Embirch and Flarelm - Part 8 - Dex Entry Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The time has come to finally finish up and get this project over and done with. Pokedex entries are the last on the billing. Hopefully we can get some awesome Dex entries submitted and finish in style! Sorry the last few sections of this have been a little disjointed, I have both been incredibly busy IRL and trying to give Artists as much time as needed.

I have furreted around and have managed to find Pyroak's original dex entries which were voted on in this thread. From what I can gather, the following options won:

Option#4: "All PYROAK keep the same set of armor throughout their entire life. It is said the age of any PYROAK can be estimated by counting the rings in the wood."
Option#1: "The smoke from PYROAK's flames is said to have soothing qualities. However, it is also known to induce odd behaviour in Pokémon and humans alike."
Option#8: "PYROAK are known to engage in ceremonial duels banning use of their cannons. Their armour protects them from injuring themselves when charging one another."
Just from those alone I can see some similarities to Meganium in some ways. I am only asking for DPPt entries. Remember if mentioning names they need to be in all capitals.

• Dex entries must be submitted as a final submission to be considered for the final poll. Bold the words 'Final Submission' in your post for it to be considered as such.
  • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is disallowed. If people don't comment on your dex entry, let that be your feedback. You can revise it and repost it, but don't ask countless times for feedback.
  • Dex entries are typically 1 to 3 concise sentences. Look at pre-existing dex entries to get an idea for how these are formatted.
  • These are Generation 4 Pokedex Entry Submissions, not BW. Make sure you don't follow Gen5 conventions and please provide DPPt entries.
  • Keep entries in good taste. If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic, it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be infracted and deleted.
  • Do not post "Cool!" or "I like this one!" without additional comments. Substantiate your posts. Your post will be infracted and deleted if you do this. Make sure that you provide some comments when you say stuff like this.
  • You may only submit one final submission. If you want to change your final submission before the deadline, that's fine, but do not repost it. Edit your original final submission.
  • Please include the species name. Although Pyroak does not have one, please include your own interpretation of one for Embirch and Flarelm

Let's get this party started and tidy up what is left of Embirch and Flarelm! I'll give you guys a tentative 60 hours on this! That's two and a half days.

What we have so far:

Names: Embirch and Flarelm
Type: Fire/Grass & Fire/Grass
Abilities: Reckless / Leaf Guard & Rock Head / Battle Armor
Stats: Embirch: 60 / 40 / 55 / 65 / 40 / 60 & Flarelm: 90 / 50 / 95 / 75 / 70 / 40
Movepool: Click Me

Sprites (These are subject to change):

&

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
'Final Submission

Embirch, the Kindling Pokémon

Diamond
: EMBIRCH strive to get tougher by charging at stronger foes. Over time, its scales grow to thick layers.
Pearl: It constantly looks for an opponent to fight. It is willing to launch fireballs to provoke them.
Platinum: After a battle, it mediates under the sun to restore its willpower and energy.

Flarelm, the Torch Pokémon

Diamond
: As it grows, the armor it wears grows with it. FLARELM whittles pieces of its armor to keep it lightweight and flexible.
Pearl: Its leaves are not only fireproof, but also release excess heat. Touching a FLARELM's leaf can leave second-degree burns.
Platinum: In battle, it awaits adversaries to attack it first. Then, it fires a powerful counterattack from its arm cannons.

My reasoning for my entries: When I wondered over its personality, I decided multiple facets of its determination to fight and get stronger. This, inadvertently, worked well with Embirch's abilities. Despite this adamant behavior, Embirch is not simple, but instead, contemplates over how it can improve while healing at the same time.

Flarelm's entries are less warmongering--actually, to contrast, the Embirch's Platinum entry is the one that does not involve Embirch fighting, while Flarelm's is the only one that involves it fighting, and even then, with calculation and patience rather than rushing in head-first (literally). Instead, I describe how it works as a pokemon, with Pearl having that standard 'scientific fact' description.

I had trouble thinking of species names until I realized, hey, wood burns, doesn't it? 'Kindling' is a nice word to describe a small fire. 'Kindle' also describes young offspring, which Embirch is in its line. 'Torch' is straightforward and doesn't have a secondary meaning.

Length is of D/P/Pt length, of course.

Final Submission

Embirch, the Sanguine Pokemon

Diamond: EMBIRCH are known for their over-confident attitude. They are relentless when trying to impress their comrades, but are usually unsuccessful.
Pearl: It is said that the leaves of an EMBIRCH's skirt are foraged by its mother. Only when worn can an EMBIRCH be truly accepted as a member of its tribe.
Patinum: The cannons of an EMBIRCH can supply a weak ember. This is used for guiding its fellow members through dense jungles.

Flarelm, the Scorch Pokemon

Diamond: It is very easy to anger a resting FLARELM. Once provoked, it uses its club-like cannons to batter its foe.
Pearl: FLARELM's wooden armour is robust and fire-resistant, allowing it to utilise powerful heat waves without caution.
Platinum: The wood of a FLARELM's cannon darkens over time. This is due to the absorption of ash residue from which the flames leave behind.

Explanations: I had difficulty coming up with Embirch's species name, until I realised that Sanguine was very fitting. It both implied a red-like colour, and also a happily-proud attitude, which is what Embirch is, and what I was trying to convey in my descriptions. Diamond conveys their overconfident nature, Pearl shows the fact that Embirch is still just a child, and the nurturing aspect, and the Platinum introduces why the cannons are there.

For Flarelm, I also had difficulty when thinking up a species name, but decided upon Scorch, as it shows the fire typing, with a hint of agression; previously I had named Flarelm "The Agression Pokemon" but then I decided that it didn't work. Diamond shows that agression, Pearl gives the explanation for why Flarelm doesn't spontaneously combust, and Platinum shows the darker wood, and how ash comes into play. Overall, I'm pretty sanguine with my dex submissions.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
(Continuing the tradition of Delibird bashing. Deck Knight had proposed "Pyroak is known to enjoy Kentucky Fried Delibird.")

Embirch, the Belligerent Pokemon

Diamond: EMBIRCH are often found injured after picking fights with stronger Pokemon. They can become loyal to trainers who heal them.
Pearl: Though their skirts are known to be made of ordinary leaves, EMBIRCH seem to think they provide protection.
Platinum: Nothing pleases EMBIRCH more than hiding in trees and using Delibird as target practice for their cannons.

Flarelm, the Hardened Pokemon

Diamond: They fashion armor for themselves as a rite of passage. The stronger the wood is, the more respect FLARELM gain from their peers.
Pearl: FLARELM's masks can restrict their breathing. Their cannon fire produces the smell of incense, which alleviates this problem.
Platinum: FLARELM quickly grow tired of aggression and prefer to be peaceful. If provoked enough, however, they may retaliate.

Final Submission

Embirch, the Tinder Pokemon

Diamond: EMBIRCH are keen to show off to their peers by attempting to produce impressive flames from their cannons. However, most of these attempts end in their grass skirts catching fire.
Pearl: Always striving to better themselves, EMBIRCH have a tendency to spy on others, hoping to learn something new.
Platinum: Their parents cut up grass tuft on their heads to match theirs. This helps identify them as their offspring.

Flarelm, the Torch Pokemon
Diamond: At night, they send fireballs into the air in a distinct pattern to signal their tribe. Different patterns send different messages.
Pearl: They show a great respect for nature. If they accidentally burn a tree down with their flames, they can be seen planting a seed in it's place.
Platinum: As a right of passage into adulthood, they carefully craft their wooden armor. If the armor doesn't crack or burn, the craftsman of that armor is considered an adult of their tribe.

I feel like I went kinda all over the place with this one. :T Better than nothing though! Hope you don't mind me using your species name for Flarelm Quanyails!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Right, this been open far longer than the original 60 hours I intended. I'll give this another day to see if we get some more options out there! Be as fun or as interesting as you like. Honestly, the ones we have already are very good but I would always like more options!

I especially like the species names people are giving. They are all top notch... get it? I'll put down a tentative 24 hour warning on this! If someone contacts me asking for a little more time I can probably extend it by a day max.

Final Submission
If its even legal...
Embirch, the Hostility Pokemon
Diamond: EMBIRCH hide in leaves until prey walks by. Then, the EMBIRCH throws itself at its target.
Pearl: When EMBIRCH sneeze, fire blows out the EMBIRCH's nose. Some forest fires have been started this way.
Platinum: The tails of an EMBIRCH are razor-sharp. EMBIRCH often play-duel with these tails.

Flarelm, the Burnt Pokemon
Diamond: In the dark, FLARELM appear no different from other trees, but they flee from thunderstorms.
Pearl: FLARELM headbutt each other to get mates. Despite the hardness of their heads, they never receive brain damage.
Platinum: The FLARELM with authority in the pack use their tails to signal other FLARELM of their commands.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Embirch: The Ignition Pokémon

Pokédex Entries:

Diamond: Sparks fly spontaneously out of its arm cannons. It will stamp out any sparks that linger on the ground.

Pearl: It fashions a skirt out of fallen leaves and takes great care not to let it catch on fire.

Platinum: When two EMBIRCH battle at night, it is said that their sparks can light up an entire forest.​

Flarelm: The Forest Fire Pokémon

Pokédex Entries:

Diamond: They do not care about nature one bit. Most forest fires are caused by their carelessness.

Pearl: It is said that two FLARELM will settle a dispute by running at each other to bash their heads together at full speed.

Platinum: FLARELM are known to burn down trees on a whim. They feel no remorse for their misdeeds.​

For Embirch, I wanted to to some adorable things. You can tell that they have pride from their leaf skirts (Pearl). I also liked the idea that its log limbs light on fire at random intervals (Diamond). Even though it is headstrong (Platinum), it still wants to do what's best for the forest, so it stamps out the sparks.

This leads well into Flarelm, which I wanted to convey in an angsty manner. It obviously looks very powerful, and has the ability to do great things. That's where I developed the idea that it was the cause of natural forest first (Diamond), and that's largely because of their apathy as an "teen" (Platinum). They get Rock Head at this point too, so I felt that them bashing heads for territoriality was important (Pearl).

If you read the Pyroak entries, I desired to lead into those a bit as well. Once it evolves from Flarelm, it obviously chills out a bit more (Dex Entry #1), but it still engages in combat (Dex Entry #3). However, it's become a lot more wise, and doesn't go around burning down things needlessly. In that sense, it has matured.

I'm open to feedback if you have any!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Right, guys you have 24 hours from now! If you want to submit get it done!

I will be closing this pretty much when I get back tomorrow, which will probably be a little earlier than this post. Then the poll will be going up too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)