Escavalier

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: dodmen / IronBullet93 / Bouffalant
GP: P Squared / The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

Escavalier finds a niche in the UnderUsed tier due to its amazing base 135 Attack, which allows it to function as an extremely effective wallbreaker. Escavalier also has good overall bulk, allowing it to take many hits in conjunction with its amazing Bug / Steel typing, which grants Escavalier eight resistances and a Poison-type immunity. Despite having those excellent resistances and immunity, Escavalier's typing leaves it weak to a very common offensive typing in Fire. Escavalier also has base 20 Speed, which is a double-edged sword. On one hand, the low Speed allows Escavalier to function as an effective Trick Room abuser. On the other hand, it makes Escavalier one of the slowest Pokemon in the UnderUsed tier.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Drill Run / Pursuit
item: Choice Band
ability: Overcoat
nature: Adamant
evs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn has a whopping 120 Base Power, while Iron Head is consistent and has no drawbacks. Knock Off gives good neutral coverage in conjunction with Escavalier's STAB attacks and allows Escavalier to remove the foe's held item. Drill Run is used to give Escavalier super effective coverage against Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types. On the other hand, Pursuit allows Escavalier to get chip damage against the various Pokemon it forces out, such as Cresselia and Abomasnow.

Set Details
========

The given Attack EVs and nature maximize Escavalier's damage output. The Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss. The remaining EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to augment Escavalier's bulk while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. A Choice Band boosts Escavalier's Attack, making it a dangerous wallbreaker. Overcoat ensures Escavalier can't be put to sleep via powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature should be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to scout for Fire-type moves commonly used by offensive Pokemon Escavalier checks, such as Hidden Power Fire on Roserade. Use Grass-, Poison-, Bug-, and Psychic-type Pokemon that cannot KO Escavalier as opportunities to switch in and punch holes in the opposing team. Escavalier will be locked into a move until it switches out, so be sure to predict well, as being locked into an unfavorable move is easily exploited.

Team Options
========

Escavalier lures in Fire-types, making Pokemon that take advantage of this, such as Suicune and Flash Fire Chandelure, good teammates. Cleaners and sweepers, such as Speed Boost Yanmega and Swords Dance Lucario, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to punch holes in the opposing team. Wallbreakers, such as Choice Specs Shaymin and Choice Band Heracross, make for good partners, as they form wallbreaking cores with Escavalier that can easily dent defensive teams. Pokemon that have a Water-type immunity, such as Dry Skin Toxicroak and Water Absorb Vaporeon, make for good teammates, as they take advantage of the bulky Water-types that attempt to burn Escavalier via Scald.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Knock Off / Facade
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Escavalier's Attack stat by two stages, making it a deadly wallbreaker. Megahorn hits extremely hard, especially after a Swords Dance boost. Iron Head is very consistent and has a flinch chance. Knock Off provides Escavalier with good neutral coverage, as well as the ability to remove the held items of opposing Pokemon. Facade can be used in the fourth moveslot to ensure Escavalier isn't shut down by burns; however, it leaves Escavalier walled by Steel-types. Despite not being listed, Substitute can be used to allow Escavalier to set up more easily.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and nature maximize Escavalier's bulk while allowing it to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon and hitting a jump point in Attack. Overcoat allows Escavalier to have an immunity to commonly used sleep-inducing powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. Leftovers gives Escavalier a form of passive recovery, making Escavalier harder to wear down. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD with a Brave nature and a 0 Speed IV can be used to underspeed Forretress and move after its Volt Switch, allowing Escavalier to get a hit off on the incoming Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to set up when facing defensive teams, but avoid doing so against offensive teams. Should Facade be chosen over Knock Off on the fourth moveslot, be sure to remove Steel-types before attempting to punch holes in the opposing team. Always scout for Fire-type attacks, as they can easily OHKO Escavalier. Escavalier beats most bulky Psychic-types one-on-one and can easily take most moves they throw at it, so be sure to use bulky Psychic-types as opportunities to switch Escavalier in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters, such as Nidoqueen and Swampert, make for good teammates, as they can make it easier for Escavalier to wallbreak. Cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Mienshao and Shell Smash Cloyster, make for good partners, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to dismantle defensive cores. Sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, appreciate Escavalier's wallbreaking capabilities, making them good teammates. Escavalier lacks a form of reliable recovery, making Wish passers, such as Florges and Alomomola, good teammates.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 4: Drill Run
item: Assault Vest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB attack that dents most Pokemon, but it has a miss chance. Iron Head is a secondary STAB attack that has a 30% flinch chance. Knock Off provides good utility, removing the held items of opposing Pokemon. Drill Run provides Escavalier with a way to hit Steel-, Fire-, and Poison-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Mega Abomasnow and Snorlax. Maximum Attack EVs are used in conjunction with an Adamant nature to augment Escavalier's Attack. The remaining EVs augment Escavalier's overall bulk while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature can be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team. An Assault Vest, in conjunction with Escavalier's natural bulk, allows Escavalier to take on various special attackers in the tier, such as Nidoqueen, Kyurem, Shaymin, and Heliolisk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Escavalier to check the various special attackers it deals with, such as non-Fire Blast Hydreigon and Nasty Plot Lucario. Escavalier is easily worn down, so be sure to keep it healthy if it is still required to check special attackers. Prediction is the key to effectively utilizing Escavalier, as it forces many switches. Escavalier can use bulky Psychic-types as opportunities to switch in, because Escavalier resists most moves they throw at it, and dent them with a STAB Megahorn.

Team Options
========

Wish passers with access to clerical moves, such as Florges and Umbreon, make for good teammates, as they can heal Escavalier with Wish as well as cure burns Escavalier might gain. Fire-types are Escavalier's biggest threats, making Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types, such as Feraligatr, Tyrantrum, and Krookodile, respectively, good partners, as they can hit Fire-types for super effective damage with their STAB attacks. Rapid Spin and Defog users, such as Forretress and Crobat, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they can remove entry hazards that wear down Escavalier. This Escavalier set is easily walled by bulky Water-types that can burn Escavalier with Scald, making Pokemon that take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Shaymin and Reuniclus, good partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Escavalier can use a RestTalk set with Swords Dance to effectively break stall, but this set is walled by various Pokemon that resist Bug-type attacks, such as Chandelure, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl. Escavalier can use Toxic to cripple opposing walls, but it doesn't fit on any set. Swarm can also be used to give a boost to Megahorn once Escavalier is weakened, as Overcoat isn't always useful.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Pokemon with Fire-type Moves**: Pokemon that commonly use Fire-type moves, such as Entei and Hidden Power Fire Roserade, can easily KO Escavalier with said moves, although they can't switch into it easily.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Suicune and Chesnaught, easily wall non-Choice Band variants of Escavalier, as they aren't 2HKOed by any move Escavalier can throw at them and can proceed to stall Escavalier out.

**Burns**: Burns easily cripple Escavalier by halving its Attack, making it setup bait for various Pokemon.

**Wallbreakers**: Wallbreakers, such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Nidoqueen, can OHKO and 2HKO Escavalier, respectively. However, Nidoqueen is unable to 2HKO Assault Vest variants of Escavalier.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
You stole this from me!!! RIP jk jk

Anyways I would say on the Overview to mention that base 20 Speed is abysmal outside of TR. Also mention in C&C that it really hates burn which wears it down even further as well as halving its Attack. Other than those initial things, it looks solid.

OK so I talked about this with IB and we both agreed that there should be a third set:

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off / Facade

With Leftovers, Escavalier can switch in way more reliably to hazards + attacks from stuff like Florges and Cress without getting worn down as much. SD turns it into a fearsome wallbreaker capable of breaking apart fat cores like Forry/Florges/Suicune. Knock Off is the primary slash since without it you're completely walled by Steels, Chand/Arcanine, and lets you have some utility against offensive teams where you won't get the chance to set up. Facade is cool though because it says fuck you to Scald. The EVs speed creep out of Attack rather than HP since you'll be doing huge damage when boosted anyway (and very conveniently hits a jump point!). This set really only belongs on balanced teams and maybe bulky offense, and should usually be paired with Wish and cleric support.

The rest of the analysis looks good. I would go ahead and slash Pursuit after Drill run on the CB variant since you can get valuable chip damage on stuff like Slowking/Cress/etc and also just get rid of Mega Bee right there. Also, Swarm should be mentioned in Other Options since Overcoat won't really come into play /too/ often. And add section in Checks and Counters for powerful wallbreakers like CB Heracross.

Edit: oh yeah, I think the set order should be CB, SD, AV

Last edited:
I think that SD set could also have a mention of Sub with a bulkier spread to have it survive Scalds (assuming they switched in against you, obviously). 248 / 176 / 84 Adamant hits an Attack jump point while still tanking Suicune's Scalds more often than not and still outspeeding base 30s, but I think you /could/ get away with running even more bulk for Vaporeon's Scalds—although it's very iffy. I used to run that on the BW2 Hail meta and it was fun af.

Also I think tehy? ran a Resttalk SD Escav (with Megahorn as its attacking move) in RU and that seemed like an interesting set. Dunno exactly what spread he used, but it seems like a nice check to the group of slow setup sweepers in the tier, smacking the three Psychic Calm Minders while beating both CroCune and CurseLax proficiently. Since I could never get around to testing it, I can't say it's worthy of a set, but it's definitely worthy of an OO mention. I remember I used SpDef RT Escav in early XY because I felt like AV Escav was too easily pressured, and it was a good catchall check to a bunch of mons, but it really didn't do much offensively, and I think RT SD gets the best of both worlds. It's obviously huge Crobat, Entei, and Chandelure bait, tho, so it might not be on par with the other sets.

EDIT: Nice grey badges o.O Jealous much Bouffalant ? :P

Kreme

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK so I talked about this with IB and we both agreed that there should be a third set:

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off / Facade

With Leftovers, Escavalier can switch in way more reliably to hazards + attacks from stuff like Florges and Cress without getting worn down as much. SD turns it into a fearsome wallbreaker capable of breaking apart fat cores like Forry/Florges/Suicune. Knock Off is the primary slash since without it you're completely walled by Steels, Chand/Arcanine, and lets you have some utility against offensive teams where you won't get the chance to set up. Facade is cool though because it says fuck you to Scald. The EVs speed creep out of Attack rather than HP since you'll be doing huge damage when boosted anyway (and very conveniently hits a jump point!). This set really only belongs on balanced teams and maybe bulky offense, and should usually be paired with Wish and cleric support.

The rest of the analysis looks good. I would go ahead and slash Pursuit after Drill run on the CB variant since you can get valuable chip damage on stuff like Slowking/Cress/etc and also just get rid of Mega Bee right there. Also, Swarm should be mentioned in Other Options since Overcoat won't really come into play /too/ often. And add section in Checks and Counters for powerful wallbreakers like CB Heracross.

Edit: oh yeah, I think the set order should be CB, SD, AV
I think that SD set could also have a mention of Sub with a bulkier spread to have it survive Scalds (assuming they switched in against you, obviously). 248 / 176 / 84 Adamant hits an Attack jump point while still tanking Suicune's Scalds more often than not and still outspeeding base 30s, but I think you /could/ get away with running even more bulk for Vaporeon's Scalds—although it's very iffy. I used to run that on the BW2 Hail meta and it was fun af.

Also I think tehy? ran a Resttalk SD Escav (with Megahorn as its attacking move) in RU and that seemed like an interesting set. Dunno exactly what spread he used, but it seems like a nice check to the group of slow setup sweepers in the tier, smacking the three Psychic Calm Minders while beating both CroCune and CurseLax proficiently. Since I could never get around to testing it, I can't say it's worthy of a set, but it's definitely worthy of an OO mention. I remember I used SpDef RT Escav in early XY because I felt like AV Escav was too easily pressured, and it was a good catchall check to a bunch of mons, but it really didn't do much offensively, and I think RT SD gets the best of both worlds. It's obviously huge Crobat, Entei, and Chandelure bait, tho, so it might not be on par with the other sets.

EDIT: Nice grey badges o.O Jealous much Bouffalant ? :P
I believe all of this is implemented.

Last thing I forgot to mention is that on the SD set, a Brave nature with 0 Speed can be used, the main purpose of which is to underspeed Forretress so it Volt Switches before you hit them with an attack. Can also be used for Trick Room. Not really all too useful but probably just deserves a quick mention in Set Details. QC 1/3 after that!

Kreme

Last thing I forgot to mention is that on the SD set, a Brave nature with 0 Speed can be used, the main purpose of which is to underspeed Forretress so it Volt Switches before you hit them with an attack. Can also be used for Trick Room. Not really all too useful but probably just deserves a quick mention in Set Details. QC 1/3 after that!
OK all this should be implemented, ready for next check.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In Usage Tips for all three sets also list bulky Psychic-types as a great opportunity for Esca to come in, and that it also makes a great check to more threatening ones like CM Reuniclus and Alakazam very well thanks to its typing and bulk.

Mention for the AV set that its typing and special bulk makes it a decent check to other special attackers too like Nidoqueen, Kyurem, and Shaymin. QC 2/3

Kreme

In Usage Tips for all three sets also list bulky Psychic-types as a great opportunity for Esca to come in, and that it also makes a great check to more threatening ones like CM Reuniclus and Alakazam very well thanks to its typing and bulk.

Mention for the AV set that its typing and special bulk makes it a decent check to other special attackers too like Nidoqueen, Kyurem, and Shaymin. QC 2/3
OK I believe I've implemented all of this, except I didn't mention Alakazam since it's OU now lol

Kreme

OK this is written up and is ready for the final QC check.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok time for me to do my QC amcheck...

In Overview, I would mention that while its typing does provide the resistances and Poison immunity like you said, it also leaves it 4x weak to Fire, a common attacking type in UU. I would also mention its ability Overcoat in Overview as well, since it avoids powder moves and Hail damage, making it an even more effective check to Abomasnow (doesn't need to be said in detail lol).

For Set Details on the SD set, I would not mention Trick Room as like you said CB outclasses it and it is hard enough to set up TR while trying to set up SD.

For Set Details on AV set, mention the 0 Speed IVs and Brave nature like you did in the previous two sets.

Other than that, it looks really good, Kreme :)

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Agree that its 4x Fire weakness should be mentioned in Overview, and that Overcoat lets it avoid powder moves and Hail damage. No need to mention Abomasnow as that's covered in the main analysis. Agree with everything else NV said as well.

Kreme

Ok time for me to do my QC amcheck...

In Overview, I would mention that while its typing does provide the resistances and Poison immunity like you said, it also leaves it 4x weak to Fire, a common attacking type in UU. I would also mention its ability Overcoat in Overview as well, since it avoids powder moves and Hail damage, making it an even more effective check to Abomasnow (doesn't need to be said in detail lol).

For Set Details on the SD set, I would not mention Trick Room as like you said CB outclasses it and it is hard enough to set up TR while trying to set up SD.

For Set Details on AV set, mention the 0 Speed IVs and Brave nature like you did in the previous two sets.

Other than that, it looks really good, Kreme :)
Agree that its 4x Fire weakness should be mentioned in Overview, and that Overcoat lets it avoid powder moves and Hail damage. No need to mention Abomasnow as that's covered in the main analysis. Agree with everything else NV said as well.
Just wondering, I'm just about to implement all the rest but isn't it sort of redundant to mention what Overcoat does in Overview since it's already mentioned in Set Details anyway? Imo it leads to a lot of what the GP team would call copy and pasting.

Also what is this unheard of amcheck QC o.0

Edit: Instead of removing the mention of Trick Room in Set Details for the SD set I decided to mention how it can function as a check to trick room teams, upon suggestion this can be removed though.

2nd Edit: Everything is implemented though.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
Yeah actually you're right don't bother with Overcoat in Overview. I also feel that the Trick Room thing is too specific to mention here, so don't implement that.

It's not really QC amcheck, NV's just making suggestions that QC can look over and see what should be added and what shouldn't be.

Kreme

Yeah actually you're right don't bother with Overcoat in Overview. I also feel that the Trick Room thing is too specific to mention here, so don't implement that.

It's not really QC amcheck, NV's just making suggestions that QC can look over and see what should be added and what shouldn't be.
OK so removed that whole specific mention of TR. Oh ok I thought it would be some new thing and got excited lol. Anyways tell me if anything else looks wrong.

Kreme

OK this should be updated to the newest analysis format, ready for final check.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
add remove comment

[OVERVIEW]

Escavalier finds a niche in the UnderUsed tier due to its amazing base 135 Attack stat that allows it to function as an extremely effective wallbreaker. Escavalier also has good overall bulk, allowing it to take many hits in conjunction with its amazing Bug / Steel typing, which grants Escavalier eight resistances and a Poison-type immunity. Despite having those excellent resistances and immunity, Escavalier's typing leaves it weak to a very common offensive typing in Fire. Escavalier also has base 20 Speed, which is a double-edged sword. On one hand, the low Speed allows Escavalier to function as an effective Trick Room abuser. On the other hand, it makes Escavalier one of the slowest Pokemon in the UnderUsed tier.

[SET]
item: Choice Band (order is different)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(cracking down on "is a STAB" because of this)
Megahorn is a STAB attack that has a whopping 120 Base Power., while Iron Head is a consistent STAB attack that and has no drawbacks. Knock Off gives good neutral coverage in conjunction with Escavalier's STAB attacks and allows Escavalier to remove the foe's held item. Drill Run is used to give Escavalier super effective coverage against Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types. On the other hand, Pursuit allows Escavalier to get chip damage against the various Pokemon it forces out, such as Cresselia and Abomasnow.

Set Details
========

The given Attack EVs and nature maximize Escavalier's damage output. The Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss. The remaining EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to augment Escavalier's bulk while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. A Choice Band boosts Escavalier's Attack, making it a dangerous wallbreaker. Overcoat is chosen as the ability, as it ensures Escavalier can't be put to sleep via powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature should be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to scout for Fire-type moves commonly used by offensive Pokemon Escavalier checks, such as Hidden Power Fire on Roserade. Use Grass-, Poison-, Bug-, and Psychic-type Pokemon that cannot KO Escavalier as switch-in opportunities to switch in and punch holes in the opposing team. Escavalier will be locked into a move until it switches out, so be sure to predict well, as being locked into an unfavorable move is easily exploited.

Team Options
========

Escavalier lures in Fire-types, making Pokemon that take advantage of this, such as Suicune and Flash Fire Chandelure, good teammates. Cleaners and sweepers, such as Speed Boost Yanmega and Swords Dance Lucario, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to punch holes in the opposing team. Wallbreakers, such as Choice Specs Shaymin and Choice Band Heracross, make for good partners, as they form wallbreaking cores with Escavalier which can easily dent defensive teams. Pokemon that have a Water-type immunity, such as Dry Skin Toxicroak and Water Absorb Vaporeon, make for good teammates, as they take advantage of the bulky Water-types that attempt to burn Escavalier via Scald.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Escavalier's Attack stat by two stages, making it a deadly wallbreaker. Megahorn is a STAB attack that hits extremely hard, especially after a Swords Dance boost. Iron Head is a STAB attack that is very consistent and has a flinch chance. Knock Off provides Escavalier with good neutral coverage, as well as the ability to remove the held items of opposing Pokemon. Facade can be used in the fourth moveslot to ensure Escavalier isn't shut down by being burnt,; (semicolon) however, it allows Escavalier to be walled by Steel-types. Despite not being listed, Substitute can be used to allow Escavalier to set up easier.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and nature allow Escavalier to have maximized bulk while outspeeding up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon and hitting a jump point in Attack. Overcoat is used, as it allows Escavalier to have an immunity to commonly used sleep-inducing powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. Leftovers are chosen as the held item, because they gives Escavalier a form of passive recovery, making Escavalier harder to wear down. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD with a Brave nature and a 0 Speed IVs can be used to underspeed Forretress so it can switch out via Volt Switch, allowing Escavalier to get a hit off on the incoming Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to set up when facing defensive teams, (comma) but avoid doing so against offensive teams. Should Facade be chosen over Knock Off on the fourth moveslot, be sure to remove Steel-types before attempting to punch holes in the opposing team. Always scout for Fire-type attacks, as they can easily OHKO Escavalier. Escavalier beats most bulky Psychic-types one-on-one and can easily take most moves they throw at it, so be sure to use bulky Psychic-types as switch-in opportunities to switch Escavalier in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters, such as Nidoqueen and Swampert, make for good teammates, as they can set entry hazards to which makes it easier for Escavalier to wallbreak. Cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Mienshao and Shell Smash Cloyster, make for good partners, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to dismantle defensive cores. Sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, appreciate Escavalier's wallbreaking capabilities, making them good teammates. Escavalier lacks a form of reliable recovery, making Wish passers, such as Florges and Alomomola, good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB attack that dents most Pokemon, but it has a miss chance. Iron Head is a secondary STAB attack that has a 30% flinch chance. Knock Off is used, as it provides good utility, removing the held items of opposing Pokemon. Drill Run provides Escavalier with a way to hit Steel-, Fire-, and Poison-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Mega Abomasnow and Snorlax. Maximum Attack EVs are used in conjunction with an Adamant nature to augment Escavalier's Attack. The remaining EVs augment Escavalier's overall bulk, (remove comma) while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature can be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team. An Assault Vest, in conjunction with Escavalier's natural bulk, allows Escavalier to take on various special attackers in the tier, such as Nidoqueen, Kyurem, Shyamin, and Heliolisk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Escavalier to check the various special attackers it deals with, such as non-Fire Blast Hydreigon and Nasty Plot Lucario. Escavalier is easily worn down, so be sure to keep it healthy if it is still required to check special attackers. Prediction is the key to effectively utilizing Escavalier, as it forces many switches. Escavalier can use bulky Psychic-types as switch-in opportunities to switch in, because Escavalier resists most moves they throw at it, and dent them with a STAB Megahorn.

Team Options
========

Wish passers with access to clerical moves, such as Florges and Umbreon, make for good teammates, as they can heal Escavalier with Wish, (remove comma) as well as cure burns Escavalier may might gain. Fire-types are Escavalier's biggest threats, making Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types, such as Feraligatr, Tyrantrum, and Krookodile, respectively, good partners, as they can hit Fire-types for super effective damage with their STAB attacks. Rapid Spin and Defog users, such as Forretress and Crobat, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they can remove entry hazards that wear down Escavalier. This Escavalier set is easily walled by bulky Water-types that can burn Escavalier with Scald, making Pokemon that take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Shaymin and Reuniclus, good partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Escavalier can use a RestTalk set with Swords Dance to effectively break stall, but this set is walled by various Pokemon that resist Bug-type attacks, such as Chandelure, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl. Escavalier can use Toxic to cripple opposing walls, but it doesn't fit on any set. Swarm can also be used to give a boost to Megahorn once Escavalier is weakened, as Overcoat isn't always useful.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Pokemon with Fire-type Moves**: Pokemon that commonly use Fire-type moves, such as the various Fire-types in the tier and the various offensive Pokemon that have Fire-type coverage, can easily KO Escavalier with said moves, although they can't switch into it easily.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Suicune and Chesnaught, easily wall non-Choice Band variants of Escavalier, as they aren't 2HKOed by any move Escavalier can throw at them and can proceed to stall Escavalier out.

**Burns status**: Burns easily cripple Escavalier by halving its Attack, making it setup bait for various Pokemon.

**Wallbreakers**: Wallbreakers, such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Nidoqueen, can OHKO and 2HKO Escavalier, respectively. Although, However, Nidoqueen is unable to 2HKO Assault Vest variants of Escavalier.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Escavalier finds a niche in the UnderUsed tier due to its amazing base 135 Attack, (AC) that which allows it to function as an extremely effective wallbreaker. Escavalier also has good overall bulk, allowing it to take many hits in conjunction with its amazing Bug / Steel typing, which grants Escavalier eight resistances and a Poison-type immunity. Despite having those excellent resistances and immunity, Escavalier's typing leaves it weak to a very common offensive typing in Fire. Escavalier also has base 20 Speed, which is a double-edged sword. On one hand, the low Speed allows Escavalier to function as an effective Trick Room abuser. On the other hand, it makes Escavalier one of the slowest Pokemon in the UnderUsed tier.

[SET]
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn has a whopping 120 Base Power, while Iron Head is consistent and has no drawbacks. Knock Off gives good neutral coverage in conjunction with Escavalier's STAB attacks and allows Escavalier to remove the foe's held item. Drill Run is used to give Escavalier super effective coverage against Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types. On the other hand, Pursuit allows Escavalier to get chip damage against the various Pokemon it forces out, such as Cresselia and Abomasnow.

Set Details
========

The given Attack EVs and nature maximize Escavalier's damage output. The Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss. The remaining EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to augment Escavalier's bulk while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. A Choice Band boosts Escavalier's Attack, making it a dangerous wallbreaker. Overcoat ensures Escavalier can't be put to sleep via powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature should be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to scout for Fire-type moves commonly used by offensive Pokemon Escavalier checks, such as Hidden Power Fire on Roserade. Use Grass-, Poison-, Bug-, and Psychic-type Pokemon that cannot KO Escavalier as opportunities to switch in and punch holes in the opposing team. Escavalier will be locked into a move until it switches out, so be sure to predict well, as being locked into an unfavorable move is easily exploited.

Team Options
========

Escavalier lures in Fire-types, making Pokemon that take advantage of this, such as Suicune and Flash Fire Chandelure, good teammates. Cleaners and sweepers, such as Speed Boost Yanmega and Swords Dance Lucario, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to punch holes in the opposing team. Wallbreakers, such as Choice Specs Shaymin and Choice Band Heracross, make for good partners, as they form wallbreaking cores with Escavalier which that can easily dent defensive teams. Pokemon that have a Water-type immunity, such as Dry Skin Toxicroak and Water Absorb Vaporeon, make for good teammates, as they take advantage of the bulky Water-types that attempt to burn Escavalier via Scald.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Escavalier's Attack stat by two stages, making it a deadly wallbreaker. Megahorn hits extremely hard, especially after a Swords Dance boost. Iron Head is very consistent and has a flinch chance. Knock Off provides Escavalier with good neutral coverage (RC) as well as the ability to remove the held items of opposing Pokemon. Facade can be used in the fourth moveslot to ensure Escavalier isn't shut down by being burnt burns; however, it allows leaves Escavalier to be walled by Steel-types. Despite not being listed, Substitute can be used to allow Escavalier to set up easier more easily.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and nature allow Escavalier to have maximized maximize Escavalier's bulk while outspeeding allowing it to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon and hitting a jump point in Attack. Overcoat allows grants Escavalier to have an immunity to commonly used sleep-inducing powder moves, namely Spore and Sleep Powder. Leftovers gives Escavalier a form of passive recovery, making Escavalier harder to wear down. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD with a Brave nature and a 0 Speed IV can be used to underspeed Forretress so it can switch out via and move after its Volt Switch, allowing Escavalier to get a hit off on the incoming Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to set up when facing defensive teams, but avoid doing so against offensive teams. Should Facade be chosen over Knock Off on the fourth moveslot, be sure to remove Steel-types before attempting to punch holes in the opposing team. Always scout for Fire-type attacks, as they can easily OHKO Escavalier. Escavalier beats most bulky Psychic-types one-on-one and can easily take most moves they throw at it, so be sure to use bulky Psychic-types as opportunities to switch Escavalier in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters, such as Nidoqueen and Swampert, make for good teammates, as they can set entry hazards to make it easier for Escavalier to wallbreak. Cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Mienshao and Shell Smash Cloyster, make for good partners, as they capitalize on Escavalier's ability to dismantle defensive cores. Sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, appreciate Escavalier's wallbreaking capabilities, making them good teammates. Escavalier lacks a form of reliable recovery, making Wish passers, such as Florges and Alomomola, good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB attack that dents most Pokemon, but it has a miss chance. Iron Head is a secondary STAB attack that has a 30% flinch chance. Knock Off provides good utility, removing the held items of opposing Pokemon. Drill Run provides Escavalier with a way to hit Steel-, Fire-, and Poison-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs allow Escavalier to outspeed up to uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon, such as Mega Abomasnow and Snorlax. Maximum Attack EVs are used in conjunction with an Adamant nature to augment Escavalier's Attack. The remaining EVs augment Escavalier's overall bulk while ensuring Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get a Special Attack boost via Download. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature can be used if Escavalier is being used on a Trick Room team. An Assault Vest, in conjunction with Escavalier's natural bulk, allows Escavalier to take on various special attackers in the tier, such as Nidoqueen, Kyurem, Shyamin Shaymin, and Heliolisk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Escavalier to check the various special attackers it deals with, such as non-Fire Blast Hydreigon and Nasty Plot Lucario. Escavalier is easily worn down, so be sure to keep it healthy if it is still required to check special attackers. Prediction is the key to effectively utilizing Escavalier, as it forces many switches. Escavalier can use bulky Psychic-types as opportunities to switch in, because Escavalier resists most moves they throw at it, and dent them with a STAB Megahorn.

Team Options
========

Wish passers with access to clerical moves, such as Florges and Umbreon, make for good teammates, as they can heal Escavalier with Wish as well as cure burns Escavalier might gain. Fire-types are Escavalier's biggest threats, making Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types, such as Feraligatr, Tyrantrum, and Krookodile, respectively, good partners, as they can hit Fire-types for super effective damage with their STAB attacks. Rapid Spin and Defog users, such as Forretress and Crobat, respectively, also make for good teammates, as they can remove entry hazards that wear down Escavalier. This Escavalier set is easily walled by bulky Water-types that can burn Escavalier with Scald, making Pokemon that take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Shaymin and Reuniclus, good partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
=============

**Pokemon with Fire-type Moves**: Pokemon that commonly use Fire-type moves, such as the various Fire-types in the tier and the various offensive Pokemon that have Fire-type coverage, (probably makes sense to use actual examples here instead cause as it stands it's a bit uninformative) can easily KO Escavalier with said moves, although they can't switch into it easily.

**Burns**: Burns easily cripple Escavalier by halving its Attack, making it setup bait for various Pokemon.

**Wallbreakers**: Wallbreakers, such as Choice Band Heracross and Life Orb Nidoqueen, can OHKO and 2HKO Escavalier, respectively. However, Nidoqueen is unable to 2HKO Assault Vest variants of Escavalier.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)