1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

EeveeTrainer's Pokémon Shangri-La

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Jumpman16, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

this is obviously based on his sharked pokemon thread, which he reposted several times in the wi-fi forum. since we're actually friends (and he knows how few of these he has in the community) i figured i'd talk to him about it, to see if he'd be any more sensible in a more private forum...guess not.

dont even think of commenting about not liking chatlogs, i could not care less i have to be up in like six hours and shit like this makes me wonder why i "waste" so much of my time on pokemon

igarvey wants to directly connect.
    igarvey is now directly connected.
    igarvey: Let's be forthright! The pokemon that follow are ALL SHARKED. However, they are SHARKED PERFECTLY. That is, they are UNDISTINGUISHABLE from legit Pokemon (ie, you can use the "legit as far as I can tell" excuse). I am the official Nintendo United States Pokemon Champion and have participated in numerous official Nintendo events. ALL OF THE FOLLOWING POKEMON APPEAR 100% LEGIT TO NINTENDO. Because sharking to appear legit actually takes more skill than mindlessly biking up and down Solaceon (with less wasted time), I have no moral qualms in offering these. PM me for inquiries.

Have (* = can be cloned):
    *BAGON 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Modest - Lv5 - w/ Hydro Pump
    *CELEBI 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Bold - Lv50 (OT: 10 ANIV, ID: 00010)
    *CHANSEY 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Bold - Natural Cure - Lv5 - w/ Aromatherapy
    *GLIGAR 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Impish - Sand Veil - Lv5
    *JIRACHI 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Impish - Lv5 (OT: WISHMKR, ID: 20043 ID)
    *LARVITAR 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Jolly - Lv5 - w/ Dragon Dance
    *LARVITAR 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Adamant - Lv5 - w/ Pursuit
    *MAGIKARP 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Adamant - Lv5
    *RHYHORN 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Impish - Rock Head - Lv5
    *SKARMORY 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Impish - Sturdy - Lv5 w/ Drill Peck & Roar
    *SLOWPOKE 31/31/31/30/31/31 - Bold - Own Tempo - Lv5 - HP ELECTRIC 70
    *STARYU 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Timid - Natural Cure - Lv5
    *SUICUNE 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Bold - Lv50

My friend code: 5111 9988 1979.

Enjoy!

- EeveeTrainer / Ian Garvey

JumpXVI: lol
    JumpXVI: you cloned your suicune??????
    The connection with igarvey was not successful. Make sure that your Buddy is using the latest version of AIM. Changing your settings in the Firewall preference may help. Also both you and your Buddy may need to adjust the settings of the firewall software on your individual networks.
    JumpXVI: good luck getting through this by the way
    igarvey: they banned me censorship bastards
    igarvey: if you dont want sharked pokemon, dont fucking even go in the thread
    JumpXVI: you broke the rules and you are banned because of it
    igarvey: not for long

JumpXVI: we know
    igarvey: besides i can evade any bans i want to
    JumpXVI: i dont really care though
    JumpXVI: again, we know
    igarvey: i know you agree with me so whatever
    JumpXVI: we get your point too
    JumpXVI: dont you get tired of this though
    igarvey: no
    JumpXVI: agree with what exactly
    igarvey: ive been adamant about this since 2000

igarvey: that breeding is a waste of time and that people who shark for iv's arent a problem
    igarvey: in fact if everyone sharked for 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon it'd make the game better, yo'd agree
    JumpXVI: that is what competitor is for ian
    igarvey: hm
    igarvey: there is no such thing
    JumpXVI: dont pretend wifi and competitor should be the same
    JumpXVI: lol are you seriously making a point based on the fact that competitor isn't out yet
    JumpXVI: that's dumb

igarvey: wifi and competitor SHOULD be the same
    igarvey: and can be if we change the stupid norm about sharkin
    JumpXVI: get off your soapbox
    igarvey: hey im not a random i have a right to soapbox
    JumpXVI: or at least make your points in a civil manner when you're on it
    igarvey: it was a civil manner
    igarvey: i posted
    JumpXVI: you broke the rules
    igarvey: what i did was far far more respectable than those fuckers who post sharked pokemon and try to pass them off as legit
    JumpXVI: stop trying to be the fucking malcolm x of pokemon ian
    igarvey: like jibaku's jirahi

JumpXVI: i have to go to bed
    JumpXVI: not that i should be indulging you anyway
    JumpXVI: you live for this
    igarvey: whatever i know you agree with me
    JumpXVI: im the only person who puts up with you, me and Avatar
    JumpXVI: not really
    JumpXVI: why else would i "bike up and down solaceon"
    JumpXVI: go ahead and call me a retard
    JumpXVI: see what happens to half of your friends in the pokemon community
    igarvey: i know you agree with me
    JumpXVI: do i really have to copy and paste ian
    igarvey: and i know you bike up and down solaceon because youre not willing to make the point you believe in
    JumpXVI: do i

JumpXVI: the point is that you think competitor and wifi should be the same
    JumpXVI: dont try arguing anything else
    igarvey: yep they should
    JumpXVI: because that is what it will come back to
    JumpXVI: ok then focus on that
    JumpXVI: and don't talk about other shit in a roundabout way
    JumpXVI: that's annoying
    JumpXVI: and more a waste of time than anything i've ever done in solaceon or past mauville

JumpXVI: we're done for now
    igarvey: my nature varies apparently
    igarvey: right now i feel very adamant
    igarvey: i can see how it raises attack because i want to punch surgo in the face
    JumpXVI: ironic how you want to deck the creator of a medium that makes your notion of "the perfect pokemon world" possible
    JumpXVI: as if you won't play competitor
    JumpXVI: you make me laugh, ian

igarvey: surgo is the creator???
    igarvey: whatever it's stupid talking to you since i know youre just playing devils advocate
    JumpXVI: dont insult me
    igarvey: i didnt insult you lol
    JumpXVI: do you really think i would haved biked hundreds of hours in emerald with a shark AND an AR months before you even thought of posting your stupid thread
    igarvey: i know youre only doing that because you feel the community doesnt agree with your true feelings
    igarvey: so you give in
    igarvey: i did it too
    JumpXVI: you need some sleep
    JumpXVI: and so do i
    JumpXVI: peace
  2. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Okay my summary of this and my side of the story, here goes:

When we made the wifi forum, I put in the rules something about not offering up sharked pokemon. I did this because I felt it was right at the time, and in a way I still do though I'm a bit wavery about it now -- I didn't feel like it was good to give Smogon the reputation of trading sharked shit. I wouldn't really care if Nintendo didn't read our boards whenever there was an official tournament that our members entered but, whatever, we can (and should) discuss the rule in another thread in this forum. Suffice it to say that I made the rule, and recently I started enforcing the rule.*

At some point after I started enforcing the rule ET got somewhat mad about this enforcement for whatever reason, I think it started as a challenge to me to "prove that I sharked these". Someone with a better idea of what happened can chime in here. At some point he edited his thread to have a bunch of 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon. I locked this thread about 10 minutes later. He posted more. I deleted them.

At this point he started going off on how we're all censoring republican bastards etc. et al but also made mention about how he "just wants to be able to provide sharked pokemon to those who ask for them, when I clearly label that they are sharked". I don't believe a word that comes out of that kid's mouth personally, but if he really feels that way he is quite welcome to take it up with official channels in a polite, and correct, method. This is where the problem lies.

He did not do this at all. He decided to post personal threads, make threats in the chat, and generally do the usual EeveeTrainer behavior. Regardless of what I think about posting clearly-labelled sharked pokemon, I am not having any of this at all. Instead of trying to get the rules changed in the correct way, he decides to try to undermine my authority with his bullshit. That's not right and I'm not about to let him get away with that bullshit. If he wants a pissing contest, he'll find someone who's even more stubborn than he is and is determined to not bend over backwards in order to satisfy him**. If he WANTS to get the rule changed he can go through proper channels. He didn't. Thus, here we are now.

* By "enforcing the rule" I mean "if I can tell your pokemon is sharked, I will not allow that". If I can't tell your pokemon is sharked, I really won't give a shit. I really do encourage people to trade well-sharked Wish Chanseys all across the four internet winds.

** This brings up another point. It seems to me that everyone has been bending over backwards to satisfy this kid and he is basically like a little kid who is used to always getting his way whenever he pushes a little bit. This may not be the day or the issue it's going to happen, but eventually all this is going to reach its logical conclusion and we should acknowledge that and be ready for that day.
  3. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

theres definitely a debate to be made with the wifi forum and sharking rules if there hasnt been a proper one already.

But ET doesnt know how to argue and imposes his crap implying the rules should be changed because he doesnt like them and if they are not, he will protest in pretty much the same usual ways he does it, which is spam the place with threads mocking the existing rules, recreating every thread locked or deleted over and over again and evading bans flaunting that we cant ban him and that he wont ever stop etc.

He'd find many people actually agree with his arguments about the wifi forum rules but he has to make a statement a la ET once again, defy the rules because he can and be a total ass until he eventually gets banned instead of arguing about rules he doesnt agree with properly.
  4. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'm not really sure how much longer the Wi-Fi forum is going to be a problem. If I recall correctly, chaos said that it would be frozen when the site was released since its function will be filled by the trade center. Is there any way we could just skirt the issue until then?

I say that because I find myself not having a problem with sharked pokemon as long as they appear legit to nintendo, and I think a lot of people might feel the same. If we rail against all forms of sharking and the use of AR we may drive away a portion of users that we'd otherwise like to keep around.
  5. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Hear hear. I've been sick of this for a long time, as sad as it is for him to lose Jumpman as an ally, I'm glad that he's self-destructing.
  6. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

ET presents a unique problem. He has an unjustified sense of entitlement regarding the Smogon community that, if found in a different user, could be handled with a swift ban. That does not function in his case, so he must be handled differently. Giving in to his whims is not a solution, but a middle ground that favors our position should be sought until we find a way to remove him entirely.

Surely I'm not the only one here that remembers all the problems he caused for us a few months ago when we simply tried to ban him out of our lives. Hell, we were so desperate then to be rid of the problems he was causing that skarm contacted Georgetown (his university and internet provider at the time) to help us. He has to be handled and contained... and it has to be done with a bit more finesse than we have chosen to employ in the past. We have tried the "ban on sight" method for the past couple of years... and failed. I don't know what the solution to the ET problem is, and I know it is not my place to make policy for the site, but I really think it is time to try something different.
  7. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

It failed because he could DDOS our NetBattle server, which was running on someone's cable connection. When the WiFi Trade Center and Competitor come out, he's going to be powerless and we will resort to straight up banning him again. There is no way he can find enough manpower to DDOS a 100mbit connection, this dedicated server will rip him a new asshole.

Dealing with him on the forums seems like it will be pretty easy: Moderate user registrations, and check out all the IPs for proxies. Can Super Mods moderate user registrations? (Check Mod CP)

edit: no you can't. I'll add more admins then... I have a few in mind.
  8. Hazerider

Hazerider

That sounds boring as hell, but it seems the only way. And no, I don't think we can. I only see "moderate posts", "moderate threads", "moderate attachments" and "moderate events". Is that it?
  9. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

If there are multiple admins doing it then its really easy and won't take much time. Checking IPs is a quick Google Search away...
  10. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag

It really wasn't that bad, Hazerider, when we googled tons of IP's to hunt down Bob on NB.
  11. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Yeah, we can't do it (referring to managing user sign-ups here). I'm all for ban-on-sight if all else fails, though he has such easy access to new proxy's that it may take ages, if it is even doable to completely ban him. I wish there was a way to get the best out of ET without taking the flipsides with it...he is a brilliant troll and I like some (but not all) of his ideas about strategy, but he always has to resort to retarded logic and ways of doing things that just grinds nerves.

I think showing Smogon as a completely legit trading site attracts more users than one that tolerates sharking. I think it's as simple as this: Wi-Fi is a reflection of how much time you put in and how much luck you have (in other words, how much dedication), whereas Competitor shows what you would do if you had access to everything legit, shifting the focus to team building and battling skill. If you're going to shark for Pokemon with perfect IVs and such, why not just play Competitor (assuming it's released...perhaps ET wouldn't be such a pest if he had some way to play D/P in a NetBattle-way).
  12. Hazerider

Hazerider

ET has a lot more patience than Bob, though, but it still should be easy enough I guess.
  13. chaos

chaos
    Owner

The difference he can't do damage. He won't even be able to register without an admins approval, and with multiple people checking throughout the day to approve/disapprove users it will be easy.
  14. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I don't really have a lot of input here but I'd be very happy if some plan of action came out of this thread - honestly I didn't really have any idea what even to do with ET when he started doing this shit. vnotice wasn't nearly as useful as it normally is at giving me a good course of action so I was just lock/deleting until other people took over... banning ET tends to be so futile that I wasn't even sure it was worth bothering to infract him.

I don't think what ET was trying to argue here is totally of the map but man, the way he went about doing it is stupid... I don't have any sort of actual power on IRC so I'm pretty powerless to get rid of him there, but I'd really us to keep banning him(and obviously I'll help if he posts somewhere I can infract him, lol) on the forums... it's been mentioned exhaustively but I can't even count the amount of times it seems like we've given in to him as a community in the past and nothing pisses me off more than us doing so; I'd really like to try and show him that ban evading and whining and flooding doesn't necessarily get him everything he wants. Evidently once Competitor comes out this will be almost a non-issue, but in the mean time...
  15. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag

chaos already proposed the solution, Synre. : )
  16. chaos

chaos
    Owner

How many times am I going to say this? We don't ban him on the forums. He simply does not register.
  17. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I think what I wanted to get at there was based on what has happened in the past I have a hard time accepting that ET finding a way back in eventually isn't an inevitability(and because of that having a reactive backup wouldn't be a terrible addition)... I suppose I'll see soon enough.
  18. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Will we be waiting until the release of Competitor to put on the moderated signups and start the exile, or will this be something I should expect happening in the near future? Just so I know how I should react if I see him anywhere.
  19. havoc

havoc pottlepalooza
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I propose ET be the next Sanders in terms of gimmick-making, don't mean to make fun of a topic that's plagued us for a while but you know!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)