EE's 2011 Newark/VGC warstory

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Excellent narration there S4J as I can see why you're so popular on Youtube, as had it been down to 2 vs 1 I can see it would depend on the paralysis factor. Funny how one of my VGC 2010 matches ended in such fashion where my opponent's pokemon was fully paralyzed in that very last turn.

Anyways, with Shinkou's match, since his opponent's team appeared identical to the pokemon I was using with the exception that maybe his jellicent had water absorb instead of cursed body, we playtested what if his thunderus clone of mine (which had discharge instead of thunderbolt) did grass knot instead of thunderwave that first turn (here we go again, we need to learn how to use our thunderus better, I'll make note of it in my trade topic: use wisely). So now going into San Diego LCQs, as I hope to see others I have yet to meet, we need to better understand our damage calculations.

Timid Male Thundurus: 31/2/30/31/31/31 HP-Ice(70)
OT: EE(13473) (R4) AR cloned
Note: use wisely as mistakes made ultimately costed EE & Shinkou their Newark/VGC matches.
The great thing about Pokemon Online is that it automatically saves my logs so I can read them later and presents damage done so I can analyze them. Yes it doesn't feel the same as on wifi and oftentimes goes way to fast for me to keep up, but it helps when it comes to analyze things, which shall be important for my success at San Diego LCQ's, and maybe Worlds if I get top 8 at LCQ's.

It is also important not to get used to setting your Pokemon's HP to percentages like I was doing because knowing the actual numbers of your Pokemon's HP can be important.

Excellent narration there S4J as I can see why you're so popular on Youtube, as had it been down to 2 vs 1 I can see it would depend on the paralysis factor. Funny how one of my VGC 2010 matches ended in such fashion where my opponent's pokemon was fully paralyzed in that very last turn.
Thx so much for the compliments. I always do my best to make it enjoyable :)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
For those curious as to which team I was using at World's LCQ. Here it is:

Zuru (Scrafty) (F) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Detect
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Crunch

I liked the original japanese nickname of zuruzukin. Scrafty was an excellent disruption pokemon oftentimes starting off with fake out. While it was a tough decision to use it over krookodile, it was designed to be fast enough for tailwind yet bulky enough to take most hits as it can even survive explosion and other super effective attacks. Chople berry to survive fighting moves and dish back in return with drain punch as a stab move. detect over protect in case of imprison and crunch also as a stab move especially against most trickroom pokemon.

Borutorosu (Thundurus) (M) @ Charti Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

No change with this Newark VGC pokemon though I should not have used this pokemon in that fatal round 2 when up against an opponent with the thunderus/zebstrika combination.

Durbinator (Chandelure) (M) @ Ghost Gem
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave
- Trick Room

Named after James Durbin from American Idol. I went back to using chandelure over jellicent since its main selling point was dealing with trickroom pokemon as well as hitting both opponents hard with the egg move heat wave. trick room to anti if I had to which has actually worked in some wifi matches I've had in the past month.

Randy (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Quick Attack
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

The same terrakion I used in Newark though it never did see any action and should've selected it in that round 2 match.

KLyle (Amoonguss) (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 84 HP / 76 Def / 4 SAtk / 92 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Nicknamed after Kashif Lyle aka Sucker4Jessica my round 3 opponent from Newark. I decided to go for max speed to outspore opponent amoongus or to swiftly spore when tailwind was up. It did quite well in playtesting but not against a zebstrika.

Tornadus (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Atk / 84 Def / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Tailwind
- Protect

Different from Newark in that I took Human's recommendation to go with adamant and more bulk since its only attacking move is acrobatics anyways and hits just as hard as well.

For those that want to see the battle video of my relatively easy round 1 as I manage to avoid playing the 2008 LA regional winner Chris Tsai, here it is: 17-11901-60347
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpKPjw93OU (battle video courtesy of bearsfan092)

This opponent had what appeared to be a trick room, and just see the battle video so you can see how effective it was for my anti-trickroom setup if that was how it was supposed to be.

Anyways it was great seeing all the ones I met, and while I didn't get nor was taken in any photos that I was aware of, I hope we can do this all again soon.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I may have fought a similar Tornadus in my LCQ rd 3 loss against some girl...it seemed rather bulky and even without Gem, boy did its Acrobatics hit hard. I wasn't aware people ran anything besides Timid/Jolly but that seems like a far more logical spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)