Escavalier

This guy seems so badass I figured he deserves his own thread.

Bug/Steel
Swarm/Shell Armor/Dustproof
70/135/105/60/105/20

Lv1: Peck, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: [M501], Lv1: Twineedle, Lv4: Leer, Lv8: [M501], Lv13: Twineedle, Lv16: Fury Attack, Lv20: Headbutt, Lv25: False Swipe, Lv28: Bug Buzz, Lv32: Slash, Lv37: Iron Head, Lv40: Iron Defense, Lv44: X-Scissor, Lv49: Reversal, Lv52: Swords Dance, Lv56: Giga Impact

[M501]: Other Fighting PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: ---Effect: Protects your team from priority moves. Will fail if used in succession.

TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM54 - False Swipe, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM76 - Bug Resistance, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut

Megahorn
Pursuit
Counter
Horn Attack
Faint Attack
Bug Bite
Screech
Knock Off

The typing and stats make it similar to Scizor, but stronger and overall bulkier. It also has the strongest (STAB) Megahorn in the game, which certainly is an advantage over Scizor. I think his main usage will be in Trick Room, where he provides an essential Ghost/Dark resist and can set up Swords Dances while being one of the "fastest" Pokemon around.

Potentially viable sets:
Swords Dance:
Swarm | Brave/Adamant | 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
~ Swords Dance
~ Megahorn
~Iron Head
~ Return/Substitute

Another example of fantastic stats, bad movepool; but at least it gets SD'd STAB Megahorn (which may be all it needs?). Iron Head for STAB and Return or Substitute for filler.

Choice Band:
Swarm | Adamant | 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
~ Megahorn
~ Iron Head
~ Pursuit
~ Return/Toxic

Just enough coverage for four moves to use a choice set. Super strong Megahorn again, with Iron Head as secondary STAB. Pursuit will be lethal off that attack with Choice Band, and Return or Toxic are filler essentially.

Pokemon No. 589 (I assume that is this guy)

Learnable TMs: , TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM54 - False Swipe, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM76 - Bug Resistance, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut

A Choice Band set similar to Scizor could also be effective, with less emphasis on revenging and more on bulky onslaughts:

Shubarudo@Choice Band
Adamant; 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD

Pursuit
Megahorn
Iron Head
Twineedle

Pursuit allows it to act just like Scizor does in trapping the likes of Starmie and Latias, while its STABs provide power. Twineedle rounds out the set by allowing it to break substitutes and possibly poison something. A SD set will probably remain most viable, though, featuring SD/Iron Head/Megahorn/Pursuit.

This is one mon I've been keeping an eye on lately. He's defiantly going to see use as a bulky platform for SD and will be a big go-to for Trick Room teams. I've been looking for an excuse to exploit those beautiful resistances and stats to a defensive support set. Knock Off and Toxic are there at least.

Rock Smash over Swords Dance to hit Heatran and run Substitute over Return. Its pretty sad, but has better coverage than Return would and lets you take Heatran down in 3 hits if you're lucky. 2 Hits if you don't run Leftovers.

Seems like gamefreak took into consideration trick room, if it isnt on in it's movepool, with this one.
Even without trick room it still has potential to do work in standard game play. It's bulk allow it to survive alot. Counter and Aerial Ace should be highlighted seeing as there are alot of pokemon with high base attacks and fighting are going to make a stand. Not only can it deal with the Dark/Dragon but it also has pursuit to hurt psychics who might rise due to the fightings.

I think Scizor outclasses it a bit, thanks to Bullet Punch and the ability to scout via U-Turn. Still, this guy has a bit more attack and much more bulk which does help.

Rock Smash over Swords Dance to hit Heatran and run Substitute over Return. Its pretty sad, but has better coverage than Return would and lets you take Heatran down in 3 hits if you're lucky. 2 Hits if you don't run Leftovers.
Tbh I'd rather just gtfo against Heatran. You 2HKO it while it would easily OHKO you.
Even without trick room it still has potential to do work in standard game play. It's bulk allow it to survive alot. Counter and Aerial Ace should be highlighted seeing as there are alot of pokemon with high base attacks and fighting are going to make a stand. Not only can it deal with the Dark/Dragon but it also has pursuit to hurt psychics who might rise due to the fightings.
I didn't bother with Counter since it's so bulky it wouldn't be very effective, especially since it's bulky via defensive stats rather than HP. Aerial Ace could be used but a super effective Aerial Ace hits for 120 while a neutral Megahorn is hitting 180, and when you take into account that Aerial Ace really only helps against Fighting types I'd rather smack it with STAB Iron Head (120 power also, and can flinch if you're in Trick Room).

Crud... Lack of Gyro Ball put the nail in the coffin on this one. That 20 base speed really had my hopes up, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a tutor in Grey.

Its better than the 15-20% you do to Heatran with Return. Meh, its an option. At least Zapdos / Gyarados are Stealth Rock weak, Heatran just eats you alive. Rock Smash lets you 3HKO it (2HKO if you get RELLY lucky or it runs Hasty).

Crazy attack, and awesome defensive stats. His 20 base speed would sentence him to oblivion if it weren't for his good defensive typing and stats letting him soak up some hits.

He unfortunately suffers from a shallow movepool (But an awesome design 8D) and if you're going with a Swords Dance set, it'll need some support clearing out stuff like Heatran who resists his STABs (Which are really the only good attacks he has working for him). When you have to resort to Rock Smash for coverage, something is wrong lol. He gets Poison Jab, but I don't think that helps his problem much. Here's to another Scizor effect and a couple random tutors in the 3rd game grant him a few attacks that will make him more effective.

Movesets:

@ Life Orb
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Return / Pursuit

+2 Rock Smash will 2HKO max HP / Max Def Heatran. But what are the chances of being able to pull off a Swords Dance and then a Rock Smash before Heatran obliterates Shubarugo? lol. There is not point in trying to do deal with Heatran by itself, so Pursuit is a better option. He's pretty bulky with 70/105/105 and has a bunch of resistances to abuse to force out something and nail it with Pursuit. Can come in on Blissey's TWave cause who -speed means nothing to Shubarugo.

@ Choice Band
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Return
- Pursuit / Rock Smash

I think this set is much more effective than the a Swords Dance set, because Shuga just doesn't have the speed needed to carry on a sweep (Especially with such poor coverage!). Rips shit up with his STAB, and is looks to be a pretty cool Pursuit user. But [say you already have a Pursuit-er] Rock Smash is a "decent" alternative (.... errr) to nail Heatran switch ins :s I think it's only a 3HKO, so it's nothing amazing but good enough.

I don't see much discussion about it's defensive potential here. As it is a bit outclassed by Scizor in the offensive departement it might find it's own niche there. I have to admit though that it's support movepool isn't big namely Toxic, Rain Dance, Rest and Knock Off.

It does have that sick STAB Megahorn coming off of that huge base Attack. <3

:/

No one read my post. Substitute / Megahorn / Iron Head / Rock Smash. He's too slow and the 4x Fire weak has a big target painted over his slow ass face makes him too vulnerable to Swords Dance.

:/

No one read my post. Substitute / Megahorn / Iron Head / Rock Smash. He's too slow and the 4x Fire weak has a big target painted over his slow ass face makes him too vulnerable to Swords Dance.
I read your post and totally agree with you. 20 base Speed and Swords Dance? No thank you.

Looks like a half-assed fusion of Scizor and Heracross.

The defenses are only mediocre, and sure the attack is awesome, but no speed and no good priority are the nails in his coffin.

Maybe he'll be good in UU, but he has no place in OU.

Looks like a half-assed fusion of Scizor and Heracross.

The defenses are only mediocre, and sure the attack is awesome, but no speed and no good priority are the nails in his coffin.

Maybe he'll be good in UU, but he has no place in OU.
no point in talking tiers, nobody has been competitively played with any of these 'mons !_! I thought the whole point of opening these topics was to theorymon effective strategies as your "thought" of UU/OU is Gen4 UU/OU which is completely irrelevant

the more I think about it, the more a SD set seems less and less viable lol

Eh. His attack may not be massively higher than Scizor's, but keep in mind Scizor has U-Turn.

This guy has Megahorn.

That would instantly shatter any psychic, dark or grass type I can think of. But not much else. :C

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can actualy see this guy functioning quite well with Pursuit. Arguably Scizor can challenge him with this role but having much better defensive stats lets this guy take hits better 9if your opponent stays in). Still I have to admit that this guys niche looks small.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)