Effects Overload

Approved by The Eevee General
Effects Overload
Welcome to Effects Overload! In this meta, the effects of moves, items, and Abilities are increased! How so? Here are the rules:
  • Healing and critical hit/stat stage changes are doubled.
  • Things that multiply/divide something by a factor > 2 have that factor multiplied by 1.5. This applies to the above as well.
  • Things that multiply/divide something by a factor < 2 have that factor squared.
  • Priority is unaffected, as everything would scale evenly and nothing would wind up changing.
Note that the Overload only applies to the effects of the moves, not their probabilities. Sorry, no 100% Sacred Fire burns or Air Slash flinches.

Overload Examples
  • Giga Drain heals 50% 100% of the damage dealt.
  • Draining Kiss heals 75% 150% of the damage dealt.
  • Aqua Ring heals 1/16 1/8 of the user's health at the end of every turn.
  • Recover heals 50% 100% of the user's health.
  • Cross Poison has a +1 +2 critical hit ratio, but it still has just a 10% chance to poison.
  • Bulk Up raises the user's Attack and Defense 1 2 stages each.
  • Cotton Guard raises the user's Defense 3 5 stages.
  • Feather Dance lowers the foe's Attack 2 3 stages.
  • Focus Energy increases the user's critical hit ratio by 2 3 stages.
  • Smelling Salts deals double triple damage on a foe that is paralyzed.
  • Knock Off does 50% 125% more damage on a foe that is holding an item.

• Regenerator recovers 33.33333...% 66.66666...% of the user's health when it switches out.
  • Adaptability raises the STAB multiplier by 33.33333...% 77.77777...% to x2 x2.66666...
  • Speed Boost raises the user's Speed by 1 2 at the end of every turn.
  • Sheer Force gives a 30% 69% boost to moves that have a secondary effect.
  • Sniper raises the critical hit multiplier by 1.5 2.25 to x2.25 x3.375.
  • Filter decreases the power of super-effective moves by 25% 43.75%.
  • Huge Power doubles triples the user's attack.
  • Flame Body still has a 30% chance to burn the user of a contact move.

• Leftovers heals 1/16 1/8 of the user's health at the end of every turn.
  • Petaya Berry raises the user's Sp. Attack by 1 2 stages when the holder is at < 25% of their health.
  • Muscle Band increases the power of Physical moves by 10% 21%.
  • Choice Scarf multiplies the user's Speed by 1.5 2.25.
  • Icy Rock increases the duration of Hail by 60% 156% to 8 13 turns.
  • Big Root increases healing by 30% 69%.
  • Coba Berry divides the power of a super-effective Flying type move by two three.

Feel free to ask about a specific thing if you're unsure.

EDIT: Something that came up while this was in submissions was that some Overloads might be a bit much, such as Huge Power, Knock Off, and recovery. What are your guys' thoughts on this? If you think it is too much, would a uniform 1.5x overload for everything balance it out some?

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Leftovers + Protect or Aqua Ring + Leftovers = endless Substitutes. Yep, stall is going to be so trolly.

(this probably should've been in the OP and I'll probably edit it)

Something that came up while this was in submissions was that some Overloads might be a bit much, such as Huge Power, Knock Off, and recovery. What are your guys' thoughts on this? If you think it is too much, would a uniform 1.5x overload for everything balance it out some?

Slowbro laughs at your life.

Regenerator
Calm Mind
Recover
Scald
252 HP, 252 Def.

@ the post above this,
Huge Power with 3x is a bit much.
Healing moves should stay 50% (or 75% maybe)
Knock Off should stay as is.

Scald lol

Valmanway

+4 is the equivalent of Huge Power tripling Attack:

+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 270-320 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Please don't buff Huge Power of all things. If you insist on buffing it, 2.25x or 2.33x is fine I guess, but 3x is just way too much.

Recovery moves healing 66% of the user's health is fine, and 80% if Synthesis/Morning Sun/Moonlight are in the sun is also fine I guess.

Knock Off getting a 75% power increase sounds fair. More fair than 125%, that's for damn sure.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
the only megas worth using now are mega medicham and mega mawile. the former tears apart stall, the latter rips offense a new asshole. Diggersby is good but still azumarill is better. especially with a choice band. max attack banded azumarill reaches a scary 1471.5 attack. thats stronger than a +2 Mega mawile (in the regular meta. jolly band Kyu-B reaches almost 1000 attack. also if the boost applies to life orb, lando-i has an equivalent of 940 spa after sheer force + life orb. How about belly drum azumarill? it gets 654 x 4 atk, reaching a whopping 2,616 Atk. its resists cant live aqua jet.

honestly i dont really see this meta....working. there isint much going for stall other than base stats, meaning stall as a playstyle is viable off that basis. when you get big powerful attackers like this you get problems. you have to buff defense and nerf offense, the problem comes in with the fact that there arent that many pokemon that got scaled so high. therefore if defense gets raised to beat them stallwars will ensue as the huge threats are handled and lesser buffed pokes would have no shot whatsoever. so this will either be hyper offense on steroids or stallwars, is what i am saying. yeah i really dont see this meta working out into being balanced in viability.

Life Orb does give a 1.69x boost, but it is still outclassed by Huge Power. Huge Power + Choice Band just breaks the meta. Chansey does seem pretty good as a wall, with Eviolite giving a 2.25x boost.

xJownage

Life Orb does give a 1.69x boost, but it is still outclassed by Huge Power. Huge Power + Choice Band just breaks the meta. Chansey does seem pretty good as a wall, with Eviolite giving a 2.25x boost.
huge power isint an item silly...sheer force landorus cant have a huge power :)

Okay, so Huge Power is getting a lot of attention. Here are our options:
  • Say "To hell with consistency" and reduce Huge Power's buff
  • Except Huge Power from being Overloaded, so it gets no buff at all
  • Ban Huge Power or its users
  • Find ways to deal with Huge Power such as Eviolite users

Valmanway

Okay, so Huge Power is getting a lot of attention. Here are our options:
  • Say "To hell with consistency" and reduce Huge Power's buff
  • Except Huge Power from being Overloaded, so it gets no buff at all
  • Ban Huge Power or its users
  • Find ways to deal with Huge Power such as Eviolite users
The first option seems like the best to me. I can dig Huge/Pure Power getting a little buff, like multiplying Attack by 2.25-2.33x as I mentioned in an earlier post.

xJownage

to be honest i feel like the goal of this is to break stuff, so i think that offense being completely broken is fine. with so many pokemon being boosted this will become either a stall war or an offensive war. So WWI or WWII.

huge power users should just be banned outright. it doesnt fall into order and makes no sense so i think it should be done away with entirely.

+4 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 534-628 (127.1 - 149.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

this represents a swords dance boost, but...

Stall isn't completely lost, we have Furcoat urfrou which reduces physical damage by 66% now (divide damage by 3) along with the buffed cotton guard and leftovers.

252+ Atk Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 136-162 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Stall isn't completely lost, we have Furcoat urfrou which reduces physical damage by 66% now (divide damage by 3) along with the buffed cotton guard and leftovers.

252+ Atk Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 136-162 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Assuming mawile can get up a sd this becomes a OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)