Pokémon Entei

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
So got top 15 with Entei

He's a coinflip to where he's amazing or complete shit, but when the coin flips go in your favor, he is absolutely OU material.

Used Band with SF/Bulldoze/SE/ESpeed

Sacred Fire keeps Entei consistent the whole game, and ESpeed makes him a win condition late game. He's amazing vs Pinsir teams especially, which is great considering Pinsir is (at least IMO) the best Mega at the moment, since he does a fuckton with ESpeed to clean him up lategame after rocks + some damage, and Pinsir can't even get in with Entei around.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Ye the burn rate

I can see how those 2 things I said would be very conflicting

That's because they are and I shouldn't be posting while tired as hell

What I probably meant was that Entei is never useless. Sacred Fire is a safe move any time during the game pretty much, and Espeed is always good late game. You're never going to be like "shit Entei isn't going to be able to do anything this game" because Sacred Fire + Espeed means he always is.

If you really dislike facing this thing get a Milotic. Marvel Scale means it loves a Sacred Fire, all of Entei's attacks fail to even 4HKO 248/252+ def Milotic before a boost or Leftovers recovery. Also Milotic has access to Recover and Scald which mercilessly 2HKOs any Entei which isn't running special bulk (although I can see Assault Vest Entei becoming a thing in retaliation). Milotic is also just a damn good thing to have on most teams as it provides a lovely bulky water to soak up stray hits you don't really have a safe switchin for.

TL;DR Pretty water snake murders fire lion no matter how sacred his fire

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, echoing UltiMario; I've been using a Entei + Charizard X team where Entei wears down Zard's counters for a sweep.

I've had games where I've hit Sacred Fire twice and burned twice and it's ultimately decided those games. Likewise I've had games where I've got off multiple Sacred Fires and not burnt once. Such is luck but even without the burn, CB Sacred Fire is a fearsome attack. It also gives you a bit of a buffer in 1-on-1 encounters if you're feeling gutsy. I've faced down 100% Mamoswine knowing that SF maxes out at 96% but threw it out anyway because 50% of the time I'll burn him, survive the weakened Earthquake and win that exchange. Similar deal against Tyranitar etc.

I've also been pleasantly surprised with Entei's bulk; I run max Atk, enough Speed to outrun Jolly Mamoswine and lump the rest into Def. Adamant Talonflame Brave Bird does as little as 44% and max Atk Mega Luke Adaptability Close Combat never OHKO's.

I've been using Entei (Hasty 252 speed 252 spA 4 attack) with Sacred Fire, Bulldoze, HP ice and Substitute. I really like the set. Sacred fire+substitute combo is soooooooo good.

I've been using Entei (Hasty 252 speed 252 spA 4 attack) with Sacred Fire, Bulldoze, HP ice and Substitute. I really like the set. Sacred fire+substitute combo is soooooooo good.
Sacred Fire and bulldoze are both physical moves. Investing in SpA. is only beneficial for hidden power ice.

Yeah, echoing UltiMario; I've been using a Entei + Charizard X team where Entei wears down Zard's counters for a sweep.
I've been doing this as well. I didn't even steal the idea from anyone, I just thought of it on my own. It actually worked much better then I expected.

The big flaw is awful stealth rock weakness the pair carry, so the survival of your spinner/fogger could easily make or break a game. But besides that, I've found that the duo doesn't need much support.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
One way to deal with Entei is taking advantage of the fact its most important moves have 8 PP each so you can try to Pressure stall it with pokemon such as Zapdos, Kyurem and Deoxys-D.
An Entei running out of Sacred Fire PP is essentially worthless for the rest of the match, since Extremespeed isn't that strong and its coverage moves are more or less complete trash.

got to 2.5k pretty quickly on a alt, lots of games hinge on the bulldoze/heatran prediction. I believe its fringe ou worthy at least.

One way to deal with Entei is taking advantage of the fact its most important moves have 8 PP each so you can try to Pressure stall it with pokemon such as Zapdos, Kyurem and Deoxys-D.
An Entei running out of Sacred Fire PP is essentially worthless for the rest of the match, since Extremespeed isn't that strong and its coverage moves are more or less complete trash.
On the otherhand, all three pokemon you mentioned aren't immune to burn, and Kyurem especially won't like being burned by it.

Status absorbers and clerics are probably your best answers. Then you could worry less about the burn chance.

been using entei for quite a while, so yeah. sacred fire is fucking gay, burns most of entei's common switchins. the AV set (i run 252atk/252spdef adamant for extremespeed) is pretty good, bulldoze still does a fuckton to heatran even without cb and not many things really enjoy running into sacred fire. fucks over skarmory, talonflame (extremespeed), and a bunch of special attackers. the main draw is really espeed + sacred. it's a good special tank that has a 45% chance of shitting over his switchins with sacred fire burns (and even if they don't burn, sacred fire still hits like a truck).

burning stuff has never been this addictive before. also, a revenge killer that can out-revenge talonflame is something that's really rare, and well appreciated. if this thing doesn't make ou, i'm expecting a pretty solid uu, at least. pair it with good wishpassers (sylveon's pretty decent at it imo) and you've got a good pair.

2nd account, now over 2700 this time.

CB Entei is a beast

Sacred Fire so good
Seconding this people really aren't ready for Entei and he ends up just crippleing so much with burn and the massive damage since with Adamant he actually has more attack than Jolly Chomp with Espeed to fall back on.

I'm running assault vest entei with
88 HP
168+ attack
252 speed

Now so far, this has been working out great, but I find my entei unable to take even burned hits very well, and suffering a bit more from special attacks then I'd like.

Any alternate ev spreads I can try? Not at all open to choice band, I think it limits entei, as he should be able to attack predicted switches

Is that Jolly or Adamant? You're over investing in speed because Entei is best used to threaten switches and hit and run, making speed less relevant. He also has Bulldoze and ESpeed to compensate for this on top of that. You need Adamant to even use ESpeed, so max Attack is a good idea, and I think you only need 8 Spd to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and other 4 Spd base 100s. Otherwise shoot to beat Jolly Gyarados at base 81.

Is that Jolly or Adamant? You're over investing in speed because Entei is best used to threaten switches and hit and run, making speed less relevant. He also has Bulldoze and ESpeed to compensate for this on top of that. You need Adamant to even use ESpeed, so max Attack is a good idea, and I think you only need 8 Spd to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and other 4 Spd base 100s. Otherwise shoot to beat Jolly Gyarados at base 81.
That seems excellent, and I don't bother trying to outspeed a gyarados, I only bother attacking if they're being switched in on me.

So, 8 speed for jolly t tar...

Do you suggest I invest the rest in HP and sp def in some kind of clever way? (of course, I would boost attack to 252+ instead of 168+)

I've been using a Choice Band Entei with Sacred Fire, Extreme Speed, Bulldoze, and Stone Edge. So far in four games I've only used Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed (haven't seen any Heatrans yet...) and I think Bulldoze is a must. However would Flare Blitz be viable over Stone Edge? There are those times when Entei would like to muscle through some things or do decent damage without missing so I think Flare Blitz could still be useful there, although it obviously wouldn't be your first choice move to spam.

On the otherhand, all three pokemon you mentioned aren't immune to burn, and Kyurem especially won't like being burned by it.

Status absorbers and clerics are probably your best answers. Then you could worry less about the burn chance.
Moltres has both Pressure and burn immunity, and it's not all that bad of a pokemon outside of countering Entei (despite many people's reactions to "zomgtakeshalfhealthfromstealthrock!!1!"). You have to be really careful for stone edge though. Though, if Entei is slower or choice banded and you switch into Sacred Fire, you can stall out the set pretty easily using SubRoost because Stone Edge also only has 4 uses against a pressure Moltres.
I've been using a Choice Band Entei with Sacred Fire, Extreme Speed, Bulldoze, and Stone Edge. So far in four games I've only used Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed (haven't seen any Heatrans yet...) and I think Bulldoze is a must. However would Flare Blitz be viable over Stone Edge? There are those times when Entei would like to muscle through some things or do decent damage without missing so I think Flare Blitz could still be useful there, although it obviously wouldn't be your first choice move to spam.
I think Stone Edge is a lot more useful for hitting fire types besides heatran. Like Talonflame, Mega Charizard, Volcarona, toaster Rotom, and so on. They tend to think they can switch in because fire types are immune to burn.

Will be funny if he gets to ubers for getting ONE move.It might be metagame changing every team would need to have a status absorber or a fire type tp counter his burn if he becomes really popular.

Last edited:
Will be funny if he gets to ubers for getting ONE move.It might be metagame changing every team would need to have a status absorber or a fire type tp counter his burn if he becomes really popular.
Don't see a chance of that happening. Even with Adamant and max Atk investment I find that Entei isn't really all that strong (more on that...), but its power comes from the difficulty of switching into it.

Entei works best as an early game 'mon, and even though I've found that he's largely incapable of netting OHKOes and sometimes even 2HKOes, he's still such a good Pokemon because he whittles down everything. Its bulk has also been a pleasant surprise, so while I'm perfectly ok with him going down relatively early, it's not always suicide mission for Entei. Also, despite needing to run four attacks for just about every set, Entei's a support Pokemon above all else.

He's a threat, just a different kind of threat than what we're normally used to seeing. You need a well constructed team to make Entei work, because whittling down opposition is meaningless if you don't have anyone to clean up the pieces; Entei isn't a good sweeper and largely not a good option if you want to break down walls. CB Entei also needs a lot of support clearing hazards because it can't do its job effectively when he's taking unnecessary damage, seeing as Entei's bulk is one of its strengths. I find that defensive cores that run Aromatherapy/Heal Bell does a fairy good job of keeping it at bay, then you just PP stall Sacred Fire and Stone Edge and he isn't that bad at all. If used properly, though, your opposition should be left with a couple burns or more and half health defensive 'mons. This is more than you can ask for out of it since this is all Mega Pinsir/Megazard X/etc need to sweep. Using it properly is easier said than done though, since you absolutely have to know what you're doing or else Entei just won't work.

I'd just like to say, though, is that all of this is incredibly wacky to me. What planet is this where the whipping boy for legendaries is now a top OU threat and Salamence is seeing UU usage because he's outclassed by Dragonite and Charizard?!! Ah well, I guess it's the same one where Kangaskhan was everyone's worst nightmare and its best counter was a 380 BST 'mon... not that all of this is a bad thing though. Maybe it's just me but the meta feels fairly balanced atm.

That seems excellent, and I don't bother trying to outspeed a gyarados, I only bother attacking if they're being switched in on me.

So, 8 speed for jolly t tar...

Do you suggest I invest the rest in HP and sp def in some kind of clever way? (of course, I would boost attack to 252+ instead of 168+)
Entei's HP is pretty good already, so it's probably more beneficial to put a particular amount into SpD to survive a particular hit or two of your choice and the rest into regular Df or HP, but at least enough HP to change the amount of switch ins with Stealth Rock you can do.

Don't see a chance of that happening. Even with Adamant and max Atk investment I find that Entei isn't really all that strong (more on that...), but its power comes from the difficulty of switching into it.

Entei works best as an early game 'mon, and even though I've found that he's largely incapable of netting OHKOes and sometimes even 2HKOes, he's still such a good Pokemon because he whittles down everything. Its bulk has also been a pleasant surprise, so while I'm perfectly ok with him going down relatively early, it's not always suicide mission for Entei. Also, despite needing to run four attacks for just about every set, Entei's a support Pokemon above all else.

He's a threat, just a different kind of threat than what we're normally used to seeing. You need a well constructed team to make Entei work, because whittling down opposition is meaningless if you don't have anyone to clean up the pieces; Entei isn't a good sweeper and largely not a good option if you want to break down walls. CB Entei also needs a lot of support clearing hazards because it can't do its job effectively when he's taking unnecessary damage, seeing as Entei's bulk is one of its strengths. I find that defensive cores that run Aromatherapy/Heal Bell does a fairy good job of keeping it at bay, then you just PP stall Sacred Fire and Stone Edge and he isn't that bad at all. If used properly, though, your opposition should be left with a couple burns or more and half health defensive 'mons. This is more than you can ask for out of it since this is all Mega Pinsir/Megazard X/etc need to sweep. Using it properly is easier said than done though, since you absolutely have to know what you're doing or else Entei just won't work.

I'd just like to say, though, is that all of this is incredibly wacky to me. What planet is this where the whipping boy for legendaries is now a top OU threat and Salamence is seeing UU usage because he's outclassed by Dragonite and Charizard?!! Ah well, I guess it's the same one where Kangaskhan was everyone's worst nightmare and its best counter was a 380 BST 'mon... not that all of this is a bad thing though. Maybe it's just me but the meta feels fairly balanced atm.
I dunno, i found i can throw Entei out at pretty much anytime once i get him in and he will do work. ALOT of work. I run Band (obviously, whats it Band and Vest are the viable sets?) and depending on when i got him in is what move i'd lock into. Early game, obviously Sacred Fire, watch the burns fly and HP dwindle away. Sweep Late game with Something else (With that Damage, i find Mega Manectric and Genesect can bot sweep efficiently on the Volt Turn team i run.) late game...well as i said its a volt turn team. the opposition has take some serious damage, and a Choiced Adamant ESpeed has more power than i thought it would. of course if theres no risk of being outsped Sacred Fire is superior. i dunno he seems extremely versatile, i've seen few mons able to do as much with the same set. it can dent walls (And slowly break them given its hit and run style) cripple every physical sweeper not named Talonflame or MegaZard and clean up late game. i dunno he's my favourite mon to use this gen.

WHipping boy for Legendaries...huh always thought that would be Articuno, at least Entei got RU last time out. But the fact that CHarizard, Pinsir and Mawile are top tier threats and Kangaskhan was considered broken is pretty creepy. its like some sort of parallel universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)