warrant a mention, using Eelektross as set up fodder while taunting it to prevent coil, but its a pretty uncommon Pokemon so this mention isn't required.

If Quagsire's being mentioned as a check to Choice Band Eelektross, I'd mention Seismitoad too, it shares the same typing as Quagsire but its immune to Aqua Tail as a bonus, and although it doesn't have any reliable recovery, it has Stealth Rock and (iirc) more pure bulk than quaggy.

Make these changes and you can consider this

QC Approved 2/3

Ok thanks Molk. I moved CB to OO and will start writing this on the weekend. Also what does QC want for item slash? Should Lefties stay first slash, LO in AC and Specs 2nd slash?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Yeah thats what i think is best imo, Life Orb just seems like a total waste of one of Eel's coolest qualities: the fact that its relatively bulky and has no type weaknesses, the recoil every turn really hurts that :/.

Sorry for the delay, but this should be ready to be looked at
@Rohail thanks for the suggestions I added in quite a few, but the only thing I disagreed the most was saying I didn't mention any checks to Quagsire. Entei, Manetric, and Moltres commonly carry HP Grass (mostly the last two)
Edit: Thinking of a more offensive EV set for the Coil that should be mentioned in AC. What do people think about that?

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there pkn range6, I have a few changes that may help:

Overview
  • Beside its Speed, Eelektross has very good overall stats, making it a marvellous bulky attacker that has access to being a physical, special or even mixed(do I mention mixed if its not a main set?). Eelektross even has access to Coil making it a powerful bulky sweeper.
  • Here, you repeat yourself by saying Eelektross is a bulky attacker, I think it should be re-phrased to this:
  • Aside from its Speed, Eelektross has very good stats across the board, making it a very versatile Pokemon that can go both physically and specially offensive. Eelektross even has access to Coil, which allows it to become an effective bulky sweeper.
  • Next note: In the skeleton you said it had average 85 / 85 / 85 bulk. I see no mention of this in the write-up, perhaps you should convey this as a negative seeing how you say Eelektross is not that good, with only one setback to help support your opinion.

Offensive Pivot Set
  • The set comments has a few grammatical errors, may want to proofread before GP comes into this.
  • Personally, I think the first sentence in AC is fluffy. This is because we already know Eelektross can outspeed uninvested Tangrowth by comparing their Speed stats, and the other two points shouldn't be mentioned at all.
  • but the recoil hampers Eelektross niche: no weaknesses.
  • This is not a niche, it's a strong point. Maybe you should say: "but the recoil hampers Eelektross's main draw over other Electric-types: no weaknesses"
  • Explain why you wouldn't use Expert Belt in AC.
  • An alternate EV spread could be: 94 HP / 252 SpA / 162 Spe to outspeed uninvested 70s, while still hitting as hard as possible. The rest are dumped in HP to give it added bulk. If you're going to mention this, mention it as the first sentence in AC.

Coil Set
  • Lanturn doesn't resist its STAB, it's immune to it.
  • You didn't mention a single advantage of Substitute here, you just mentioned that it can survive defensive Pokemon's hits. A few qualities to mention would be letting Eelektross avoid status, protecting it from revenge killers, and letting it setup Coil on Pokemon with ease. <-- Only take like two from these three as having all three might just end up being fluff.
  • It's "Defense", not "Defence". Here at Smogon, we only speak American English.
  • Also mention Zap Cannon's terrible 50% accuracy.
  • Aqua Tail may be used as another attacking option
  • None of the Pokemon you mentioned beat Quagsire, replace Manetric's mentions with a Grass-type such as Rotom-C.

Other Options
  • It's "Thunder Wave", not "Thunderwave".

Checks and Counters
  • Choice Band users can't handle Eelektross after a few Coil boosts, specify that or just mention special attackers.

Because I'm not QC, you don't have to implement all (if any) of my suggestions. Anyways, I hope I helped ^_^

EDIT: I have now added more suggestions that you may want to take a look at.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The author hasn't been on since the forums went down, if anybody is interested in taking this over post in the C&C index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)