1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Emerald Battle Frontier Strategies

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by The Cicada, Sep 2, 2010.

?

Do my strategies work for you?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

66.7%
  3. Some do and some don't

11.1%
  1. The Cicada

The Cicada

Ok everybody i am about to let you in on some great strategies to use in the Battle Frontier. Every strategy i list is going to be a strategy that i always use in that facillity. Lets start with the Battle Dome

BATTLE DOME:
    Ok so the Battle Dome,i find this one to be the easiest of all.The Strategy behind this is:

Step 1: Put two fast and powerful Explosion users on your team.The Explosion users i use are Metagross and Claydol.

Step 2: Put a back up Pokemon on your team.This pokemon should be able to take on almost any Pokemon if it is 1 on 1 vs the opposing Pokemon. I use Slaking for this spot.

Step 3: When you get in your Battles in the Dome here is how should play your battles: Bring out one of your Exploders,then Explode,send out you next Explosioner,then Explode. After that you won the battle,but if you had to keep oe of your Exploders out of Battle and brought in your Back up instead this how you should play your battle: send out one of your Exploders,then Explode,next send out your back up and demolish the opposing Pokemon,after that the battle is won.

Thats about all i have to say for the battle dome,now let's move on the Battle Arena:

Battle Arena:
    Ok the Battle Arena,not as easy as the Dome but we can manage it. What i do is try to take advantage of the facality's rules,you will see how soon.

Step 1: Make sure your lead is a Pokemon who can use the moves Fake Out,Protect,Dig/Fly/Dive and Explosion/Selfdestruct,and make sure it is fast.I always use Shiftry for this job,but Smeargle does it well too.

Step 2: Your second Pokemon should be able to use the moves Fake Out Protect,Dig/Fly/Dive. I use Persian for this job seeing as it was the fastest pokemon for the job.

Step 3: Your last pokemon should be one that,if you didnt already win from your first two pokemon,that this one can take down whatever stopped you. I use Slaking for this job,and sometimes i use Starmie instead.

Step 4: This Step will show how to play your battles. When you first send out you lead Pokemon you start of by using Fake Out,Next you use Protect,then Dig/Fly/Dive.After this the judges will decide the winner,you will win 2 out of 3 categoryies on the judge chart 98.78% of the time.

Step 5: After you take win against the opposing lead in a Judge's choice the opponent sends out their next pokemon.As long as it isnt a ghost all you have to do is automatically use Explode and they are down to ther Last Pokemon. Once you send out your second Pokemon and they send out their last this is what you should do: Use Fake Out,next use Protect,and finally use Dig/Fly/Dive,after that you won the battle.

Now that we finishedd the Arena we will move on to the Battle Pyramid.

Battle Pyramid:

The Battle Pyramid,known to be the hardest facillity,but if you follow my steps it isn't so hard at all.

Step 1: On your first challenge try to get as many items as possible. The way i do this is by bringing a pokemon with the abillity Pick Up with you,battle as many wild Pokemon and Trainers as possible,and search the whole floor for items till there is either o more or you are forced to leave that floor for whatever reason. Be sure to keep checking your Pick Up pokemon for items after every battle. The Pick Up Pokemon i always use is Linoone cause its the only one that can do anything if forced into battle,but try not to send it out in battle if you don't have to because it cant do much. I am currently on the 11th challenge(the one afer you get the gold symbol) and here is what my Bag looks like:
    Hyper Potion 24x
    Ether 16x
    Lum Berry 15x
    Bright Powder2x
    Scope Lens 1x
    Full Restore 4x
    Leftovers 1x
    Max Elixer 1x

Step 2: If you follow the above step and complete your first challenge your bag should have alot of items in it.On your second challenge you won't be able to make room in your team for a Pick Up Pokemon,but you should still search for items atleast on the firrst or first two floors.

Step 3: Make sure that you have ateast one Pokemon with an Advantage of the round you are in,for Example on rond 3 there are pokemon that want to burn you so a Pokemon with the Abillity Guts or Natural Cure can be good,and a Pokemon immune to WiL-O-Wisp can be good as well,and also a Pokemon with the move Heal Bell/Aromatherapy can be helpful in almost any round. There are lots more ways to Adapt to the situation,but you get te idea.

Now that we finished the Dome it is time to go to the Tower.

Battle Tower:

Note that this is the last one i will do.

Ok the battle Tower,possibl one of the hardest Facillity's there is,lets get started then.

Step 1: When i am in the Battlow Tower i like to have 2 Pokemon with the move Explosion on my team,and 1 Slaking.

Step 2: This step will teach you about the game plan behind this. Ok so the plan is to Explode on the opponents first two Pokemon and force them into fighting 1 on 1 with a Slaking which is never pretty. Let me show you exactly how you should play it: You send out your first pokemon, opponet does so too,you Explode,next your second mon vs theres,you Explode now it is your opponets last mon vs the tyrant known as Slaking.Slaking uses Return,opponent faints,you win! Not that Slaking should use a Lonely Nature and Fire blast for Skarmory and Fortress.

Step 3: This step will teach you the standard way to win. Ok so the standard way to win is get good battling pokemon with good synergy. Here is a sample team i will use to show you what i mean:

Metagross@Lum Berry
    Adamant
    Evs 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Hp
    -Agillity
    -Meteor Mash
    -Shadow Ball
    -Earthquake

Heracross@Scope Lens/Choice Band
    Jolly,Guts
    Evs 252 Atk 212 Spe 44 Hp
    -Megahorn
    -Brick Break
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Swampert@Leftovers/Chesto Breey
    Sassy
    252 Hp 212 spD 44 Atk
    -Earthquake
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Endeavor/Toxic/Rest

As you can see almost all weaknesses are covered,Metagross's Ground and fire are coverd by Heracross and Swampert.Heracross Psychic and Flying weakness are covered by Metagross and Swamperts Grass weakness is covered by both Hera and Metagross. And this pokemon can also fght back hard as well.

Posting this thread took a lot out of my energy so i hope i hepled you all. Please leave comment,rate,or hate!

Edit:Here are my Recirds for each Facillity.

Battle dome single Clear streake: 46
    Battle Tower Single Clear streake: 91
    Battle Pyramid Floors Cleared: 78
    Battle Arena KOS in a row: 120
    Battle Pike Rooms Cleared: 57
    Battle Factory Win Streak: 35
    Battle Palace Win streak: 31

2. Xtremeperson

Xtremeperson

Jumpluff's classic battle tower team also works wonders.

Salamence @ Choice Band
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Adamant/Jolly
    -Earthquake
    -Aerial Ace
    -Rock Slide
    -Fire Blast/Brick Break

Takes most teams out, your main attacker most of the time.

Suicune @ Chesto Berry
    252 Def/252 HP/4 Spd
    Bold
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam/Icy Wind (Icy Wind can be useful to slow down threats for your teammates)
    -Calm Mind
    -Rest

Pretty hard to kill for most physical attackers, you can set up on them and walk all over them with a couple Calm Minds. Covers Mence's ice weakness, and rests off status.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Spread includes allocations of EVs into HP, Atk, and Sp. Def, based on preference. The one I used was 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Sp. Def but there may be better.
    Adamant/Careful
    Thick Fat
    -Body Slam (paralyzes)
    -Earthquake/Shadow Ball (Shadow Ball for Gengar, Earthquake for most steels and rocks who would otherwise laugh at you)
    -Curse
    -Rest

Difficult for special attackers to take you out, and can set up and recover. Covers Mence's ice weakness and Suicune's special weaknesses. In general hard to kill after a couple curses.

This team has trouble with OHKO attacks from guys like Walrein... but who doesn't lol.
  3. CBshuckle

CBshuckle

First the problem with set-up sweepers I see is that they are so prone to critical hits and OHKO moves that eventually you will get haxed to death, and usually it doesn't take too long.

Second, TC for your advice about the pyramid the only problem is that for some reason the frontier automatically ends your streaks for some reason if you enter different pokemon, so I have no idea how you could have gotten that far with a linoone.

Finally, TC can you post your records for all the facilities?
  4. BlocksRcool

BlocksRcool

Battle Tower isn't that hard, the Battle Factory is worse... After spending sooo much time on the battle factory and none on the others, i'm currently grabbing all my silver symbols =/ I STILL DONT FREAKING HAVE A GOLD SYMBOL FOR THE BATTLE FACTORY. Also, Latias/Latios are good for everything except MAYBE battle arena. Perhaps list some overall pokemon that are good for all of the buildings? (like lock-on sheer cold smeargle).
  5. Örly

Örly

I think you have no idea what you are talking about. Endeavor on Swampert? Battle Tower is exceedingly similar to DPP Battle Tower because you have the move Trick. You are just going to get raped because they will get exceedingly lucky and hax you to death. I don't even think you made specialized spreads; you are just typing up bullshit just so you can "contribute." I would rather have someone who actually has a lot of knowledge write up a guide (if at all).

Look at C&C. I see you posting sets every day. You are just hoping you can have your name up. You don't even bother to reliably test or check anything.
  6. The Cicada

The Cicada

I dont know what you mean by the frontier automatically ends your streak if you enter different pokemon,it doesn't happen to me. And sure i will post my records.

@BlockRcool: Sure i coud post good pokemon for each facillity,but only the ones i have in my post.
  7. CBshuckle

CBshuckle

I'm pretty certain that in emerald you must stick with the same exact 3-4 pokemon for the streak to continue; if you enter different pokemon, it resets back to 0.

At least, that's what usually happens to me.
  8. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

In the Battle Arena why not just have Smeargle Sketch Detect?

Have it use Fake Out, Portect, Detect. Guaranteed win.
    Then use Protect, Detect, Protect. Guaranteed tie.

Unless the lead is a Ghost you're set.

Also CBShuckle you can enter seperate mons and have the streak continue. Ther are no restrictions on it.
  9. The Cicada

The Cicada

if you use Protect, then Detect, Detect has 50% fail chance just like 2 protects in a row would.

@Orly: what the hell are you talking about?
  10. Örly

Örly

You're fucking clueless. You didn't notice that there is a Battle Frontier Max Stats database in Smogon right? Yeah, that's how you make specialized spreads for the Frontier. Did you also notice that you don't even bother to see if Pokemon are reserved in C&C?

The guide itself sucks. It's poorly written and has very little detail. You should never be using Slaking in the Frontier as many Pokemon run Protect, making your efforts worthless. Your EVs are random, you have no fucking idea what you're doing. It's rather obvious. You are using bad Pokemon for the Battle Tower, giving them mindless EV spreads, and teaching them worthless and unnecessary moves.
  11. Bynine

Bynine

You can tell him how his guide can be corrected, and where he went wrong.

You don't have to be a HUGE DICK about it.
  12. Örly

Örly

Have you noticed that he does this all the time? It wouldn't be annoying if he did this once, but the fact that he does the same shit over and over every 1-3 days and doesn't learn from anything really gets annoying. I would much rather have someone who knows more about the Frontier (points at CBshuckle). Even then, there is no need for a Frontier guide if you have the Frontier max stats database.

All he wants is to become known. Here let me give you some links (they show he's clueless as well).
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2957790#post2957790
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2956105#post2956105
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2951621#post2951621
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2939242#post2939242
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2936994#post2936994
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2932556#post2932556
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2929264#post2929264
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2889916#post2889916
  13. Bynine

Bynine

Ooh, blimey.

Sorry I said that, I thought you were just insulting him for the heck of it.
  14. Örly

Örly

It's fine. I don't insult anyone unless I have a reason.
  15. CBshuckle

CBshuckle

I don't pretend to be an expert at the frontier, but those are some pretty good records. Mine are:

Battle dome single (I assume you mean battles won and not tournies won lol): 42
    Battle Tower Singles: 70
    Battle Pyramid Floors: 41
    Battle Arena KO's: 81
    Battle Pike Rooms: 192
    Battle Factory: 40
    Battle Palace: 54

Also,
    Battle Tower Doubles: 81
  16. The Cicada

The Cicada

First of all that was just a sample team that i showed for the Battle Tower, i was just showing an example of pokemon with good type coverage.

and @ your other comment, i dont see whats wrong with a Chatot update, the guy was normally suppose to update it said i could do it. The only one of those threads you are right about is the art thread,when i made that i was hoping people would insult it for my own reasons,i actually just copied and pasted it from google images.
  17. Örly

Örly

Lmao. Let me get this straight. You are telling me that you that you wanted to be insulted? And obviously, you don't know what you are doing. Did you notice that like almost all of your sets got locked? Do you know why? There are 2 reasons.

1. Other people were already doing that set (and with better move choices and EV spreads). You were too fucking stupid and lazy to actually check.

2. The other sets just plain sucked. I doubt you even took the time to actually test the set except for 10 minutes.

And at your other stupid comments, still, you should be giving them a good sample team, or give them the links to the Battle Frontier database and the EV applet made by X-Act. Then, they could do research on what Pokemon work effectively (in theory) as well as EV spreads and move sets.
  18. The Cicada

The Cicada

If i am correct,flaming other users is illegal (which you are doing right now) If you think the things i do need help with you can easily just try to politely help me instead of trying to get all over my dick about it.
  19. Örly

Örly

Do you know what the definition of flaming is? I'm not even trolling you, so how can a be flaming you? I even looked the word definition up for you.

"An online argument that becomes nasty or derisive, where insulting a party to the discussion takes precedence over the objective merits of one side or another."

Here's an example:
    "X was flaming Y over his religious beliefs."

In conclusion, flaming a person means to insult them with a lot of swear words (which I wasn't doing) and sometimes (usually?) for no reason. Therefore I am not flaming you.

@ your other argument, you are breaking rules in C&C by posting set after set and none of them are properly formatted. That is one of the reasons why they are locked in the first place.
  20. The Cicada

The Cicada

This is not C&C, this is Ever Grande City
  21. Örly

Örly

/facepalm
    You do not get it do you? It is against the rules to post sets that are not formatted correctly and/or taken by someone else. Saying, "This is not C&C." is irrelevant. It does not matter where it is, you still broke some rules.
  22. The Cicada

The Cicada

I don't exactly see how i am breaking rules by sharing my Battle Frontier strategies with everyone, it is not like i am sayiing that they are perfect and you have to try them or something, i am just sharing them with everybody so they can try if they like my strategies.
  23. Örly

Örly

You still don't get it. You said I was breaking rules by "flaming" (which I obviously wasn't), so I decided I would show how you break rules in C&C. That's all I was trying to say.
  24. The Cicada

The Cicada

Well i apreciate you trying to point that out to me, i just wish you had done it in a nicer way.
  25. KingEmpoleon

KingEmpoleon

This is actually pretty funny. *pulls out popcorn* While you two are bickering over who's flaming who, I'm going to try a different approach to the Battle Facilities, which doesn't involve Selfdestruct/Explosion.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)