Electrode (GP 2/2)

Electrode

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is known for being the second fastest Pokemon in NU, with its electrifying base 140 Speed putting it only behind Ninjask. Electrode makes great use of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, not all is well for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to most defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode is a great user of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static; Static has been known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Signal Beam / Foul Play
item: Life Orb
ability: Static / Aftermath
nature: Timid
evs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set, giving it both the power and Speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Because Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul Play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and as such it's the preferred move for defeating them. While Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice Band variant without any HP investment! Electrode's Speed is what makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon, such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game-changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck-related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high-powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. Because Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOs; this makes Spikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOs, such as against Torterra and Combusken. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed after using the move. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice, which also hits Torterra and Amoonguss. A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable move Electrode can use other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Prankster users has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation. Electrode could potentially use the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode because any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch in on any move and use Rock Slide on Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes almost nothing from anything else, and it can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks; although they cannot do massive damage to Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Throh and Gurdurr are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its ability, Guts. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it's running a common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is a specially attacking set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky because they might activate Static.</p>

You mentioned Regirock three times in the counters why?

Anyway, I think Electrode's only advantages when it comes to Rain Dance setting is its access to Taunt (a really, really fast Taunt) which none of the other Pokemon have aside from Murkrow (which is faster), and it is the only one to get a STAB Thunder. Unfortunately, I don't see Taunt as being very useful in NU when it comes to a psuedo-lead set (Stealth Rock users laugh at it), which means it could just die right after it does something, but it could be somewhat effective in some way. Don't know if this is a useful advantage whatsoever, but I think it is worth it somewhat.

I'd like more in the set comments. Right now, all you do is justify the use of each move, however, you don't explain what its does, what differentiates it from other special attacking Electric-types, etc. I want you to really expand on that and talk about how Electrode can clean up late-game, how much the walls need to be weakened, its advantages over other late-game cleaners, etc. I also think the name of the set should be changed. "Life Orb" isn't telling you much. I think late-game cleaner or some other name would be more appropriate.

In c&c, mention Eelektross, as it does well against Electrode provided it doesn't have Foul Play. It's also worth noting that Eelektross is immune to the Spikes support that Electrode usually has. Amoonguss should also be in c&c, because it can tank 2 Hidden Power Ice.

Modest should go in AC as it gives Electrode the power boost it really needs, but even with 252 Speed EV's, Electrode can't outspeed positive nature Swellow.

ps: It's Electro Ball, not Electroball.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Timid should honestly be the only nature mentioned on the analysis. If you're using Modest, you can't outspeed Swellow, and thus Zebstrika is a better choice due to Lightningrod / Motor Drive and Overheat. The 10% power boost isn't really enough to justify using Electrode in this case, imo, but it's your decision I suppose. I haven't used Electrode myself so I don't know whether the extra power nets any extra KOs with Thunderbolt or HP Ice.

Also, the set should just be called "All-Out-Attacker" or something, if we're going for consistency with other analyses.

I don't really get why the Rain Dance set is ommitted? Volbeat and Murkrow have SR weaknesses, Electrode has Taunt\ Volt Switch, STAB Thunder, but most importantly imo Explosion. Explosion obviously isn't to seriously damage an opponent, but to bring your sweeper in for free, as they won't take damage. Certainly enough imo to distinguish Electrode from the Prankster ones. And anyway, Electrode is so fast it's not like not having priority is a big deal for him.

I don't really get why the Rain Dance set is ommitted? Volbeat and Murkrow have SR weaknesses, Electrode has Taunt\ Volt Switch, STAB Thunder, but most importantly imo Explosion. Explosion obviously isn't to seriously damage an opponent, but to bring your sweeper in for free, as they won't take damage. Certainly enough imo to distinguish Electrode from the Prankster ones. And anyway, Electrode is so fast it's not like not having priority is a big deal for him.
Explosion is pretty dang weak now. Volt Switch allows it to switch out while doing a little bit less damage, but it doesn't sacrifice itself, meaning it could run something like Timid and set up Rain Dance more than once, which imo is more worth it. I'm pretty sure its also the only one with U-turn or Volt Switch.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The point of Explosion is that it guarantees that the next Pokemon in comes in for free. If Electrode uses Volt Switch, it will likely outspeed the opponent, and thus the Pokemon coming in gets hit by their attack, possibly killing them. Explosion does roughly the same amount of damage to opponents it hits neutrally, even with a hindering nature, so it's the better option for a suicide lead in general. Especially when you're planning on using things like Gorebyss.

The main reason I didn't include the Rain Dance set is that in NU many of the sweepers are already great at setting up their own rain, and have the natural bulk to set up themselves. Ludicolo, Mantine, and Seismitoad don't need Electrode's help at all. So as a rain sweeper he is kind of irrelevant. I just don't see the set being practical right now

Yeah this looks good. Rain Dance Electrode isn't that great, especially considering that most rain sweepers can set-up rain well themselves.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I concur that Rain Dance is pretty average, even on dedicated rain teams.

QC APPROVE 2/3

You need more Speed investment if you plan on revenging Gorebyss after a Shell Smash. That's really the only problem here. A spread of 40 HP / 252 SpAtk / 216 Spe lets you always outspeed +2 Modest Gorebyss (which is more common than Timid iirc). Electrode can't go faster than Timid +2 Gorebyss, but with that spread it beats Modest by one point of speed.

EDIT: Honestly, I don't see the point of putting any bulk on Electrode in the first place as it's already kind of frail. The original analysis says something about being able to set up Charge Beams better, but we're not even running that move. No, I'm not sure what max speed helps you beat, but it has to be more useful than a situational HP boost.

people use modest byss? I always ran Timid, i didn't even know modest ws an option. Anyways investing in the rest of the speed evs is a waste, the small amount of bulk is much more useful than outrunning nothing.

although I would like to change the EV spread to 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe.
It turns out right now we speed tie +1 Timid Butterfree, so i see no harm in running an extra 4 evs to outrun it. I'll make the change in the OP since i'll assume theres no rejections to 1 more speed point, since bUtterfree doesnt run hidden power

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Yep, this looks good. Rain teams usually have priority rain setters such as Volbeat, Murkrow, or Liepard.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Raseri! Can't believe you wrote it that fast.

am GP check

Remove

Add

Comment

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, second fastest in NU to Ninjask. Electrode is a great abuser of its high sSpeed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode’s Speed stat redundant is so high fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats, Comma such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealingoing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool, with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely, Electrode makes a great abuser of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's apostrophe Attack stat to deal damage. Since most of Electrode’s best counters have a high Attack stat, comma it makes a good abuser. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static. Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>This is Electrode’s best set in the NU metagame, giving it both the power and speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game hyphen, as well as OHKO Pokemon, comma such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Since Electrode is so fast, comma Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to kill KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode’s only way of reliably hitting Ground-types, comma such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode’s best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and is the preferred move for defeating them. Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly abusing it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play,; semicolon Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice band variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode’s speed that makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow, as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game changing than Aftermath’s, though ; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on haxy luck related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters such as, comma Regirock, Lickilicky, and comma Camerupt with ease using their high powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them they end up within Thunderbolt’s KO range. Since Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack it will often fall just short of KOes, this makes spikers such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes Electrode is able to gain some KOes. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although, no comma it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed in the process. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would commonly taunt have enough power to OHKO Electrode if they predict it Pokemon it would Taunt, can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem harder, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice. Modest can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode’s movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable thing attack Electrode can do other than the main set, as a the Rain Dance set was Electrode’s bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Pranksters has rendered Electrode’s niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode’s base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation, with its base power being halved. Electrode could potentially abuse the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 bBase pPower move. It is an inferior option on Electrode since any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Since Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn’t weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch-in hyphen on any move and Rock Slide Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode’s STAB moves and takes nothing from anything else and can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish, or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks, and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos, as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode’s moves attacks. ; Aalthough they cannot do massive damage back, comma they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode’s STAB moves and survive a Foul Play and KO back with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types, such as Throh and Gurdurr, commas are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard, Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its ability Guts ability. Eelektross is a great counter because it take very little from any attack, and is much harder to wear down due to its ability Levitate ability, making it immune to Spikes. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if running the common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if running a special attacker the Special Attacker set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP. Although most of Electrode’s counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such Absol’s Sucker Punch., alTthough using these moves is risky since it might activate Static.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, second fastest in NU to Ninjask. Electrode is a great abuser of its high sSpeed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats, such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool, with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely, Electrode makes a great abuser of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage. Since most of Electrode’s best counters have a high Attack stat, it makes a good abuser. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static. Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>This is Electrode’s best set in the NU metagame, giving it both the power and speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon, such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Since Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode’s only way of reliably hitting Ground-types, such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode’s best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and is the preferred move for defeating them. Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly abusing it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice band variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode’s speed that makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow, as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game changing than Aftermath’s; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters such as, comma Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt with ease using their high powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them they end up within Thunderbolt’s KO range. Since Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack it will often fall just short of KOes, this makes spikers such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes Electrode is able to gain some KOes. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed in the process. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt, can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice. Modest can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode’s movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable attack Electrode can do other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode’s bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Pranksters has rendered Electrode’s niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode’s base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation, with its base power being halved. Electrode could potentially abuse the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode since any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Since Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn’t weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch-in on any move and Rock Slide Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode’s STAB moves and takes nothing from anything else and can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish, or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks, and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos, as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode’s attacks; although, they cannot do massive damage back, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode’s STAB moves and survive a Foul Play and KO back with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types, such as Throh and Gurdurr, are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard, Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its Levitate ability, making it immune to Spikes. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if running the common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if the Special Attacker set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP. Although most of Electrode’s counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such Absol’s Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky since it might activate Static.</p>

Nice job writing this!

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, the second fastest in NU to Ninjask. Electrode is a great abuser of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats, such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool, with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode makes a great abuser of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage. Sinc; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat, it makes a good abuser. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static. Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set in the NU metagame, giving it both the power and speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon, such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. SincBecause Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types, such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul pPlay comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and is the preferred move for defeating them. Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly abusing it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice bBand variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode’s s's Speed that makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow, as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as, comma Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. SincBecause Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOes,s; this makes sSpikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOes. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed in the process. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt, can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice. A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable attack Electrode can do other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Pranksters has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation, with its base power being halved. Electrode could potentially abuse the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode sincbecause any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>SinceAs Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch- in on any move and Rock Slide Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes nothing from anything else and can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish, or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks, and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos, as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks; although, they cannot do massive damage backto Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves and, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO back with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types, such as Throh and Gurdurr, are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard,; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its Levitate ability, making it immune to SpikesGuts ability. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it running the common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is the Special Attacker set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky since itbecause they might activate Static.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, the second fastest in NU to Ninjask. Electrode is a great abuser of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode makes a great user of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static. Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set, giving it both the power and speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Because Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul Play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and is the preferred move for defeating them. Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly using it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice Band variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode's Speed that makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. Because Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOs; this makes Spikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOs. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed in the process. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice. A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable attack Electrode can do other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Pranksters has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation. Electrode could potentially abuse the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode because any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch in on any move and Rock Slide Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes nothing from anything else and can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks, and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks; although they cannot do massive damage to Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Throh and Gurdurr are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its Guts ability. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it running the common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is the Special Attacker set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky because they might activate Static.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, the second fastest in NU behind Ninjask. Electrode is a great abuser of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode makes a great user of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static. Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set, giving it both the power and speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Because Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul Play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and is the preferred move for defeating them. Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly using it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice Band variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode's Speed that makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. Because Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOs; this makes Spikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOs. Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed in the process. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice. A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable attack Electrode can do other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Pranksters has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation. Electrode could potentially abuse the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode because any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch in on any move and Rock Slide Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes nothing from anything else and can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks, (remove comma) and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks, (comma) and although they cannot do massive damage to Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Throh and Gurdurr are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its Guts ability. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it running the common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is the Special Attacker set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky because they might activate Static.</p>

I implemented Yonko7's, DittoCrow's and most of GatoDelFuego's check. Thanks everyone, this only needs one more!

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Electrode is well known for its electrifying base 140 Speed, the second fastest in NUbeing the second fastest Pokemon in NU, with its electrifying base 140 Speed putting it only behind Ninjask. Electrode is amakes great user of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just strong enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, not all is not swell for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to most defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode makeis a great user of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static.; Static has been well known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set, giving it both the power and sSpeed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Because Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul Play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and ias such it's the preferred move for defeating them. While Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, with only Sableye commonly using it. However, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice Band variant without any HP investment! It is Electrode's Speed tis what makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon, such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game -changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck -related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high -powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. Because Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOs; this makes Spikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOs (if you're gonna go out of your way to pick out a single layer of Spikes, you should provide some examples). Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed after using the processmove. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice (you're making it seem like HP Grass is better, you might want to add that HP Ice hits Amoonguss and Torterra while HP Grass doesn't). A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable attackmove Electrode can douse other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Prankster users has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation. Electrode could potentially use the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode because any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch in on any move and use Rock Slide on Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes almost nothing from anything else, and it can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks; although they cannot do massive damage to Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Throh and Gurdurr are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its Guts ability, Guts. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it's running thea common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is the Special Attackera specially attacking set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky because they might activate Static.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Electrode is known for being the second fastest Pokemon in NU, with its electrifying base 140 Speed putting it only behind Ninjask. Electrode makes great use of its high Speed stat, because its base 80 Special Attack is just enough to run a Life Orb set that can deal massive damage to most offensive Pokemon. Electrode is so fast that it can outrun prominent metagame threats such as Cinccino, Swoobat, and Swellow, dealing massive damage to all of them. Unfortunately, not all is well for Electrode, as it fails to do significant damage to most defensive Pokemon and has an incredibly shallow movepool with very few coverage options outside of Hidden Power. Strangely enough, Electrode is a great user of Foul Play, a move which uses the opponent's Attack stat to deal damage; this is because most of Electrode's best counters have a high Attack stat. Finally, Electrode has access to the ability Static; Static has been known to make enemies rage, and only contributes to the anger your opponent will have while being swept by Electrode.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Electrode's best set, giving it both the power and Speed to run through the tier. Thunderbolt is the primary STAB move, giving Electrode a move to clean up late-game, as well as OHKO Pokemon such as Samurott, Gorebyss, and Swoobat. Volt Switch is the move that is used most often early in the match, as it allows Electrode to scout potential switches while dealing damage to the opposition. Because Electrode is so fast, Volt Switch can be used to get out of a tough situation, and can be used to KO an opponent without losing momentum, as Volt Switch will OHKO Swellow. Hidden Power Ice is Electrode's only way of reliably hitting Ground-types such as Golem, Torterra, and Stunfisk. The choice between Signal Beam and Foul Play comes down to preference. Signal Beam is Electrode's best choice against Psychic-types, and is able to OHKO Exeggutor, who would otherwise beat this set. It is also slightly more powerful against Grass-types than Hidden Power Ice, and as such it's the preferred move for defeating them. While Foul Play is a move rarely seen competitively, Electrode is able to use the move very well in NU, as two of the best counters to Electrode, Golurk and Eelektross, are hit very hard by Foul Play; Golurk can even be OHKOed if it is a Choice Band variant without any HP investment! Electrode's Speed is what makes it stand out, as without that blistering base 140 Speed, it would have nothing of note over other Electric-types such as Zebstrika or Raichu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The designated EV spread is meant to be able to outspeed Swellow as well as neutral +1 base 80 Speed Pokemon, such as Braviary. Both Static and Aftermath are viable abilities, although Static is the preferred choice since its effect is much more game-changing than Aftermath's; however, Aftermath is perfectly viable if you prefer not to rely on luck-related abilities. Two of the best teammates for Electrode are Sawk and Emboar, who are able to defeat many Electrode counters, such as Regirock, Lickilicky, and Camerupt, with ease using their high-powered STAB Fighting-type moves. Golurk is another Pokemon that makes for a great partner due to its ability to hit Psychic-types very hard, and even if Golurk fails to KO them, they end up within Thunderbolt's KO range. Because Electrode only has base 80 Special Attack, it will often fall just short of KOs; this makes Spikes users such as Cacturne and Garbodor great teammates for Electrode, as even with just a single layer of Spikes, Electrode is able to gain some KOs (if you're gonna go out of your way to pick out a single layer of Spikes, you should provide some examples). Taunt is an option in the last slot, although it is not recommended because Electrode will often be KOed after using the move. Electrode is quite frail and many of the Pokemon it would Taunt can OHKO Electrode on the predicted attack. Hidden Power Grass can also be used to hit Golem, although it offers very little utility otherwise, as other Ground-types are hit just as hard by Hidden Power Ice (you're making it seem like HP Grass is better, you might want to add that HP Ice hits Amoonguss and Torterra while HP Grass doesn't). A Modest nature can also be used if you have a surefire way to remove Swellow, although the utility of being able to defeat it with Electrode is often worth not having to use an additional Pokemon, so Modest should only be used in rare cases.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Electrode's movepool is incredibly barren. Rain Dance is the most notable move Electrode can use other than the main set, as the Rain Dance set was Electrode's bread and butter set last generation. Unfortunately, the dawn of Prankster users has rendered Electrode's niche obsolete. Thunder is usable if you want to risk the chance of missing, but is otherwise outclassed by Thunderbolt. Explosion is another option that Electrode has at its disposal, although it is pitifully weak coming off of Electrode's base 50 Attack, especially with the nerf to Explosion this generation. Electrode could potentially use the combination of Thunder Wave and Electro Ball to have a STAB 150 Base Power move. It is an inferior option on Electrode because any turn it spends using Thunder Wave is a turn it should have spent attacking, as it is far too frail to risk using Thunder Wave. Finally, Electrode can use Charge Beam, although it is laughably weak and Electrode will struggle to KO anything with it, and will likely be OHKOed in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Electrode is quite weak, any Pokemon with decent special bulk that isn't weak to Thunderbolt will likely be able to check it. Lickilicky is able to switch in and either Wish stall Electrode out of HP due to Life Orb recoil or Body Slam it for a lot of damage. Regirock can also switch in on any move and use Rock Slide on Electrode or set up Stealth Rock. Camerupt is immune to Electrode's STAB moves and takes almost nothing from anything else, and it can take advantage of Electrode to use Rock Polish or set up Stealth Rock if it is a defensive set. Piloswine is also immune to Electric-type attacks and can retaliate with a powerful STAB Earthquake, OHKOing Electrode with ease. Ampharos as well as other bulky Electric-types take pittance from Electrode's attacks; although they cannot do massive damage to Electrode, they can paralyze it and make Electrode useless for the rest of the match. Regice can use its massive base 200 Special Defense to wall Electrode and hit it hard with Ice Beam. Seismitoad takes nothing from Electrode unless it is running the rare Hidden Power Grass, and can either hit it with Earth Power or set up Rain Dance and sweep. Golurk with HP investment can switch in on Electrode's STAB moves, survive a Foul Play, and OHKO with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Throh and Gurdurr are able to tank a Thunderbolt and hit Electrode hard; Gurdurr even powers up if Static activates due to its ability, Guts. Eelektross is capable of hitting Electrode with a powerful Superpower if it's running a common Choice Band set, or with Flamethrower if it is a specially attacking set. Amoonguss can tank a super effective Hidden Power Ice and Spore Electrode in return, switching out afterwards to regain the lost HP through Regenerator. Although most of Electrode's counters are defensive, it can be revenge killed by powerful priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch, although using these moves is risky because they might activate Static.</p>

[GP]2/2[/GP]

ok I added everything you changed, added some specific KOes you get with Spikes, and the bit about Tort and Amoonguss. This is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)