Inactive EonTimer / ZomgTimer

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i've been having this problem for so long now, it seems that when im using pikatimer to rng and try to hit a certain delay, at first im way off and i have to update but that is ok, the problem is it seems that i usually hit delays around the delay i need and im able to verify that from the adjacent results but it seems that when i actually hit the right delay i end up on a totally different seed, and when i try to search the adjacent results viz the roamer method i get this message "no match was found for your roaming pokemon" , note that the roamers are raikou, entei and latios, raikou and entei are in the right route but latios is always on a different route than it should be according to the data from rng and that is why i get that annoying message :S

all in all, can somebody please help me understand why when i hit the right delay i end up on a different seed :S why cant i get the right seed when i actually hit the right delay.
Well.. I'd answer, but I don't have time right now. This thread is really only for questions/comments about this particular timer program. Any general RNG questions should go here.

So I get the target frame and second, and using the update function makes the calibrated frame change, so that's fine. Should I be adjusting the calibrated second, too?

(I'm looking for something on frame 1060, second 23. I assume these never change. I start with 595 in calibrated frame, and 23 in calibrated second. I get results in the 1000ish region, which I put into update, and the calibrated frame changes. But these results are on second 24 or 25. Should I change calibrated second to these? And do I do that first, before updating the frame?)

Thanks.

Oh, and how does 3rd gen cart work with this? I've been searching for coin flips and I'm getting inconsistent results with odd/even frames.
~Uiru

Toast++

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So I get the target frame and second, and using the update function makes the calibrated frame change, so that's fine. Should I be adjusting the calibrated second, too?

(I'm looking for something on frame 1060, second 23. I assume these never change. I start with 595 in calibrated frame, and 23 in calibrated second. I get results in the 1000ish region, which I put into update, and the calibrated frame changes. But these results are on second 24 or 25. Should I change calibrated second to these? And do I do that first, before updating the frame?)

Thanks.

Oh, and how does 3rd gen cart work with this? I've been searching for coin flips and I'm getting inconsistent results with odd/even frames.
~Uiru
Well.. you'd be better off asking these questions on the RNG help thread, but this question confuses me in general. I'm going to assume by "frame," you mean delay. Your calibrated second is way too high. It should be about 14~15. Keep in mind your "minutes before." That's probably why you keep reading that you hit the wrong second. I can't explain the 3rd gen game thing at all, sorry.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To shed some light on the dual slot, it has been known to change the delay from odd to even (or vice versa) if a game is inserted, then change back when the game is removed. However, I have not experienced this myself. Every once in a while when I'm going for a frame, I'll encounter an odd frame when I typically hit even, but I don't know why this happens. All of this has been addressed in the research thread and in the on-site articles regarding RNG abuse.

ToastPlusOne, I have a suggestion to keep some consistency between your timers. I've been using the timer for Emerald lately and I noticed that when I enter the "actual" frame to calibrate for time, the offset is in milliseconds (it took me a while to figure out why the number was sometimes so big). You obviously know this, but may I suggest mark it as milliseconds or even just changing it to frames to make it more consistent with the 4th gen display? BTW, the timer works just as well for Emerald as it does for the DS games, keep up the good work!

Toast++

ToastPlusOne, I have a suggestion to keep some consistency between your timers. I've been using the timer for Emerald lately and I noticed that when I enter the "actual" frame to calibrate for time, the offset is in milliseconds (it took me a while to figure out why the number was sometimes so big). You obviously know this, but may I suggest mark it as milliseconds or even just changing it to frames to make it more consistent with the 4th gen display? BTW, the timer works just as well for Emerald as it does for the DS games, keep up the good work!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can do anything about that when I update with another setting that appears on the new C# timer. I'm glad to hear the Emerald timer works well too.

Well.. you'd be better off asking these questions on the RNG help thread, but this question confuses me in general. I'm going to assume by "frame," you mean delay. Your calibrated second is way too high. It should be about 14~15. Keep in mind your "minutes before." That's probably why you keep reading that you hit the wrong second. I can't explain the 3rd gen game thing at all, sorry.
23 is the second I get in Platinum if I mash through to Continue, so I'm not sure where 14-15 comes from. I've heard people getting that low in Platinum and I'm not sure how they do it, but when I use Seed Finder I get 23 seconds.

And I did mean delay, hah.
~Uiru

Toast++

23 is the second I get in Platinum if I mash through to Continue, so I'm not sure where 14-15 comes from. I've heard people getting that low in Platinum and I'm not sure how they do it, but when I use Seed Finder I get 23 seconds.

And I did mean delay, hah.
~Uiru
Discussion continue via VM as to not venture too far off topic.

This may be a dumb question but do the beeps not work in Visual mode? it would be great if I could have both on at the same time.

Toast++

This may be a dumb question but do the beeps not work in Visual mode? it would be great if I could have both on at the same time.
Correct, they don't. The reason for that is that they're very hard to line up both of them to happen simultaneously and it would vary among computers making it almost impossible to do both.

Toast++

It was HG and I was trying to hit 50 seconds, but I hit 51.

Dewott because it is like the Pokemon version of wat do.
Outside of ID/SID abuse, I've never heard of it being off like that. Either you did something wrong or your game doesn't act the same as the rest of them.

If it continues, just set the target to 49 instead.

I <3 Eon Timer, thanks so much, Toast! It's much better than Pikatimer, Imo, and it looks much more beautiful than ZOMGtimer :D

Toast++

I <3 Eon Timer, thanks so much, Toast! It's much better than Pikatimer, Imo, and it looks much more beautiful than ZOMGtimer :D
I'm glad to hear it. It's a bit easier for me to update as well. Although I made some slight modifications, the artwork came from Orugos (link on the first page). Be sure to tell them how much you like it. =)

I think the seconds thing happened to me to in Diamond.

Target was 14, but I often hit 15 or 13. In the end I stopped caring what the seconds were and just updated with delay, and after forever I still got the Wondercard Poke I was working on.

EDIT: I just found out you hit A on the continue screen at 0 (from you, ha), and I thought the journal has to load up at 0. That may have caused it I guess, though I was doing it consistently.

What's the easiest way to change my 'target seconds' value in Gen IV? It's at 52 right now, but that's like a 38 second wait for the first timer (unnecessary). After trying a few different second values, I realized that EonTimer was changing the second of the two timers every time I changed the seconds value. Why is this? The delay has not changed. I tried re-calibrating at different second values, but I wasn't hitting the adjacents like I was @ 52 seconds, because timer #2 was different.

I just want to be able to change 'target seconds' values at will. Shouldn't the "seconds" value only be linked to the first timer?

For example, I tried out '45' for my seconds value. My normal calibrated delay at 52 seconds is 610 and my calibrated seconds is 14. My target delay is 630. After changing 'target seconds' to 45, I hit a 666 delay, entered that into the Update field, and re-tried. After another run, I hit something like 600, and entered that into the Update field. I tried again, and the next attempt was at least 60+- my target.

Toast++

What's the easiest way to change my 'target seconds' value in Gen IV? It's at 52 right now, but that's like a 38 second wait for the first timer (unnecessary). After trying a few different second values, I realized that EonTimer was changing the second of the two timers every time I changed the seconds value. Why is this? The delay has not changed. I tried re-calibrating at different second values, but I wasn't hitting the adjacents like I was @ 52 seconds, because timer #2 was different.

I just want to be able to change 'target seconds' values at will. Shouldn't the "seconds" value only be linked to the first timer?

For example, I tried out '45' for my seconds value. My normal calibrated delay at 52 seconds is 610 and my calibrated seconds is 14. My target delay is 630. After changing 'target seconds' to 45, I hit a 666 delay, entered that into the Update field, and re-tried. After another run, I hit something like 600, and entered that into the Update field. I tried again, and the next attempt was at least 60+- my target.
I looked thinking that you may have found a bug that I somehow missed. But the second timer on mine doesn't change at all. I don't know if you're reading it wrong or what.

Your calibrated delay and seconds do not change no matter what your target is.

Changing the target second only changes the length of the first timer.

To your original point, if you right click in the Gen IV box, you can click suggested second which will change the target second to produce the shortest overall timer length.

Eon Timer's pretty good, but it eats up 100% of my CPU whilst a countdown's running... I wouldn't mind much, but that means my wifi can't cope and my internet connection drops. Is this just me having the wrong settings or something, or is it usual behaviour?

Toast++

Eon Timer's pretty good, but it eats up 100% of my CPU whilst a countdown's running... I wouldn't mind much, but that means my wifi can't cope and my internet connection drops. Is this just me having the wrong settings or something, or is it usual behaviour?
I've never heard of this problem or anything close to it, really. But I'll look into improving that.

As an update, I've been working on this and I think I have a fix for the issue but I haven't released it yet since I haven't got anyone to test it yet.

Thanks for addressing my question, ToastPlusOne. I think I went about this all wrong. Can you tell me how to emulate my normal routine from Pikatimer into EonTimer so I can make the switch?

The main issue I'm unsure about is where to enter my delay to compensate for the time lost in the hardware from resetting. While using PikaTimer, I entered the same value for 'calibrated delay' and 'wanted delay', to see how much on average I would need to tack onto the delay timer. Here's what I came up with:

Other Delay on SoulSilver: Wanted Delay + 45
Other Delay on Plat: Wanted Delay + 10

I always used to run SoulSilver on my DSi and Plat on my DS phat. Now that I have Pokemon Black, I've switched the two games, and am now using SS in the DS phat and Platinum in my DSi. Sorry for my ignorance, but is the configuration I did related to the hardware only or the cartridge only?

Now that I've decided to try out EonTimer, I don't know where to put my "Other Delay" before starting. Where do I add that in?

Toast++

Oh.. I think I understand what you're trying to say.

The things you mention are entirely unnecessary with Eon. All you have to do is try to hit a seed using a normal calibration (500/14 for HGSS, 600/14 for Pt). Whatever you end up hitting is what you put in the box marked "Delay Hit." I don't use the update function the same way PikaTimer did. This was one of the things I fixed first. Once you get your calibration, you keep it. There's really no reason to adjust anything before trying to hit a delay.

Your adding to the target delay method is a just a (different) solution to the problems associated with the button mashing method of calibration. You really didn't ever get a true calibration, just a number.

Sorry if that's a little confusing. I'm tired so my communication abilities suck right now.

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I've successfully RNG'd a regigigas, and will provide you with some of the data I collected, since you've been so helpful :)

Seed: bb16028a
Calibrated Delay: 600
Target Delay: 640

with Pikatimer @ 52 seconds

TTTTT|TTHTT - 644
HTHTH|THHTH - 642
HHTTH|TTTHH - 648
HTHHH|HTTHT - 636
THHHH|TTTHH - 634
THTTT|TTHTT - 640 14:50 IS THE SECOND TIMER

and with EonTimer
Target Seconds: 40

HTTTT|THTTT - 638
THTTT|TTHTT - 640 DELAY HIT AT 14:68. Two frames over target.
THTTT|TTHTT - Delay hit again. Caught the right one, this time ;)

The moral of the story here, which you obviously already know, is that the second timer's length can vary according to the target seconds. I recommend using this timer over PikaTimer for ... well, just about every reason. Use the calibrated delays given in ToastPlusOne's last post (500/14 for HGSS, 600/14 for Pt), no matter what hardware you're using. Thanks again for this great timer!

Note: I used the "Delay Hit" feature and it worked like a charm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)