Electivire

lol evire
[OVERVIEW]

Electivire is a Pokemon that stands out in NU thanks to its outstanding coverage, allowing it to hit most Pokemon for super effective damage. To complement its great coverage, Electivire has good Attack and decent Special Attack, enabling it to run a full physical or mixed set and thus making it a versatile offensive Pokemon. Electivire also has two good abilities; one gives it an immunity to and Speed boost from Electric-type attacks, while the other makes it immune to sleep-inducing moves such as Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder. Its typing lets it check many threats in the tier, including Fletchinder, Rotom, Kabutops, and Samurott. Furthermore, Electivire sits at a decent Speed tier, allowing to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the metagame. However, Electivire tends to struggle with breaking through bulky Pokemon that it cannot hit super effectively. Lackluster defenses also make it hard to switch in, even against some resisted attacks. While its Speed is decent, it is still outsped by many offensive threats such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel, causing it to be easily revenge killed against offensive teams.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Wild Charge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Meditate
item: Life Orb
ability: Motor Drive / Vital Spirit
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge is a reliable physical Electric-type STAB move that has decent power, but it comes at the cost of recoil damage. Earthquake has great coverage alongside Wild Charge, hitting Pokemon such as Lanturn, Stunfisk, Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile. Ice Punch rounds out Electivire's coverage, enabling it to deal super effective damage to Grass-types such as Torterra, Lilligant, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Pokemon such as Quagsire and Rhydon, which otherwise wall this set very well. Meditate is an alternative move that raises Electivire's Attack to decent levels, furthering its wallbreaking potential. Volt Switch is another option in the last slot to retain offensive momentum by switching out against checks and counters for a teammate to take advantage of, while Flamethrower can be used to hit physically bulky Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Ferroseed, and Tangela much harder.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a Jolly nature allow Electivire to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, while maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. Motor Drive gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks as well as a Speed boost if it is hit by one, while Vital Spirit is an alternative to switch into sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, and it allows Electivire to freely switch moves, taking advantage of its stellar coverage. Magnet is an alternative if the recoil is unappealing, but it leaves the damage output of Electivire's coverage moves significantly lower. An alternative spread of 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive nature can be used to guarantee a 2HKO against specially defensive Rhydon after Stealth Rock with Hidden Power Grass. A more offensive spread of 216 Atk / 52 SpA / 236 Spe with a Naughty nature can be used if you want Electivire to have more Attack while still outspeeding up to positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Kabutops and Mesprit.

Usage Tips
========

Electivire is usually best brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted, as taking any damage limits how many times Electivire can use its attacks due to Life Orb recoil. Electivire can also be brought in against Pokemon that cannot do much back, such as Rotom-S, Mantine, and Pelipper; additionally, if running Motor Drive, it can switch in on a predicted Electric-type attack to gain a Speed boost. If Electivire is running Vital Spirit, use it to switch in on a predicted sleep-inducing move such as Sleep Powder or Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, and Jynx. Make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure Electivire does not get worn down too fast by Life Orb and Wild Charge recoil.

Team Options
========

This set tends to struggle with bulkier Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela, so Pokemon such as Fletchinder, Archeops, Cryogonal, and Vanilluxe make for great teammates. Mesprit is a good partner, as it supports Electivire with Stealth Rock, is immune to Ground-type attacks, breaks through Vileplume and Weezing, and is able to restore any lost HP from Life Orb or Wild Charge recoil as well as cure any status conditions with Healing Wish. Scyther makes for a decent partner, as it threatens Grass-types with Aerial Ace, can bring in Electivire safely with U-turn, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Electric- and Flying-type attacks as well as its ability to break through Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Lanturn. Cacturne is able to threaten Ground- and Ghost-types such as Rhydon, Quagsire, Gourgeist, and Rotom, provides Spikes support, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Flying-type attacks. Fletchinder is a great partner for Electivire; Electivire covers its Electric-type weakness and is able to lure in and defeat Pokemon that give Fletchinder issues, such as Stunfisk, Lanturn, and Rhydon. In return, Fletchinder takes out faster Pokemon that trouble Electivire, such as Choice Scarf Jynx, Choice Scarf Haunter, Tauros, and Floatzel. Electivire struggles to break through Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Uxie, so Haunter is a good teammate because it is able to use Taunt and threaten the two with its Poison- and Ghost-type STAB moves, respectively.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB move that hits decently hard off Electivire's Special Attack stat. Flamethrower has good coverage alongside Thunderbolt, hitting Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Lilligant, Vileplume, and Ferroseed. Earthquake allows Electivire to deal significant damage to Electric-types such as Lanturn and Stunfisk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Pyroar and Assault Vest Magmortar. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Electivire's coverage by hitting Quagsire and Rhydon, Pokemon that otherwise give this set issues. Volt Switch is an option over Thunderbolt to maintain offensive momentum while dealing decent damage, but this comes at the cost of having a reliable STAB move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a Speed-boosting nature allow Electivire to be as fast as possible, while maximum Special Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. A Naive nature is chosen to increase Electivire's Speed while preserving its Attack stat. Motor Drive is the ability of choice to give Electivire an immunity to Electric-type moves, as well as let it gain a Speed boost from them. Vital Spirit is an alternative to avoid being put to sleep by Lilligant's and Vivillon's Sleep Powder, as well as Jynx's Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is used to give a decent boost to Electivire's offenses while allowing it to switch between its moves.

Usage Tips
========

As Electivire is prone to being worn down by Life Orb recoil, it should generally be brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted. Furthermore, make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure it does not get worn down too fast by its Life Orb. Alternatively, you can bring Electivire in on a predicted Electric-type move such Lanturn's Volt Switch to halt the opponent's momentum and gain a Speed boost in the process. This Electivire set is a more reliable switch-in to Fletchinder than other sets because it is primarily a special attacker, but do note that being burned by Will-O-Wisp means Electivire will be worn down much faster. If Vital Spirit is being used, Electivire is able to switch in on predicted sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, and Jynx.

Team Options
========

Regirock, Stunfisk, and Rhydon tend to give this set issues, especially if Electivire lacks Hidden Power Grass, so Samurott, Floatzel, Lilligant, and Vanilluxe make for great partners to deal with them. Electivire generally appreciates entry hazard support to break through bulkier Pokemon with more ease, as well as achieve certain KOs; for example, Stealth Rock guarantees the OHKO against Lilligant and Gourgeist-S with Flamethrower. Good Stealth Rock users that pair well with Electivire include Torterra and Mesprit, as both are able to switch into Ground-type attacks; furthermore, the latter is able to fully restore and rid Electivire of any status effects with Healing Wish. Fletchinder is a great partner, as not only do they have good type synergy, but both of them also take out each other's checks and counters. For instance, Fletchinder appreciates Electivire's ability to lure in and defeat Pokemon that give it issues, such as Lanturn, Rhydon, and Stunfisk, and, in return, Fletchinder is able to revenge kill faster Pokemon that trouble Electivire, such as Floatzel, Choice Scarf Jynx, and Choice Scarf Haunter. If Fletchinder is being paired with Electivire, make sure to have an answer to Archeops, such as Swords Dance Samurott or Kabutops. Cacturne is able to threaten Ground-types as well as Rotom, provides Spikes support, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Fletchinder's Acrobatics. Electivire tends to struggle to break through bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie, so Haunter is a good teammate because it is able to use Taunt and threaten all three with either its Poison-type STAB moves or its Ghost-type STAB moves, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Focus Blast is another option to hit Regirock, a Pokemon that otherwise gives Electivire issues, for more damage; it also maintains coverage against Ferroseed. Cross Chop allows Electivire to hit Miltank and Piloswine, as well as OHKO Aurorus, which Earthquake fails to do otherwise. Thunder Punch is an alternative over Wild Charge if recoil proves to be an issue, but it comes at the cost of a noticeable drop in power. Iron Tail is another option to ensure Electivire is not dead weight against Mega Audino, but the move tends to be unreliable due to accuracy issues and the sacrifice of coverage is generally not worth it. Fire Punch is an alternate coverage option Electivire can use on the physical set, but most Grass-types tend to be physically bulky, making it inferior to Flamethrower a majority of the time. Expert Belt can be used over Life Orb if Electivire needs more longevity, but the power loss is very significant against neutral targets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outspeed Electivire such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel are all are able to revenge kill Electivire, though none of these Pokemon can safely switch in. Tauros can also do heavy damage with Pursuit if Electivire switches out.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie are not 2HKOed by any of Electivire's attacks and can even use it is as setup bait for Calm Mind. The former two can also stall Electivire with Life Orb recoil by recovering HP with Wish and Moonlight, respectively. Regirock takes all of Electivire's attacks very well, avoids the 2HKO from Earthquake, and threatens Electivire with its own Earthquake. Weezing is also an issue for Electivire's physical set, as it is not 2HKOed by Wild Charge and can cripple Electivire with Will-O-Wisp.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Golurk, Piloswine, Rhydon, and Quagsire can switch in on most of Electivire's attacks bar Hidden Power Grass and threaten Electivire with Earthquake.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Other people can disagree on this but I think the physical set should be first. I haven't seen much of the special set at all tbh and when I used the physical one, I rarely found myself wishing I was running the latter. A big difference is the sheer difference in power of the main STAB, Wild Charge hits neutral targets much harder than Thunderbolt, and Ice Punch is also pretty big because Torterra is still decently popular. Loss of Fire coverage can hurt at times but you can easily fit Fire Punch / Flamethrower on it if you need to as well (although speaking of that it should be mentioned in Moves). Recoil also sucks but I never found it to be that much of an issue when your job is to wallbreak.

Other than that:

Overview
  • When you talk about threats its checks, make sure to mention it's only a soft check to Flyings + Electric immunity due to its frailty, it's primarily used on teams that want a check to those types but value offensive presence more than bulk
Physical:
  • Slash Naive to go with HP Grass
  • I'd mention Taunt in Moves, I tried it because I needed a way to stop fatmons from setting up on me that also let me beat Ferroseed (and I needed to keep Ice Punch), and it was actually pretty solid.
Looks solid, QC 1/3 after that

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the overview I'd personally say it has outstanding coverage, but thats not a huge deal.

Remove Sneasel mentions

Physical TO:
I dunno if it ~really~ struggles with Vileplume since it 2hkoes after rocks with Ice Punch, swap it for Tangela which isnt 2hkoed and ohkoes in return.
When you talk about Fletchinder note that its priority acrobatics helps deal with the faster pokemon like scarf haunter/jynx, tauros, and floatzel all of which threaten evire.

Put Focus Blast in OO to hit Regirock, Pilowsine, and Bouffalant. Get rid of Cross Chop. Remove Fire Punch from OO.

Put faster Pokemon first in C&C, as even with Sneasel gone offensive pressure is one of the biggest things in the way of evire. AV Hariayama easily handles the special set, but loses to the physical set.

QC 2/3

wait is power up punch rly good enoguh to be the first slash? i can see it being useful, but is it rly better than hp grass / fire punch?

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
wait is power up punch rly good enoguh to be the first slash? i can see it being useful, but is it rly better than hp grass / fire punch?
I used it for a while an I definitely think it should be first. It just really helps with the amount of switches electivire can cause + makes it much harder to switch into.
Also use Magnet > LO on the physical set, Wild Charge Recoil gets really bad.
I'll take another look at this when I'm less tired.

Yeah I don't agree on using Magnet at all. Yes the recoil sucks, but it makes Evire's coverage so weak. It already has issues OHKOing Pokemon and lowering its overall damage output makes that flaw more apparent.

For instance, it misses out on OHKOing 252 HP Torterra after Stealth Rock with Ice Punch and makes it impossible to 2HKO Rhydon with HP Grass. Also if Electivire were to use a recoil free item, Expert Belt is better anyways.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
This all looks good, only change I could see is on the Physical set when you mention Fire Punch for Ferroseed. For one, Flamethrower hits harder due to the fact most of the Ferroseed are physically defensive and Flamethrower prevents the Iron Barbs damage from Ferroseed. You should find a more specially bulky steel or grass type to include, or you could even remove the mention of Fire Punch since Flamethrower is going to be used in most of the situations you have Fire Punch. Unless you can think of something that would warrant Fire Punch, just completely remove it and leave Flamethrower there.

Once you do this QC 3/3

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Honestly I think meditate is better than pupvire because you dont get lo recoiled, rocky helmeted or otherwise take unnecessary damage. and the minimal damage from pup is like, negligible, and you'd love to minimize recoil because of Life Orb Wild Charge already, at least from my experience. Honestly, pupvire has a lot of meme value because you're putting a meme and a meme together to create an epic memer, but I guess it kinda works so it's whatever.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Electivire is a Pokemon that stands out in NU thanks to its outstanding coverage, allowing it to hit most Pokemon for at least super effective damage. (did you mean at least neutral damage? otherwise I don't think the "at least" is necessary; 2x and regular super effective are both super effective) To complement its great coverage, Electivire has good Attack and decent Special Attack, enabling it to run a full physical or mixed set, (RC) and thus making it a versatile offensive Pokemon. Electivire also has two good abilities; one gives that either give it an immunity to and Speed boost from Electric-type attacks, while the other makes or make it immune to sleep-inducing moves such as Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder. Its typing lets it check many threats in the tier, (AC) including Fletchinder, Rotom, Kabutops, and Samurott. Furthermore, Electivire sits at a decent Speed tier, allowing to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the metagame. However, Electivire tends to struggle with breaking through bulky Pokemon that it cannot hit super effectively. Lackluster defenses also make it hard to switch in general, even against some resisted attacks. While its Speed is decent, it is still left outsped by many offensive threats such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel, causing it to be easily revenge killed against offensive teams.

[SET]
nature: Jolly / Naive

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge is a reliable physical Electric-type STAB move that has decent power, but it comes at the cost of inflicting recoil damage. Earthquake has great coverage alongside Wild Charge, hitting Pokemon such as Lanturn, Stunfisk, Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile. Ice Punch rounds out Electivire's coverage, enabling it to deal super effective damage to Grass-types such as Torterra, Lilligant, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Pokemon such as Quagsire and Rhydon, Pokemon which otherwise wall this set very well. Meditate is an alternative move that raises Electivire's Attack to decent levels, furthering its wallbreaking potential. Volt Switch is another option in the last slot to retain offensive momentum by switching out against any checks and counters for a teammate to take advantage of. Flamethrower is another option to hit physically bulky Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Ferroseed, and Tangela much harder.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a speed-boosting nature allow Electivire to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, while maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. If Electivire is using Hidden Power Grass in the last slot, use a Naive nature so that Electivire it retains its specially attacking prowess. Motor Drive gives chosen to give it an immunity to Electric-type attacks as well as a Speed boost if it is hit by one, while Vital Spirit is an alternative to switch into sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in attack power, and it allows while allowing Electivire to freely switch moves, taking advantage of its stellar type coverage. Magnet is an alternative if the recoil is unappealing, but the damage output of Electivire's coverage moves is then significantly lower. An alternative spread of 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive nature can be used to guarantee a 2HKO against specially defensive Rhydon after Stealth Rock with Hidden Power Grass. A more offensive spread of 216 Atk / 52 SpA / 236 Spe with a Naughty nature can be used if you want Electivire to have more Attack is alternative to have more Attack, while still outspeeding up to postive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Kabutops and Mesprit.

Usage Tips
========

Electivire is usually best brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted, as taking any damage limits how many times Electivire can use its attacks due to Life Orb recoil. Electivire can also be brought in against a Pokemon that cannot do much back, (AC) such as Rotom-S, Mantine, and Pelipper; additionally, or if running Motor Drive, it can switch in on a predicted Electric-type attack to gain a Speed boost. If Electivire is running Vital Spirit, use it is to switch in on a predicted sleep-inducing move such as Sleep Powder or Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, (AC) and Jynx. Make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure it Electivire does not get worn down too fast by Life Orb and Wild Charge recoil.

Team Options
========

This set tends to struggle with bulkier Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela, so Pokemon such as Fletchinder, Archeops, Cryogonal, (AC) and Vanilluxe make for great teammates. Mesprit is a good partner, as it supports Electivire with Stealth Rock, is immune to Ground-type attacks, breaks through Vileplume and Weezing, and is able to restore any lost HP from Life Orb or Wild Charge recoil as well as cure any status conditions with Healing Wish. Scyther makes for a decent partner, as it threatens Grass-types with Aerial Ace, can bring in Electivire safely with U-turn, (AC) and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Electric- and Flying-type attacks as well as its ability to break through Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Lanturn. Cacturne makes a great partner as it is able to threaten Ground- and Ghost-types such as Rhydon, Quagsire, Gourgeist, and Rotom, provides Spikes support, while it and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Flying-type attacks. Fletchinder is a great partner for Electivire; Electivire covers its Electric-type weakness and is able, as it appreciates Electivire's ability to lure in (and deal with?) Pokemon that give Fletchinder issues, (AC) such as Stunfisk, Lanturn, and Rhydon, covering its Electric-type weakness, while in. In return, Fletchinder takes out faster Pokemon that give Electivire issues, (AC) such as Choice Scarf Jynx, Choice Scarf Haunter, Tauros, and Floatzel. Electivire struggles to break through Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Uxie, so Haunter is a good teammate pairs well because it is able to use Taunt and threaten both the two with its Poison- and Ghost-type STAB moves , (AC) respectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB move that hits decently hard off of Electivire's Special Attack stat. Flamethrower has good coverage alongside Thunderbolt, hitting Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Lilligant, Vileplume, and Ferroseed. Earthquake allows Electivire to deal significant damage to Electric-types such as Lanturn and Stunfisk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Pyroar and Assault Vest Magmortar. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Electivire's coverage by hitting Quagsire and Rhydon, Pokemon which that otherwise give this set issues otherwise. Volt Switch is another option over Thunderbolt to maintain offensive momentum, (RC) while dealing decent damage, but this comes at the cost of having a reliable STAB move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a Speed-boosting nature allow Electivire to be as fast as possible, while maximum Special Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. A Naive nature is chosen to increase Electivire's Speed, (RC) while preserving its Attack stat. Motor Drive is the ability of choice to give Electivire an immunity to Electric-type moves, as well as let it gain a Speed boost from them. Vital Spirit is an alternative to avoid being put to sleep by Lilligant's and Vivillon's Sleep Powder, as well as Jynx's Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is used to give a decent boost to Electivire's offenses, (RC) while allowing it to switch between its moves.

Usage Tips
========

As Electivire is prone to Due to Electivire being worn down by Life Orb recoil, it should generally be brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted. Furthermore, make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure it does not get worn down too fast by its Life Orb. Alterantively, you can bring Electivire in on a predicted Electric-type move such Lanturn's Volt Switch, (RC) to halt the opponent's momentum, while gaining and gain a Speed boost in the process. This Electivire set is a more reliable switch-in to Fletchinder than other sets because it is primarily, thanks to this set primarily being a special attacker, but do note that being burned by Will-O-Wisp means Electivire will be worn down much faster. If Vital Spirit is being used, Electivire is able to switch in on predicted sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder or and Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, and Jynx.

Team Options
========

Regirock, Stunfisk, and Rhydon tend to give this set issues, especially if Electivire lacks Hidden Power Grass, so Samurott, Floatzel, Lilligant, and Vanilluxe make for great partners to deal with them due to Electivire struggling to get past them outside of Hidden Power Grass. Electivire generally appreciates entry hazard support to break through bulkier Pokemon with more ease, as well as achieve certain KOs; for example, Stealth Rock guarantees such as guaranteeing the OHKO against Lilligant and Gourgeist-S after Stealth Rock with Flamethrower. Good Stealth Rock users that pair well with Electivire include Torterra and Mesprit, as both are due to both being able to switch into Ground-type attacks; furthermore, while the latter is able to fully restore and rid Electivire of any status effects with Healing Wish. Fletchinder is a great partner, as not only do they have good type synergy, but both of them also take out each other's checks and counters. For instance, Fletchinder appreciates Electivire's ability to lure in (and defeat?) Pokemon that give it issues, (AC) such as Lanturn, Rhydon, and Stunfisk, and, while in return, Fletchinder is able to revenge kill faster Pokemon that give Electivire issues, (AC) such as Floatzel, Choice Scarf Jynx, and Choice Scarf Haunter. If Fletchinder is being paired with Electivire, make sure to have an answer to Archeops, (AC) such as Swords Dance Samurott or Kabutops. Cacturne makes for a great partner, (AC) as it is able to threaten Ground-types as well as Rotom, provides Spikes support, (AC) and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Fletchinder's Acrobatics. Electivire tends to struggle to break through bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie, so Haunter pairs well is a good teammate because it is able to use Taunt and threaten all three with either its Poison-type STAB moves or its and Ghost-type STAB moves, (AC) respectively. (AP)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Focus Blast is another option to hit Regirock for the most damage, a Pokemon that otherwise gives Electivire issues otherwise, for more damage; it also maintains as well as maintaining coverage against Ferroseed. Thunder Punch is an alternative over Wild Charge if recoil proves to be an issue, but it comes at the cost of a noticable drop in power. Iron Tail is another option to ensure Electivire is not dead weight against Mega Audino, but the move tends to be unreliable due to accuracy issues and the sacrifice of coverage is generally not worth it. Fire Punch is another coverage option Electivire can use on the physical set, but most Grass-types tend to be physically bulky, making it inferior to Flamethrower a majority of the time. Expert Belt can be used over Life Orb on both sets if Electivire needs more longevity, but the power loss is very significant against neutral targets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outspeed Electivire such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel are all are able to revenge kill Electivire, though none of these Pokemon can safely switch in. The former also does Tauros can also do heavy damage with Pursuit if Electivire switches out.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie are not 2HKOed by any of Electivire's attacks and can even use it is as setup bait for Calm Mind. The former two can also stall Electivire with Life Orb recoil by recovering HP with Wish and Moonlight, (AC) respectively. Regirock takes all of Electivire's attacks very well, avoids the 2HKO from Earthquake, (AC) and threatens Electivire with its own Earthquake. Weezing is also an issue for Electivire's its physical set, as it is not 2HKOed by Wild Charge and can cripples Electivire with Will-O-Wisp.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Golurk, Piloswine, Rhydon, and Quagsire can switch in on most of Electivire's attacks bar Hidden Power Grass and threaten Electivire with Earthquake.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
this is actually my friend's favourite pokemon
remove
add (Capitalize)
(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)

[OVERVIEW]

Electivire is a Pokemon that stands out in NU thanks to its outstanding coverage, allowing it to hit most Pokemon for super effective damage. To complement its great coverage, Electivire has good Attack and decent Special Attack, enabling it to run a full physical or mixed set and thus making it a versatile offensive Pokemon. Electivire also has two good abilities; one gives it an immunity to and Speed boost from Electric-type attacks, while the other makes it immune to sleep-inducing moves such as Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder. Its typing lets it check many threats in the tier, including Fletchinder, Rotom, Kabutops, and Samurott. Furthermore, Electivire sits at a decent Speed tier, allowing to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the metagame. However, Electivire tends to struggle with breaking through bulky Pokemon that it cannot hit super effectively. Lackluster defenses also make it hard to switch in, even against some resisted attacks. While its Speed is decent, it is still outsped by many offensive threats such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel, causing it to be easily revenge killed against offensive teams.

[SET]
nature: Jolly / Naive

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge is a reliable physical Electric-type STAB move that has decent power, but it comes at the cost of recoil damage. Earthquake has great coverage alongside Wild Charge, hitting Pokemon such as Lanturn, Stunfisk, Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile. Ice Punch rounds out Electivire's coverage, enabling it to deal super effective damage to Grass-types such as Torterra, Lilligant, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Pokemon such as Quagsire and Rhydon, Pokemon which otherwise wall this set very well. Meditate is an alternative move that raises Electivire's Attack to decent levels, furthering its wallbreaking potential. Volt Switch is another option in the last slot to retain offensive momentum by switching out against checks and counters for a teammate to take advantage of, (comma) while Flamethrower is another option can be used (less repetitive)to hit physically bulky Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Ferroseed, and Tangela much harder.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a Speed-boosting nature allow Electivire to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, while maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. If Electivire is using Hidden Power Grass in the last slot, use a Naive nature so that Electivire retains its specially attacking prowess. Motor Drive gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks as well as a Speed boost if it is hit by one, while Vital Spirit is an alternative to switch into sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, and it allows Electivire to freely switch moves, taking advantage of its stellar coverage. Magnet is an alternative if the recoil is unappealing, but it leaves the damage output of Electivire's coverage moves is then significantly lower. An alternative spread of 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive nature can be used to guarantee a 2HKO against specially defensive Rhydon after Stealth Rock with Hidden Power Grass. A more offensive spread of 216 Atk / 52 SpA / 236 Spe with a Naughty nature can be used if you want Electivire to have more Attack while still outspeeding up to postive-natured positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Kabutops and Mesprit.

Usage Tips
========

Electivire is usually best brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted, as taking any damage limits how many times Electivire can use its attacks due to Life Orb recoil. Electivire can also be brought in against Pokemon that cannot do much back, such as Rotom-S, Mantine, and Pelipper; additionally, if running Motor Drive, it can switch in on a predicted Electric-type attack to gain a Speed boost. If Electivire is running Vital Spirit, use it to switch in on a predicted sleep-inducing move such as Sleep Powder or Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, and Jynx. Make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure Electivire does not get worn down too fast by Life Orb and Wild Charge recoil.

Team Options
========

This set tends to struggle with bulkier Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela, so Pokemon such as Fletchinder, Archeops, Cryogonal, and Vanilluxe make for great teammates. Mesprit is a good partner, as it supports Electivire with Stealth Rock, is immune to Ground-type attacks, breaks through Vileplume and Weezing, and is able to restore any lost HP from Life Orb or Wild Charge recoil as well as cure any status conditions with Healing Wish. Scyther makes for a decent partner, as it threatens Grass-types with Aerial Ace, can bring in Electivire safely with U-turn, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Electric- and Flying-type attacks as well as its ability to break through Pokemon such as Stunfisk and Lanturn. Cacturne is able to threaten Ground- and Ghost-types such as Rhydon, Quagsire, Gourgeist, and Rotom, provides Spikes support, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Flying-type attacks. Fletchinder is a great partner for Electivire; Electivire covers its Electric-type weakness and is able to lure in and defeat Pokemon that give Fletchinder issues, such as Stunfisk, Lanturn, and Rhydon. In return, Fletchinder takes out faster Pokemon that give trouble Electivire issues, (less repetitive) such as Choice Scarf Jynx, Choice Scarf Haunter, Tauros, and Floatzel. Electivire struggles to break through Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Uxie, so Haunter is a good teammate because it is able to use Taunt and threaten the two with its Poison- and Ghost-type STAB moves, respectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB move that hits decently hard off of Electivire's Special Attack stat. Flamethrower has good coverage alongside Thunderbolt, hitting Grass-types such as Gourgeist-XL, Lilligant, Vileplume, and Ferroseed. Earthquake allows Electivire to deal significant damage to Electric-types such as Lanturn and Stunfisk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Pyroar and Assault Vest Magmortar. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Electivire's coverage by hitting Quagsire and Rhydon, Pokemon that otherwise give this set issues. Volt Switch is an option over Thunderbolt to maintain offensive momentum while dealing decent damage, but this comes at the cost of having a reliable STAB move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs plus a Speed-boosting nature allow Electivire to be as fast as possible, while maximum Special Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. A Naive nature is chosen to increase Electivire's Speed while preserving its Attack stat. Motor Drive is the ability of choice to give Electivire an immunity to Electric-type moves, as well as let it gain a Speed boost from them. Vital Spirit is an alternative to avoid being put to sleep by Lilligant's and Vivillon's Sleep Powder, as well as Jynx's Lovely Kiss. Life Orb is used to give a decent boost to Electivire's offenses while allowing it to switch between its moves.

Usage Tips
========

As Electivire is prone to being worn down by Life Orb recoil, it should generally be brought in safely by Volt Switch and U-turn or after a Pokemon has fainted. Furthermore, make sure to use the appropriate coverage move on predicted switch-ins to ensure it does not get worn down too fast by its Life Orb. Alterantively Alternatively, you can bring Electivire in on a predicted Electric-type move such Lanturn's Volt Switch to halt the opponent's momentum and gain a Speed boost in the process. This Electivire set is a more reliable switch-in to Fletchinder than other sets because it is primarily a special attacker, but do note that being burned by Will-O-Wisp means Electivire will be worn down much faster. If Vital Spirit is being used, Electivire is able to switch in on predicted sleep-inducing moves such as Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss from Lilligant, Vivillon, and Jynx.

Team Options
========

Regirock, Stunfisk, and Rhydon tend to give this set issues, especially if Electivire lacks Hidden Power Grass, so Samurott, Floatzel, Lilligant, and Vanilluxe make for great partners to deal with them. Electivire generally appreciates entry hazard support to break through bulkier Pokemon with more ease, as well as achieve certain KOs; for example, Stealth Rock guarantees the OHKO against Lilligant and Gourgeist-S with Flamethrower. Good Stealth Rock users that pair well with Electivire include Torterra and Mesprit, as both are able to switch into Ground-type attacks; furthermore, the latter is able to fully restore and rid Electivire of any status effects with Healing Wish. Fletchinder is a great partner, as not only do they have good type synergy, but both of them also take out each other's checks and counters. For instance, Fletchinder appreciates Electivire's ability to lure in and defeat Pokemon that give it issues, such as Lanturn, Rhydon, and Stunfisk, and, in return, Fletchinder is able to revenge kill faster Pokemon that give trouble Electivire issues, such as Floatzel, Choice Scarf Jynx, and Choice Scarf Haunter. If Fletchinder is being paired with Electivire, make sure to have an answer to Archeops, such as Swords Dance Samurott or Kabutops. Cacturne makes for a great partner, as it is able to threaten Ground-types as well as Rotom, provides Spikes support, and appreciates Electivire's ability to switch into Fletchinder's Acrobatics. Electivire tends to struggle to break through bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie, so Haunter is a good teammate because it is able to use Taunt and threaten all three with either its Poison-type STAB moves or its Ghost-type STAB moves, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Focus Blast is another option to hit Regirock, a Pokemon that otherwise gives Electivire issues, (remove space before comma) for more damage; it also maintains coverage against Ferroseed. Thunder Punch is an alternative over Wild Charge if recoil proves to be an issue, but it comes at the cost of a noticable noticeable drop in power. Iron Tail is another option to ensure Electivire is not dead weight against Mega Audino, but the move tends to be unreliable due to accuracy issues and the sacrifice of coverage is generally not worth it. Fire Punch is another an alternate (less repetitive) coverage option Electivire can use on the physical set, but most Grass-types tend to be physically bulky, making it inferior to Flamethrower a majority of the time. Expert Belt can be used over Life Orb if Electivire needs more longevity, but the power loss is very significant against neutral targets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outspeed Electivire such as Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel are all are able to revenge kill Electivire, though none of these Pokemon can safely switch in. Tauros can also do heavy damage with Pursuit if Electivire switches out.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Mega Audino, Musharna, and Uxie are not 2HKOed by any of Electivire's attacks and can even use it is as setup bait for Calm Mind. The former two can also stall Electivire with Life Orb recoil by recovering HP with Wish and Moonlight, respectively. Regirock takes all of Electivire's attacks very well, avoids the 2HKO from Earthquake, and threatens Electivire with its own Earthquake. Weezing is also an issue for Electivire's physical set, as it is not 2HKOed by Wild Charge and can cripple Electivire with Will-O-Wisp.

GP 2/2

how ironic is it that you're making a coverage monster like this run hidden power on both its sets lol

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One more thing before I upload this, please deslash Naive from the first set as its only legitimate use is 2HKOing standard tank Rhydon after Stealth Rock with no prior damage, and Rhydon is pressured to check normals / fires / flyings so its not difficult to wear down. Keep it in set details as it should only be used with the alternate spread which is designed to 2HKO Tank Rhydon.

Some quick calcs:
4- SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 276-328 (70 - 83.2%)
4 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 307-364 (77.9 - 92.3%)
4- SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 166-198 (40 - 47.8%) [That's still a solid chunk of damage]
4- SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 244-291 (69.3 - 82.6%)
4 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 270-322 (76.7 - 91.4%) [I'd argue that dancing dino is the better set atm which is cleanly 2hkoed by both Naive and Jolly HP Grass]

I take back what I said earlier about Cross Chop, it doesnt sound that bad actually since it hits Piloswine and Miltank mainly as well as OHKOing Aurorus (earthquake cannot), so it can go back to OO for those reasons stated.

Do this and I'll upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)