EV Training in Pokemon Emerald [GP 2/2]

Macle requested for a EV training guide for Pokemon Emerald so I decided to write it up so here it is, let me know if anything should be added, removed, or changed and ill get right on it.

--------------------

EV Training in Pokemon Emerald

Introduction

The following guide contains information on EV training in Pokemon Emerald. It will tell you all the necessary items you will need and where to get them. This guide also covers how to calculate your gained EVs and the hotspots for EV training in certain stats.

High Encountered Pokemon for EV Training

EV Training for HP

Whismur
Appearance Rate: 100%
EVs: 1 HP

EV Training for Attack

Poochyena
Appearance Rate: 45%
EVs: 1 Attack

Carvahna
Appearance Rate: 60% Fishing (Super Rod)

Shuppet

EV Training for Special Attack

Spinda
Appearance Rate: 70%
EVs: 1 Special Attack

EV Training for Special Defense

Tentacool
Appearance Rate: 99% (Surfing), 80% Fishing (Super Rod)
EVs: 1 Special Defense

Tentacruel
Appearance Rate: 1% (Surfing), 20% Fishing (Super Rod)
EVs: 2 Special Defense

EV Training for Speed

Zubat
Appearance Rate: 90%
EVs: 1 Speed

Golbat
Appearance Rate: 65% (Inner Cave), 90% (Inner Cave Surfing)
EVs: 2 Speed

Hotspots for EV Training over Multiple Pokemon

EV Training for HP

Desert Underpass
Pokemon: Loudred, Whismur, Ditto
Appearance Rates: 16%. 34%, 50% (100% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields HP EVs)
EVs: 2, 1, 1

EV Training for Attack

Route 121
Pokemon: Shuppet, Poochyena, Mightyena
Appearance Rates: 30%, 20%, 20% (70% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Attack EVs)
EVs: 1, 1, 2

EV Training for Defense

Magma Hideout
Pokemon: Graveler, Geodude, Torkoal
Appearance Rates: 15%, 50%, 35% (Inside Cave) (100% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Defense EVs)
EV's: 2, 1, 2

Route 114
Pokemon: Lombre, Lotad, Swablu
Appearance Rates: 20%, 30%, 40% (90% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Special Defense EVs)

EV Training for Speed

Route 118
Pokemon: Zigzagoon, Electrike, Wingull, Linoone, Manectric
Appearance Rates: 30%, 30%, 19%, 10%, 10% (99% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Speed EVs)
EVs: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Macho Brace

The Macho Brace is an item that will make EV training slightly easier because it doubles the EVs you gain in battle.

Where to find the Macho Brace?
The Macho Brace can be obtained from the Winstrate's House on Route 211 right above Mauville.

Pokerus

Pokerus is another handy tool in EV Training because it doubles the amount of EVs you gain in battle as well. The downside of Pokerus is that it is extremely hard to find.

How to find Pokerus?
Pokerus can be found by battling wild Pokemon in the grass and capturing a wild Pokemon infected with Pokerus.
When infected with Pokerus, there will be a purple "PKRS" sign in the status screen of the Pokemon. Pokerus will stay until the game's clock reaches midnight. Once the game hits midnight the Pokemon will be cleared of Pokerus and will no longer be able to infect others with it but it will still gain double the amount of EVs. Pokemon kept in the PC or Daycare with Pokerus will keep the infection as long as you do not withdraw them.

Secret Base EV Training

In Pokemon Emerald you can mix records with any other Pokemon Emerald, Ruby, or Sapphire game. Mixing records requires you to either have two of the above game cartridges and two Game Boy Advances, or know someone with them, which makes it a little harder to do. After mixing records, if you go to the location of your friend's Secret Base you mixed records with you can enter it. Inside will be an NPC and they will have the Pokemon party that your friend had at the time you mixed records. You can use this method by having your friend have a party of Pokemon who give 3 EVs in one stat, making EV training a lot easier and faster. Note that you need to have beaten the Elite Four for this to work and these battles can only be done once a day.

Ditto EV Training

In Pokemon Emerald, Ditto can be found in the Desert Underpass. Ditto can be used as a handy EV training tool and here is how. First you put the Pokemon you want EV trained in the first slot and a Pokemon who yields 3 EVs in the stat in which you're EV training in your party. Once you have encountered a Ditto switch to the Pokemon who yields 3 EVs, let Ditto transform into that Pokemon, and then KO the Ditto with the Pokemon you're EV training. The Pokemon you're EV Training has now gained 3 easy EVs.

Calculating EVs

1 EV + Macho Brace = 2 EVs
1 EV + Pokerus = 2 EVs
1 EV + Macho Brace + Pokerus = 4 EVs
2 EVs + Macho Brace = 4 EVs
2 EVs + Pokerus = 4 EVs
2 EVs + Macho Brace + Pokerus = 8 EVs
3 EVs + Macho Brace = 6 EVs
3 EVs + Pokerus = 6 EVS
3 EVs + Macho Brace + Pokerus = 12 EVs

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Jubilee, I have some additions to a few of the sections

EV Training for Attack

Route 121 has Poochyena and Shuppet for 1 Attack EV and Mightyena for 2 Attack EVs.

There are also slugma on route 113, which give 1 SpAtk EV.

EV Training for Speed

Route 118 has Electrike, Zigzagoon, and Wingull, which give 1 Speed EV point. Furthermore, it has Manectric and Linoone that give 2 Speed EVs. Also, it's good for higher level Pokemon.

Altering Cave on Route 102 also has 100% zubat. There was a way to change the Pokemon that appear there, but I'm not sure if it was released over mystery gift. Therefore, its just zubat 100% of the time without modification.

This thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65656 has some more information about EV training in Emerald and may be worth taking a look at. Perhaps, mention using the secret base function that lets you battle another trainer in their base by mixing records as a form of EV training. This method is also mentioned in the thread I linked to earlier.

Hey Jubilee, I have some additions to a few of the sections

EV Training for Attack

Route 121 has Poochyena and Shuppet for 1 Attack EV and Mightyena for 2 Attack EVs.

There are also slugma on route 113, which give 1 SpAtk EV.

EV Training for Speed

Route 118 has Electrike, Zigzagoon, and Wingull, which give 1 Speed EV point. Furthermore, it has Manectric and Linoone that give 2 Speed EVs. Also, it's good for higher level Pokemon.

Altering Cave on Route 102 also has 100% zubat. There was a way to change the Pokemon that appear there, but I'm not sure if it was released over mystery gift. Therefore, its just zubat 100% of the time without modification.

This thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65656 has some more information about EV training in Emerald and may be worth taking a look at. Perhaps, mention using the secret base function that lets you battle another trainer in their base by mixing records as a form of EV training. This method is also mentioned in the thread I linked to earlier.
Added a part about Secret Base EV Training.
I will add the locations when I have time, thanks for pointing these out!
EDIT: I added in a "Hotspot EV Training Routes" section as well, I found it pointless to add like 10 pokemon to one list when some of them are on the same route, ill find some more routes tomorrow.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Ditto is a very good source of EVs because it gives the EVs of whatever it transforms into. It's a very common encounter in the Desert Underpass up by Fallarbor town. (You can just run from the Whismur/Loudred that show up) Here's what you do:
Slot 1: Your wimpy pokemon that you want to EV train. Maybe hold a smoke ball.
Slot 2: Your high level, 3EV pokemon. I'll use Sceptile for this example.

If you encounter a Whismur/Loudred, just run.
If you encounter a Ditto:
Round 1 - You switch to Sceptile, Ditto transforms into Sceptile.
Round 2 - Your Sceptile OHKOs the Ditto-Sceptile. Your wimpy pokemon earns 3 speed EVs.

It's just another option, but it's better than fighting wild 1EV pokemon. Also, it doesn't need as much effort to set up as the secret base way.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Ditto is a very good source of EVs because it gives the EVs of whatever it transforms into. It's a very common encounter in the Desert Underpass up by Fallarbor town. (You can just run from the Whismur/Loudred that show up) Here's what you do:
Slot 1: Your wimpy pokemon that you want to EV train. Maybe hold a smoke ball.
Slot 2: Your high level, 3EV pokemon. I'll use Sceptile for this example.

If you encounter a Whismur/Loudred, just run.
If you encounter a Ditto:
Round 1 - You switch to Sceptile, Ditto transforms into Sceptile.
Round 2 - Your Sceptile OHKOs the Ditto-Sceptile. Your wimpy pokemon earns 3 speed EVs.

It's just another option, but it's better than fighting wild 1EV pokemon. Also, it doesn't need as much effort to set up as the secret base way.
I was not aware of this, however this seems alittle time consuming and I would rather just battle 3 1 EV Pokemon then find a Ditto, Switch to 3 EV Pokemon, wait untill it is KOed (Depending on the NPC's move choice this could take a few turns), and then have to revive the 3 EV Pokemon again and again.
Ill add this in if more people weigh in on it / think it deserves a mention, regardless thanks for the comment.

I was not aware of this, however this seems alittle time consuming and I would rather just battle 3 1 EV Pokemon then find a Ditto, Switch to 3 EV Pokemon, wait untill it is KOed (Depending on the NPC's move choice this could take a few turns), and then have to revive the 3 EV Pokemon again and again.
I think you misunderstood. This only takes 2 rounds, and you never let yourself get KO'd. (Where did you get that from anyway?) Round 1, you switch. Round 2, you KO the wild Ditto.

I think you misunderstood. This only takes 2 rounds, and you never let yourself get KO'd. (Where did you get that from anyway?) Round 1, you switch. Round 2, you KO the wild Ditto.
Ahh very sorry I did misunderstand your post, That does seem quite easy, ill add in a part about it, thanks!
EDIT: Added it in. Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ok well I guess this is ready for GP checks unless theres something else anyone else thinks should be added.
EDIT: Edited the guide alittle bit so its less confusing.
If anyone is wondering why there is no "High Encountered Pokemon for EV Training" for Defense is because I removed the ones I had listed and placed them into the routes section since they were all on the same route. This left the Defense EV training spot blank since there were NO other places that I could find with Pokemon that yields Defense EVs and has a high appearance rate besides the ones I have listed in the routes section...

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Grammar-Prose Check 1/2:
additions/changes/comments in blue
removals in red

Introduction
(space)
The following guide contains information on EV training in Pokemon Emerald. It will tell you all the necessary items you will need and where to get them. (period) This guide also goes over on how to calculate your gained EVs (removed comma) and the hotspot places for EV training in certain stats.

EV Training for HP

Whismur

EV Training for Attack

Poochyena

Carvahna

Shuppet

Spinda

Tentacool

Tentacruel

EV Training for Speed

Zubat

Golbat

Hotspot Places for EV Training over Multiple Pokemon

(i think it's more clear with those words.)

EV Training for HP

Desert Underpass
Appearance Rates: 16%. 34%, 50% (100% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields HP EVs)

EV Training for Attack

Route 121
Appearance Rates: 30%, 20%, 20% (70% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Attack EVs)

EV Training for Defense

Magma Hideout
Appearance Rates: 15%, 50%, 35% (Inside Cave) (100% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Defense EVs)

EV Training for Speed

Route 118
Appearance Rates: 30%, 30%, 19%, 10%, 10% (89% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Speed EVs)

Macho Brace
(space)
The Macho Brace is a (remove) an item that will make EV training slightly easier because it doubles the EVs (backspaced)you gain in battle.

The Macho Brace can be given to you from the Winstrates house on Route 211 right above Mauville.

Pokerus
(space)
Pokerus is another handy tool in EV Training because it doubles the amount of EVs you gain in (backspaced)battle as well. (period) The downfall of Pokerus is that it is extremely hard to find.

How to find Pokerus?
Pokerus can be found by battling wild Pokemon in the grass and capturing a wild Pokemon (backspaced)infected with Pokerus.
When infected with Pokerus there will be a "PKRS" sign in the status screen of the Pokemon. (backspaced)Pokerus will stay until the game's clock reaches midnight. (period) Once the game hits midnight the (backspaced)Pokemon will be cleared of Pokerus and will no longer be able to infect others with it but it will still (backspaced) gain double the amount of EVs. Pokemon kept in the PC or Daycare with Pokerus will keep (backspaced)the infection indefinitely.

Secret Base EV Training
(space)
In Pokemon Emerald you can mix records with any other Pokemon Emerald, Ruby, or Sapphire game. Mixing records requires you to either have two of the above game cartridges and two GameBoy Advances, or know someone with them, which makes it a little harder to do. After mixing records, (comma) if you go to the location of your friend's Secret Base you mixed records with you can enter it. Inside will be an NPC and they will have the Pokemon party they had at the time you mixed records. You can use this method by having your friend have a party of Pokemon who give 3 EVs in one stat, (comma) making EV training a lot easier and faster. Note that you need to beat the Elite Four for this to work and these battles can only be done once a day.

Ditto EV Training
(space)
In Pokemon Emerald, (comma) Ditto can be found in the Desert Underpass. Ditto can be used as a handy EV training tool and here is how. First you put the Pokemon you want EV trained in the first slot and a Pokemon who yields 3 EVs in the stat you're EV training in in your party. Once you have encountered a Ditto switch to the Pokemon who yields 3 EVs, (comma) and let Ditto transform into that Pokemon, and KO the Ditto. (period) and The Pokemon you're EV Training now gained 3 easy EVs.

Calculating EVs

1 EV + Pokerus = 2 EVs
2 EVs + Pokerus = 4 EVs
3 EVs + Pokerus = 6 EVS

Avoid run-on sentences; these usually happen when you use commas at places where periods should be. "who" > "that" due to the Pokemon are people rule. Make sure to fix your spacings as well.

Also... I thought about doing this beforehand but forgot to put this in. I think you should change "hotspot places" to "hotspots" since "hotspot routes" is gone. This would read much nicer. You would do the changes in the introduction and the "Hotspot Places for EV Training over Multiple Pokemon".

Otherwise... nice job.

For special defense, i think route 114 is a good place, with swablu/lotad appearing 70% of the time, and lombre (who gives two SpD evs) appearing 20% of the time.

For speed, you added route 118 wrong, it comes up to 99%, since the only other pokemon is keckleon, at 1%.

for mixed pokemon attack, toute 120 has poochyena, absol, and mightyena.

also, perhaps a section on doing speed/attack or speed/SpA simultaneously. same with HP/defenses

For special defense, i think route 114 is a good place, with swablu/lotad appearing 70% of the time, and lombre (who gives two SpD evs) appearing 20% of the time.

For speed, you added route 118 wrong, it comes up to 99%, since the only other pokemon is keckleon, at 1%.

for mixed pokemon attack, toute 120 has poochyena, absol, and mightyena.

also, perhaps a section on doing speed/attack or speed/SpA simultaneously. same with HP/defenses
Added Route 114 for Special Defense.
Fixed, thanks for catching that.
And I will look into the mixed EV Routes when I have time, thanks!

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A GP check is a many splendored thing

GP Check 2/2

Deletions
Additions

Introduction

The following guide contains information on EV training in Pokemon Emerald. It will tell you all the necessary items you will need and where to get them. This guide also goes over on covers how to calculate your gained EVs and the hotspots places for EV training in certain stats.

EV Training for HP

Whismur

EV Training for Attack

Poochyena

Carvahna

Shuppet

Spinda

Tentacool

Tentacruel

EV Training for Speed

Zubat

Golbat

Hotspots Places for EV Training over Multiple Pokemon

EV Training for HP

Desert Underpass

EV Training for Attack

Route 121

EV Training for Defense

Magma Hideout

Route 114
Pokemon: Lombre, Lotad, Swablu
Appearance Rates: 20%, 30%, 40% (90% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Special Defense EVs)

EV Training for Speed

Route 118
Appearance Rates: 30%, 30%, 19%, 10%, 10% (99% chance to encounter a Pokemon who yields Speed EVs)

Macho Brace

The Macho Brace is an item that will make EV training slightly easier because it doubles the EVs you gain in battle.

The Macho Brace can be given to you obtained from the Winstrates house Winstrate's House on Route 211 right above Mauville.

Pokerus

Pokerus is another handy tool in EV Training because it doubles the amount of EVs you gain in battle as well. The downfall downside of Pokerus is that it is extremely hard to find.

How to find Pokerus?
Pokerus can be found by battling wild Pokemon in the grass and capturing a wild Pokemon infected with Pokerus.
When infected with Pokerus, there will be a "PKRS" sign in the status screen of the Pokemon. Pokerus will stay until the game's clock reaches midnight. Once the game hits midnight the Pokemon will be cleared of Pokerus and will no longer be able to infect others with it but it will still gain double the amount of EVs. Pokemon kept in the PC or Daycare with Pokerus will keep the infection indefinitely as long as you do not withdraw them.

Secret Base EV Training

In Pokemon Emerald you can mix records with any other Pokemon Emerald, Ruby, or Sapphire game. Mixing records requires you to either have two of the above game cartridges and two Game Boy Advances, or know someone with them, which makes it a little harder to do. After mixing records, if you go to the location of your friend's Secret Base you mixed records with you can enter it. Inside will be an NPC and they will have the Pokemon party they that your friend had at the time you mixed records. You can use this method by having your friend have a party of Pokemon who give 3 EVs in one stat, making EV training a lot easier and faster. Note that you need to have beaten beat the Elite Four for this to work and these battles can only be done once a day.

Ditto EV Training

In Pokemon Emerald, Ditto can be found in the Desert Underpass. Ditto can be used as a handy EV training tool and here is how. First you put the Pokemon you want EV trained in the first slot and a Pokemon who yields 3 EVs in the stat in which you're EV training in in your party. Once you have encountered a Ditto switch to the Pokemon who yields 3 EVs, and let Ditto transform into that Pokemon, and then KO the Ditto with the Pokemon you're EV training. and The Pokemon you're EV Training has now gained 3 easy EVs.

Calculating EVs

1 EV + Pokerus = 2 EVs
2 EVs + Pokerus = 4 EVs
3 EVs + Pokerus = 6 EVS
AromaFlora covered most of the formatting, spelling, and grammar so I'm just patching up the prose. Looks good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)