EV spreads: Offensive or defensive?

Hello folks!

I'm quite new to VGC and competetive pokemon as a whole. After I've played around with a more-or-less copy pasted team for a few weeks I'm starting to build another team and I've run into the ever-present question of EVs.

The question is essentially: What is better in VGC 2016, bulk or offense?

The specific pokemon that spawned this question is my untrained physical groudon. After doing a bit of research I found this really cool page:
http://australianterrain.hatenablog.com/entry/2015/12/16/032733
Where a suggested build allows groudon to survive a full powered earth power from another primal groudon. It made me wonder if it was really worth the investment for what you give up in speed and health. I do realise this specific question ties into wether a special defensive investment is worth it aswell ^^

I know that this all ties into personal preference and the team as a whole, but despite that I would really like to hear the general thoughts of more experienced VGC players on the topic.

vgc 2016 is currently really hyper-offensive, as with most beggining metas. Many run a bit of speed, but I perosnally run bulky as it helps me tank all sorts of things. In the end it comes down to your team. If u are running rayogre go for speed. Trick room go for bulk, double primal balance and big six leaning more to the speedy side, or just full speed stuff

There are 2 things with groudon: either let it live an earth power, or run max speed and hit hard. I prefer the latter, but bulk is useful under TR. Basically, the spread you choose is usually dependent on your team.

I make overtly complicated EV spreads, most of which revolve around tanking critical hits, and aside from obvious glass mons like Raichu and Alakazam, I basically never use 252/252/4 spreads.
And then we have Garchomp, who has mixed potential and great bulk: I just run 252/252/4 on it because I for some reason never calc'd to see if it lives anything relevent with minor investment.

My teams are usually in the bracket of "Faster than Trick Room, slower than offensive, and generally weird" so my bulky spreads are kinda team specific.
I dare say my spreads work very well though.

I make overtly complicated EV spreads, most of which revolve around tanking critical hits, and aside from obvious glass mons like Raichu and Alakazam, I basically never use 252/252/4 spreads.
And then we have Garchomp, who has mixed potential and great bulk: I just run 252/252/4 on it because I for some reason never calc'd to see if it lives anything relevent with minor investment.

My teams are usually in the bracket of "Faster than Trick Room, slower than offensive, and generally weird" so my bulky spreads are kinda team specific.
I dare say my spreads work very well though.
That's called balance :p