Espeon [0/2 QC]

[Overview]

<p>With a fantastic base SpA of 130 and Spe of 110, Espeon is nothing to laugh about. However, in the presence of Latios, Espeon is outclassed; Latios has a superior movepool and defensive stats. However, you should not stay clear of Espeon for it still has a niche. Magic Mirror, Espeon’s ace, deflects status moves that would target it back to its user. Thus, with Espeon on your team, your opponent must be wary of using Taunt or Thunder Wave to disable your pokemon in fear of Espeon deflecting it back
</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Hidden Power Fighting / Shadow Ball / Signal Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Shadow Ball / Signal Beam
move 4: Detect
item: Focus Sash / Psychic Gem
ability: Magic Bounce / Synchronise
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a great Special Attack and Speed, Espeon has the stats to sweep. However, with a limited offensive movepool, this is what it can manage. Psychic is Espeon’s strongest STAB move as well as its most reliable way of doing damage. Hidden Power Fighting widens Espeon’s coverage, allowing it to hit Dark-Types, who are not affected by Psychic. Alternatively, Signal Beam can be used instead of Hidden Power Fighting as a stronger way to hit Dark-Types, but Hidden Power Fighting hits common Tyranitar for quadruple damage, and Signal Beam can be only used with Synchronise. Shadow Ball should also be considered because it is puts a dent in those Ghost-Types who threaten Espeon. In addition, Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting provides an unresisted type combo to Espeon. Detect is staple move in VGC 2012, as it allows Espeon to scout as well as protect itself from any damage, which is a godsend due to Espeon’s terrible defenses.
</p>

<p>Due to frail defenses, Focus Sash is the recommended item for Espeon as it allows Espeon to take a hit and hit back before fainting. However, if another member of your team needs the Focus Sash, Psychic Gem is an alternative to Focus Sash as it allows Espeon to cause major damage with a boosted STAB Psychic.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> In order to take advantage of its high Special Attack and Speed stats, 252 Evs are placed in both its Special Attack and Speed. 252 Special Attack Evs allow Espeon to hit with full throttle, and with a Timid nature this allows Espeon to speed tie with Latios and Latias, as well as outspeed max speed Terrakion and Infernape. A Modest nature may be used in order to hit harder, but bear in mind that with a Modest nature Espeon will be unable to outspeed or speed tie with the above threats.
</p>

<p> It is recommended to use a Magic Mirror Espeon over a Synchonise Espeon. Compared to Magic Mirror, Espeon will deflect any status move that your opponent throws at it, whenever it is a Spore, Thunder Wave, Encore or even a Taunt. This means that Espeon cannot be have any status conditions unless through indirect means, such as a paralysis from a Thunderbolt, but the chances of that occurring is rare. Synchronise, although leaves the opponent statused, doesn’t protect Espeon from the status itself. Furthermore, Synchronise works only when Espeon is burned, paralyzed or poison. However, if you are using Signal Beam, you have to use Synchonise.
</p>

<p> Fighting-types such as Infernape or Hitmontop are great partners to Espeon as they both threaten Tyranitar, a giant threat to Espeon, by outspeeding and KOing it with a Close Combat. In addition, another of Espeon’s threat, Scizor, is handled by Infernape’s Heat Wave or Hitmontop’s Intimidate, lowering Scizor’s Attack by 1.
</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Grass Knot and Quick Attack can be used, Grass Knot providing coverage against Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types, while Quick Attack can take out pesky Focus Sash Pokemon. Despite having a non-existing offensive movepool, Espeon does have support options. It can set up Light Screen or Reflect, use Helping Hand to boost its Partner’s attack, or set up Sunny Day and Rain Dance if using Espeon in conjunction with a weather team. Trick Espeon can be used with a Choice Scarf to become a faster sweeper, as well as cripple support Pokemon such as Cresselia and other Trick Room Pokemon. Speaking of Trick Room, Espeon can use Trick Room against teams that focus on high speeds, such as teams using Tailwind. However, these sets are inferior to other Psychic-Types such as Cresselia and Latios. But, Espeon can use Charm, Fake Tears, and Tickle to cripple the opposing Pokemon’s stats unlike Latios. Last, Yawn can be used to force a switch.
</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> With a frail Defense stat and weakness to Dark- and Bug-Types, Scizor and Tyranitar are two common threats to Espeon. With weak coverage moves against those two types, Espeon is helpless. In addition, any strong physical attack can hamper Espeon’s sweep. Bulky pokemon, especially Steel-Types, can handle Espeon’s attacks and retaliate back. </p>

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I would expand on Trick Room in other options. Espeon is really fast but with Iron Ball you can get to 51 speed (under TR jelly and Abomasnow and Scrafty) and be immune to taunts, thunder waves, and spores which can disrupt setting TR. Just have to worry about its weak physical defenses which a fake out/follow me user can help with. Gives it an interesting niche when deciding how to set up TR.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If Magic Bounce is its niche there is no reason to mention Synchronize. With no Synchronize there is no reason to have Signal Beam, which means you don't need slashes.

Magic Bounce .is. its niche. There is no reason to run Synchronize Espeon over Alakazam or any number of other better fast Special attackers.

I would expand on Trick Room in other options. Espeon is really fast but with Iron Ball you can get to 51 speed (under TR jelly and Abomasnow and Scrafty) and be immune to taunts, thunder waves, and spores which can disrupt setting TR. Just have to worry about its weak physical defenses which a fake out/follow me user can help with. Gives it an interesting niche when deciding how to set up TR.
Building off of this, TR espeon is just great, I've had many a battle where my opponent tries to status/taunt/encore/mess with espeon and then realized "oh, magic bounce"
it's also great to keep in the back and switch in when you have a standard tr lead like scruffy + dusclops and then switch it in when your opponent tries to status/taunt you, and bounce the status back onto them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)