Entei [QC 2/3] (I'll write up on the 23rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
too lazy to grammar check, will do it when gp.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Boasting good overall stats, Entei is a solid choice of Pokemon for when you need a Fire attacker that can take a few hits and still mantain good offense. Entei makes itself worthwhile by having respectable bulk and Sacred Fire burns, he's also useful on bulkier teams that need damage control coming from a fire type.
  • Possessing a limited but solid offensive movepool, Entei is a great attacker. Sacred Fire, Entei's signatura move, has a solid 100 BP and a 50% chance to burn, scaring away physical attackers. Other moves on his movepool are Flare Blitz, Stone Edge and Iron Head. Entei also has Extreme Speed, one of the best priority moves in the game, with +2 priority.
  • Entei is a good sun counter, being able to OHKO both Charizard-Y and Venusaur whilst taking little damage from their attacks. Adding to that, when in possession of Safety Goggles, Entei can dodge Sleep Powder and get the KO.
  • Consequently, he also loses to other things every Fire would aswell, Lando-T puts a cold stop on Entei (Albeit switching in on Sacred Fire is risky), Entei also can't touch Heatran and Diancie, and both hit him hard with Earth Power.
  • While Entei has no spread moves that allow it to hit past redirectors (bar Snarl), Sacred Fire and Stone Edge allow it to hit the 3 most common ones (Jirachi, Amoonguss and Togekiss), and with Safety Goggles, Entei can just ignore Amoonguss completely.
  • Entei's stats are nothing terrible, but nothing outstanding either. On the offensive side he has an ok 115 Attack stat, which is nothing to laugh at, but nothing out of the ordinary. On the defensive side of things, he has good 115/85/75 bulk, that allows Entei to come in a few hits, but nothing Super Effective.
  • These average stats and limited movepool are what keeps Entei out of viability, if you want a strong and fast Fire type, you first think off Talonflame, as it has an easier time dealing with Grasses and is more splashable, if you desire a Fire type that can setup Substitute and spam moves, you think of Heatran because he has a useful secondary typing. Entei does a bunch of things ok, but there are Pokemon that simply do it better.

[SET]
name: Attacker
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Protect
item: Safety Goggles
ability: Pressure
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Sacred Fire is Entei's main STAB move, giving him a power and spammable offensive option while providing a good chance of burning.
  • Stone Edge is used to hit Charizard-Y and Talonflame primarly, but can be used to hit some other things neutrally.
  • The 3rd move slot is Extreme Speed, it allows Entei to become a strong late game cleaner, with good +2 priority. This +2 priority allows him to outspeed other priority users, such as Talonflame and Bisharp.
  • Protect is a staple move in doubles, we use it to stall out field conditions, allow you to defend yourself while your partner deals with a threat, scouts for moves, among other things.

Set Details
========
  • The EV spread maximizes Entei's attack and speed, Adamant is run for the extra bits of power Entei needs, whilst Jolly is used to outspeed Kangaskhan.
  • Unfortunately Game Freak won't give us Flash Fire, so we have to stick with Pressure as our ability.
  • Safety Goggles is chosen as the item to allow Entei to ignore the effects of Powder moves, most notably Spore, Sleep Powder, and Rage Powder. This, in turn, allows Entei to be a better Sun check and an even more solid answer to Grass-types such as Breloom and Amoonguss
Usage Tips
========
  • Entei is an offensive Pokemon, and as with any other you should always be looking to attack.
  • Entei is best used to take care of specific "endeavors" that you may need done, such as burning Kangaskhan or removing Charizard-Y.
  • Entei is best used in the early game, where it can spam Sacred Fire and fish for burns. Over the course of the game, the burn damage will stack up, helping you knock out certain Pokemon.
  • Sacred Fire's burn chance help Entei get past Focus Sash users like Bisharp, Weavile and Deoxys-Attack.
  • Entei can come in on a predicted Spore or Sleep Powder and immediatly threaten the user.

Team Options
========
  • Entei is one of the few Sun counters around, so Pokemon that have trouble dealing with Sun - such as Kyurem-Black - make for great partners. Entei is also great at removing Grass types from the field, Water types that can take advantage of that and further support Entei with their moves are good partners. Notable examples are Suicune and Keldeo.
  • Entei cannot reliably deal with Heatran and Ground users, so Pokemon that can deal with those are appreciated. Noteworthy examples are Keldeo and Suicune.
  • Wide Guard users like Aegislash are appreciated, as they stop Earthquake and Rock Slide from hitting Entei.
  • Entei has a lot of trouble with Water types, having no meaningful way of damaging them. Grass and Electric types that can beat said Waters make for great partners. Thundurus and Amoonguss are good examples: Thundurus provides speed control with Thunder Wave and hits hard with Thunderbolt, it can also beat Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, while Amoonguss provides redirection and Spore.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Shuca Berry can be used to eat an Earthquake from Landorus-T and fish a burn with Sacred Fire.
  • Sitrus Berry can be used for more immediate longetivity.
  • Iron Head can be used to catch Diancie on the switch.
  • Life Orb can be used alongside Extreme Speed for extra power.
  • Snarl is a good option that allows Entei to hit through substitutes and drop the opponents SpA, making it a solid debuffer.
  • Substitute can be used to make Entei a solid cleaner, allowing him to aim for burns on threats that would KO it. When using Substitute, Leftovers is used for the passive healing.
  • A set using Psych Up and Extreme Speed can be used alongside Azumarill with Belly Drum for a +6 Entei, however because of the set's niche nature and how it plays fairly similarly to the first set it's not mentioned.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Typing Advantage**: Being a solely a fire type, Entei possesses all the weaknesses that all other normal Fire types would have. Water types such as Rotom-W, Suicune and Keldeo are a big pain for Entei, as he can't hit them reliably with his STABs and has no coverage to do so. While Entei doesnt really have a problem with Steel types, Heatran is a pain because of Flash Fire, stopping Entei from using his STAB and forcing him into Stone Edge. Most Dragon types can take a fire STAB, but will get chunked by Entei's coverage moves, such dragons are Latios and Hydreigon. Rock types also pose a big threat, while Terrakion and Diancie don't want to come in on a Sacred Fire and get burned, they can outspeed and do lots of damage to Entei with their rock stabs. Ground types are also a problem, they can OHKO Entei with Earthquake, but they risk getting burned on the switch or if outsped. Notable ground types are the Landorus formes and Rhyperior.
  • **Intimidate**: Being a physical attacker, Intimidate is detrimental to Entei's success. Notable users of intimidate are Landorus-Therian, Scrafty and Gyarados.
  • **Opposing Weather**: While Entei thrives in sun and in beating sun due to being a Fire type, in Rain it's exactly the opposite. Rain will stop you from using your STABs reliably and adding to that, most Pokemon in rain teams have an edge on fire types, making the archetype even more problematic for Entei. Notable Rain Pokemon are Politoed, Ludicolo, Kingdra and Mega Swampert.
  • **Speed**: While Entei doesnt have abysmal bulk like other Pokemon, he has just ok speed and it still cannot take a lot of hits reliably, so Pokemon that can outspeed and kill/chunk Entei are good checks for him. Notable examples are Latios, Mega Kangaskhan (Fake Out + Return), Keldeo, Terrakion and Mega Diancie.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Axe CB and get this out of WIP

Axe LO from the set that will remain, and slash Snarl behind Sub :)!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why not Sacred Fire / Snarl / Sub / Protect? Sacred Fire punishes physical attackers, Snarl punishes Special attackers, and if you get a Sub up, it's much harder to play against Entei.

Why not Sacred Fire / Snarl / Sub / Protect? Sacred Fire punishes physical attackers, Snarl punishes Special attackers, and if you get a Sub up, it's much harder to play against Entei.
I used that before to great success, but I forgot to add it :s
I'll slash Snarl over Stone Edge and make an extra bullet just for Snarl.
edit: done

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Psych Up Extreme Speed on Azu (and redirection) teams. It's the only time anyone good uses Entei on a serious team, afaik.

From SPL last year:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-41361
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-38806
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-33465
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-34901
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-32264 - games where Entei + Azu + Redirector were used together (sometimes doing something successfully)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-33476 - games where Entei on other teambuilds (in this case Vest) did absolutely nothing

Psych Up Extreme Speed on Azu (and redirection) teams. It's the only time anyone good uses Entei on a serious team, afaik.

From SPL last year:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-41361
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-38806
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-33465
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-34901
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-32264 - games where Entei + Azu + Redirector were used together (sometimes doing something successfully)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-smogondoubles-33476 - games where Entei on other teambuilds (in this case Vest) did absolutely nothing
tbh that is a rather gimmicy set that I'd like to refrain from posting here.
edit: i'll add it to other options.

Last edited:
Would a support entei be worth listing?

Arcanine and Entei have VERY similar move pools with 90/80/80 (arcanine) and 115/85/75 (entei) Entei overall however has better bulk and with Sacred Fire, Snarl, Espeed and Protect/substitute Entei can support the team with burns and snarl support from behind a sub. Not having intimidate hurts but I feel that its at least worth mentioning in OO.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Arcanine and Entei have VERY similar move pools with 90/80/80 (arcanine) and 115/85/75 (entei) Entei overall however has better bulk and with Sacred Fire, Snarl, Espeed and Protect/substitute Entei can support the team with burns and snarl support from behind a sub. Not having intimidate hurts but I feel that its at least worth mentioning in OO.
Your supporter set is already part of the main set.

Though it's kinda a mix between bulky offence and support, more on the bulky offence side.

if you can provide a bulkier spread i'd be glad to put it in OO, I however couldn't think of anything relevant.

ok i can up with one:

Entei @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 220 HP / 20 Atk / 112 Def / 48 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Snarl
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 220 HP / 48 SpD Entei: 190-225 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 220 HP / 48 SpD Entei: 340-402 (79.8 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 220 HP / 112+ Def Entei: 134-158 (31.4 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
208 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 220 HP / 112+ Def Entei: 254-302 (59.6 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

is this bulky enough?

ok i can up with one:

Entei @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 20 Atk / 112 Def / 48 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Snarl
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 220 HP / 48 SpD Entei: 190-225 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 220 HP / 48 SpD Entei: 340-402 (79.8 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 220 HP / 112+ Def Entei: 134-158 (31.4 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
208 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 220 HP / 112+ Def Entei: 254-302 (59.6 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

is this bulky enough?
Lando-T will almost never use Rock Slide vs Entei, and yes Earthquake. +2 Thundurus is not really relevant, but 252 LO is, but you already live thay with my own spread making the +2 calc more irrelevant than it already is. The only 2 relevant calcs you have are Diancie Mega and Aegis, however you already beat aegis by a mile with either Snarl or Sacred Fire (although WP fucks you over). Regarding Diancie, you already live Diamond Storm with 88 HP, which is all you need. The lack of offense really hurts Entei.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
h i qc here:

Entei @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Stone Edge

this is the set to be used for now. pls adjust this accordingly

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
h i qc here:

Entei @ Safety Goggles
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Stone Edge

Plz slash Psych Up with Stone Edge. Entei's only real advantage over Blaziken/Infernape/Victini is pairing well with Azumarill. Extreme Speed and some bulk alone really aren't enough when ESpeed is pretty weak and Fire is a shitty ass defensive typing. I even question if this set here is significantly better than Arcanine... and that's saying something.

h i qc here:

Entei @ Safety Goggles
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Stone Edge

shaian isnt that the set but without slashes and different ev spread.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
entei irl: >:3

Overview
  • remove all miscellaneous mentions of things that arent in the main set. i usually dont want to use entei for its ability to hit diancie with iron head on the switch.
  • you also dont have to mention specific numbers. people can find that out on their own very easily
  • elaborate on why entei is usually outclassed. other fire types, such as heatran, have useful secondary typing that allow it to support the rest of its team with its resistances. on the other hand, talonflame is the first choice a lot of the time because it fits well on a wider variety of teams and does a better job of beating grass types.
  • entei is one of many fire types and faces competition from them for a team slot. what does entei have that they dont? why would i want to use entei over, say, talonflame or rotom? you could say something along how entei makes itself worthwhile with its good bulk and ability to burn with sacred fire. it also fits well on bulkier teams that would appreciate damage control.
Moves
  • note stone edge's usefulness in hitting charizard, i personally do not use entei as my heatran check
  • also mention extremespeed's utility in outspeeding other priority attackers, such as talonflame
Set Details
  • slash jolly after adamant. jolly is used to outspeed most mega kangs, adamant can be used to smack things hard
  • safety goggles helps against sun by being immune to venusaur's sleep powder. it also helps by letting entei ignore amoonguss's rage powder or switch in to its spore.
Team Options
  • wide guard users, such as aegislash, are also appreciated by entei in order to let its stand its ground against landorus by evading stuff like earthquake and rock slide
  • grass types like serperior and ferrothorn are also useful to entei by their ability to check diancie, which straight up counters entei.
Other Options
  • remove assault vest. a pokemon like entei thats weak to so much common stuff has no business foregoing protect.
Checks & Counters
  • bulldoze? why are you mentioning bulldoze. please remove mentions of bulldoze.

1/3

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey there sorry this has taken so long to get a second check, but never fear, thetalkingtree is here! :O

Overview
  • Specify that Entei not only OHKOs Char-Y and Venu but also takes little damage from their attacks (although I guess it's technically 2HKO'd by Venusaur's Sludge Bomb, they'll usually click Sleep Powder and you KO through Sash with Sacred Fire)
  • Entei may be susceptible to redirection but Sacred Fire + Stone Edge hits the three most viable redirectors (Rachi, Toge, Amoon) supereffectively and they don't do much back. Also, you have Goggles so Amoon literally can't do anything. I'd probably get rid of the whole point.
Set
  • If you could put a space after the "4HP" thing in the EV spread I'd be able to sleep easier at night I know GP would catch it but what can I say I like things to be neat
Moves
  • In the Sacred Fire point, mention that the burn chance can allow Entei to get around any focus sash users like Bisharp, Weavile, and Venusaur, giving it another niche over the slightly more powerful Flare Blitz.
  • Snarl should be mentioned after ESpeed as a possible option for the third move should Entei's team already have enough priority attacks and need nice access support help against substitute users such as Heatran or Kyu-B. No need to slash it on the set though.
Set Details
  • When you write up, don't include the thing about GameFreak - just say that Flash Fire is unreleased
  • That sentence about goggles is really confusing wow. Reword to something like this: "Safety Goggles is chosen as the item to allow Entei to ignore the effects of Powder moves, most notably Spore, Sleep Powder, and Rage Powder. This, in turn, allows Entei to be a better Sun check and an even more solid answer to Grass-types such as Breloom and Amoonguss"
Usage Tips
  • The second bullet point is worded like Entei is used to burn Char Y - specify that you're trying to burn Kang and remove Char Y
  • Since this isn't a Nuzlocke, burns don't help you kill threats, it helps you knock them out
  • Mention that Entei can be used to switch in on a predicted Spore or Sleep Powder and immediately threaten the user of the move
Team Options
  • I guess this isn't important since you're about to write it up, but Wide Guard users should be the start of a new bullet point
  • Ditto with things to help against bulky Waters
  • This section's kind of a mess spelling and punctuation-wise. GP can handle most of it but if you wouldn't mind working on it a little bit before, that would really help them out.
Other Options
  • Remove the mention of Diancie in the Shuca section, since it would just use Diamond Storm anyway. Also, it's not risking a burn, Entei is fishing for one. The opp would be the one risking a burn.
  • Remove the mention of Snarl since it's being moved to the Moves section
  • Substitute doesn't really make Entei a spammer, it turns it into a cleaner, and allows it to aim for burns on threats that would otherwise outright KO it. Also, Substitutes can be more easily reset once the threat on the opponent's team is burned. Mention that Leftovers or maybe Shuca Berry should be used in conjunction with Substitute.
  • Remove the part about choosing not to put the Psych Up set in the analysis - it's not included because it plays fairly similarly to the first set and because it's a niche option, but that doesn't need to be specified. Feel free to mention that it is a niche option, but gimmicky feels a little harsh
Checks and Counters
  • Entei doesn't "boast" weaknesses, it possesses or suffers from them. Also, Kyub has a chance to get 2HKO'd by Sacred Fire if the first one burns so remove that mention. Terrak and Diancie don't really want to come in on a Sacred Fire because they'd be risking a burn, but they do threaten out Entei as they outspeed and do lots of damage. Mention Rhyperior in addition to the two Landorus formes as a ground-type example
  • Get rid of the (duh) next to Politoed - it's a little too casual.
General note on the whole analysis: Entei isn't a him, it's an it - Entei is Genderless :/ Also, any time that you talk about clicking a move you should say "Entei cannot use its STABs as effectively" instead of something like "You cannot use Entei's STABs as effectively". Just some things to keep in mind for while you're writing this up.

Once you have all that^ implemented, take QC 2/3 and write this up!

EDIT: Wow that image was a lot bigger than I thought lol

Set
If you could put a space after the "4HP" thing in the EV spread I'd be able to sleep easier at night I know GP would catch it but what can I say I like things to be neat

Moves
In the Sacred Fire point, mention that the burn chance can allow Entei to get around any focus sash users like Bisharp, Weavile, and Venusaur, giving it another niche over the slightly more powerful Flare Blitz.
done, will write up this weekend, I'm busy all week.
left the /4 HP until GP sees it so you wont sleep at night :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)