1. The moderators of this forum are DHR-107, Jellicent, and The Dutch Plumberjack.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

WIP Elusive Generation Exclusive Moves

Discussion in 'Articles and In-Game Guides' started by Theorymon, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Theorymon

Theorymon I'll be your 1-up girl!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Originally it was called Elusive Move tutors, but some really hard to get moves fall under something different, so I figure this is a better name!

Before I get started, feel free to make suggestions for moves to put in. I'm gonna focus on competitively relevant moves and semi competitively relevant Pokemon (so no I'm not going to tell you how to get Endure Luvdisc unless people actually need that lol). I may also include stuff like certain important move illegalities as well. I'm also considering event moves, but I think we may have an event database? If we do, I might want to link to it in this article regardless.

Anyways, here are the moves thus far!

Generation 1: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow

Thanks to the 3DS Virtual Console, it is now possible to transfer Pokemon from the first generation of games. There are some unique legality issues to note of however.

-These Pokemon can not have any egg moves, as this was before breeding was in the series.

-All Pokemon transferred from Generation 1 are forced to have their hidden abilities.

-Since Pokemon transfered from Generation 1 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon must come in regular Pokeballs, since Generation 1 did not record the type of Pokeball used to catch Pokemon.

-All of these moves are TM moves.

Body Slam

Significant Pokemon

Kangaskhan: Illegal with Power-up Punch and Scrappy

Tauros: Illegal with Intimidate

Other Pokemon

Counter

Significant Pokemon

Chansey: Illegal with Natural Cure, Wish, Aromatherepy (NOTE: this is an egg move starting in gen 6)

Double-Edge

Significant Pokemon

Kangaskhan: Illegal with Scrappy and Power-up Punch (NOTE: this is an egg move in later gens)

Pinsir: illegal with Quick Attack, Feint, Mold Breaker, Hyper Cutter

Snorlax: Illegal with Recycle,Thick Fat, Fire Punch, Pursuit, Happy Hour (NOTE: This is an egg move in later gens)

Other Pokemon

Fissure

Significant Pokemon

Machop, Machoke, Machamp: Illegal with No Guard

Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Politoed (evolution in gen 7): Illegal with Water Absorb, Ice Punch, Encore

Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking (evolution in gen 7): Illegal with Iron Defense, Oblivious, Belly Drum

Snorlax: Illegal with Recycle,Thick Fat, Fire Punch, Pursuit, Happy Hour (NOTE: This is an egg move in later gens)

Mew: Illegal with Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Trick, Knock Off

Other Pokemon

Horn Drill

Significant Pokemon

Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite: Illegal with Extreme Speed, Dragon Dance, Iron Head

Mew: Illegal with Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Trick, Knock Off

Reflect

NOTE: While Reflect has consistently been a TM, the Gen 1 learnpool for Reflect is dramatically different than other gens.

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur: Illegal with Giga Drain

Chansey: Illegal with Natural Cure, Aromatherapy, Wish

Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite: Illegal with Extreme Speed, Dragon Dance

Eevee family: illegal with Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, Flash Fire, Synchronize

Gyarados: Illegal with Intimidate, Bounce

Moltres: Illegal with Pressure

Porygon, Porygon2, Porygon-Z (via gen 7 evolution): Illegal with Download, Trace, Adaptability, Foul Play, Trick

Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking (via gen 7 evolution): Illegal with Oblivious, Iron Defense, Belly Drum

Tentacool, Tentacruel: Illegal with Liquid Ooze

Voltorb, Eelctrode: Illegal with Static

Zapdos: Illegal with Heat Wave, Extrasensory, Air Cutter, Baton Pass

Other Pokemon

Seismic Toss

Chansey: Illegal with Natural Cure, Wish, Aromatherepy (NOTE: This became an egg move starting in Generation 6)

Clefairy, Clefable: Illegal with Magic Guard, Softboiled

Kangaskhan: Illegal with Scrappy, Power-up Punch

Generation 3: Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, XD

-All tutor moves are only avaliable in Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Pokemon XD. They are one-use in all games but Emerald as well.

-Apricorn Balls are illegal on these Pokemon.

-Hidden Abilities are not obtainable on these Pokemon.

Counter (Tutor)

Double-Edge (Tutor)

Endure (Tutor)

Seismic Toss (Tutor)

Softboiled (Tutor)

Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable

Togepi, Togetic

Mew

Pokemon XD Moves

The Gamecube game, Pokemon XD, has several very exclusive moves that are obtained after purifying a Shadow Pokemon. Many of these are fairly useful in doubles, and are the only way to obtain them.
    Air Cutter

Extrasensory

Follow Me

Heal Bell

Helping Hand

Refresh

Sing

Mew Tutors

These two moves are (mostly) exclusive to Pokemon XD. Mew may only learn one of them, it can not have all of them in one moveset.

Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade.

Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver

Defog (HM)

NOTE: In order to transfer this move up, you must teach the Pokemon Defog in Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, then trade them over to Heart Gold or Soul Silver to transfer them to further generations.

Sucker Punch (Tutor)

Vacuum Wave (Tutor)

Pokemon Ranch Mew (Hypnosis)

If you fill up all 1000 slots on the Wii Ware game, Pokemon Ranch, with Pokemon from Diamond or Pearl, you will be rewarded with a Mew that knows Hypnosis.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Theorymon

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Just posting this here now: I realize that the Gold and Silver VC games come out fairly soon, so I'm going to add what that'd add in this 2nd post this weekend so I can't get a bit ahead of the game, then add it to the main post if the game does what we expect!
  3. Jellicent

Jellicent
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

byronthewellwell and Theorymon like this.
  4. Theorymon

Yeah totally! Honestly, our event guides are that out of date, I don't mind just retrofitting that stuff into this article. Once I get through this week of classes, I got a labor day weekend full of nothing, so I could easily just blast through the regular elusive moves, then add the event moves.

I think it fits since the point of this article is if you're playing ingame (especially for one of Gamefreak's weird ass tournaments where past gen stuff may be unexpectedly useful), you can use this guide to see how feasible using certain stuff is. Mentioning that something like say, Heart Stamp Jirachi requires an obscure event is a good way of keeping people in check fast!
  5. Hare_vs_Tortoise

Hare_vs_Tortoise

Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here but I ran across a PU play asking for a male Human Like mon to be taught TM Captivate in Gen 4 to breed onto Jynx for Z-Captivate. Didn't know whether that was worth adding along with Ally Switch from Gen 5 for Ralts.
  6. Death Phenomeno

Death Phenomeno I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Would moves that Pokémon learn in one game but no longer in subsequent games apply for this guide?

I'm sure there are more but I'm thinking specifically about the 4th gen. legendaries; they learn different moves from Platinum onwards than from in Diamond and Pearl . For example, Grass Whistle Shaymin, Pursuit Darkrai, and Heal Block Dialga/Palkia/Giratina.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)