Eelektross [QC 2/3] [Updated]

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

QC: Arikado / EonX / ---
GP: --- / ---

Overview
########

+ checks the oh-so-common Flying-types in the tier now
+ no weaknesses best mon ever omg
+ great offenses, very expansive movepool
+ great defenses let it check many new powerful Megas
+ fits onto most playstyles due to its pivoting ability and utility as a bird check
+ extremely difficult to swich into

- slow, vulnerable to status
- struggles to get past special walls, but cripples them with Knock Off
- no recovery, can't use Leftovers, easily worn down

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Knock Off / Thunderbolt
ability: Levitate
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Quiet / Modest

Moves
========
- Volt Switch helps it pivot around threats
- Flamethrower roasts Escavalier, Mega Steelix and Durant, which would normally come in and KO and/or wall it; it is also faster than Escavalier, so that's convenient; also hits Grass-types, such as Virizion, that might come in to absorb a Volt Switch
- Giga Drain OHKOs Quagsire, does ~70% to Rhyperior; does ~30% to Mega Camerupt
- Knock Off removes Eviolites from NFEs such as Golbat, and removes the passive recovery of walls like Registeel; also removes Choice items like Tyrantrum's Choice Band; hits Meloetta fairly hard
- Thunderbolt is an Electric-type STAB to hit flying types if they use Roost without being forced to switch out; makes it a more reliable check
- Aqua Tail can be used in the last slot to hit Camerupt and literally nothing else

Set Details
========
- HP investment + AV to check Flying-types better
- Special Attack investment to pressure defensive teams, OHKO Escavalier / Rhyperior / etc
- Quiet if Knock Off / Aqua Tail, Modest if Thunderbolt
- move the 4 Attack EVs into Special Defense if running Thunderbolt

Usage Tips
========
- Just spam Volt Switch unless the opponent has a Ground-type or other Electric-immune Pokemon such as Jolteon
- vs. Quagsire and Rhyperior, there's no need to predict a switch-in; Eelektross is faster and OHKOs both with Giga Drain
- Use Thunderbolt vs. birds like Fletchinder if you suspect they'll Roost
- safe switch-in to Fletchinder, Golbat; check to Moltres, Braviary
- can only switch into birds so many times without Wish support b/c no recovery; a backup check such as AV Kabutops is great
- safely switches into Rhyperior due to Giga Drain and an EQ immunity
- needs to stay away from Toxic / burns due to its lack of recovery

Team Options
========
- Cleric support from Pokemon such as Audino, Aromatisse, and Lickilicky is very useful; cures it of crippling status
- Wish support from the likes of Alomomola and Aromatisse provides it with recovery
- VoltTurn teamstyles mesh well with it, as they all appreciate hazard support / removal and gain momentum, while sharing similar checks they can all wear down
- Hazard support helps Eelektross take advantage of the switches it forces with Volt Switch
- Hazard removal is great too, as it helps Eelektross check Flying-types, esp. Moltres, more reliably; however, it is not necessary
- Steel- or Fairy- types to handle Dragon-type switch-ins
- wallbreakers like Life Orb Moltres and Choice Band Pangoro appreciate the slow Volt Switch to get them in safely, as do cleaners such as Choice Scarf Durant

Other Options
########
- Expert Belt takes advantage of its great coverage at the heavy cost of special bulk
- Dragon Tail + Volt Switch lets it build momentum, but no room
- Acid Spray lowers Special Defense, letting Eelektross gain momentum
- ChestoRest lets it cure status and gives it some form of recovery
- Coil boosts Attack, Defense; SubCoil w/TPunch, Drain Punch getting a mention
- Iron Tail 2HKOs Aromatisse but has no other utility
- Super Fang wears down Specia walls without recovery such as Bronzong and Registeel
- Status moves like Toxic and Thunder Wave can cripple some common switchins, especially on offense, but means that it cannot use Assault Vest
- Drain Punch provides recovery from the physical side
- Choice Specs / Band provide a power increase at the huge cost of bulk
- Physically Offensive set of ThunderPunch / U-turn / Knock Off / Drain Punch | Aqua Tail

Checks & Counters
########
**Special Walls**: Eelektross struggles to break through Special walls that it cannot hit super effectively, such as Aromatisse and Audino.

**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types, such as Tyrantrum and Druddigon, can switch in for free against almost all of Eelektross' attacks and fire off powerful Dragon-type attacks.

**Physical Attackers**: Powerful physical attacks from the likes of Choice Band Tyrantrum, Choice Band Pangoro, and Reckless LO Hitmonlee can usually KO Eelektross; the sole exception is resisted attacks such as Fletchinder's Acrobatics.

**Status**: Thanks to its typing, Eelektross is immune to paralysis, however, status inflictions like burn or toxic are extremely detrimental to Eelektross. Burn damage causes Eelektross to lose its physical strength, making setup pointless. Toxic can slowly KO Eelektross, shortening its longevity.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
"- needs wish passing and clerical support to function effectively"
Instead of this, write that it has no recovery, can't utilize leftovers, and is easily worn down

[Moves]
For Knock Off, stress knocking off dragalge's specs on the switch, which is crucial. Flamethrower doesn't "roast" mega sceptile cuz its neutral but it does like 35-40%? so it's not that bad.

[Usage tips]
Stress out that you don't exactly have to predict around Rhyperior or Quagsire when using Volt Switch, because if they switch in you can simply giga drain the next turn. It's Mega Sceptile you should be worried about.

[Team Options]
this looks a bit thin. i don't think it /needs/ hazard removal, but eh. mention wish users (mola, aroma) and clerics (aroma etc) instead of just saying cleric/wish support. expand it a bit overall and put examples. most importantly: add voltturn mons and say that they work well together + hazards to wear down common checks etc.

the rest looks ok I guess

gonna wait before stamping this so other people take a look, sorry o.o

edit: ok some more stuff and a stamp:

- mention the pros and cons of both knock off and tbolt; knock off allows u to knock off valuable lefties, dragalge's specs on the switch, etc. tbolt lets u have a strong reliable STAB and better check to birds with roost

do all the above and consider it qc approved 1/3

Last edited:

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Implemented, thank you!

(also I said "roasted" b/c it hits regular form Sceptile really hard if it tries to switch in and get a free Mega Evolution off, but that's somewhat situational so edited) (also "roasted" was a pun hahahahahaha)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
- mention its ability to fit onto most teams that aren't Stall thanks to its slow pivoting abilities and the fact it's a great bird check
- it may not get past some special walls on its own, but knock off can cripple them. i'd at least mention that.
- most Dragons actually dislike Knock Off and are easily outsped, meaning a Volt Switch on their switch-in will force them back out most times. so i wouldn't say Eel lets them in for free at all.
- mention that its expansive movepool makes it really awkward to switch into for most teams

[Assault Vest]
- I'd mention HP Ice in moves for Gligar. Much easier to straight KO it with that than catch it on a Roost with Giga Drain. Also bones Mega Sceptile, which is nice
- Mention the need to be careful with its switch-ins for Pidgeot and Fletch since it has no recovery
- Mention that Eel really needs to stay away from Toxic (and burns if it runs Knock Off / Aqua Tail. still not advised though) since that just wears it down faster
- Note that it can come in on Rhyperior pretty easily thanks to Giga Drain and a Ground immunity
- In Team Options, mention wallbreakers / frail sweepers that really appreciate its slow Volt Switch. Pangoro, Dragalge, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Pidgeot are examples

[Other Options]
- Where is Expert Belt?
- Iron Tail / Flash Cannon drills Aromatisse. Gets nothing else though
- ChestoRest is fine. Charge Beam isn't. Way too slow
- Super Fang can take a slice out of special walls that can handle Eel's moves.
- Status moves like Toxic and T-Wave, but you can't run AV with them

Do all this and consider it QC Approved 2/3 @Expulso.

Expulso

Sorry to not mention this sooner, but I haven't forgotten about this; as Eelektross' viability is somewhat influenced by Mega Pidgeot, and one of its best checks is Dragalge, I plan to wait until the suspect test is over. Thanks!

Expulso

Triple posting to say I'll get back to is over the weekend, writing it up etc.

Expulso

All right, I believe I've removed all mentions of Gligar, Mega Sceptile, Mega Pidgeot, and Dragalge. Could a QC member kindly look over this and determine whether it's ready to be written up? Thanks :)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Spread should be 248 / 8 / 252 because it has no leftovers and I guess its worth it if you somehow switch into SR 8 times without taking a hit? LOL probably doesn't matter but I'd still prefer it.

looks good though, go ahead and write it up Expulso

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)