OU Effective Combinations in the OU Metagame

I think a rather well known one is Gliscor + Jirachi + Rotom-W
Gliscor serves as the physical wall and stops Excadrill and others such as Garchomp (now banned) cold. Jirachi provides Special bulk and can pass wishes to both Gliscor and Rotom-W, both of whom lack reliable recovery. Rotom-W provides good resistances and typing as well as some power in Hydro Pump. Also, burn support.

But this thread shouldn't really exist as there is already an identical one in place >.>
You mean the boltbeam thread? I like this one better because it has greater detail.
Also, Azumarill and Breloom make a great combo. Its not perfect, but breloom can kill bulky waters that wall azumarill while it can kill volcarona infernape and other fire types that kill breloom

Stratos

Banned deucer.
You mean the boltbeam thread? I like this one better because it has greater detail.
Also, Azumarill and Breloom make a great combo. Its not perfect, but breloom can kill bulky waters that wall azumarill while it can kill volcarona infernape and other fire types that kill breloom
The other one is still on the front page, just look.

The title is "effective combinations in the BW metagame"

I think Terrakion and Houndoom as a combo is pretty neat.

Houndoom Uses Beat Up on Terrakion for a x6 (With a full party) Boost from Terrakion's ability Justified (Everytime hit with a Dark Type Move it gets a boost) , allowing a nice and quick set up for Terrakion to sweep.

I should explain in greater detail, but I'm new to this so I'll just roll with this. ._.
Houndoom is SLOWER than Terakion. A better Beat Up-er is Whimsicott which is a highly effective doubles lead anyway. I believe the combo is used in VGC.

The other one is still on the front page, just look.

The title is "effective combinations in the BW metagame"
Yeah, but that thread was dead for a good three months. Then someone necro'd it literally after I made this thread.

I think there's a difference between the Pokemon threads and threads like this. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to ask a mod about it.

My combination is Dream world Politoed and Dragonite, the ones I use are both bulky since speed on both of them is below average. Politoed can damage most things with its boosted Scald, but other water types and grass are my main problem, thats where Dragonite comes in, resistances to both those types and also the rain from Politoed increases Hurricane and Thunders accuracy to 100%.

dragonite + gliscor + dual screens + ice resist

it seems like a lot but dragonite and gliscor are the biggest pains in the asses to take out when played right, dragonite with multiscale is rarely even OHKO'd (he's basically 2HKO'd) and gliscor is the best physical wall in the game, with dual screen support, they're just down and outright impossible to kill, then you get your arbitrary ice resist pokemon added to the group and just watch as they stall everything

Huntail/ Gorebyss + Scizor.

Huntail/Gorebyss @ Focus Sash/White Herb
Nature: Timid/Jolly
Ability: Politoed is banned in OU so it doesn't matter
252 Spe/ 176 HP/ 76 Def

Shell Smash
Baton Pass
Aqua Tail
Protect

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant/ Jolly
Ability: Technician
252 Atk/ 252 Spe

Endure
Reversal

Bullet Punch
Bug Bite

Have you ever seen a 1 HP Reversal with a +2 from Shell Smash on Scizor? 1 Hit KO's almost everything thats not Ghost type, EVEN a few heavily defensive pokes and mons that resist it. Ive OHKO'd a Nidoking, Non Crit, a Stall Snorlax, Non Crit, and Eviolite Chansey.... and Technician Bullet Punch 2Hit KO's Eviolite Dusclops

oh and

Start of turn 5
Scizor used Reversal!
The foe's Milotic lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Milotic fainted!

Yep. that awesome

What of the Regenerator 'core' of switching between:

Regenerator Tangrowth (Eviolite Tangela?)
and...
Regenerator Slowbro / Regenerator Slowking

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Reversal sweeping works a lot better if you have something with higher speed, also priority screws you overt.

The BW Core Thread

Mods: I'm not sure if there is a similar thread, but if there is please lock this

Here you can post any cores that you or others have used in the metagame that have proven to be very effective. And please, post unique cores that aren't standard. Don't post things like Magnezone and Salamence >.<

Here's my example:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
Bold Nature
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def

- Scald
- Earth Power/Ice Beam
- Stockpile/Toxic
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Timid Nature
252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earth Power/ Roar

Skarmory@ Leftovers
Sturdy
Careful Nature
252 HP/252 Sp Def/4 Def

- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Taunt

This core is very anti weather, and is especially hard on Rain and Sandstorm. Gastrodon is the central pokemon, being able to wall Politoed, Rotom W, Tyranitar, some Gliscor, some Thundurus and Heatran. Skarmory is able to shut down stall with Taunt, Phaze away any boosts, and set up Spikes. Heatran is probably the best Toxic Spreader in the game, and is very hard to take down. However, this core needs a pokemon to counter Fighting types, namely Conkeldurr, Scrafty, and Virizion. This team also appreaciates Wish Support. So, some other good teammates for this core are SubDisable Gengar and Haxrachi.

Synergy
Gastrodon
Grass ->Skarmory or Heatran

Heatran
Water->Gastrodon
Ground->Skarmory
Fighting-> ______

Skarmory
Electric->Gastrodon
Fire->Heatran or Gastrodon

Keep the quality of this thread as high as possible. Images, movesets, and an explanation are essential. Extras such as Synergy charts are helpful as well.

None yet.

I have a core of Cresselia, Azumarill, and Hitmontop
Bold Cress@ flame orb
252 hp, 130spdef 124 Def
-Psycho shift
-Psychic
-rest
-sleeptalk
Adamant Technitop @ leftovers
-Mach punch
-Close Combat
-Suckerpunch
-fake out
Adamant Azumarill @ Expert Belt
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Ice punch
-Superpower
The object of this core is to support cresselia. Hitmontop kills darktypes, mainly houndoom and T-Tar, that walk over Cress while Azumarill Kills fire types that cant be burned, mainly volcarona and Darmanitan
I have trouble with scizor and Jellicent so I run sub roost Zapdos with heat wave to kill these threats.
Some of you may recognize this and have faced me on Random Matchups.
Comments/Criticisms?

I am using a Stoutland, Flygon, Golurk on my Sand team.

Stoutland carries Fire Fang for those Ice Types, Golurk covers those pesky Fighting types, Flygon also carries Fire Blast and has U-Turn for those Dark Types that threaten Golurk.

Golurk @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Punch
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Stoutland (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 Def / 56 SDef / 144 Spd
- Wild Charge
- Frustration
- Crunch
- Fire Fang

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

This core has served me well and got me ranked 256 on the PO server.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
quick mod merge this twice.

there's one called "effective combos in the BW metagame" and another called "Combos in OU"

Presenting the Gliscor / Empoleon core, which is well suited to phasing, scouting, setting up rocks and threatening certain opponents. The core is also completely immune to Poison and Sandstorm damage.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Toxic
- Taunt / Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar
- Knock Off

The core can set up hazards, spread status, remove items and phase, letting you soften up opponents significantly if you're running a Sandstorm stall team to later be wrecked by Latias or Cradily. Furthermore, Gliscor's weaknesses to Water and Ice are completely covered by Empoleon, whilst Empoleon's weaknesses to Ground, Fighting and Electric are completely covered by Gliscor.

Talking about Gliscor, he stalls really well combined with Tentacruel.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb / Impish / Poison Heal
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge / Calm / Rain Dish
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD

- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Hex

Not only resisting each other's weaknesses, with Tentacruel laying down Toxic Spikes, Gliscor acts as a efficient Toxic Staller and does a good job against pokes immune to Toxic Spikes. Steel and Poison types won't like taking an Earthquake and Flying types are hit with Ice Fang. Substitute + Protect Gliscor is pretty similar to Stallrein without the need of Hail. Poison Heal and Toxic Orb will give Gliscor more longevity while Rain Dish and Black Sludge make sure that Tentacruel stays healthy as well (having Rain yourself will benefit).

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Offensive Combination: Choice Scarf Rotom + Choice Band Infernape

Rotom@Choice Scarf
- Levitate

~Hydro Pump
~Volt Switch
~Thunder
~Trick

+

Infernape@Choice Band
- Iron Fist

~Close Combat
~Mach Punch
~Flare Blitz
~U-turn

In addition to simply being good Pokemon in general, they both complement each other well offensively while switching constantly with Volt Switch / U-turn.

Infernape generally U-turns to Rotom-W early game on the Jellicent / Gliscor / Gyarados switchins, all of which do not like Rotom-W. Rotom-W Volt Switches to Infernape early game on the Ferrothorn / Virizion switchins. Infernape's Mach Punch can deal significant damage to Pokemon that Rotom-W cannot outspeed, such as Excadrill in Sand and Rock Polish Terrakion. Additionally, Rotom-W provides generalized support to Infernape (whose utility may be slightly reduced) against Rain teams, dealing massive damage with either Hydro Pump or Thunder.

Should either be locked into non-optimal moves, Rotom-W can take the Water / Ground attacks directed at Infernape, and Infernape can take the Grass attacks directed at Rotom-W.

One issue this combo has is the Latis twins; while it is optimal if they switch into Infernape's U-turn, if instead they switch into Rotom-W's Volt Switch, you will most likely need a Steel Pokemon, like Bronzong or Jirachi, heavily invested in Special Defense to handle them.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hydreigon@Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast

+

Terrakion@Choice Band
Ability:Justified
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor

This is probably one of my favorite offensive duo's this gen. Hydreigon is a really good wall breaker with excellent coverage. Not many things can switch into this guy unless they're a dedicated special wall. It also barely outspeeds haxorus, who is slowly rising in usage it seems.

CB Terrakion is another great wallbreaker and can beat everything that hydreigon can't. For example, hydreigon is walled by blissey and chansey, while terrakion can get a free switch into those mons and KO it with close combat. Basically if you aren't resisting one of Terrakion's STAB attacks, you are going to get atleast 2HKO'd.

One combo I've heard is Zoroark + Infernape. Infernape is the best Zoroark disguise because they learn many common moves, like Nasty Plot and Flamethrower. Plus, both are fast and hit hard, adding to the illusion.

If the opponent is fooled they'll likely send in a Psychic-type to quickly take care of what they think is Infernape. Suddenly they get taken care of by a surprise Dark Pulse! If you use HP Ice or Electric, surprise fliers can be taken care of too, as well as waters or grounds depending on your choice of HP.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, I'd like to compile the good ones / well explained ones into an article in the future; would love it if more good battles posted their stuff!

tehy

Banned deucer.
A great offensive core:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Since some of exca's greatest counters are skarmory, bronzong, and gliscor, as well as slowbro, tangrowth, and nattorei, switch in zapdos. It can roost for healing, and leftovers are for not being outstalled.

Why not Adamant Excadrill? Believe it or not, it actually may need Jolly to outspeed stuff like Choice Scarf Emolga in the sandstorm. Obviously Emolga itself easily loses to Excadrill anyway, unless, say, it's packing u-turn and it u-turns away, but you get the idea.

Presenting the Gliscor / Empoleon core, which is well suited to phasing, scouting, setting up rocks and threatening certain opponents. The core is also completely immune to Poison and Sandstorm damage.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Toxic
- Taunt / Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar
- Knock Off

The core can set up hazards, spread status, remove items and phase, letting you soften up opponents significantly if you're running a Sandstorm stall team to later be wrecked by Latias or Cradily. Furthermore, Gliscor's weaknesses to Water and Ice are completely covered by Empoleon, whilst Empoleon's weaknesses to Ground, Fighting and Electric are completely covered by Gliscor.
Just wanted to say this combo looks AMAZING and I really want to try it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)