1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Elements Mafia POSTGAME Neutral Domination!

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by blue_light, Apr 27, 2009.

1. blue_light

blue_light

So for this mafia, with its elements theme I wanted to include most of the important elements so that even people that were new or not knowledgeable at chemistry could still find it to be an enjoyable experience. Most of the flavor for elements was in the pms and the lynches, but there were some game mechanics that needed some knowledge for chemistry. The spread was 14-4-4-2, which I was told gave the village a great advantage, so the twins were modified to become wolves in all scenarios. However, both wolves had checks to them with Carbon being the check for Oxide and Nitrogen being the check for Water. Unfortunately, none of the wolves were ever kept in place, which led to great carnage near the end of the game.

The ratings are from 1-10 meaning 5 would be average. They are mostly based on how active you were and how much you communicated with your teammates, if you idled a lot do not expect mercy.

Village
    In terms of activity and targets, Bass wasn’t exactly spot on, but he was able to stop Lightwolf’s kill targeting Lesm46 which. He wasn’t able to refreeze Serenity, but he lasted quite a long time though his inactivity and relative silence in the beginning may have caused unforeseen damage to the village.

Rating: 6/10

The standard martyr role, I believe Lesm46 played extremely well and was able to extract quite a lot of information for his team while also hitting Flounder early on (which may or may not have irrelevant). Early on Lesm46 was able to show me very long and comprehensive list of players in the game with their roles (most of them were correct), but in my opinion he did not share his information well which left him begging to give information to his teammates after his death. Another mistake was that the night that he died he also distracted billymills from stalking his killer, which caused Lesm46 to pull billymills with him.

Rating 7.5/10
    Jimbo died pretty early on due to his interaction with Macle. When Jimbo found out that he was going to turn into a psychopath upon porygon3’s death, he decided to soften the village up for picking. He was able to gain Macle and Sikh’s trust and give them information about the identities of the village’s bodyguard and inspector. However, his act of asking Macle to give him the Sodium Acetate found on Gmax’s body, resulted in his death when the Halogens found out from Macle that he was requesting the item.

Rating 6.5/10

Porygon3 in my opinion played excellently and really did some lasting damage to the village, whether or not he actually made those choices I do not know. Porygon3 didn’t really say much to people early on until Jimbo died, in which he masqueraded as the village vigilante and was Thunda’s hitman later on in the game. His first two targets was the killing of Mordock, which didn’t really affect anything since Mordock pretty much didn’t say anything and idled a lot, and the elimination of Thunda’s diamond form. Ironically Porygon3 couldn’t kill Thunda in his graphite form, trying so would cause their fusion into Carbon Monoxide (the real village vigilante), but he was able to make Thunda vulnerable to Serenity’s kill later on. Unfortunately he was fooled by Serenity into thinking that he had been recruited by her powers and was left awestruck as Serenity betrayed him after finishing off the last Base Element.

Rating 9/10
    Another standard power role, which didn’t really come into play much as RB-Goldbat was able to protect moi only once before croaking from Sikh’s explosions. He did come into contact with the village, but was unfortunate in trusting Jimbo with his role (you shouldn’t really trust twins) which led to his death.
    Rating 5/10
    Perhaps the most influential Base Element out of them all, Thunda was able to establish a core of trustworthy minions and unite the village early on and was able to use their info to systematically destroy the Combustibles and one of the Halogens. However, later on in the game in my opinion he had some lapses in judgment, but he still played fairly well overall. His decision to not using his bonding power on porygon3 was probably his biggest oversight near the end and of course the lynches and vigilante targets were fairly poor, but from the information that he had they were not bad decisions.

Regarding his fusions he could have fused with one of the oxygens (if only one is alive), both of the oxygens (if both were alive), Calcium, Lithium, and Sulfur.

The primary fusion targets were the twins, in which he would have formed Carbon Monoxide (Village Vigilante with Night X – Asphyxiate User) or Carbon Dioxide with a one time weather changing ability which can change Day to Night or Night to Day, activated with a command similar to that of Sulfur’s.

The fusion of Calcium and Lithium would have formed mayors (3 votes in total) while the fusion with Sulfur would have enhanced Sulfur’s rogue ability to allies and not just the target.

Rating 8/10
    Billymills was a bit of nerfed rogue, but his stalks were pretty spot on. Unfortunately he did not communicate with the village at all and was targeted by the “village vigilante” and their martyr at the same time causing his death, which could have been avoided with communication.

Rating 4/10
    From what I was told, moot was able to get in touch with the village early on and was able to acquire the Sodium Acetate from Macle fairly early on, though his action to keep the Sodium Acetate was rather curious as he was not exactly an extremely important member of the village. Regardless, the Sodium Acetate was able to spare his life from an acid attack from Lightwolf, but unfortunately he was re-targeted by Shade later on and killed.

Rating 7/10
    Moi was an inspector with a fun little posting restriction, which unfortunately came into play. Moi only inspected twice hitting Thunda and Rev which were two relatively solid hits. I do not know if he informed his team of Rev’s role pm prior to his death, but from the looks of what happened something must have not clicked. He was eventually godkilled after I was informed during a conversation with the Halogens that moi was faking his posting restriction.

Rating 4.5/10
    An interesting role that I created last minute for balancing reasons, Phantasia’s role was originally a noble gas that was a watcher but was scrapped and given this seemingly useless ability instead. The ability used to belong to Lead, but given the Vacuum that Phantasia started off with the ability isn’t unusable (Moot’s ability was modified to use this item as a Pseudo-Silencer). Unfortunately Phantasia did not communicate with his fellow Base Elements much at all which caused them to waste a lynch on him.

Rating 2.5/10
    Stoo was the mayor for the village with an interesting item which was the only one that did not come into play (though it almost did). Early on Stoo was able to contact Earthworm and begin the moling of the combustibles. Due to a huge oversight by Sikh, Stoo was able to acquire Sikh’s entire role pm unedited (yes, including his teammates’ names). Besides this great action, Stoo was able to assist in the lynches and later on he tried to mole the Halogens, but unfortunately Lightwolf was not a 11 year old Indian kid and his faulty information ended up with ControllerOfFlames being falsely accused and lynched. However, overall Stoo did relatively well, though if he had used the Catalyst right (activating it during the day, not the night), he would have given porygon3 priority on Night 7 and spare his own life.

Rating 8/10
    This pair was fairly inactive, they only sent in 2 pms in total, though both watching sessions were able to hit something. Magmortified caught moot trying to steal from Earthworm N0, which did not affect anything from what I could tell. Magmortified was later subbed out for GreenPikachu who tracked Lighwolf at a peculiar time. He was able to catch Lightwolf being visited by Shade on an even night. Unfortunately, from what I could guess there was some miscommunication and Shade was not deemed suspect for doing an action on an even night (his false claim was odd night back up bodyguard). Overall the pair was pretty inactive.

Rating 3.5/10
    ControllerOfFlames had an interesting real time role, which basically gave him a 3 vote swing in most situations (more if a mayor or vote gainer was involved). Unfortunately I did not see ControllerOfFlames on IRC at all and from what I could tell was unable to contact his fellow teammates at all. This eventually led to his lynch by the hands of the village.

Rating 1.5/10

With the two mafias, I tried to balance them by giving the Halogens and the Combustibles with about equal power. The Halogens, however, would have won in a one-on-one situation since they had the highest kill priority. To balance the Halogen’s kill priority the Combustibles had abilities even if their killer died, in the case of the Halogens if the killer died the recipient of the Hydrogen atoms would lose their previous abilities. Both teams were given an ability to acquire items, for the Halogens they had a thief which could back up their kills in the event that they lost the Sodium Acetate, while the Combustibles were given the Scavenger which can then be combined with the Inspector. Overall the Combustibles fell pretty flat due to bad luck and inexperience, while the Halogens did pretty well (only one Halogen was ever lynched, the other three were all killed during the night)

Halogens
    In hindsight I should have made the Sodium Acetate make Halogens show up as Sodium instead of Acetate, since the Halogen’s really lacked in the information department, but it didn’t really matter since Gmax died extremely fast. Gmax was a critical component of the halogens very early on. He help setup their channel #ine almost as soon as pms were sent out and he later on gave advice to his fellow halogens. Unfortunately, Gmax was unprepared in terms of fake role pms so when he was pressured by Earthworm he could only give up the closest fake role pm he had on hand which was the Acetate role pm. Gmax then could not afford being inspected as Hydrofluoric acid so he decided to forgo killing anyone Night 1 and decided to instead keep the Acetate on his body to prevent inspection results from hitting home. This decision caused the Halogens to lose their Night 1 kill and later on their Sodium Acetate which was a bulletproof vest against their kills.

Rating 5.5/10
    Lightwolf took up the Hydrogen atoms after Gmax’s death (The hydrogen atom transfer went down the periodic table) and didn’t really do too good of a job at killing people since he decided to hit moot (who had the sodium acetate). However, in my opinion he had a great claim, but was unlucky in that he was randomly hit by the hooker and then deemed a lynch target by the villagers. He was also instrumental in me finding out that moi had violated his posting restrictions so I give him props for that.

Rating 7/10
    Shade’s fake claim that he was the back up bodyguard was excellent and was by far the best fake claim in the game. He was able to gain the village’s trust and with that a lot of great information for him to use. He also got fooled by Macle’s Aluminum fake role pm, which I also thought was decent, but was ineffective since everybody knew that Macle was a Combustible except for Shade. Unfortunately he gambled wrong at the end and was killed by porygon3.

8.5/10
    Early on in the game Hobo Joe had to be subbed out due to some unspecified problems, but CyzirVisheen was eager to take up Hobo Joe’s mantle. CyzirVisheen was relatively unfortunate in that Hobo Joe was not that active and had not claimed to the villagers at all, because of this CyzirVisheen was suspected of being a Halogen and was killed by porygon3 on Thunda’s orders. CyzirVisheen was able to get the Salt Bridge off Macle’s body, but before he could use it, it was stolen from him by Serenity.

Rating 6.5/10

Combustibles
    Flounder was unfortunately martyred extremely early by Lesm46 and was thus lynched by a blood thirsty village, though it may not have mattered since Sikh gave away his teammates’ identities anyway. From what I could tell Flounder’s only decision was to have Gmax killed because he was a dangerous person late game, in my opinion not very impressive.

Rating 2/10
    Out of all the Combustibles I would probably say that Macle did the best that he could. Though he was pretty much marked to death from the Day 1 and onwards, Macle was able to fool Shade into thinking that he was a Base Element. Near the end of his life Macle was not particularly careful with his information and pretty much gave it to anyone that asked. He tried to give Jimbo the Sodium Acetate before he died, but he ended up telling the Halogens that Jimbo was going to receive the Sodium Acetate which ended up getting Jimbo killed.

Rating 5/10
    There’s really not much to say here, Sikh is pretty much the Village MVP. Sikh did manage to kill RB-Goldbat before he died (though it was Jimbo’s information), though that was a last minute change from Misaki-Chi (who was stalking him that night) and would have ended in a big boom.

Rating 1/10 (I wish I could go lower)
    Earthworm tried to mole the village early on by masquerading as their inspector, but unfortunately he fell swiftly to Thunda’s interrogation. Earthworm, unfortunately also helped drag the Halogens down by interrogating an unprepared Gmax which led to his team having even less of a chance of winning.

Rating 3/10

For the neutrals in this game, I wanted to have a wolf and an interesting neutral. With Water I created a timed wolf and with Uranium I basically wanted to make a cthlulu, but one that wouldn’t completely rape in such a small mafia. In the end, both neutrals were highly successful in that they the two winners of this mafia.

Neutrals
    Serenity was at first not very enthusiastic with her role, but in my opinion played it the best that anyone could have. All of her targets (a total of three), hit the village extremely hard (Hooker, Martyr, BPV) and she was even able to grab a Salt Bridge from CyzirVisheen, though she decided to waste it, incase there was another thief out there. She was later on able to persuade Porygon3 into thinking that she had mind controlled him and was able to trick him into following her orders and eventually voting with her to kill the last Base Element. Her Photon was also able to hit RB-Golbat which not only confirmed Shade’s fake role pm, but also alerted Shade of what his fake role pm should consist of.

Rating 10/10
    Misaki-Chi was able to play her role perfectly (though not the way that I intended). She was able to establish trust between her and the village early on. From what I was told she communicated a lot with the village and was able to stalk the right people at the right time (almost blew up Sikh and was stalking Serenity at the end of the game). With her declared neutrality Misaki-Chi was able to cruise to victory while only participating in one lynch.

Rating 10/10

Overall, Thorns and I had a lot of fun hosting this game and from what I have heard a lot of people had lots of fun too. Thank you all for playing Elements Mafia!
  2. blue_light

blue_light

Thorns can post the spreadsheets that show the priorities and actions and stuff.
  3. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

When I am told who is a wolf, tell the village that I am sulfur and a rogue, and then successfully stalk my killer, what else is necessary.

Fuck you lesm.
  4. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

very very awesome concept
  5. RBG

RBG But I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop grooving.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

I died cause I trusted Jimbo, I will never do that again

And cause of a last minute choice damnit
  6. tape-type

tape-type

It was a really good game, especially for the theme, I really like chemistry.
  7. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i.agree.with.phantasia.^_^
    i.had.loads.of.fun.keeping.a.low.profile.thanks.blue.light.and.thorns.for.an.enjoyable.mafia.with.a.good.theme
    !!
  8. Gmax

Gmax kuahahahaha
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

So that's the idiot who decided to kill me for that retarded reason. ITT Flounder keeps up his impressive record! Well, I enjoyed watching Shade mole his way in. I was glad to see that my team was competent, and I enjoyed watching them play! I should really have gotten that PM ready though, so yeah I agree with "[12:16] <Earthworm> laziness kills !". Also, Earthworm, you should sue the donut/taxicab/telephone company which fucked up with that white rectangle!

Thanks to Blue Light/Thorns for hosting and coming up with a good game of mafia! Though I don't really get why you posted the vote count during the CoF lynch lol, that wasn't exactly necessary, and usually when a vote tally is presented, it's the tally of visible votes, not the actual count.
  9. Veedrock

Veedrock

This. He might have made it out of the lynch if you didn't telegraph "HEY YOU'RE NEUTRALIZED" to the others, which might have made them idle for the lynch (I don't think it would've mattered though, but still).

Obligatory FU to blue_light for not letting me play because of internet issues, but then hosting with his own! (though, I never took Chemistry in high school).

Oh yeah, good game blah blah blah.

EDIT: "Oh" concerning CoF's ability. And I do get on IRC >_>

EDIT2:
    lol
  10. blue_light

blue_light

Yeah, yeah, but at least I can get on IRC unlike you. Plus I didn't come into the mafia thinking that I would have internet problems.
    The post count thing is a part of his ability, since he can do it all the time, he could have basically stealth lynched every single vote if used right. His ability was also real time, so he can change it at any time if people try to get smart and smart playing around with their votes. Either way he would have been lynched, unless he chose to charge jumpluff. Every time he changed his target, a new post count will be posted.
  11. Thorns

Thorns

Actions. You might notice some lucky coincidences, such as the double target on Lesm on Night 5, thanks to his lucky martyring, a villager was saved. Stuff like breaking Thunda's BPV and Bass saving Lesm from an early death thanks to hookering LightWolf were also interesting.
    The spreadsheet with all the info of the game.

The Almighty Elements Mafia Award Ceremony!

Best Bodyguard - Shade
    Shade protected the right people the whole game. Whilst none of his targets were ever targeted, he still made the best choices.

Best Inspector - moi
    On account of the fact he got more than one inspect in. Sorry Earthworm!

Best Hooker - Bass
    Very nice hooker work here. He saved Lesm46 once, and all of his targets (save Stoo) were mafias!

Best Thief - moot
    The other thieves did get items, but moot's theft was so well timed. Stealing the Acetate saved him from death by hydrochloric acid!

Best Killer - Serenity
    Rev eliminated Lesm, Bass and Thunda, some of the most powerful townies. Shade gets special mentions for killing moot, GP and Stoo.

Serial Killer(s) - Serenity/porygon3/Shade
    Each of them killed three people.

Best Base Element - Sikh Assassin
    Brilliantly infiltrated the Combustibles and led them to their doom. No, not really.

Real Best Base Element - Lesm46/Thunda
    Thunda's leadership actually made me believe the Base Elements had his. However, his mistake of not turning p3 into a vigilante makes him tied with the brilliant martyr Lesm as the best Base Elements. Both excellent players.

Best Mafia (Combustibles don't count) - Shade
    Shade played really well. He protected the right people, and killed the right people. He put the Halogens in quite a good position right from the getgo.

Worst Base Element - ControllerOfFlames
    Don't get on IRC, then try to lynch a confirmed townie? Nice.

Worst Mafia - Sikh Assassin
    [​IMG]

Flawless Play - Misaki-chi
    Admittedly, her role was pretty easy to win with, but she did the right thing claiming to Thunda and helping him out (?) by lynching CoF.

Best User Not Playing - Fishin
    Self-explanatory.

Best Players - Lesm46/Thunda/Shade/Serenity
    Honestly, I can't think of a real clear best player. All of these players helped their teams (and herself in Rev's case) brilliantly and you should be scared if you have any of these players as your enemy.

There's no Worst Player award. You can all guess who it was though.
  12. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

Funny thing is that we were going to make Lesm target billymills that night with the salt bridge. Well thanks to Rev it did not get wasted.
  13. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

village ain't shit.

LightWolf I was trying to HELP you from the inside of the village.

but ok I forgive you let's just blame Macle ok?
  14. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

Well macle wasn't thinking that Shade is mafia so he had no reason to tell him about what you are
  15. Thunda

Thunda

this game was a lot of fun, great work blue_light and thorns! diamonds are a girls best friend
  16. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

this was a good game.

well hosted, you guys.
  17. Serenity

Serenity

This was a really well executed game for the neutrals, all three of us, and for the hosts. The village seemed almost unstoppable which is why I showed some hostility towards my role early on in the game. However, with the knowledge that P3 was the twin early on, I was able to use this to my advantage by claiming that Thorns and demon238 had made him my ally, and that we were a 'wolf faction', which I believe p3 believed.

I did feel bad though, I had completely deceived a nice man. :(

Once I gained my powers in Night 5, I was able to use it to cripple the village. Between Porygon3 and I, the biggest mistake probably was the targeting of thunda, the BPV. However, I decided to target him later, and at that point he was no longer in that role.

I'm glad the village didn't lynch me or suspect p3 really.

Combustibles were cripped early on, then Halogens were slowly spotted. The unstoppable village became stoppable. The neutrals took control. That is how the game rolled~

Anyway, like I said, this was an extremely interesting concept for a mafia, it seemed bland when it was announced but by far this is probably one of my favorite mafias even when compared to the bigger mafias. Great hosts.
  18. Flounder

Flounder

I blame sikh
  19. Thorns

Thorns

Yeah, unlucky that Lesm decided to flash you :(
    Also 'lol Sikh'
  20. X-Trader

X-Trader

You live and you learn. Sorry.
  21. porygon3

porygon3

Looking back on it I can't believe I wasn't more suspicious of what Rev was telling me, but whatever. Although on the final day I realized she was obviously lying, but I wasn't going to bother doing anything about it then. If I tried to lynch her, she would just lynch me back and I didn't want to risk getting voted by Phantasia also and getting lynched. I guess I should have taken that chance though. Or phantasia could have not voted and let her kill me the next night anyway! So no matter what I probably lose :(

As for killing the village, yeah I meant to do that mostly. It was like 2 mafias to a bunch of villagers and I didn't want the whole village alive to realize I was bad. I got lesm and thunda to believe I was vigilante and went from there, starting from my 3rd night to kill. I killed randomly the first time since I had no idea who to kill, so I got Mordock, then tried to kill thunda the next night because I thought he was the inspector and the bodyguard was dead. After that I asked him to I should kill, he said Cyzir and billymills the next night. Both times it was "or rev" but I didn't do it

edit: also twin is a cool role
  22. Gmax

Gmax kuahahahaha
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I don't think you're in any position to be pointing fingers. You're the one who decided to kill a "Neutral Silencer" N0 because he would be "a lategame threat". I'm pretty sure you just got lucky that everyone found a bigger idiot to be taken advantage of on the Combustibles, otherwise they'd have made YOU slip up eventually. And I wouldn't go calling people out on being bad teammates in your place, if you know what I mean.
  23. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

How was the balance of this game, did the theory about too strong of a village pan out? Like, had the neutrals not dominated, could the mafia have had a chance (and had the mafia not given themswlves away).

I am curious..

Have a nice day.
  24. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

yes hip, if p3 hadn't of killed me, there is a likelyhood that i would've won.
  25. blue_light

blue_light

From my point of view, the village was extremely strong even at the end when it was picking itself off, but this was mostly because the mafias were unlucky. The combustibles were picked off quite early due to Sikh's revelation and bad luck, while the Halogens had a rough start (losing their first night kill and losing acetate which would later nullify one of their kills). In my opinion the Village did not have too big of an advantage when taking account these events.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)