Eevee team - OU RMT

Edits:
Updates in read.
Final Set in green (but still open for suggestions).

Team Overview:

I have before done a full Eevee team that worked great in platinum but with HG/SS I have been experiencing a few dificulty in the OU tier altough I do seem to win about 60% of the matches. Onward to the team individually.

The lead:
Rakurai (Jolteon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam

Comment: I chose Jolty as anti-lead of sorts. He can outspeed most of the current metagame leads and either roar them so they can't setup their hazards or simply kill them with his STAB thunderbolt or any of the other chosen moves. Shadow Ball is quite useful when taking care of leads such as Azelf and other who can resist thunderbolt such as Ttar and Heatran and Hidden Power grass for Swampert. Jolteon has been on my team since Pokemon Red so it was an obvious choice.

---

The Wall
Tsukiakari (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/200 Atk/56 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Payback
- Moonlight
- Curse
- Heal Bell

Comment: Seriously Umbreon is awesome... It can even serve as a sweeper which has happened quite alot. Spam Curse then Moonlight when taken damage Toxic to help with the health decay then payback them to death. Umbreon has awesome Def and SpD and is one of my favorite pokemon (as all the other eeveelutions) Toxic is for the walls and to try outlast and support payback damage.
---

Mixed Sweeper:
Kyuuzou (Flareon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 192 Atk/126 Spd/192 SAtk
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Superpower
- Overheat
- Return
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Comment: With awesome Atk and good enough SpA Flareon can deal with alot of the metagame pokemons such as lucario / Scizor and most walls like Blissey. Superpower is the main attack for this set even thou it's not STAB it can hit for quite alot of damage. Overheat is used for great STAB and to deal with breloom (after a spore switch into a focus punch) and for other common metagame pokemons such as magnezone. I'm not sure about my choice of item and Hidden Power element but for now it has been working ok.
---

Support:
Arashi (Vaporeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/70 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Ice Beam
/ Toxic

Comment: The standard Vappy with wish support and ice beam / surf as main attacks. Vappy works great in the current metagame and can easily take quite a few hits while lowering opposing pokemons. With the wish / protect combo vappy can provide nice heal across my team and quickly taking care of salamence / gliscor / flygon which is one of the main threats of my team. Surf is for STAB and to deal with heatran and Infernape and deal nice neutral damage to whomever doesn't fully resist it.
---

Physical Sweeper:
Shinrin (Leafeon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor / Grasswhistle
- Aerial Ace

Comment: My late game sweeper for this team. I usually enter on something so I can force a switch then SD to do massive damage. With one Swords dance it can deal devastating damage with STAB leaf blade and return. With 130 base defence it can take quite a few hits while setting up and having Synthesis will help with both hazard damage and life orb damage. X-Scissor is also an option to ponder since it can deal nice damage to whomever resists the Leaf Blade, Aerial Ace is there for the Fighters and Grass types and leafeon is just too power to leave out.
---

Special Sweeper:
Seishin (Espeon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Timid nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
-
Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Comment:
Espeon is a great special sweeper which can take out alot of pokemon even with neutral damage, Calm Mind is a move that I'm not quite sure of yet since I don't use it much it's just there for a "in case of..." Psychic for great STAB and to deal with the obnoxious machamp that I hate since I first saw him in PKM red.. Shadow Ball to balance out the damage output and is usually used to whomever resists Psychic. Hidden power ground provides great coverage and can deal which the pesky levitate ability.
---

Closing comments: And there we have it the eevee team. I want to compete in OU as I did previously in platinum and would like your output and constructive criticism so I can better this team to be more useful and powerful. Once again I'm still not quite sure on some of the items and HP elements I chose and I'm also looking to maybe change something to add Glaceon @ brightpowder but I'm not quite fond of that idea without Hail and setting up hail on Glaceon will maybe be a waste since it will only stay for a couple of rounds and if I'm lucky enough not to get caught agains a TTar or a Hippowdon.

I only want to use Eeveelutions obviously and would like reviews on the current team.

Final Team after a few weeks of testing this is the best I came up with (changed wish for moonlight on Umbreon because I need a more on the fly heal for him then wish 1 wish is good enough for the team and I don't even have to fall back to it much). Still if you guys still have any more suggestions please do post.

I would suggest that you use a choice scarf on your flareon and use this set:

EV's: 64HP 252Spe 192SpA
Nature: Naughty
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:

Fire Blast
Superpower
HP Grass
Return/Bite

With this set you can outspeed and revenge kill unsuspecting pokemon. Also fire blast does more damage in two turns that overheat.

Aside from that, your team looks pretty sturdy. ^_^ i love the eveelutions!

Ah...Eevee teams. I'm considering making one myself.
I'd change Hidden Power Grass to Hidden Power Ice on Jolteon. You already have Leafeon for your Grass coverage and HP Ice gives Jolteon the BoltBeam combination. It also helps cover common leads better.
Overall, your team is pretty good. I like it. (:

-Jen

I would suggest that you use a choice scarf on your flareon and use this set:

EV's: 64HP 252Spe 192SpA
Nature: Naughty
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:

Fire Blast
Superpower
HP Grass
Return/Bite

With this set you can outspeed and revenge kill unsuspecting pokemon. Also fire blast does more damage in two turns that overheat.

Aside from that, your team looks pretty sturdy. ^_^ i love the eveelutions!
As much as I love Fire Blast, if you're going choice scarf...you should go with Overheat. Overheat does more directly and has a better accuracy. Plus, you're most likely going to switch out since they'll switch in a counter. Just my 2 cents.

-Jen

I would personally run hp grass over hp ice, and use signal beam over roar. You don't have enough bulk with jolteon to roar, and thunderbolt already covers dragons.
Thunderbolt does neutral damage to Dragons and doesn't hit Flygon at all.

-Jen

agreed with Jen. HP does have better coverage than HP grass on my lead and I was thinking of getting signal beam instead of roar. Since I'm running scarfed flary I might go back to Overheat.

agreed with Jen. HP does have better coverage than HP grass on my lead and I was thinking of getting signal beam instead of roar. Since I'm running scarfed flary I might go back to Overheat.
Signal Beam might be a better choice over Roar, especially since things like Salamence and Gyarados cannot set up on you without the risk of being OHKO'd. Also, Signal Beam kills Azelf before it can explode on you.

-Jen

Signal Beam might be a better choice over Roar, especially since things like Salamence and Gyarados cannot set up on you without the risk of being OHKO'd. Also, Signal Beam kills Azelf before it can explode on you.

-Jen
Thunderbolt does enough damage to Azelf for a 2hko anyways. Almost all Azelf leads run Focus Sash so it doesn't really matter.

Roar is okay, but you could also try Substitute to block status coming from the common Roserade and Smeagle leads. And in that case you might try Leftovers.

Thunderbolt does enough damage to Azelf for a 2hko anyways. Almost all Azelf leads run Focus Sash so it doesn't really matter.

Roar is okay, but you could also try Substitute to block status coming from the common Roserade and Smeagle leads. And in that case you might try Leftovers.
That sounds like a good idea. Substitute and Baton Pass can also allow you to get a free set up if they try to taunt first and follow it up with stealth rock.
I'm starting to fall in love with this team lol.

-Jen

Use Hidden Power grass. If I recall correctly, Swampert was the second most common lead in March, and the only leads HP Ice is hitting is Gliscor, who is like 12th place, and Dragonite, which is even more rare. Gliscor players would most likely switch out anyways and not risk the chance that you have HP Ice. No one is going to switch a Salamence in on Jolteon, which takes like 60-70% from thunderbolt. And Flygons almost always use choice scarf and outspeed you, so you'll be forced to switch out from them anyways.

Just a nitpick: I don't understand the function of roar on your lead. Roar with lowered priority only leaves you prey to SR setup or Taunt, rendering your Roar useless. If your Vaporeon has Ice Beam and is bulky enough to use it, you might vie for HP Grass over it as with Jolteon being your lead, you won't be facing too many leads that would be hit harder with HP Ice than Tbolt. Tbolt can still tear holes in common dragons with often neutral damage, STAB, and Jolteon's enormous SpA. Question though what is the purpose of Expert Belt on Jolteon? Not saying you shouldn't have it just asking what specifically do you plan to tackle with Jolteon.

Something I believe previous raters didn't catch was the prevalence of both Shadow Ball and Psychic on your Espeon. Honestly you don't need... Ghost only hits Psychic and Ghost for super effective meaning you only get the extra benefit of hitting Psychic types many of which in OU would not be hit that hard by Shadow Ball anyways. Signal beam is a viable option as it hits the Psychic type that Shadow Ball would hit but it also helps you get more coverage in hitting Grass types It also may help with Dark types that your Espeon may have trouble with. (Though at that point you might as well just switch out as Espeon won't be taking any dark STABS kindly) There are other viable options though but I feel this one might be helpful despite your Leafeon maybe having X-Scissor?

Yayyyyyyyy another eeveelution fan=P

Let me touch on the Jolteon lead everyone seems to talk about. First, I'm doubting the Item choice here--I don't think it gives any new OHKO's or 2HKO's as far as I remember, but I might be completely wrong here. Second, I am really doubtful that this is a functioning lead anymore, especially with HP ice now. As a result of combination of both, it now loses to Metagross, Swampart, Mamoswine, Hippowdon, and 50-50 to Aerodactyl, etc. which really cannot be happening.(Meta/Hippowdon doesn't really care about the HP kind, but they really will thank you for the fact that you don't have just a little more damage output because you are barely missing the 2HKO at the moment)

Sub will take care of this problem, considering that they will SR first thinking that they can KO you sooner or later, and you can go for the 2HKO/(sadly which with Expert belt has low chance- so I personally recommend Life Orb instead of Expert Belt). If they straight out attack with EQ, then you get a switch in to vappy. Honestly while I think HP ice is superior in the long run/ sweeping purposes, it really loses you a lot of matchups in the lead position, considering that Swampart is such a presence in the Lead metagame.

Sorry this was a confusing jumbo of words/ my Engrish is rather bad. Summarize, another vote for HP grass, LO instead of Expert Belt, and Add substitute instead of roar.

Your will still get owned by a CM Jirachi/ Agiligross/ SD luke/ basically all steel type set-upper after a setup turn/ considering that you will be forced to try a risky switch to Flareon. But honestly I don't see anything that will help you with that/ considering that all Eeveelutions have subpar movepool, and unless you employ a flurrey of HP fire/ground, I say that's something all Eeveelution teams have trouble with. Overall, pretty nice team.

Thanks for the reply's I tested HP Ice and Signal beam which do infact work better in the long run if I get a swampert as lead I swich to leafy and OHKO them even if they don't use SR first and go straight for an EQ. HP Ice on jolty is quite good cause if I get stuck against a gliscor I will be pretty much useless in case of team wipe and so on. I'm going to tryout using Life Orb on Jolty although I don't like it much cause of his low HP and the 10% hp loss can hurt so we'll see signal beam I'm still not convinced with might try sub/leftovers but will most likely change the EV's which also won't help much cause of his low base HP still testing ^^. Also might think of adding Glaceon for testing purposes but I see no benefit for him tbh.

Hi i like your team that youve made here, i love most of the Eeveelutions and like seeing that people are making teams based off of them. That being said, i have a couple suggestions to offer. Seeing as how you want Jolteon as an anti lead, i think you should use HP grass. Yes as jenica said, you can hit "some" dragons with Hidden Power ice for a OHKO but Dragons arent common leads. Jenica also mentioned that you couldnt hit Flygon, even if you had HP ice it wouldnt kill one based off if its a typical Choice Scarf Flygon which is almost always the only Flygon people use. So in that case HP ice doesnt matter for Flygon since it will most likely outpace you and beat you with a Earthquake.

Also i think you should get rid of Toxic on Umbreon and give it Heal Bell for status support.

Your team is extremely weak to DD Salamence although I'm not quite sure what can be done to remedy this problem. Umbreon is the only member of your team who can take a +1 Outrage but with the EVs you have given it, it never survives due to Stealth Rock. As some people have suggested, you should replace HP Ice on Jolteon with HP Grass. HP Ice won't be hitting Scarf Flygon with them outspeeding you. Also, Salamence outspeeds Jolteon after a Dragon Dance anyway. HP Grass (iirc) OHKOs Standard Lead Swampert, which I'm sure you would like.
I think Umbreon should take a more supportive route for your team, as you have 4 sweepers anyway (5 if you count Umbreon). I recommend having Heal Bell in Toxic's place, and Wish in Moonlight's place. Wish>Moonlight because of Tyranitar, who is the 2nd most used pokemon in OU currently, judging from March statistics. You could try testing Roar > Curse as pHazing Salamence/Metagross will be a great help.
Flareon should either stay with the current set or changed to the Choice Scarf set which has been recommended.
No problems with Vaporeon.
On Leafeon, I think X-Scissor should eb the recommended move instead of Synthesis, purely because of Tyranitar and weather teams (except Sunny Day ones).
Grass Knot is not needed on Espeon if you opt to have HP Grass on Jolteon, due to the only pokemon you should actually be hitting with Grass Knot is Suicune. And even then, you should be probably be using Leafeon, or Jolteon if it's not Crocune. Shadow Ball hasn't got particularly great coverage when you have Psychic, as Rotom/Rotom-a are the only pokemon you should be hitting with it (And maybe Celebi).
Signal Beam > Shadow Ball is probably something you could try out, as it iirc OHKO's Celebi. You should also have a Timid nature on Espeon because Max speed Base 100s (e.g. Jirachi) will otuspeed you if you have Modest. I'll post an Umbreon set when I edit this one.

Edit: The Umbreon set looks fine now, but I'm not too sure about the EVs and Curse.

Ah...Eevee teams. I'm considering making one myself.
Though you were gonna use Glaceon over Flareon before I convinced you. :P

Overheat does more directly and has a better accuracy. Plus, you're most likely going to switch out since they'll switch in a counter. Just my 2 cents.
Overheat is needed because Flareon is a physical Pokemon and when he does use a Special move he needs it to hit always and hard to make up for his only acceptable base stat in Special Attack he won't mind the Harsh Special Attack drop because most teams probably won't have 2 Pokemon Flareon is better off hitting specially then Physically he'll just be either switching out due to a counter or switching back to Physical after that Overheat.

Done some changes as were suggested in previous posts and it does infact work better.

@ Quickster I tried X-Scissor in place of synthesis and it does provide better coverage but that loss of heal does have a bit of a disadvange because of Life orb but it's working which is what matters. Going to try using a timid natured Espeon and see how that works out.

Done some changes as were suggested in previous posts and it does infact work better.

@ Quickster I tried X-Scissor in place of synthesis and it does provide better coverage but that loss of heal does have a bit of a disadvange because of Life orb but it's working which is what matters. Going to try using a timid natured Espeon and see how that works out.
Don't worry about having individual recovery. More wishes. Only a single wish on an eevee team is blasphemous. Give Umbreon and Vaporeon wish minimum, though I'd try to find room for it on Leafeon too.

Changed Espeon to Timid and added Signal Beam instead of Grass Knot seems to work better as I didn't use Grass Knot that often on espy.

Also changed jolty's HP to grass after a few matches I miss HP ice since i got matched up again Gliscor / Roserade leads but then again was just a few matches I'll have further testing to do.

Definitely keep HP Grass over Ice. Swampert is currently the second most popular OU lead according to Shoddy and it's popularity is continuing to rise while Azelf's popularity is going down. Gliscor is still at like 10th place.

Shadow Ball to balance out the damage output and is usually used to whomever resists Psychic.
Balance out the damage output? Can you explain what that means? As far as I see, that doesn't actually makes sense. Also, Shadow Ball hits whomever resists Psychic?!

Psychic is resisted by Psychic and Steel. Dark is immune to it as well. Shadow Ball can't hit Dark and it can't hit Steel. Huh? It only hits Psychic types and Ghost types which you can hit with STAB Psychics anyways. Due to STAB and its higher base power, despite it being neutral, Psychic would hit Ghosts pretty hard. I'd say drop Shadow Ball definitely for something else. CM is a cool option. You may also vie for Reflect to have a better chance against DD Mence. You should vie for Roar on Umbreon so that it can go full support as opposed to a lackluster supporter and a lackluster sweeper in one. With a Reflect up, you will have a much easier time dealing with DDMence.

I agree that you should have two wishers as well because while it may seem redundant it actually opens up a plethora of options for you due to the frailty and rather mediocre typing of the Eevolutions. Last thing is that I don't think you really need three bug type moves. Bug moves provide horrendous coverage but then again with these shallow movepools there may not be much you can do about it.

Balance out the damage output? Can you explain what that means? As far as I see, that doesn't actually makes sense. Also, Shadow Ball hits whomever resists Psychic?!
While true Shadow Ball would still be able to OHKO ghosts and other Psychics while psychic would not... that's the reason for shadow ball.

What ghosts are you trying to OHKO can you give me some pokes so I can run some calculations? Thank you. And Signal Beam cover Psychics already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)