Electabuzz [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overview
########
  • Gets access to the momentum grabbing Volt Switch
  • Decent 95 base special attack and high 105 base speed to give up for its lackluster defenses.
  • Has great coverage in the form of Focus Blast
  • Prevents sleep thanks to its amazing ability in Vital Spirit
  • Has heavy competition from other electrics in the tier, notable Raichu which has higher speed, and Rotom-F which has a powerful secondary STAB.
  • Quite frail, even with the eviolite boost, meaning that strong hits can dent it fairly easily.

Eviolite
########
name: Eviolite
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Vital Spirit
item: Eviolite
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Volt Switch is a decent power move which can be used for grabbing the momentum in battle, and will probably be the attack you press the most.
  • Focus Blast hits pokemon that would otherwise wall you, like Lickylicky, Golem and Pileswine for solid damage.
  • Thunderbolt has a good base power and gains a boost from STAB. This is your best option against neutral targets and for cleaning late game.
  • Hidden power Ice deals with grass types like serperior and especially Torterra, alongside the always trublesome dragons like Fraxure.

Set Details
========

• 252 EVs in Speed with a timid nature gives the highest possible speed and lets you speed tie with other important pokemon in the speed tier, most notable being Scyther and Kadabra
  • 252 Special Attack EVs to improve your overall sweeping potential to the highest possible level.
  • Eviolite improves your bulk, something that makes you more difficult to wear down for opposing teams.

Usage Tips
========

• You want to keep electabuzz at high health most of the time to help it check Priority sweepers and deal with faster threaths, so be carful with your switches.
  • Send Electabuzz in on opposing water and flying types to force them out.
  • Electabuss can fuction as a late game sweeper if the opponent has lost their scarfer, as it can clean most weakened balanced or offensive teams easily thanks to its speed and decent power with thunderbolt.
Team Options
========
  • Wallbreakers like SubPunch Poliwrath, Mixed Ramparados, LO Tauros and CB Stoutland makes for some great partners as they can break down most pokemon electabuzz stuggle against.
  • While not weak to hazards, Electabuzz greatly appreciates hazard removers like Swanna and Prinplup to remove Spikes which troubles Electabuzz, which most of the game will be switching out with Volt switch.
  • Ironicly Electabuzz also likes hazards at the opposing side of the field, and pokemon like Glaile or roselia can easliy set up spikes in the beginning of the game, while Torterra brings nice synergy and can set up SR.

Other Options
########

• Psychic is an option to use over Hidden power ice, as it hits Throh hard, but outside of that its fairly weak and finds little use.
  • Damage boosting items like Choice specs and Life orb could be used over Eviolite but Electabuzz is already easy to wear down and life orb would only help this progress, and While Choice specs hits hard, it is easy to play around and is rather outclassed by the faster Raichu.
  • Choice scarf might be tempting, but is generally outclassed by raichu who not only is faster, but also has better coverage to choose from.
  • Looking at Electabuzz's physical movepull, one might think a physical or mixed set is viable. But base 83 attack is pretty low, even by PU standards. Wild charge also miss out on some important KOs thunderbolt have, like Barbaracle and Carracosta.
  • Hidden power Fire and Hidden power Water can be used to take down spesific threats instead of Hidden power Ice, but the use is rather gimmicky and has limited use

Checks & Counters
########

**Fast physical attackers**: Pokemon who outspeed you and can attack electabuzz's lower physical defense. Examples being Tauros, Sneasel and Purugly.

**Metang**: Sp.def Metang takes less than 25% from everything Electabuzz throws at it and 2HKOes it back with EQ if hazards are in play. Physcial defensive Metang only takes max 35% with thunderbolt.

**Ground Types**: While most cannot switch in, fearing Hidden power Ice or Focus Blast, can all ground types in the tier switchin on Thunderbolt or Volt switch. Special mentions to Piloswine, who also switches in on Hidden power Ice with ease.

**Specially Bulky walls**: things in general that are made to soak up hits, notably Roselia, Sp.def Throh and Lickylicky

Last edited:
i don't really think choice is worth a set, raichu does scarf better and even then isn't too good at it, and i really don't like specs electrics in general (raichu is probably better at that too)

max speed should be used on all sets, its speed tier is too important not to run max. (two of the things that the bulk lets you live are things you would outspeed with max anyway)

regice is 2hkoed by focus blast after sr, so that doesn't really need its own section in c&c. just a section for specially bulky stuff in general works.

i think psychic should be slashed before hp ice, since psychic's targets are more important and most grasses take decent enough damage from psychic anyway.

shedinja really isn't worth mentioning in c&c, as it's not very good and very uncommon. also remove av mr mime since that isn't a thing @_@

also i made most of this post with my cat on my keyboard.

Last edited:
i don't really think choice is worth a set, raichu does scarf better and even then isn't too good at it, and i really don't like specs electrics in general (raichu is probably better at that too)

max speed should be used on all sets, its speed tier is too important not to run max. (two of the things that the bulk lets you live are things you would outspeed with max anyway)

regice is 2hkoed by focus blast after sr, so that doesn't really need its own section in c&c. just a section for specially bulky stuff in general works.

i think psychic should be slashed before hp ice, since psychic's targets are more important and most grasses take decent enough damage from psychic anyway.

shedinja really isn't worth mentioning in c&c, as it's not very good and very uncommon. also remove av mr mime since that isn't a thing @_@

also i made most of this post with my cat on my keyboard.
Keeping the Choice set for now (want more opinios on it) since it can surive Costas +2 LO Aqua jet 100% of the time with minimum investment, and because it has psychic (did some calc and oh lord is it neat with Specs)
Fixed the other stuff (wtf is av mime I was sure I wrote cm mime)

it only survives if you have zero prior damage whatsoever and no hazards are up, which is way too specific for it to deserve a set. also, i really don't think psychic is enough to make up for the inability to tie with tauros and the lack of grass knot.

k im cutting out scarf, keeping specs tho because of Psychic doing gooddamage towards GARb, rose and throh

252 SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 190-224 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 43% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Psychic vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 148-176 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garbodor: 194-230 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Black Sludge recovery
Compared to raichu
252 SpA Choice Specs Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garbodor: 141-166 (38.7 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 96-114 (31.5 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Choice Specs Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 138-163 (31 - 36.7%) -- 72.5% chance to 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Magnemite Ok, next time we have a minor disagreement do this on PM? I dont want to overflow the thread with one debate Q~Q

Last edited:
garbodor is leaving soon and standard throh is 2hkoed by eviolite psychic after a bit of prior damage. i really don't think being able to 2hko roselia is really worth a separate set outside of oo, especially since you have to predict to even be able to do so and you can just volt switch out of it anyway. i still don't think it's worth it, if other qc members disagree than i'm fine with it but i really don't think that choice electabuzz is worth a set.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yellow Cheese i agree with mag in saying that choice sets are done better by raichu. Slightly better bulk and special attack wont do much, however pokemon that raichu outpseeds/ties with are much more important (tauros is on every team, usage of scyther and jumpluff is increasing). I dont see a solid niche buzz has for this.

Psychic is niche, im not sure if it should get a slash, but if so, it should go after hp ice

Yellow Cheese i agree with mag in saying that choice sets are done better by raichu. Slightly better bulk and special attack wont do much, however pokemon that raichu outpseeds/ties with are much more important (tauros is on every team, usage of scyther and jumpluff is increasing). I dont see a solid niche buzz has for this.

Psychic is niche, im not sure if it should get a slash, but if so, it should go after hp ice
ye with garb gone specs is pretty mediocre and psychic lost most of its use, so I will do

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Reject 1/3

Electabuzz is already a very outclassed pokemon, and I don't think its niche is expanded on enough. I feel like the OP is also lacking experience with it:

- overview has contradictory info and doesn't explain ebuzz's niche well enough
- team options says either really obvious stuff, really outdated stuff, or doesn't explain what it needs to (srsly is "don't use it on stall" supposed to be a useful tip?)
- usage tips is way too empty
- OO is full of bad options
- checks and counters sucks too; steels don't counter ebuzz, it just happens that there are two specialized steel sets that counter it toxic it and wait for it to die. the bulky psychics listed are uncommon or bad, and mr mime is 2hkod after sr unless you run max hp best set

if QC vehemently disagrees with me then I'll give it a QC check I guess; electabuzz's niche is limited to "sort of bulky electric that's sort of fast" which is sort of bad and sort of weak, and it isn't explained very well here. sorry.

(btw if this ends up being approved, please move psychic to OO. psychic doesn't even 2hko spdef roselia and hp ice is better coverage even tho they're both weak af)

QC Reject 1/3

Electabuzz is already a very outclassed pokemon, and I don't think its niche is expanded on enough. I feel like the OP is also lacking experience with it:

- overview has contradictory info and doesn't explain ebuzz's niche well enough
- team options says either really obvious stuff, really outdated stuff, or doesn't explain what it needs to (srsly is "don't use it on stall" supposed to be a useful tip?)
- usage tips is way too empty
- OO is full of bad options
- checks and counters sucks too; steels don't counter ebuzz, it just happens that there are two specialized steel sets that counter it toxic it and wait for it to die. the bulky psychics listed are uncommon or bad, and mr mime is 2hkod after sr unless you run max hp best set

if QC vehemently disagrees with me then I'll give it a QC check I guess; electabuzz's niche is limited to "sort of bulky electric that's sort of fast" which is sort of bad and sort of weak, and it isn't explained very well here. sorry.

(btw if this ends up being approved, please move psychic to OO. psychic doesn't even 2hko spdef roselia and hp ice is better coverage even tho they're both weak af)
Point taken, Will be more active on updating this tread (and hopefully keep it approved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)