Pokémon Espeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espeon
Type: Psychic
Classification: Sun Pokemon
Base Stats: 65/65/60/130/95/110

Abilities:
Synchronize: When this Pokémon becomes POISON, PARALYZE, or BURN, so does the opponent.
Hidden Ability(Available):
Magic Bounce: It can reflect the effect of stat-changing moves.

Notable Moves:

Morning Sun

Psychic
Psyshock
Calm Mind
Hidden Power

Light Screen
Shadow Ball
Reflect
Dazzling Gleam
Stored Power
Baton Pass

General Analysis:

Before Generation 5, Espeon was viewed upon as the cutest Eeveelution and even the cutest Pokemon and nothing more. However, Genereation 5 brought Hidden Abilities, and Espeon got one of the arguably best ones in Magic Bounce. Reflecting back Stealth Rocks, Toxic, Thunder Wave, any stat changing move, made Espeon a great lead. Some people were even calling Espeon to be called up to Ubers near the end of Generation 5. However, in Generation 6, Espeon lost a lot. An OU metagame that still has status, but not as many Stealth Rocks, lessened usage of Espeon. Hidden Power got nerfed, which was Espeon's coverage move on most sets. Generation 6 also brought three terrific Ghosts to the metagame in Aegislash, Trevenant, and Gourgeist. Tyranitar also gets Assault Vest, making his Special Defense skyrocket in sandstorm. Does Espeon still have a place in the OU metagame? Or was it's glory short-lived? Discuss.

Potential Movesets:

Generation 5 Lead

Espeon @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun / Wish
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

This was the Espeon I encountered most in my Pokemon Showdown days in 5th Generation OU. It was a great lead, and (I think) could even get a 2HKO on Tyranitar after +1 Hidden Power [Fighting]. It was also great for switching into a predicted Toxic, and poisoning the opponent.

Generation 6 Attacker
Suggested by Toad0234

Espeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball

Although generally outclassed by Alakazam, an attacking Espeon will certainly surprise you opponent. Dazzling Gleam is boosted to extreme power levels after LO, and serves as a check to Dragons. Psyshock or Psychic is to be used as STAB, Grass Knot and Shadow Ball for coverage.

Support Espeon
Suggested by Tathens

Espeon @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic/Psyshock/Dazzling Gleam
- Yawn

Usually the ultimate lead, but can play massive support if you have great prediction skills. Yawn is there to phase out the powerhouse Pokemon and if they don't switch out, it becomes one more Pokemon to not worry about for at least a few turns.

Baton Pass Espeon
Suggested by Aquaslash

Espeon Leftovers
4HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

Generally, the idea is that it either hard switches in to bounce back hazards, or it comes in mid game. Dazzling Gleam is purely for Dark types that are immune to Stored Power and is decent coverage all around. Baton Pass has a number of uses. It can pass to an incoming Pokemon to stomach an attack that they're immune to and possibly get some recovery.

Discuss whether Espeon still has a place in OU.

Last edited:
Right now I'm running an all out special sweeper. I'm using klefki as a lead but when I expect someone to throw out a status move with their lead, I get the free switch for espeon. I'm running
Espeon Life orb
Timid nature
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
-dazzling gleam
-psyshock/psychic
-grass knot
-shadow ball

Basically, dazzling gleam is a fairly mediocre move but coming off of Espeon's amazing SpA stat boosted by life orb, it allows it to check dragons as well as countering its own dark weakness. Shadow ball allows it to check other psychic types as well as ghosts. Psyshock is good for the special walls sent in to combat you but psychic is also useful if special walls don't worry you for whatever reason. And finally grass knot is for bulky water types such as Mega Blastoise or just other heavy Pokemon like Hippo. Overall it's allowed me to sweep alot of unprepared teams and catch them by surprise when they try and switch in their dark type counter and get nailed hard by dazzling gleam.

Espeon niche as an alternative to rapid spin is now more or less worthless since defog exists and excadrill is back. Rather, it should abuse its other niche of reflecting taunt/phazing moves for baton pass teams. That is, the stored power set which focus on getting boosts from partners and coming in when the opponent tries to break the chain. This thing has nothing over alakazam in the offensive department, so i dont see the reason to even bother with it.

^^better HP and Def stat. Alakazam is almost required to go focus sash or else it is too easily KO'd. Espeon also has the ability to switch in freely against status moves, as well as reflecting them back at your opponent. Espeon has slightly (albeit very slightly) better bulk and more switch in opportunities than alakazam does. They perform a similar role but espeon has the bare minimum bulk that I think is necessary to be able to forego a focus sash for life orb

^^better HP and Def stat. Alakazam is almost required to go focus sash or else it is too easily KO'd. Espeon also has the ability to switch in freely against status moves, as well as reflecting them back at your opponent. Espeon has slightly (albeit very slightly) better bulk and more switch in opportunities than alakazam does. They perform a similar role but espeon has the bare minimum bulk that I think is necessary to be able to forego a focus sash for life orb

That said, this isnt even a good set to begin with, yet its infinitely superior to any offensive espeon by a long shot.

In line with the Brawl's post, Espeon will always have a niche as the core of many baton pass teams. Not only for having access to the snowball that is Stored Power, but for also being able to build up chains and keep them going. Dazzling Gleam is a great addition to it's move pool because now it can run HP fire and still have a sold answer to dark types.

Also, in a slight off topic moment, shiny espeon is really really pretty this gen. Love the emerald color.

Baton Pass teams is where Espeon is supposed to be now. Even Unaware pokes can't handle it (since they can't Toxic and Stored Power boosts ignores it).
That said, saying Espeon is more or less worthless isn't true. Remember, Magic Mirror not only stops hazards, it also reflects them back, so actually not only it stops SR/Spikes/Toxic Spikes but also sets them up on the opponent's field. All on a single turn. Defog is easier to use though, that's true.

No don't get me wrong, alakazam will always hit harder. But any alakazam, mega or not, has virtually no switch in opportunities ever. As well as foregoing a mega slot for zam, or losing out on power due to lack of life orb. I'm not saying it's the best set, it is outclassed by alot. That said, it does have a niche and has helped me out quite a bit.

Now as far as stored power goes, a baton pass chain with scolipede works great, allowing for potentially up to 3 boosts per turn. And if you're running an iron defense set, extra defense as well as speed is very beneficial to espeon, and with stored power becoming base 120 if (protect, boost, protect, pass), espeon will just about destroy everything it comes across

What would a Baton Pass set look like? I don't run Baton Pass teams so I'm just curious as to how they work and how Espeon fits in one.

No don't get me wrong, alakazam will always hit harder. But any alakazam, mega or not, has virtually no switch in opportunities ever. As well as foregoing a mega slot for zam, or losing out on power due to lack of life orb. I'm not saying it's the best set, it is outclassed by alot. That said, it does have a niche and has helped me out quite a bit.

Now as far as stored power goes, a baton pass chain with scolipede works great, allowing for potentially up to 3 boosts per turn. And if you're running an iron defense set, extra defense as well as speed is very beneficial to espeon, and with stored power becoming base 120 if (protect, boost, protect, pass), espeon will just about destroy everything it comes across
Mega Alakazam has the same bulk as espeon while not taking any life orb recoil but i see where you coming. I just dont feel the point of suggesting sets for a pokemon when theres something out there that do that set better. By focusing on espeon baton pass capabilities we can drastically improve its viability and carve it an unique (and extremely potent) niche. Espeon certainly has potential, but ''calm mind attacker'' is certainly not how its going to reach it.

Oh yeah espeon shouldn't be setting itself up. It doesn't have the bulk for that. Although I'm trying to find a way to efficiently baton pass tail glow from volbeat to espeon, with possibly scolipede in the middle for speed boosts. With a modest nature and those boosts, espeon outspeeds almost everything and can one shot specially defensive blissey with psyshock. Then run dazzling gleam and HP fire, and you should be able to handle everything that comes your way. HP for steels, gleam for darks that are immune to stored power, and then special walls die to psyshock, while everything else is nuked by stored power

Fuck, the other night, someone ran a Choice Specs Dazzling Gleam against me lol Dented my fucking team since it basically hits nearly everything for neutral damage.

Personally, since Gen 6 (let alone any other fucking gen) Hidden Powers are a pain to breed, I run this set:

Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid - Magic Bounce
252 HP / 6 SpA / 252 Spe
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psyshock/Dazzling Gleam
-Yawn

Usually the ultimate lead, but can play massive support if you have great prediction skillz. Yawn is there to phaze out the boss pokemons and if they don't switch out +1 pokemon to not worry about for a few turns ;)

ive been using this set for months. works like a charm

magic bounce
modest
4hp/252 sp.a/252 speed
focus sash
psyshok
dazzling gleam
light screen
reflect

supports my team and hits hard

My Baton Pass set is like this:

Espeon (Jake) Leftovers
Modest - Magic Bounce
4HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Dazzling Gleam
Stored Power

Generally, the idea is that he either hard switches in to bounce back hazards, or he comes in mid game after receiving some acid armors from vaporeon and an agility from Jolteon. On really good days, he'll come in with a sub from Umbreon. At that point, Stored Power is already ridiculous, and he can boost it furthermore to increase the win condition. Dazzling Gleam is purely for Dark types that are immune to Stored Power and is decent coverage all around. Baton Pass has a number of uses. He can either pass to vaporeon, sylveon, jolteon, or umbreon to stomach an incoming attack that they're immune to and possibly get some recovery, or he passes to flareon, who at that point cleans up everything.

It worked pretty well all last gen, and has gotten even better this gen. Granted, some things out there will maul you regardless. Also a bold nature can work to boost up your defense a little, and hidden power fire is a very good option to deal with bugs like scizor.

Right now my best set is Non Lead with
Full HP + Speed EVS Timid
Leftovers
-Calm Mind
-Reflect
-Dazzling Gleam
-Baton Pass

It's weird, but I get so many chances to switch in to bounce back hazards or status inflictors. Also people forget Espeon has Magic Bounce which usually gives me a free switch in to Spore or SR. Depending on what their team has on the next turn I will usually Calm Mind then Baton Pass it to whatever they bring in to counter me. If it is a Dragon or Dark I will try to predict and go for DG which usually will lead to a 2HKO since Espeon is faster than most of it's counters. Sometimes I throw down reflect and switch out if I know their counter will completely wall my set.

I am thinking of just sticking with straight support and setting up for my sweeper to come in and set up. Yawn seems like it could be a lot of fun to play around with for Lead sets. Is Espeon fast enough tho to counter most leads?

I don't run Psychic because I never get the chance to use it because they almost always switch into something that resists Psychic.

EDIT:
Also has anyone played with Baton Passing stuff too Espeon? Like Tail Glow, Sub and/or Speed boosts? If so what do you think would be good coverage moves? DG, Psyshook and something for steal types? I am wondering what the chances are of this working since once you start boosting they will switch in a status move or try to roar you out. That's when you baton pass Espeon in and go to town with your boosted Speed and Sp. Atk. The main problem would be priority based Physcal moves. Maybe have Reflect in the 4th slot?

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Eevee learns Baby-Doll Eyes by level-up now, so all of the Eeveelutions learn it. Espeon might be able to make use of this move:

Espeon @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA (maybe some Speed?)
Impish
Magic Bounce

Baby-Doll Eyes
Morning Sun
Psychic
Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / HP Fire

I'm not really much of an Espeon user. I loved it back in Gen2, raised one in Gold&Silver, thought it was cool, but...

Espeon has always seemed awkward to me. A fast, frail Psychic-type with an ability that'd be much better suited on something bulky that can switch into stuff without fearing a KO? It just became one of those frail, generic Psychics to me. It just happened to have a great ability. Now that we have Mega Absol (who learns Baton Pass too), Espeon might be in trouble.

A defensive set like the one above would be good for stuff like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, who can't really do anything to it. Then again, maybe this is a bad set, and Espeon's better at offensive roles. I really don't know.

Eevee learns Baby-Doll Eyes by level-up now, so all of the Eeveelutions learn it.
Thanks for this, I was doing all sorts of weird crap to make my Espeon a better counter to physical attacker leads, now I won't have to.

EDIT: These are the tweaks I made to the set (you also accidentally used Impish nature when you should have used Bold):

Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Morning Sun
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The idea here is to take out hazard setters like Skarmory, Mamoswine, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn and Forretress without any hassle - plus later in the game cushion other mons against physical attackers. You still can't take out TTar or Galvantula, but you can't have everything! Again really good discovery November Blue, this might be a bit of a game changer.

EDIT 2: Fiddled the EVs a bit more, you'll want to run 200 HP, 188 Def and 120 Spe. This can outspeed a fully invested Jolly Mamoswine (with running HP Fire) and not be 2HKO'd by a fully invested Adamant Mamoswine, as you outspeed you'll want to go for the kill straight away with Grass Knot and ignore Baby-Doll Eyes (originally I thought you could escape a 3HKO from Mamoswine by using Baby-Doll Eyes but you can't if you don't outspeed). For Hippowdon you'll want to Baby-Doll Eyes in case of Crunch, same with Ferrothorn as it's easier to nerf its attack straight away, heal off some damage and then kill it with HP Fire if it's stupid enough to stay in.

Last edited:
Espeon has always seemed awkward to me. A fast, frail Psychic-type with an ability that'd be much better suited on something bulky that can switch into stuff without fearing a KO? It just became one of those frail, generic Psychics to me. It just happened to have a great ability. Now that we have Mega Absol (who learns Baton Pass too), Espeon might be in trouble.
If we're being completely honest, there is no "bulky" Pokemon with Magic Bounce. Espeon has the best bulk out of any Pokemon to have it, as Mega Absol has 60/60 defenses, and Xatu only has 70/70. Espeon has 60/95 which is still better than the other two.

The set that I used in Gen5 and still love to use is this one. Not the best but hey....it works easy

Modest w.Leftovers/Lifeorb
MagicBounce 252spatt 252speed 4hp
Psychic
HP Fire
Shadowball
MorningSun

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 176 Spd / 80 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

I just started trying this out to stop most hazard setters, with the speed evs given it outspeeds scarf genesect and can OHKO it with Hidden Power fire, the HP evs Makes it possible for it to actually live a bug buzz from a lead galvantula and still knock it out (though still not an ideal matchup).

252 SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 276-328 (97.5 - 115.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 254-300 (87.2 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 220-261 (78.2 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO/OHKO after Stealth Rock

Maybe it would be wise to invest in more speed but I honestly havent seen that many scarfers around except for the odd Rotom and Genesect a plenty. The added Bulk can come in handy against some hazard setters. Any opinions or improvements to the moveset/Evs would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Espeon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 176 Spd / 80 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

I just started trying this out to stop most hazard setters, with the speed evs given it outspeeds scarf genesect and can OHKO it with Hidden Power fire, the HP evs Makes it possible for it to actually live a bug buzz from a lead galvantula and still knock it out (though still not an ideal matchup).

252 SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 276-328 (97.5 - 115.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 254-300 (87.2 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 220-261 (78.2 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO/OHKO after Stealth Rock

Maybe it would be wise to invest in more speed but I honestly havent seen that many scarfers around except for the odd Rotom and Genesect a plenty. The added Bulk can come in handy against some hazard setters. Any opinions or improvements to the moveset/Evs would be really appreciated.
Running 92 SDef can guarantee a survival against Galvantula, so 240 SAtk / 92 SDef / 176 Spd seems a viable spread. Anyway, Choiced Espeon is basically asking Tyranitar or other Pursuit Trappers to come in.

Do you guys use Yawn as lead or bring Espeon in on a Magic Bounce to set up Yawn?

And has anyone tried using Yawn to BP Calm Minds?
- Yawn
- They most likely switch to a counter that is now forced to switch out next turn
- Reflect if you think they will stay to try and OHKO you or begin CM
- After 2 turns BP out to something else like Greninja or a Mega that could use the boost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)