Essay by a teacher in a black high school

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
"Blacks, on average, are the most directly critical people I have ever met: "Dat shirt stupid. Yo' kid a bastard. Yo' lips big." Unlike whites, who tread gingerly around the subject of race, they can be brutally to the point."

I found this line particularly amusing

edit:
"The students did not believe him. I told them Germany is in Europe, where white people are from, and Africa is where black people are from."

omfg it gets better and better rofl

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Seriously, reading some of the responses make me cringe. Half the comments are some derivative of: "this guy is such a racist", "this guy is so close minded", "this guy is an embarrassment to our education system and needs to be fired" etc. Fucking keyboard warriors probably can't actually rebut half the points made by the author. In so many ways they're even more of a joke than him. It's embarrassing.
I agree with most of your post, we should let people speak their minds even if they are inaccurate and biased, but do you honestly think its difficult to disprove his points? If (if) these anecdotes are true, he has taken his experiences in a area with kids that are poor and poorly raised and stated this is how all black people act and behave. He has made a hasty generalization, which is a fallacy and invalidates his argument that African Americans are stupid and uncivilized. His argument stems from his one experience, an experience that doesn't reflect correctly on the behavior of African Americans as a whole. I haven't even spent time dissecting his essay point by point and I still invalidated his entire argument. He is an embarrassment and should be fired if he can't tell that an experience in an impoverished area is no way to base a judgement on an entire race.

Bull of Heaven

If (if) these anecdotes are true, he has taken his experiences in a area with kids that are poor and poorly raised and stated this is how all black people act and behave. He has made a hasty generalization, which is a fallacy and invalidates his argument that African Americans are stupid and uncivilized. His argument stems from his one experience, an experience that doesn't reflect correctly on the behavior of African Americans as a whole.
Mr. Jackson said:
"Many black people make over $50,000 dollars a year and you would also be taking away from your own people," I said.
Mr. Jackson said:
There is a level of conformity among blacks that whites would find hard to believe. They like one kind of music: rap. They will vote for one political party: Democrat. They dance one way, speak one way, are loud the same way, and fail their exams in the same way. Of course, there are exceptions but they are rare.
Yeah, that just about does it for me. The obvious jabs at liberals were fun though. Way to detract from your own point about narrow worldviews, Mr. Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
90% of what he wrote is bigoted bullshit. But to be fair he does actually bring up a few true points, such as how a lot of black children are poorly raised and end up having a very narrow view of the world (much like the author himself ironically), and how there's a definite cultural barrier between blacks and whites in less progressive regions of the states, and how there are issues when it comes to holding students back, be it pressure to move them ahead or whatnot.

Like the reposter, I'm extremely disappointed that this essay was removed. It's not like the author wrote it in a malevolent or hostile manner or anything. He was merely trying to bring to attention his perspective, however flawed it may be. Honestly, when it comes to freedom of expression, it's you either allow everything except those that directly threaten people's well-being, or you don't allow anything at all. America claims itself to be some fucking beacon of freedom, yet even minute things like this get quashed on the spot. More restrictive societies move forward by enforcing some beliefs and censoring others, and are justified in doing so because that's precisely what makes those systems work. But for "freedom of expression" based societies, people should welcome these extremist viewpoints. If someone says something so blatantly wrong, it should be met with structured, refined criticism and debate, not labelled blasphemy and thrown to the wayside. By successfully refuting a "false" notion, you only strengthen the morals/values/opinions that are "correct". And if said "false" notion does undermine "the truth", then it's probably because your "truth" isn't as right as you thought. But at the very least, it allows for debate.

Seriously, reading some of the responses make me cringe. Half the comments are some derivative of: "this guy is such a racist", "this guy is so close minded", "this guy is an embarrassment to our education system and needs to be fired" etc. Fucking keyboard warriors probably can't actually rebut half the points made by the author. In so many ways they're even more of a joke than him. It's embarrassing.

And yes I realize the can of worms I just opened. I know that some idiot will start the argument "some things just should never be said", so I'll probably avoid this thread before it inevitably devolves into a cesspool. This is just my $0.02
idk how this essay could be interpreted as anything BUT hostile tbh

why would anybody waste their time refuting such a long, rambling piece of garbage as this essay? im certainly not going to, especially considering its author isn't even here and nobody is really defending what they wrote

not everything is deserving of critical analysis and not everything is worthy of people's time, and people dismissing it without much consideration does not suddenly make it more valid of an opinion

here's my problem with freedom of speech: too many people interpret it as freedom of not being criticized for an opinion
this guy is legally allowed to say whatever he like (well, not really, but im not in the mood to split hairs)
if somebody says or writes something hateful, close minded, and disgusting like this essay, people are welcome to criticize that person and their work (thats also protected under a ~~free society's rules~~)

this person is a racist, this person is close minded, and this person certainly shouldn't be teaching public school since he apparently doesn't even consider most of his class worth his time/human beings at all

i hope what you said about "keyboard warriors*" was just in the heat of the moment because if you really think they are more of a joke than the person who wrote this essay because they made a brief summation about their opinions on the essay then you better slow down and think about it again

*i could devote an essay about as long as the one posted in the op about why your attempt at using this derogatory term is very very silly- but ill surmise by saying that it is more "dismissive" than anything anybody else has said in this thread- something which you seem to hate so much- because its the false notion that the things that are said on the internet are just make believe, just pretend, that they do not influence how the real world operates. this is especially silly when you consider how heavy the hand of the internet is in modern society. people on the internet do not exist in some vacuum separate from the "real world", everything on the internet must be created and thought out by a living, breathing person who does exist in society and must interact with other people... marginalizing opinions in such a way is an attempt to reduce them to less than what they are by using ideology that is dated and harmful (ho ho, how ironic)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060806013255AAZuW7x

are black men really bigger?

also will someone tell me how to write shit instead of the url
Write the words you want to hyperlink. Highlight those words. Then click the paper clip like icon on the options board where you write your posts, it is to the right of the font options. A 'Link' box will pop up, copy and paste the website URL into the box labeled URL, and press insert.

It turns out like this.

America claims itself to be some fucking beacon of freedom, yet even minute things like this get quashed on the spot.
that's because unlike print and other media, craigslist (and, indeed, most websites) has terms of service/use that you agree to when you use the website. whether such things (and other informal, electronic "legal agreements" like EULAs etc.) are legally binding hasn't really been determined, but it's fully within the website's power to remove any material it doesn't want posted. it's not exactly oppressing anybody since if you want to spout thinly-veiled racist bullshit you can set up your own blog in about 8 seconds, or write a letter to the editor to whatever magazine/newspaper is willing to read and publish it. Freedom of Speech allows shit like stormfront.org to exist, but it doesn't mean a website is legally bound to allow something that practically constitutes hate speech.

also anyone who has claimed America to be a "beacon of freedom" since 2001 or so should be regarded with a bit of skepticism, and anyone who's done so since this past June is just as uninformed as Mr. Jackson

Personally I think it's more of a "stereotypical" southern setting the teacher is observing as well. He must be a northerner.

Last edited:
This honestly is pretty accurate, I use to go to a public school(one nowhere near the south) and the majority of the black people there acted how they were depicted in this essay.

YTP, we should call you Charles Barkley for all the racial issues you're solving single-handedly with your opinions. Keep on fighting the good fight. Sucks about you animals not knowing how to feel love, though.

itt: dismissing opinions of opinions being dismissed without real criticism without real criticism

might write real stuff later but anyways ya this dude is 'racist'

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
The original poster of this is obviously extremely racist, but I would like to give me own spin on this.

I went to a predominantly white/asian high school in the Metro Detroit area. In about 8th grade the rules changed about who was allowed to attend my school district and quite a few black families jumped at the opportunity to send their students to my high school instead of the Detroit high schools. Now there were extremely intelligent black people that moved to my school and some that were not so bright, just like there are extremely intelligent white people and those that others would consider to less bright. To me personally, it seemed like the black people that ended up moving to my district ended up doing worse in class than their white and asian counterparts. I think the main reason for that is not race, but in fact the funding and effort put into the Detroit school district. They had an extreme disadvantage in grades k -8 and it hurt them when they made it into high school. They didn't have the same opportunities that the students that had been in my district had, which put them extremely behind when they got moved in with us.

The way the teacher describes his school it seems like it could be very similar to the Detroit school district. The Detroit school district is extremely underfunded with little to no organization and teachers that are unmotivated to make a difference. In order for this to change we would have to increase the funding to poorer districts and create a situation where better teachers are willing to teach in those districts. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening any time soon, especially in Detroit with the bankruptcy issue, but it would be a nice thing to see.

At least in my situation many of the black students were able to adapt to a better learning environment, but the situation in the poorer schools is too awful for people to be expected to excel there, black or white.

thats a great point idiotfrommars. i go to a "hub" high school, drawing from 12 counties and a city. I have noticed that in general city kids will be performing lower. black, white, asian, it doesnt matter. while there always will be a few outliers, its definitely a trend.

Just throwing more money at schools won't help if the students don't want to learn, as is the case for a lot of students in poor districts.

Lol, you guys need to relax about racism.

If anyone knows me, they know I'm extremely liberal, but what the op in that essay was talking about was not a racial issue. He was referring to the culture that lower class African Americans have defined for themselves, and if you don't believe that is true, then come to New York and I'll take you around the ghetto and show you.

It is a serious issue, and I found the essay to be an interesting read. He is not bashing blacks, he is explaining the issue of African American culture. You can tell by his context, and he even does include that there are exceptions to this rule. However, he talks about a demographic, which is based on creating a central view for the given studied group.

I've viewed this at my college too. We are a very small, liberal arts school. We don't have too many black students, and most of them are foreign, not Africa. Americn. When you see the African American students, you see them displaying the cultural signs portrayed in this essay, not as extreme, since these kids are educated, but it is clear they are defining themselves by a set social paradigm. You never see non-american blacks acting this way. I've had conversations about this with one of my best friends, a African (black) man from Kenya, and we both agree its due to a terribly defined cultural standard set for the people.

The answer is to attack the problem at the root, but it's almost impossible.

Once again, I am attacking the culture, not the race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)