ORAS OU El Nino - A Mega Charizard Y team

Crappy banner made by me
Hello! Welcome to my second actual RMT! I've had a lot of success with this team, and it's been wicked fun. Mega Charizard Y is surprisingly powerful; it's pretty much a living atomic bomb. It even made me like Ferrothorn more! Despite this, I feel there's still a lot of room for improvement, hence why I'm posting it here!
At a glance:

Teambuilding Process:

I started with Mega Charizard Y. It's a powerful threat in the OU metagame, much like its X counterpart. The fun concept of nuking everything with Fire Blast and Solar Beam appealed to me.

No good Charizard Y team is complete without a Defogger. I picked Latias over Latios because of the better bulk it offered, allowing it to check Electrics better.

I then added Bisharp because I apparently forgot Tyranitar existed. Anyway... I used it because it could kill Fairies, Gengar, and more.

Keldeo was then added to the team. I needed a Bisharp and Weavile check, as well as a revenge killer. Choice Scarf Keldeo fit the bill, hence why it's on here.

I then added Raikou. Raikou was used to help check birdspam, but it turns out it was mediocre at this role.

Landorus was added, as it adds a blanket check to many threats, such as Mega Charizard X and Talonflame. It also kept up momentum with U-Turn, and, while Raikou was on the team, it formed a Voltturn core.

Because my team had trouble with Azumarill, I added Assault Vest Metagross in favor of Bisharp. AV Metagross also provided a better switchin to Fairies and the Latis.

My team had a big weakness to rain. I consulted BlazeLatias , and they told me to replace Metagross and Raikou with Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, respectively. After that, I had a lot of success with this team, and I've been using them since.

In-Depth:

No Mercy (Charizard) @

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Fire Blast

Solar Beam

Focus Blast

Roost

The star of the team, Mega Charizard Y hits like a truck going 200 mph, thanks to its ability Drought, and its massive Special Attack. It's the standard set, but I'll explain anyway. Fire Blast is an incredibly powerful (albeit inaccurate) STAB, and Charizard's main move. Solar Beam is for Water-types such as Azumarill and Slowbro, and, thanks to the sun, it charges in one turn. Focus Blast, while it misses too often, is coverage used to hit things like Heatran and Tyranitar. Finally, Roost is to heal Charizard up, namely if it ends up taking Stealth Rock damage.
Earthquake is a more accurate alternative to Focus Blast, and can hit things like Heatran, as well as Electrics such as Raikou on the switch.

Paper Moon (Latias) @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 32 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Defog

Draco Meteor

Psychic

Healing Wish

While this was admittedly chosen out of bias, I prefer Latias over Latios because of her superior bulk, letting her check Electrics better (Thundurus 3HKOs Latias with HP Ice; Latios is 2HKO'd by it). The custom EVs enable Latias to handle Thundurus and Mega Lopunny better. Defog allows Latias to remove hazards, providing some breathing room for Charizard. Draco Meteor is her most powerful STAB move, used to nuke anything that isn't a Steel-type or a Fairy. I picked Psychic over Psyshock because it hit Rotom-Wash harder. Healing Wish brings back statused/damaged Pokemon to the field.

Backstabber (Tyranitar) @

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stone Edge

Pursuit

Superpower

Crunch

No Charizard Y team is complete without Tyranitar. It does a fantastic job of pursuit trapping threats such as the Lati twins, checks Pokemon like other Megazard Y, and provides a good birdspam check. Stone Edge is for a powerful STAB, despite it missing around as much as Focus Miss does. Pursuit is the main point of this set, trapping the Latis, among others. Superpower is for coverage against the likes of Ferrothorn and other Tyranitar. Crunch is the secondary STAB move of choice, in case Pursuit fails me.

Blue Haze (Keldeo-Resolute) @

Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
Scald

Secret Sword

Hydro Pump

Hidden Power

Keldeo is a fantastic Pokemon in the OU metagame right now, and its role is my revenge killer. Scald is used to help spread burns (mainly when something like the Latis and Azumarill try to switch in), Secret Sword is for STAB (and to say "Fuck you" to Chansey), Hydro Pump is more powerful, but has shaky accuracy, and Hidden Power Electric is for coverage, hitting things like Slowbro and Starmie on the switch. Like the above mons (outside of Tyranitar), the low Attack IV minimizes Foul Play and confusion damage.

Babiri Berry 2.0 (Ferrothorn) @

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Knock Off

Leech Seed

Gyro Ball

Power Whip

While not the most splashable Pokemon on offense, Ferrothorn functions as my Rain check. Chople Berry is to lure in things like Azumarills with Superpower (outluring the lure?). Protect is mostly filler, but can rack up Leech Seed damage/healing. I am now using Knock Off instead. Knock Off is for utility and coverage against things like Gengar. The reason why I'm not running Spikes is because Defog, Stealth Rock, and Spikes would be too redundant. Leech Seed is to rack up damage on things outside of fellow Grass-types. Gyro Ball and Power Whip are to rack up damage; the former is used to kill Fairies, while the latter is used to kill Waters. The 0IVs in Speed and -Speed nature maximize Gyro Ball's damage output.

Westbound and Down (Landorus-Therian) @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
Earthquake

U-turn

Stone Edge

Stealth Rock

Every good team needs a Stealth Rock setter, and Landorus is no exception. Earthquake is for STAB, obviously. U-Turn gets Landorus out against slower threats, such as (Mega) Slowbro. Stone Edge is used to hit things like Talonflame and Tornadus hard. Finally, we have Overpowered Stealth Rocks, which don't need any explanation.

Threats:
- This thing can be a pain in the ass. Regardless of set, it can OHKO Landorus with Hidden Power Ice and dent Ferrothorn with Focus Blast. Although Latias can normally handle it, it'll be either weakened thanks to a HP Ice, or crippled by Thunder Wave.
/
- These things often carry Focus Blast, so Tyranitar has a hard time beating them. They can then completely wreck my entire team afterwards. I can play around these two with Latias and Keldeo though.
- I can play around this with Landorus and Keldeo, but a well-played Mega Lopunny can eat my team for breakfast. If this thing somehow doesn't carry Ice Punch, I'm safe from this thing, as Landorus can then check it better.
- This thing tends to find good opportunities to set up, and when it does, my team is screwed. It outspeeds Choice Scarf Keldeo after an Unburden boost, can usually get Sub up so it's immune to Intimidate, and can pretty much OHKO everything with either Acrobatics or a Fighting move.

Welp, that's my team! I think this is my most successful team by far. Any criticism and advice is appreciated and welcome!

No Mercy (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Paper Moon (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 32 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost

Backstabber (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Blue Haze (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Babiri Berry 2.0 (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Westbound and Down (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
ok, from what I can see, Weavile and Mega Manetric do a number to this team, and none of them can outspeed both mons except Keldeo, and Keldeo cannot OHKO Mega Manetric even past its poor defenses, while a thunderbolt clean KOs Keldeo in return. This is a very solid team, except for the fact that it is very easily outpaced by Intimidate cores. You cant rely on your walls being 4x weak to a certain type, but your team covers ice and fire fairly well. I would like to point out that a 2nd defogger/ spinner would be useful, seeing as how your main wallbreaker is 4x weak to stealth rocks, which could become problematic. Drop ferrothorn for Excadrill, because it will give you a steel type, in return for being able to take advantage of Tyranitar's sand, and hit incredibly hard, on top of dealing with chansey, seeing how its unable to be paralyzed and poisoned. An Excadrill will basically always 2HKO. But everything aside, the main thing is I'm scared about your walls being 4x weak to something. The set for Excadrill is the standard Sand Rush set except drop Swords Dance for Rapid Spin. I love the creativity, and good luck using this team in the future! :]

ok, from what I can see, Weavile and Mega Manetric do a number to this team, and none of them can outspeed both mons except Keldeo, and Keldeo cannot OHKO Mega Manetric even past its poor defenses, while a thunderbolt clean KOs Keldeo in return. This is a very solid team, except for the fact that it is very easily outpaced by Intimidate cores. You cant rely on your walls being 4x weak to a certain type, but your team covers ice and fire fairly well. I would like to point out that a 2nd defogger/ spinner would be useful, seeing as how your main wallbreaker is 4x weak to stealth rocks, which could become problematic. Drop ferrothorn for Excadrill, because it will give you a steel type, in return for being able to take advantage of Tyranitar's sand, and hit incredibly hard, on top of dealing with chansey, seeing how its unable to be paralyzed and poisoned. An Excadrill will basically always 2HKO. But everything aside, the main thing is I'm scared about your walls being 4x weak to something. The set for Excadrill is the standard Sand Rush set except drop Swords Dance for Rapid Spin. I love the creativity, and good luck using this team in the future! :]
Thanks. I'll definitely try Excadrill over Ferrothorn. It should also help with my Thundurus and, to a lesser extent, my Alakazam problem.

My only problem is that I lose my main bulky water check, so I might try to replace Latias with something. Azumarill also becomes a bit of an issue.

Last edited:
I'm gonna bump. I don't know whether to keep Ferrothorn or use Excadrill. If I use Ferrothorn, I get a rain check, and a water check in general. However, if I use Excadrill, I have a more reliable Electric check.

Hi Viri, pretty solid build you have - 'Zard Y is power, I definitely concur on that. Personally, I don't think Weavile is that big of an issue on the team - and that there are much more prevalent ones - Keldeo and Ferrothorn are generally enough to play around it - especially with a Chople Berry on one. Along the lines of Weavile, HP Fire MDiancie can punch some holes - but it can still be played around and isn't common either. I have a few minor optimizations that could make threats like Thundy and Mega Lop a bit more manageable.

Firstly, you could go for changing Latias to a bulkier spread - most likely just 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe, still gets a Life Orb number, and generally helps check Thundy and Lop better. It doesn't do anything specifically in avoiding KOs, though, so you could also try 112 HP / 32 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe. Primarily, the goal of the increased bulk would be dealing with Mega Lopunny - the second spread should manage to avoid the KO after switching into rocks twice and still be alive for one last attack after LO recoil. Additionally, if you already fired off an attack and switched into rocks twice / fired off two attacks and switched into rocks, you could possibly lure Mega Lop into trying to KO with a good roll (Or you could also make them assume you're max/max if you got a high roll on the attack you fired off). Of course, these spreads do sacrifice a significant amount of power, so it's up to you to decide whether its worth it or not.

Then, you could try running Knock Off, Toxic, on Ferrothorn over Protect or another move of your choice. Knock Off can deprive Thundy of its Life Orb or Lefties depending on its set, while still doing decent damage. Additionally, Thundy cannot reliably 2HKO you with its LO Knocked Off, but I wouldn't bank on it. This change probably does the least, though. At the same time, Chople Mixed T-Tar might be an option for a lure, but that's a more disruptive change and with how common Chople T-Tar is these days, you might just have the Thundy bail on you. Both of those options could help out with 'Zam, but it dies to Gyros anyways.

IMO, you shouldn't go for Excadrill. Personally, I've found running 'Zard Y and a Lati to be workable. I've even gone ahead and switched 'Zard Y into rocks sometimes to fire off attacks (and then received salty remarks about how much I spammed Fire Blast), because I can find opportunities to do damage or Roost the damage off anyways. A compound quadruple water weakness and two resists - one which has no recovery - isn't desirable, even in a build with sun. Maybe it'll suck to play around Pursuit trappers, but its not that big of a deal IMO. It just aggravates more weaknesses than it fixes - TBH, the only electric it safely switches into is Raikou, which Ferrothorn does as well.

Hope I helped!

Hi Viri, pretty solid build you have - 'Zard Y is power, I definitely concur on that. Personally, I don't think Weavile is that big of an issue on the team - and that there are much more prevalent ones - Keldeo and Ferrothorn are generally enough to play around it - especially with a Chople Berry on one. Along the lines of Weavile, HP Fire MDiancie can punch some holes - but it can still be played around and isn't common either. I have a few minor optimizations that could make threats like Thundy and Mega Lop a bit more manageable.

Firstly, you could go for changing Latias to a bulkier spread - most likely just 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe, still gets a Life Orb number, and generally helps check Thundy and Lop better. It doesn't do anything specifically in avoiding KOs, though, so you could also try 112 HP / 32 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe. Primarily, the goal of the increased bulk would be dealing with Mega Lopunny - the second spread should manage to avoid the KO after switching into rocks twice and still be alive for one last attack after LO recoil. Additionally, if you already fired off an attack and switched into rocks twice / fired off two attacks and switched into rocks, you could possibly lure Mega Lop into trying to KO with a good roll (Or you could also make them assume you're max/max if you got a high roll on the attack you fired off). Of course, these spreads do sacrifice a significant amount of power, so it's up to you to decide whether its worth it or not.

Then, you could try running Knock Off, Toxic, on Ferrothorn over Protect or another move of your choice. Knock Off can deprive Thundy of its Life Orb or Lefties depending on its set, while still doing decent damage. Additionally, Thundy cannot reliably 2HKO you with its LO Knocked Off, but I wouldn't bank on it. This change probably does the least, though. At the same time, Chople Mixed T-Tar might be an option for a lure, but that's a more disruptive change and with how common Chople T-Tar is these days, you might just have the Thundy bail on you. Both of those options could help out with 'Zam, but it dies to Gyros anyways.

IMO, you shouldn't go for Excadrill. Personally, I've found running 'Zard Y and a Lati to be workable. I've even gone ahead and switched 'Zard Y into rocks sometimes to fire off attacks (and then received salty remarks about how much I spammed Fire Blast), because I can find opportunities to do damage or Roost the damage off anyways. A compound quadruple water weakness and two resists - one which has no recovery - isn't desirable, even in a build with sun. Maybe it'll suck to play around Pursuit trappers, but its not that big of a deal IMO. It just aggravates more weaknesses than it fixes - TBH, the only electric it safely switches into is Raikou, which Ferrothorn does as well.

Hope I helped!
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks! I've updated the OP with the optimizations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)