Escavalier

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Escavalier's solid typing and bulk allow it to check the various Psychic-types in the tier. Despite its average movepool, Escavalier can perform multiple roles on a team, such as an Assault Vest tank, a Choice Band wallbreaker, or a late game sweeper with Swords Dance. Unfortunately, Escavalier's lack of reliable recovery hinders its ability to tank hits, and this is furthered by its awful Speed stat. Common Fire-types in the tier are major issues for Escavalier, as they resist both of Escavalier's STAB moves and can consistently pressure Escavalier.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Knock Off / Drill Run
item: Assault Vest
ability: Overcoat
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move that hits hard and targets the Psychic-types that Escavalier checks. Iron Head is Escavalier's secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum as well as Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Togetic. Pursuit provides important utility in trapping a fleeing Psychic- or Ghost-type such as Meloetta, Mesprit, Reuniclus, Bronzong, and Mismagius. Knock Off cripples Escavalier's typical switch-ins such as Alomomola and Qwilfish by removing their item. Drill Run can be used to target Fire- and Steel-types such as Emboar, Houdoom, and Cobalion.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Reuniclus. 248 HP EVs make Escavalier as bulky as possible while minimizing the damage taken from entry hazards. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to hit hard. Assault Vest bolsters Escavalier's Special Defense, making it a potent tank. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into weak or resisted special attacks and hit back hard with a strong STAB move or a coverage move. Knock Off can be spammed in the early-game, as it is very useful to cripple most of Escavalier's typical switch-ins, but should be used sparingly if your opponent has a Cobalion or Virizion, which benefit from taking the Dark-type attack. Escavalier should be kept away from Knock Off users, as losing its Assault Vest greatly hinders its ability as a pivot and tank.

Team Options
========

Teammates to handle Fire-types such as Delphox, Emboar, Mega Camerupt, and Houndoom are necessary. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Qwilfish, and Jellicent check some of those Fire-types to some degree. Alomomola also provides Wish support for Escavalier to somewhat mitigate its lack of recovery. Houndoom sets itself apart from the other two Fire-types in that it can easily muscle past Water-types with Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses, so other teammates such as Mega Camerupt, Rhyperior, and Emboar all fit this role. Dragon-type Pokemon such as Druddigon and Tyrantrum are also decent checks to Fire-type Pokemon and appreciate Escavalier's ability to threaten Fairy-types and switch into stray Ice-type attacks aimed at them.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 4: Drill Run / Knock Off
item: Choice Band
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move, 2HKOing even bulky Pokemon such as Alomomola. Iron Head is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Fairy- and Rock-types such as Togetic and Tyrantrum. Pursuit deals massive damage to fleeing Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Mesprit. Drill Run hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Emboar, and Mega Camerupt. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used for general utility in removing the foe's item.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to hit as hard as possible, and a Choice Band amplifies Escavalier's power to exceptional levels. 84 Speed EVs let Escavalier outpace uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss. Overcoat avoids Spore and Sleep Powder from the likes of Amoonguss and Tangrowth.

Usage Tips
========

Generally, Choice Band Escavalier is best used as a powerful wallbreaker early- to mid-game so that its teammates can clean up afterwards. Due to being Choice-locked, this set typically tends to be somewhat prediction reliant, as it is easy to take advantage of Escavalier locked into one of its STAB moves or a weak coverage move. Specifically, it is very easy to exploit Escavalier locked into Drill Run, so it should be used sparingly. However, it can be quite rewarding to hit Cobalion, Emboar, or Mega Steelix on the switch with Drill Run to aid a teammate that may struggle getting past them. Use Pursuit to trap fleeing Psychic-types, but the move should also be used sparingly if your opponent has a Pokemon that can set up on Escavalier locked into Pursuit, such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Fletchinder. Scout for Fire-type coverage moves from the likes of Druddigon and Tangrowth.

Team Options
========

Water-type Pokemon such as Samurott, Alomomola, and Seismitoad are excellent teammates because they take on the Fire-types that bother Escavalier, while in return Escavalier threatens Grass-types with Megahorn. General setup sweepers such as Drapion, Tyrantrum, and Shiftry make for great teammates, as they appreciate Escavalier's wallbreaking. In addition, all of these Pokemon appreciate Escavalier luring in Mega Steelix with Drill Run so that they can have an easier time sweeping. Pokemon that can check or revenge kill Virizion and Cobalion, such as Fletchinder, Sigilyph, Choice Scarf Emboar, and Garbodor, are very helpful.

[SET]
name: SD RestTalk
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Megahorn
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Swords Dance, this Escavalier set can slowly boost its way up to +6, hitting a monstrous 1232 Attack and being able to heavily damage, if not outright OHKO, every common Pokemon on a defensive team. Rest is used to bring Escavalier back up to full health if it is getting worn down by moves such as Meloetta's Shadow Ball, while also alleviating any burns that may occur from moves such as Alomomola's Scald. Sleep Talk lets Escavalier gain Attack boosts as well as launch attacks while it is still asleep from Rest. Megahorn is the actual attacking move, with a high Base Power and being at least neutral against a large amount of defensive Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The set uses maximum investment in Special Defense because Escavalier typically likes setting up on Calm Mind Psychic-types, and it already has impressive physical bulk. Leftovers provides passive recovery, aiding Escavalier in its role. A Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to outspeed threats in Trick Room such as Reuniclus and Rhyperior. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize damage taken from entry hazards. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Switch into Pokemon that Escavalier can set up on, such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss, and proceed to use Swords Dance until Escavalier gets worn down or inflicted with status. Usage of Rest and Sleep Talk is rather straightforward; Rest should be used to heal Escavalier and cleanse it of any status ailments, and Sleep Talk should be used while asleep. These two moves also allow Escavalier to switch into and absorb status moves. It is important to get rid of Fire-type Pokemon such as Emboar and Mega Camerupt as well as Taunt users such as Drapion and Spiritomb before setting up, as they are significant roadblocks for Escavalier.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Torterra, and Mega Camerupt is helpful to dissuade Fire-types from repeatedly switching in. In addition, Spikes support from the likes of Qwilfish and Roselia quickly wears down Mega Steelix and Mega Camerupt, both common answers to Escavalier. Teammates to check Fire-type Pokemon, such as Lanturn, Alomomola, and Rhyperior, are solid partners. Due to how this set matches up well versus defensive builds and struggles against offensive teams, Pokemon that have a good matchup against offensive teams such as Choice Scarf Emboar, Fletchinder, and Jolteon pair well with Escavalier. Clerics such as Aromatisse and Granbull are helpful so that Escavalier doesn't have to be completely reliant on Sleep Talk.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set with Swords Dance and three attacks has some merit but struggles to set up and maintain longevity. To a different measure, a Swords Dance set with two attacks and Rest and a Chesto Berry can be used. Toxic cripples Alomomola and Fire-type Pokemon, but has little use outside of that.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Camerupt, Houndoom, and Emboar resist at least one of Escavalier's STAB attacks and can annihilate it with their own STAB moves. However, they should all be wary of Drill Run. Delphox can work too, but due to its Bug neutrality, Dark weakness, and overall physical frailty, it's not as good as Mega Camerupt or Emboar.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Alomomola counters the Assault Vest set, but is 2HKOed by Choice Band Megahorn. Qwilfish resists both of Escavalier's STAB moves, softens up its attacks with Intimidate, can prevent the Swords Dance set from setting up with Taunt, and can set up Spikes on Escavalier. However, Qwilfish takes a solid amount of damage from Drill Run.

**Steel-types**: Cobalion and Mega Steelix are full counters to Escavalier lacking Drill Run. Cobalion can use Escavalier as setup fodder and Mega Steelix can whittle it down with repeated Earthquakes or set up Curse against it. However, Choice Band Drill Run puts a massive dent in both of these Pokemon.

**Burns**: Cofagrigus, Spiritomb, and Fletchinder can burn Escavalier and render it useless for the remainder of the match. Cofagrigus and Fletchinder can also set up on a burned Escavalier with Nasty Plot and Swords Dance, respectively.

**Fire-type Coverage Moves**: Most Pokemon with a Fire-type coverage moves pressure Escavalier. Common examples include Fire Punch Druddigon and Heat Wave Sigilyph.

Last edited:
hey! so just a few things i wanted to throw out there as a general thing, b.c these have irked me when i saw the original anaylsis

174 hp doesn't accomplish anything that 172 does, and it bothers me a lot haha. i think that assault vest is better off creeping its speed out of attack, as in with its primary function (meaning it would run 248 hp / 176 atk / 84 spe), whereas cb should still run max atk. this one is a bit more 'extreme', but i think pursuit should be a main slash on both av and cb, with coverage being a slashing deal (ie. megahorn / iron head / pursuit / [knock off / drill run], with drill run getting the primary slash on cb since the ability to hit cobalion / 'lix becomes a lot more meaningful when you can actually deal substantial damage there). especially in the case of av, i've felt pursuit-less escavalier to be such a weird, 'do-nothing' kind of 'mon that exclusively tanks hits without providing anything more in terms of team support, with is dumb when the option for it to do more is right there in front of it. also, mono-attacking should be running 248 hp to reduce hazards dmg.

Steel types megalix and cobalion mostly should be in c&c for sure
i would argue that pursuit is a lot superior to drill run especially on av mostly for meloetta and to wear down cress but less for slowking

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks pretty good, you missed the EVs on SD set from 49's check (should be 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD). Probably add Qwilfish to C&C under physically bulky mons, uses it to set up Spikes + has taunt for SD set usually and is immune to t spikes if it has t spike support. Uhhh, OO looks empty af, but that's cause Escavalier has no movepool, so I guess its fine.

QC approved 1/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
So, why would you run Iron Head on SD Restalk??

I speak both as someone who points out the missing sentence AND someone who's usee the shit out of Megahorn and found it vital. iirc one of the explanations i saw in the previous threads is that 'escav beats boosting psychics anyhow' which, haha, no

Here's some reasons btw, if you want them

Super Fang / Taunt Golbat (maybe just all golbat though you can just bash it a lot)
Flamethrower Togetic
Fire Punch Granbull
Flamethrower weezing to a small extent

I'd like to see some reasons anyhow, if only so that i can mercilessly shoot them down

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks pretty good, you missed the EVs on SD set from 49's check (should be 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD). Probably add Qwilfish to C&C under physically bulky mons, uses it to set up Spikes + has taunt for SD set usually and is immune to t spikes if it has t spike support. Uhhh, OO looks empty af, but that's cause Escavalier has no movepool, so I guess its fine.

QC approved 1/3
Done, thanks for the check
So, why would you run Iron Head on SD Restalk??

I speak both as someone who points out the missing sentence AND someone who's usee the shit out of Megahorn and found it vital. iirc one of the explanations i saw in the previous threads is that 'escav beats boosting psychics anyhow' which, haha, no

Here's some reasons btw, if you want them

Super Fang / Taunt Golbat (maybe just all golbat though you can just bash it a lot)
Flamethrower Togetic
Fire Punch Granbull
Flamethrower weezing to a small extent

I'd like to see some reasons anyhow, if only so that i can mercilessly shoot them down
lol I meant to remove it entirely, I just forgot to delete the slash after removing the sentence. Most of those reasons are pretty meh to use it, and in the original sentence it was supposedly for gligar.
Just to clarify, you don't think it should be slashed, right? I don't either, just making sure that I'm interpreting what you said correctly.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, like i said, i don't think so, but i don't really know the argument FOR slashing it either, which makes it kind of difficult to argue against

That said, acting as a Slurpuff check is probably the largest reason, which I forgot, but outside of that, I don't like any part of it and I'd never use it

Edit: so i actually started running min speed on SD Escav. Is there a good reason not to do that ? unless you plan to creep, which i don't want to do, it's not helpful to stay at that range because everything ELSE creeps. Unless people want creep to be an explicit option, we might as well do that, it makes Escav pretty good against TR

Last edited:
cool cool

"Escavalier's solid typing and overall bulk allows it to check various Psychic-types in the tier, most notably Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Meloetta. Sporting an excellent Attack stat, Escavalier hits quite hard thanks to its solid Attack stat, while also functioning as an effective tank"

this bit, particularly the italicized segment, has some redundancy that i'd wanna see cut down upon. if it's feeling sparse, rather than tryna fluff up ish, i might suggest addressing the competition for a teamslot escavalier faces from durant, and that 'tankiness' (being twaved by a psychic isn't a deal-breaker as it is for durant, a defensive stab moonblast / psychic doesn't do 40+% to it) and pursuit offers it value here.

mention some brief applications of the value of av on the first set. if i'm recalling correctly, this variant will survive 2 consecutive specs melo focus blasts after sr, 2 lo reuniclus focus blasts (so it can't try to catch you first time coming in, then tr'ing up the second go-'round), which is a nice assurance for teams that wanna get that pursuit off. also just quickly address overcoat's application there, since ik you do on other sets but it's kinda protocol haha

having momo mentioned as a cb partner isn't bad either; just b.c it isn't as dedicated towards the purpose of tanking hits doesn't mean it doesn't tank hits for teams any more. just a different dynamic to the team, etc etc

3/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
Here i am, rock you like a hurricane

'This set functions as a powerful win condition against most stall teams'

Tbh i feel like it doesn't, stall teams often have CurseSire or maybe Mlix+wish/curselix, or niche-ier stuff like weezing, flamethrower tic, fire punch bull, poliwrath, haze mantine. It can wincon against some stall but i find it shines more against defensive cores on balance, threatening a megahorn to the face of anything that threatens it so they can't switch in safely or threatening to SD through the defensive mon; eventually offensive threats die on the switch or defensive ones get mowed down and escav cleans / rest of the team cleans.

Whew, moving on

'Knock Off is a third option' not anymore heh

Amoonguss is a bit of a toughie for setting up on, i guess hp fire doesn't actually 3hko but still, you're going to have to rest which is annoying. Plus, foul play.

I'd mention clerics in teammates too. Spikes support is nice for doublade and mlix as well as rhyp to an extent.

Like i said up there (im sure you just missed it), i like min speed -speed nature 0 speed on
SD restalk escav to beat hell out of Tr teams. The main downside is, if speed creep is supposed to be an option on the set, now it isn't, but i don't feel it should be one anyhow; everything creeps up to base 30s so you're not likely to catch an Mrupt or opposing Escav napping and it eats into your bulk a bit.

In short with min speed you outslow anything on a tr team except opposing escav ( who you can tank a hit from and blast back hard ), mrupt and maboma (might not be evolved), which is cool for beating TR obvsly.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
cool cool

"Escavalier's solid typing and overall bulk allows it to check various Psychic-types in the tier, most notably Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Meloetta. Sporting an excellent Attack stat, Escavalier hits quite hard thanks to its solid Attack stat, while also functioning as an effective tank"

this bit, particularly the italicized segment, has some redundancy that i'd wanna see cut down upon. if it's feeling sparse, rather than tryna fluff up ish, i might suggest addressing the competition for a teamslot escavalier faces from durant, and that 'tankiness' (being twaved by a psychic isn't a deal-breaker as it is for durant, a defensive stab moonblast / psychic doesn't do 40+% to it) and pursuit offers it value here.

mention some brief applications of the value of av on the first set. if i'm recalling correctly, this variant will survive 2 consecutive specs melo focus blasts after sr, 2 lo reuniclus focus blasts (so it can't try to catch you first time coming in, then tr'ing up the second go-'round), which is a nice assurance for teams that wanna get that pursuit off. also just quickly address overcoat's application there, since ik you do on other sets but it's kinda protocol haha

having momo mentioned as a cb partner isn't bad either; just b.c it isn't as dedicated towards the purpose of tanking hits doesn't mean it doesn't tank hits for teams any more. just a different dynamic to the team, etc etc

3/3
removed the line, it was worded really awkwardly haha
not adding the thing about durant since the only thing I see as a comparison between the two is their typing and the specificity of their comparison isnt too clear imo and I dont feel it fits in the overview well.
even without rocks it chews 2 specs focus blasts from melo and 2 lo focus blasts from reuniclus so not sure what specific calcs I should put there :o
252 SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 124-147 (36.1 - 42.8%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 117-138 (34.1 - 40.2%)

added overcoat description to the 3rd set, thats where it was missing
added mola to cb team options
thanks for the check g
Here i am, rock you like a hurricane

'This set functions as a powerful win condition against most stall teams'

Tbh i feel like it doesn't, stall teams often have CurseSire or maybe Mlix+wish/curselix, or niche-ier stuff like weezing, flamethrower tic, fire punch bull, poliwrath, haze mantine. It can wincon against some stall but i find it shines more against defensive cores on balance, threatening a megahorn to the face of anything that threatens it so they can't switch in safely or threatening to SD through the defensive mon; eventually offensive threats die on the switch or defensive ones get mowed down and escav cleans / rest of the team cleans.

Whew, moving on

'Knock Off is a third option' not anymore heh

Amoonguss is a bit of a toughie for setting up on, i guess hp fire doesn't actually 3hko but still, you're going to have to rest which is annoying. Plus, foul play.

I'd mention clerics in teammates too. Spikes support is nice for doublade and mlix as well as rhyp to an extent.

Like i said up there (im sure you just missed it), i like min speed -speed nature 0 speed on
SD restalk escav to beat hell out of Tr teams. The main downside is, if speed creep is supposed to be an option on the set, now it isn't, but i don't feel it should be one anyhow; everything creeps up to base 30s so you're not likely to catch an Mrupt or opposing Escav napping and it eats into your bulk a bit.

In short with min speed you outslow anything on a tr team except opposing escav ( who you can tank a hit from and blast back hard ), mrupt and maboma (might not be evolved), which is cool for beating TR obvsly.
trc wrote that sentence about the win condition thing and you're right, it doesnt seem all that right and it doesnt even make sense to put in the moves section - removed it.
fixed the knock off thing, ty
after some thought the -spe spread seems logical because there isnt jack squat you're outspeeding with the 0 spe nuetral spread, so I'll change that unless I'm told otherwise by qc, I know you arent but the spread makes sense.
also could have sworn that I removed the iron head slash from that set, did someone edit that in or did I just forget to edit it?

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add / Remove / (Comments)
Overview
########

Escavalier's solid typing and overall bulk allows it to check various Psychic-types in the tier, most notably Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Meloetta. Sporting an excellent Attack stat, Escavalier hits quite hard thanks to its solid Attack stat, while also functioning as an effective tank. Despite its average movepool, Escavalier can perform multiple roles on a team, such as an Assault Vest tank, Choice Band Wallbreaker wallbreaker, or a late game sweeper with Swords Dance. Unfortunately, Escavalier's lack of reliable recovery hinders its ability to tank hits, and this is furthered by its awful Speed stat. Common Fire-types in the tier are (add 're') major issues for Escavalier, (AC) as they resist both of Escavalier's STAB moves and can consistently pressure Escavalier.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move that hits hard and targets the Psychic-types that Escavalier checks. Iron Head is Escavalier's secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum as well as Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Slurpuff. Pursuit provides important utility in trapping a fleeing Psychic- or Ghost-type such as Meloetta, Mesprit, Reuniclus, Bronzong, and Mismagius. Knock Off cripples Escavalier's typical switch-(add hyphen)ins such as Alomomola and Qwilfish by removing their item, as well as being a reliable attack to hit Doublade with. Drill Run can be used to target Fire- and Steel-types such as Emboar, Houdoom, and Cobalion.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested base 30 Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Reuniclus, and Slowking. 248 HP EVs make Escavalier as bulky as possible while minimizing the damage taken from entry hazards. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to hit hard. Assault Vest bolsters Escavalier's Special Defense, making it a potent tank. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into weak or resisted special attacks and hit back hard with a strong STAB move or a coverage move. Knock Off can be spammed early game, (AC) as it is very useful to cripple most of Escavalier's typical switch-(add hyphen)ins, but should be used sparingly if your opponent has a Cobalion or Virizion which would benefit from taking the Dark-type attack. Escavalier should be kept away from Knock Off users, as losing its Assault Vest greatly hinders its ability as a pivot and tank.

Team Options
========

Teammates to handle Fire-types such as Delphox, Emboar, Mega Camerupt, and Houndoom, are necessary. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Slowking, and Jellicent check some of the aforementioned Pokemon to some degree. Alomomola also provides Wish support for Escavalier to somewhat mitigate it'(remove apostrophe)s lack of recovery. Houndoom sets itself apart from the other two Fire-types in that it can easily muscle past Water-types with Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses, so other teammates such as Mega Camerupt, Rhyperior, and Emboar, (RC) all fit this role. Dragon-type Pokemon such as Druddigon and Tyrantrum are also decent checks to Fire-type Pokemon and appreciate Escavalier's ability to threaten Fairy-types and switch into stray Ice-type attacks aimed at them.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move, 2HKOing even bulky Pokemon such as Alomomola. Iron Head is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Fairy- and Rock-types such as Slurpuff, Togetic, and Tyrantrum. Pursuit deals massive damage to fleeing Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Mesprit. Drill Run hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Emboar, and Mega Camerupt. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used for general utility in removing the foe's item and is Escavalier's strongest attack against Doublade, assuming it still has its Eviolite.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and an Adamant nature is used to hit as hard as possible, and a Choice Band amplifies Escavalier's power to exceptional levels. 84 Speed EVs let Escavalier outpace uninvested base 30 Pokemon such as Reuniclus, Amoonuguss, and Slowking. Overcoat avoids Spore and Sleep Powder from the likes of Amoonguss and Tangrowth.

Usage Tips
========

Generally, Choice Band Escavalier is best used as a powerful wallbreaker early- to mid-game so that its teammates can clean up aftwerwards. Due to being choice-locked, this set typically tends to be somewhat prediction reliant, as it is easy to take advantage of Escavalier locked into one of its STAB moves or a weak coverage move. Specifically, it is very easy to exploit Escavalier locked into Drill Run, so it should be used sparingly. However, it can be quite rewarding to hit Cobalion, Emboar, or Mega Steelix on the switch with Drill Run to aid a teammate that may struggle getting past them. Use Pursuit to trap fleeing Psychic-types, but should also be used sparingly if your opponent has a Pokemon that can set up on Escavalier locked into Pursuit such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Fletchinder. Scout for Fire-type coverage moves from the likes of Druddigon, Slowking, Tangrowth, and Whismicott.

Team Options
========

Water-type Pokemon such as Slowking, Samurott, Alomomola, and Seismitoad are excellent teammates because they tackle on Fire-types that bother Escavalier, while it in return Escavalier threatens Grass-types with a strong Megahorn. General setup sweepers such as Mega Abomasnow, Drapion, Tyrantrum, and Slurpuff make for great teammates as, (AC) they appreciate Escavaliers wallbreaking. In addition, all of these Pokemon appreciate Escavalier luring in Mega Steelix with Drill Run so they can have an easier time sweeping. Pokemon that can check or revenge kill Virizion and Cobalion, (AC) such as Fletchinder, Sigilyph, Choice Scarf Emboar, and Garbodor are very helpful.

SD RestTalk
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance, this Escavalier set can slowly boost its way up to +6, hitting a monstrous 1224 1232 Attack, (or make the EVs 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD) and being able to heavily damage, (AC) if not outright OHKO, (AC) every common Pokemon on a defensive team. Rest is used to bring Escavalier back up to full health if it is getting worn down by moves such as Meloetta's Shadow Ball, for example, while also alleviating any burns that may occur from moves such as Alomomola's Scald, as another example. Sleep Talk lets Escavalier gain its Attack boosts as well as fire off attacks while it is still asleep from rest Rest. Finally, Megahorn is the actual attacking move, with a high base power and being at least neutral against a large amount of defensive Pokemon. Knock Off can be used to remove items like such as Leftovers as well as the items of typical Fire-type switch-ins, and also is Escavalier's strongest hit versus Doublade, but it is much weaker especially after it removes the item, due it not gaining STAB.

Set Details
========

The set uses maximum investment in Special Defense because Escavalier typically likes setting up on Calm Mind Psychic-types, and it already has impressive physical bulk. Leftovers provides passive recovery, aiding Escavalier in its role. A Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to "outspeed" (remove quotation marks) threats in Trick Room such as Reuniclus, Slowking, and Mega Abomasnow. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize damage taken from entry hazards. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Switch into Pokemon that Escavalier can set (add space)up on, such as Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Amoonguss, (AC) and proceed to Swords Dance until Escavalier gets worn down or statused. Usage of Rest and Sleep Talk is rather straightforward; Rest should be used to heal Escavalier and cleanse it of any status ailments, and Sleep Talk should be used while asleep. These two moves also allow Escavalier to switch into and absorb status moves. It is important to get rid of Fire-type Pokemon such as Emboar and Mega Camerupt as well as Taunt users such as Drapion and Spiritomb before setting up, as they are significant roadblocks for Escavalier.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Torterra, and Mega Camerupt is helpful to dissuade Fire-types from repeatedly switching in. In addition, Spikes support from the likes of Qwilfish and Roselia quickly wear down Mega Steelix and Doublade, both common answers to Escavalier. Teammates to check Fire-type Pokemon, (AC) such as Lanturn, Alomomola, Slowking, and Rhyperior, (AC) are solid partners. Due to how this set matches up well versus defensive builds and struggles versus offensive teams, Pokemon that have a good matchup against offensive teams such as Choice Scarf Emboar, Fletchinder, Jolteon, and Whimsicott pair well with Escavalier. Clerics such as Aromatisse and Granbull are helpful so that Escavalier doesnt have to be completely reliant on Sleep Talk.

Other Options
########

A set with Swords Dance and three attacks has some merit but struggles to set up and maintain longevity. To a different measure, a Swords Dance set with two attacks and Rest and a Chesto Berry can be used. Toxic cripples Alomomola and Fire-type Pokemon, but has little use outside of that.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Camerupt, Houndoom, (AC) and Emboar resist at least one of Escavalier's STAB attacks and can annihilate it with their own STAB moves. However, they should all be wary of Drill Run. Delphox can work too, but due to a Bug neutrality, Dark weakness, and overall physical frailty, it's not as good as Mega Camerupt or Emboar.

**Physically bulky Bulky Pokemon**: Alomomola counters the Assault Vest set, but is 2HKOed by Choice Band Megahorn. Qwilfish resists both of Escavalier's STAB moves, softens up its attacks with Intimidate, can prevent the Swords Dance set from setting up with Taunt, and can set up Spikes on Escavalier. However, Qwilfish takes a solid amount of damage from Drill Run.

**Steel-types**: Cobalion and Mega Steelix are full counters to Escavalier lacking Drill Run. Cobalion can use Escavalier as setup fodder for Swords Dances and Mega Steelix can whittle it down with repeated Earthquakes or set (add space)up Curses against it. However, Choice Band Drill Run puts a massive hurt on both of these Pokemon.

**Burn**: Cofagrigus, Spiritomb, and Fletchinder can burn Escavalier and render it useless for the remainder of the match. Cofagrigus and Fletchinder can also set up on a burned Escavalier with Nasty Plot and Swords Dance, (AC) respectively.

**Fire-type Coverage Moves**: Most Pokemon with a Fire-type coverage moves pressure Escavalier. Common examples include Fire Punch Druddigon, Fire Blast Slowking, Hidden Power Fire Whimsicott, and Heat Wave Sigilyph.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Add / Remove / (Comments)
Overview
########

Escavalier's solid typing and overall bulk allows it to check various Psychic-types in the tier, most notably Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Meloetta. Sporting an excellent Attack stat, Escavalier hits quite hard thanks to its solid Attack stat, while also functioning as an effective tank. Despite its average movepool, Escavalier can perform multiple roles on a team, such as an Assault Vest tank, Choice Band Wallbreaker wallbreaker, or a late game sweeper with Swords Dance. Unfortunately, Escavalier's lack of reliable recovery hinders its ability to tank hits, and this is furthered by its awful Speed stat. Common Fire-types in the tier are (add 're') major issues for Escavalier, (AC) as they resist both of Escavalier's STAB moves and can consistently pressure Escavalier.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move that hits hard and targets the Psychic-types that Escavalier checks. Iron Head is Escavalier's secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum as well as Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Slurpuff. Pursuit provides important utility in trapping a fleeing Psychic- or Ghost-type such as Meloetta, Mesprit, Reuniclus, Bronzong, and Mismagius. Knock Off cripples Escavalier's typical switch-(add hyphen)ins such as Alomomola and Qwilfish by removing their item, as well as being a reliable attack to hit Doublade with. Drill Run can be used to target Fire- and Steel-types such as Emboar, Houdoom, and Cobalion.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested base 30 Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Reuniclus, and Slowking. 248 HP EVs make Escavalier as bulky as possible while minimizing the damage taken from entry hazards. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to hit hard. Assault Vest bolsters Escavalier's Special Defense, making it a potent tank. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into weak or resisted special attacks and hit back hard with a strong STAB move or a coverage move. Knock Off can be spammed early game, (AC) as it is very useful to cripple most of Escavalier's typical switch-(add hyphen)ins, but should be used sparingly if your opponent has a Cobalion or Virizion which would benefit from taking the Dark-type attack. Escavalier should be kept away from Knock Off users, as losing its Assault Vest greatly hinders its ability as a pivot and tank.

Team Options
========

Teammates to handle Fire-types such as Delphox, Emboar, Mega Camerupt, and Houndoom, are necessary. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Slowking, and Jellicent check some of the aforementioned Pokemon to some degree. Alomomola also provides Wish support for Escavalier to somewhat mitigate it'(remove apostrophe)s lack of recovery. Houndoom sets itself apart from the other two Fire-types in that it can easily muscle past Water-types with Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses, so other teammates such as Mega Camerupt, Rhyperior, and Emboar, (RC) all fit this role. Dragon-type Pokemon such as Druddigon and Tyrantrum are also decent checks to Fire-type Pokemon and appreciate Escavalier's ability to threaten Fairy-types and switch into stray Ice-type attacks aimed at them.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move, 2HKOing even bulky Pokemon such as Alomomola. Iron Head is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Fairy- and Rock-types such as Slurpuff, Togetic, and Tyrantrum. Pursuit deals massive damage to fleeing Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Mesprit. Drill Run hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Emboar, and Mega Camerupt. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used for general utility in removing the foe's item and is Escavalier's strongest attack against Doublade, assuming it still has its Eviolite.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and an Adamant nature is used to hit as hard as possible, and a Choice Band amplifies Escavalier's power to exceptional levels. 84 Speed EVs let Escavalier outpace uninvested base 30 Pokemon such as Reuniclus, Amoonuguss, and Slowking. Overcoat avoids Spore and Sleep Powder from the likes of Amoonguss and Tangrowth.

Usage Tips
========

Generally, Choice Band Escavalier is best used as a powerful wallbreaker early- to mid-game so that its teammates can clean up aftwerwards. Due to being choice-locked, this set typically tends to be somewhat prediction reliant, as it is easy to take advantage of Escavalier locked into one of its STAB moves or a weak coverage move. Specifically, it is very easy to exploit Escavalier locked into Drill Run, so it should be used sparingly. However, it can be quite rewarding to hit Cobalion, Emboar, or Mega Steelix on the switch with Drill Run to aid a teammate that may struggle getting past them. Use Pursuit to trap fleeing Psychic-types, but should also be used sparingly if your opponent has a Pokemon that can set up on Escavalier locked into Pursuit such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Fletchinder. Scout for Fire-type coverage moves from the likes of Druddigon, Slowking, Tangrowth, and Whismicott.

Team Options
========

Water-type Pokemon such as Slowking, Samurott, Alomomola, and Seismitoad are excellent teammates because they tackle on Fire-types that bother Escavalier, while it in return Escavalier threatens Grass-types with a strong Megahorn. General setup sweepers such as Mega Abomasnow, Drapion, Tyrantrum, and Slurpuff make for great teammates as, (AC) they appreciate Escavaliers wallbreaking. In addition, all of these Pokemon appreciate Escavalier luring in Mega Steelix with Drill Run so they can have an easier time sweeping. Pokemon that can check or revenge kill Virizion and Cobalion, (AC) such as Fletchinder, Sigilyph, Choice Scarf Emboar, and Garbodor are very helpful.

SD RestTalk
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance, this Escavalier set can slowly boost its way up to +6, hitting a monstrous 1224 1232 Attack, (or make the EVs 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD) and being able to heavily damage, (AC) if not outright OHKO, (AC) every common Pokemon on a defensive team. Rest is used to bring Escavalier back up to full health if it is getting worn down by moves such as Meloetta's Shadow Ball, for example, while also alleviating any burns that may occur from moves such as Alomomola's Scald, as another example. Sleep Talk lets Escavalier gain its Attack boosts as well as fire off attacks while it is still asleep from rest Rest. Finally, Megahorn is the actual attacking move, with a high base power and being at least neutral against a large amount of defensive Pokemon. Knock Off can be used to remove items like such as Leftovers as well as the items of typical Fire-type switch-ins, and also is Escavalier's strongest hit versus Doublade, but it is much weaker especially after it removes the item, due it not gaining STAB.

Set Details
========

The set uses maximum investment in Special Defense because Escavalier typically likes setting up on Calm Mind Psychic-types, and it already has impressive physical bulk. Leftovers provides passive recovery, aiding Escavalier in its role. A Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to "outspeed" (remove quotation marks) threats in Trick Room such as Reuniclus, Slowking, and Mega Abomasnow. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize damage taken from entry hazards. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Switch into Pokemon that Escavalier can set (add space)up on, such as Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Amoonguss, (AC) and proceed to Swords Dance until Escavalier gets worn down or statused. Usage of Rest and Sleep Talk is rather straightforward; Rest should be used to heal Escavalier and cleanse it of any status ailments, and Sleep Talk should be used while asleep. These two moves also allow Escavalier to switch into and absorb status moves. It is important to get rid of Fire-type Pokemon such as Emboar and Mega Camerupt as well as Taunt users such as Drapion and Spiritomb before setting up, as they are significant roadblocks for Escavalier.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Torterra, and Mega Camerupt is helpful to dissuade Fire-types from repeatedly switching in. In addition, Spikes support from the likes of Qwilfish and Roselia quickly wear down Mega Steelix and Doublade, both common answers to Escavalier. Teammates to check Fire-type Pokemon, (AC) such as Lanturn, Alomomola, Slowking, and Rhyperior, (AC) are solid partners. Due to how this set matches up well versus defensive builds and struggles versus offensive teams, Pokemon that have a good matchup against offensive teams such as Choice Scarf Emboar, Fletchinder, Jolteon, and Whimsicott pair well with Escavalier. Clerics such as Aromatisse and Granbull are helpful so that Escavalier doesnt have to be completely reliant on Sleep Talk.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Camerupt, Houndoom, (AC) and Emboar resist at least one of Escavalier's STAB attacks and can annihilate it with their own STAB moves. However, they should all be wary of Drill Run. Delphox can work too, but due to a Bug neutrality, Dark weakness, and overall physical frailty, it's not as good as Mega Camerupt or Emboar.

**Physically bulky Bulky Pokemon**: Alomomola counters the Assault Vest set, but is 2HKOed by Choice Band Megahorn. Qwilfish resists both of Escavalier's STAB moves, softens up its attacks with Intimidate, can prevent the Swords Dance set from setting up with Taunt, and can set up Spikes on Escavalier. However, Qwilfish takes a solid amount of damage from Drill Run.

**Steel-types**: Cobalion and Mega Steelix are full counters to Escavalier lacking Drill Run. Cobalion can use Escavalier as setup fodder for Swords Dances and Mega Steelix can whittle it down with repeated Earthquakes or set (add space)up Curses against it. However, Choice Band Drill Run puts a massive hurt on both of these Pokemon.

**Burn**: Cofagrigus, Spiritomb, and Fletchinder can burn Escavalier and render it useless for the remainder of the match. Cofagrigus and Fletchinder can also set up on a burned Escavalier with Nasty Plot and Swords Dance, (AC) respectively.

**Fire-type Coverage Moves**: Most Pokemon with a Fire-type coverage moves pressure Escavalier. Common examples include Fire Punch Druddigon, Fire Blast Slowking, Hidden Power Fire Whimsicott, and Heat Wave Sigilyph.
GP 1/2
Implemented, thanks! There was one comma addition I didn't agree with, here:
"great teammates as, (AC) they appreciate Escavaliers wallbreaking."

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
holE escavalier got completely shat on with the tier changes, considering how it had a solid matchup at least to some degree versus all of the 6 pokemon the tier lost.
So yea I got around to updating this and I removed all mentions of those Pokemon ru lost, and if qc has any better examples in places where it might seem lacking (where there were mentions of the old mons) go ahead and let me know. I didnt really feel that escavalier has a good time versus any of the new drops, considering it has no business switching into noivern bc of flamethrower, banded flygons eq and scrafty hits it hard while esca cant do much back. Also updated to new format.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Escavalier's solid typing and overall bulk allows allow it to check the various Psychic-types in the tier. Despite its average movepool, Escavalier can perform multiple roles on a team, such as an Assault Vest tank, a Choice Band wallbreaker, or a late game sweeper with Swords Dance. Unfortunately, Escavalier's lack of reliable recovery hinders its ability to tank hits, and this is furthered by its awful Speed stat. Common Fire-types in the tier are major issues for Escavalier, as they resist both of Escavalier's STAB moves and can consistently pressure Escavalier.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move that hits hard and targets the Psychic-types that Escavalier that checks. Iron Head is Escavalier's secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum as well as Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Slurpuff Togetic. Pursuit provides important utility in trapping a fleeing Psychic- or Ghost-type such as Meloetta, Mesprit, Reuniclus, Bronzong, and Mismagius. Knock Off cripples Escavalier's typical switch-ins such as Alomomola and Qwilfish by removing their item. Drill Run can be used to target Fire- and Steel-types such as Emboar, Houdoom, and Cobalion.

Set Details
========

84 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Reuniclus. 248 HP EVs make Escavalier as bulky as possible while minimizing the damage taken from entry hazards. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to hit hard. Assault Vest bolsters Escavalier's Special Defense, making it a potent tank. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into weak or resisted special attacks and hit back hard with a strong STAB move or a coverage move. Knock Off can be spammed in the early-(AH)game, as it is very useful to cripple most of Escavalier's typical switch-ins, but should be used sparingly if your opponent has a Cobalion or Virizion, (AC) which would benefit benefit from taking the Dark-type attack. Escavalier should be kept away from Knock Off users, as losing its Assault Vest greatly hinders its ability as a pivot and tank.

Team Options
========

Teammates to handle Fire-types such as Delphox, Emboar, Mega Camerupt, and Houndoom, (RC) are necessary. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Qwilfish, and Jellicent check some of the aforementioned Pokemon those Fire-types (never say "aforementioned") to some degree. Alomomola also provides Wish support for Escavalier to somewhat mitigate its lack of recovery. Houndoom sets itself apart from the other two Fire-types in that it can easily muscle past Water-types with Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses, so other teammates such as Mega Camerupt, Rhyperior, and Emboar all fit this role. Dragon-type Pokemon such as Druddigon and Tyrantrum are also decent checks to Fire-type Pokemon and appreciate Escavalier's ability to threaten Fairy-types and switch into stray Ice-type attacks aimed at them.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Megahorn is a powerful STAB move, 2HKOing even bulky Pokemon such as Alomomola. Iron Head is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Fairy- and Rock-types such as Slurpuff, Togetic, (RC) and Tyrantrum. Pursuit deals massive damage to fleeing Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Mesprit. Drill Run hits Steel- and Fire-types such as Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Emboar, and Mega Camerupt. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used for general utility in removing the foe's item.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature is are used to hit as hard as possible, and while (subjective) a Choice Band amplifies Escavalier's power to exceptional levels. 84 Speed EVs let Escavalier outpace uninvested base 30 Speed Pokemon such as Reuniclus and Amoonuguss Amoonguss. Overcoat avoids Spore and Sleep Powder from the likes of Amoonguss and Tangrowth.

Usage Tips
========

Generally, Choice Band Escavalier is best used as a powerful wallbreaker early- to mid-game so that its teammates can clean up aftwerwards afterwards. Due to being choice Choice-locked, this set typically tends to be somewhat prediction reliant, as it is easy to take advantage of Escavalier locked into one of its STAB moves or a weak coverage move. Specifically, it is very easy to exploit Escavalier locked into Drill Run, so it should be used sparingly. However, it can be quite rewarding to hit Cobalion, Emboar, or Mega Steelix on the switch with Drill Run to aid a teammate that may struggle getting past them. Use Pursuit to trap fleeing Psychic-types, but the move should also be used sparingly if your opponent has a Pokemon that can set up on Escavalier locked into Pursuit, (AC) such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Fletchinder. Scout for Fire-type coverage moves from the likes of Druddigon, (RC) and Tangrowth, and Whismicott.

Team Options
========

Water-type Pokemon such as Samurott, Alomomola, and Seismitoad are excellent teammates because they tackle take on the Fire-types that bother Escavalier, while in return Escavalier threatens Grass-types with Megahorn. General setup sweepers such as Drapion, Tyrantrum, and Shiftry make for great teammates, as they appreciate Escavaliers Escavalier's wallbreaking. In addition, all of these Pokemon appreciate Escavalier luring in Mega Steelix with Drill Run so that they can have an easier time sweeping. Pokemon that can check or revenge kill Virizion and Cobalion, such as Fletchinder, Sigilyph, Choice Scarf Emboar, and Garbodor, (AC) are very helpful.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Swords Dance, this Escavalier set can slowly boost its way up to +6, hitting a monstrous 1232 Attack, (RC) and being able to heavily damage, if not outright OHKO, every common Pokemon on a defensive team. Rest is used to bring Escavalier back up to full health if it is getting worn down by moves such as Meloetta's Shadow Ball, while also alleviating any burns that may occur from moves such as Alomomola's Scald. Sleep Talk lets Escavalier gain Attack boosts as well as fire off launch (never say "fire off") attacks while it is still asleep from Rest. Megahorn is the actual attacking move, with a high base power Base Power and being at least neutral against a large amount of defensive Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The set uses maximum investment in Special Defense because Escavalier typically likes setting up on Calm Mind Psychic-types, (RC) and it already has impressive physical bulk. Leftovers provides passive recovery, aiding Escavalier in its role. A Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to outspeed threats in under (subjective) Trick Room such as Reuniclus and Rhyperior. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize damage taken from entry hazards. Overcoat makes Escavalier immune to Spore and Sleep Powder.

Usage Tips
========

Switch into Pokemon that Escavalier can set up on, such as Reuniclus and Amoonguss, and proceed to use Swords Dance until Escavalier gets worn down or statused inflict with Status. Usage of Rest and Sleep Talk is rather straightforward; Rest should be used to heal Escavalier and cleanse clear (subjective) it of any status ailments, and Sleep Talk should be used while asleep. These two moves also allow Escavalier to switch into and absorb status moves. It is important to get rid of Fire-type Pokemon such as Emboar and Mega Camerupt as well as Taunt users such as Drapion and Spiritomb before setting up, as they are significant roadblocks for Escavalier.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Torterra, and Mega Camerupt is helpful to dissuade Fire-types from repeatedly switching in. In addition, Spikes support from the likes of Qwilfish and Roselia quickly wear wears down Mega Steelix and Mega Camerupt, both common answers to Escavalier. Teammates to check Fire-type Pokemon, such as Lanturn, Alomomola, and Rhyperior, are solid partners. Due to how this set matches up well versus against defensive builds and struggles versus offensive teams, Pokemon that have a good matchup against offensive teams such as Choice Scarf Emboar, Fletchinder, and Jolteon pair well with Escavalier. Clerics such as Aromatisse and Granbull are helpful so that Escavalier doesnt doesn't have to be completely reliant on Sleep Talk.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Camerupt, Houndoom, and Emboar resist at least one of Escavalier's STAB attacks and can annihilate it with their own STAB moves. However, they should all be wary of Drill Run. Delphox can work too, but due to a its Bug neutrality, Dark weakness, and overall physical frailty, it's not as good as Mega Camerupt or Emboar.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Alomomola counters the Assault Vest set, but is 2HKOed by Choice Band Megahorn. Qwilfish resists both of Escavalier's STAB moves, softens up its attacks with Intimidate, can prevent the Swords Dance set from setting up with Taunt, and can set up Spikes on Escavalier. However, Qwilfish takes a solid amount of damage from Drill Run.

**Steel-types**: Cobalion and Mega Steelix are full counters to Escavalier lacking Drill Run. Cobalion can use Escavalier as setup fodder for Swords Dances and Mega Steelix can whittle it down with repeated Earthquakes or setup Curses set up Curse against it. However, Choice Band Drill Run puts a massive hurt on dent in both of these Pokemon.

**Burn Burns**: Cofagrigus, Spiritomb, and Fletchinder can burn Escavalier and render it useless for the remainder of the match. Cofagrigus and Fletchinder can also set up on a burned Escavalier with Nasty Plot and Swords Dance, respectively.

**Fire-type Coverage Moves**: Most Pokemon with a Fire-type coverage moves pressure Escavalier. Common examples include Fire Punch Druddigon and Heat Wave Sigilyph.

GP 2/2
XMjBx4g.gif

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)