Escavalier

No Gyro Ball = No usage of Escavalier.

I will start using him as soon as he gets Gyro Ball though.
Dude, Gyro Ball wouldn't help him in the slightest. As said before, this guy is created with one, amazing upside; the strongest Megahorn in the game. Coupled with Pursuit, this makes him one of the best psychic counters, and THE best Reuniclus counter.

breh

強いだね
Gyro Ball actually would be a big boon to it. Neutral no speed 31 IV base 46 Pokemon are hit with a Gyro Ball of power equal to that of Iron Head.

Essentially, practically nothing exists that you would both use Iron Head on and is slower than base 46.

I'm not saying it's a necessity, but it would definitely be nice... Superpower would be more important though.

Gyro Ball actually would be a big boon to it. Neutral no speed 31 IV base 46 Pokemon are hit with a Gyro Ball of power equal to that of Iron Head.

Essentially, practically nothing exists that you would both use Iron Head on and is slower than base 46.

I'm not saying it's a necessity, but it would definitely be nice... Superpower would be more important though.
A friend of mine suggested HP Fighting.

I didn't know what to say in reply.

Maybe this can work?

Escavalier @ Custap Berry
Evs: 252 hp/ 252 Atk/ 6 def
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Swarm
-Substitute
-Reversal
-Megahorn
-Iron Head/Swords Dance

The goal here is to sub until you have low life. Since it's so slow, it will nearly guarantee the sub. Let Custap activate, attack with a very strong Reversal/Swarm boosted Megahorn, hope to KO while the sub is still intact for another round.
Of course, you would want your opponent to switch in something that Shubarugo can deal with Reversal (or even Megahorn).
Though this means Escavalier is useless right after (unless you manage to pass a Wish or use Lunar Dance/Healing Wish), it also means high chances of KOing 2 pokes in exchange.
And of course, you can always attack after putting a Sub...

My Escavalier:heart: has:
-Adamant nature
-25 Atk stat IV's
-255 Atk EV's
=399/405 Atk
-Swarm Ability
Moves:
-Megahorn
-Giga Impact
-Iron Head
-Swords Dance
Item:
Quick Claw

:toast:

^ Replace Giga Impact with Reversal/Return, Giga Impact does not provide any coverage, and can leave you open to set up sweepers or be killed during the charge up turn.

If only Escavalier actually had a usable movepool outside of Bug/Steel Stab attacks, Return, Rock Smash, and Reversal. A good move like Earthquake, Close Combat, or Flare Blitz can seriously make this guy a lot more useful.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
^ Replace Giga Impact with Reversal/Return, Giga Impact does not provide any coverage, and can leave you open to set up sweepers or be killed during the charge up turn.

If only Escavalier actually had a usable movepool outside of Bug/Steel Stab attacks, Return, Rock Smash, and Reversal. A good move like Earthquake, Close Combat, or Flare Blitz can seriously make this guy a lot more useful.
And as unique as Escavalier is, you'd think that Game Freak would give the chivalric beetle his own unique attack of some sort... but no such luck. Megahorn is really all he has. His movepool is severely holding him back, but I'm predicting the 3rd game will bring some useful Move Tutors, or give Escavalier a new Egg move. Namely, Superpower. It seems more likely than CC, considering Scizor, and would be extremely useful.

Still, I think Scizor somewhat outclasses Escavalier. Scizor has the Technician Bullet Punch to bypass its slow speed, and has Superpower/U-Turn in its arsenal. However, Escavalier is more bulky, and probably functions best under trick room conditions.

Still, I think Scizor somewhat outclasses Escavalier. Scizor has the Technician Bullet Punch to bypass its slow speed, and has Superpower/U-Turn in its arsenal. However, Escavalier is more bulky, and probably functions best under trick room conditions.
I don't know, I mean it's not as if they both aim to do the same thing (unless you do a choice band esca/and or scizor in which case they are) so its not as if they are competing for roles most of the time.

Both are bulky physical attackers that aim to hit the opponent hard. Esca and Scizor can both run a swords dance set that aims to sweep, and both can run a CB set. They can also both run a bulky spread. Scizor just does almost everything better.

._.

Both are bulky physical attackers that aim to hit the opponent hard. Esca and Scizor can both run a swords dance set that aims to sweep, and both can run a CB set. They can also both run a bulky spread. Scizor just does almost everything better.

._.
Does he take hits better?
Is he better on a trick room team?
Does he have a 120 BP Stab?

Also, he doesn't fear being paralyzed like Scizor.

Not only that, but he destroy's trick room teams mainly by destroying all trick room starters, and because he's so slow, can use that TR to his advantage. Nothing likes a 405/120BP stab attack hitting them first, scizor can't do that.

And Escavalier’s high special defense allows it to switch in to Latios’ Choice Specs Draco Meteor and maim it with Pursuit as it switches out. Even if Latios decides to Surf instead, Escavalier survives two Surfs and KOs back with Megahorn. Scizor can't do that.

Plus he gets counter, which would allow him to say, maim Gyarados and make them think twice about setting up on Escavalier, and in general is useful vs. physical attackers when you can pretty much survive any hit with ease. Can you Remind me how well Scizor does against Gyarados, or Zapdos?

I mean, you're kind of doing a dragonite vs salamence.
One's faster, one's bulkier, etc.

Sure they can perform the same roles, but that doesn't mean you should, and if you do, they go about that same role in different ways.

It's obvious scizor does some things better, but Esca' also does some things better.

Their stat placements are almost completely different also.

If you're going to disregard this guy simply because their is another one like it, why are you here?

Escavalier’s STAB Megahorn and higher special defense allow it to carve a niche into the metagame that is usually very different from scizor.

(I'm not trying to start a fight just for the record, just stating my case)

Does he take hits better?
Is he better on a trick room team?
Does he have a 120 BP Stab?
I basically said this in my earlier post.

Plus he gets counter, which would allow him to say, maim Gyarados and make them think twice about setting up on Escavalier, and in general is useful vs. physical attackers when you can pretty much survive any hit with ease. Can you Remind me how well Scizor does against Gyarados, or Zapdos?
Counter does nothing to help Escavalier. He becomes set up fodder to Gyarados and others and isn't useful in any case. Gyarados is able to set up to +6 and completely maim esca with waterfall. Counter can help in places here and there, but not all the time. Also, Escavalier can't do anything to zapdos either.

I mean, you're kind of doing a dragonite vs salamence.
One's faster, one's bulkier, etc.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to aim for. But let's be honest here, salamence is better than dragonite at sweeping. It always was. Ever since 3rd gen. Dragonite just had a few niches that Salamence didn't, which is why it still had some usage. Dragonite had more bulk than salamence, had heal bell, thunder wave, screens, extremespeed, bolt beam, super power, fire punch, focus punch, and outrage (until platinum came out). That is more than enough to distinguish it from salamence. Escavalier does not have enough niches to make it stand out from scizor. It may be bulkier, and has megahorn, but why would you consider ever running Escavalier over Scizor (besides TR)? Scizor is flat out better (and also has the ability to scout, revenge kill, and bypass its slow speed). If it wasn't, you would see Escavalier have more usage than Scizor.

Counter does nothing to help Escavalier. He becomes set up fodder to Gyarados and others and isn't useful in any case. Gyarados is able to set up to +6 and completely maim esca with waterfall. Counter can help in places here and there, but not all the time. Also, Escavalier can't do anything to zapdos either.
That's under the assumption that the opponent knows you have Counter...which they wouldn't, unless for some reason Escavalier with Counter became popularized, which I don't think it would to a degree in which an opponent would be cautious of it.

If I were faced with a Escavalier, I wouldn't +6 to try and sweep unless I knew my opponent was stupid enough to let me do it, or he didn't have any other outs. In which case, who cares. It wouldn't be safe to try that. I'd be more than likely to try and get a +1-3, and try to hit hard with a STAB move, in which case Counter would help.

If I were faced with a Escavalier, I wouldn't +6 to try and sweep unless I knew my opponent was stupid enough to let me do it, or he didn't have any other outs. In which case, who cares. It wouldn't be safe to try that. I'd be more than likely to try and get a +1-3, and try to hit hard with a STAB move, in which case Counter would help.
The thing is, it is safe to do it to Escavalier. After an intimidate, escavalier's strongest attack is Return against Gyara, which is a 2-3HKO to 4/0 gyarados. Offensive Gyarados after a +1 is able to OHKO 252/4 Escavalier with stealth rock support with waterfall.

The thing is, it is safe to do it to Escavalier. After an intimidate, escavalier's strongest attack is Return against Gyara, which is a 2-3HKO to 4/0 defense gyarados. Bulky Gyarados after a +1 is able to OHKO Escavalier with stealth rock support with waterfall.
Oh, really? Never mind then. I overestimated Escavaliers defenses.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Bulky Gyarados after a +1 is able to OHKO 252/4 Escavalier with stealth rock support with waterfall.
dunno what Bulky Gyara is running these days but...

252 Atk Adamant +1 Waterfall vs 252/4 Escavalier = 58% - 68%

don't make shit up please.

I'm not making shit up. And I meant to say offensive gyara.

I'm pretty sure that +1 252 adamant gyara with waterfall does around 300 damage of HP to escavalier. And escavalier had a max of around 350 hp.

But I was using marriland's calculator. Or I might have messed up. Sorry about that. Or maybe the damage calculation changed for 5th gen. I'm not sure.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to aim for. But let's be honest here, salamence is better than dragonite at sweeping. It always was. Ever since 3rd gen. Dragonite just had a few niches that Salamence didn't, which is why it still had some usage. Dragonite had more bulk than salamence, had heal bell, thunder wave, screens, extremespeed, bolt beam, super power, fire punch, focus punch, and outrage (until platinum came out). That is more than enough to distinguish it from salamence. Escavalier does not have enough niches to make it stand out from scizor. It may be bulkier, and has megahorn, but why would you consider ever running Escavalier over Scizor (besides TR)? Scizor is flat out better (and also has the ability to scout, revenge kill, and bypass its slow speed). If it wasn't, you would see Escavalier have more usage than Scizor.
Why would I ever consider running Escavalier over Scizor?

Did he like 6-0 your team or something? Are you butthurt?

If not, then the reason is because IMO, I like him more, and I'd rather have a bulky/hardhitter then a scout which I already have filled on my team.

If you refer to a video I posted earlier in this thread, you'd see exactly what I mean.

Scizor is not flat out better, if it was then we wouldn't even be discussing this, we'd be in total agreement.

The thing is, it is safe to do it to Escavalier. After an intimidate, escavalier's strongest attack is Return against Gyara, which is a 2-3HKO to 4/0 gyarados. Offensive Gyarados after a +1 is able to OHKO 252/4 Escavalier with stealth rock support with waterfall.
Don't make stats up.
*edit ninja'd*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)